January 31st, 2008

What do you think of tonight's Democratic debate?

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/2008/POLITICS/01/31/dem.debate/art.theatre.cnn.jpg caption=" The Kodak Theatre is also home of the Academy Awards ceremony."] We want your real-time reactions to what Obama and Clinton are saying. Do agree or disagree? Who's making the most persuasive arguments? Are they addressing the issues or just being combative? Who's dodging the questions? What would you ask the candidates? Sound off by adding your comment below.

Filed under: CNN Debate
soundoff (2,377 Responses)
  1. Andrea Lipstein

Hillary answers the questions specifically with details; Obama doesn't. When Obama is pushed to answer specifically, he fumbles, mumbles, and then only afterwards will only reiterate what Hillary has said. He also tried the 'one upmanship', by straining his head, while seated, to be higher than Hillary. He looked like a giraffe.

January 31, 2008 10:48 pm at 10:48 pm |
  2. Shauna

CALIFORNIA 4 BARACK OBAMA!!!!

I agree with the comment that was posed tonight-we have had the Bush/Clinton families in office for more than a decade. IT IS TIME FOR A REEAAL CHANGE!!! Our country is hoping and ready for something new and different that will clean up all of this rhetoric and covert manipulations from the so-called presedental elects who were "for the people".

January 31, 2008 10:48 pm at 10:48 pm |
  3. Connie L

If the Democrats want to win...pick Hillary.....She has definitely outsmarted Barack Obama....I think he can be in the Cabinet or maybe something else.....HILLARY WON TONIGHT!!!!!

January 31, 2008 10:48 pm at 10:48 pm |
  4. Sonali

For saying the truth that she won the debate!

Also I today the spin masters are bit more neutral and I am grateful for that.

January 31, 2008 10:48 pm at 10:48 pm |
  5. BG from chicago

wow a great debate. but there were a lot of flaws in their health care plans i picked out that i wish cnn had asked about... darn

January 31, 2008 10:49 pm at 10:49 pm |
  6. Terry

Why doesn't any one ever ask her why we should believe that her family won't disgrace our white house and our country the way it did before...and why should we put them back in it. If we get Hillary...we get Bill...been there...done that...don't want it again.

January 31, 2008 10:49 pm at 10:49 pm |
  7. Bernard (Virginia)

Their healthcare plans are virtually the same...how can you say Sen Clinton's plan is "superior"?

January 31, 2008 10:49 pm at 10:49 pm |
  8. Jayhawk34

Elizabeth-you blame Bush for the war, but fail to acknowledge the BALANCE OF POWERS???

January 31, 2008 10:50 pm at 10:50 pm |
  9. Marie7

Clinton/Obama if ever, and not the other way around. Obama can be president in 8 more years, and by then he will have the experience he really does need to do this incredibly import job.

I am SO SICK OF THE MEDIA SLAMMING HILLARY AND BILL CLINTON. YOU ARE ALL SO OBVIOUSLY AGAINST BOTH OF THEM.

The media has been unfair to Hillary and Bill Clinton ever since this race began.

Why don't you guys dig more into Obama's life and put him under the microscope the way the Clinton's have been?

Everyone I know is sick of the unfair bias of the media against Hillary.

Wise up newscasters, and all media people.

January 31, 2008 10:50 pm at 10:50 pm |
  10. Jimmy O

If Integrity, honesty, ethical behavior matters to you. The reject the scandals of the Clintons. Vote to prevent Hillary and her spouse from returning to WH. America deserves better.

January 31, 2008 10:50 pm at 10:50 pm |
  11. macia

the debate was not done to get a winner but to allow the candidates to air out their policy proposal to the american people. for those young and inspired obama voters out there, look to substance and talk to grown ups about the facts of life then you will be filtering over all that was said and voting for someone who can get the job done properyly, istead of trying to pick a winner. if you want a movie star go to hollywood. the choices you make today will shape many lives tommorrow. so please stop the nonsence and start asking real questions. hillary was clearly more knowledgeable.

as for wolf, the media has always been biased agianst Hill so his actions and the questions from politico(the guy is always on cnn) was all desingned to try to give obama an edge. he tried to start a problem but she rose above that .
    the media wants to pick our president like they picked the last one and look what it got us into

January 31, 2008 10:50 pm at 10:50 pm |
  12. Shelley

You wanted to know that if Obama could go toe–toe with Clinton (meaning Hillary) ? Well, I'm confident that he gave us the details on why he is clearly the better candidate! He did a great job of explaining his proposed healthcare plan. As a disabled, 38 year old female and mother of 4 I am more confident in his haealthcare plan than Hillary's plan. Obama also, proved his point that her so-called "experience " does not necessarily prove that she will ultimately do what are the right things for America! Thanks to Bush we can't afford any more blunders based upon her kind of "experience."

January 31, 2008 10:50 pm at 10:50 pm |
  13. Bob

I prefer the views of Barack Obama overall... he seems more genuine and sincere for the concerns of other people. I feel he is more believable, and can bring all people together for changes for the greater good.

January 31, 2008 10:50 pm at 10:50 pm |
  14. Maribel- FOR HILLARY

Way to go HILLARY!! You are the woman for 08.

ALL LATINOS IN TEXAS FOR HILLARY!!!

January 31, 2008 10:50 pm at 10:50 pm |
  15. Equality

I think CNN was very partial in hosting the Debate tonight! They are controlling who gets more coverage, basically have been dictating and spinning this thing! The are partly to blame why some canidates are not in this thing. Now that Edwards is out they are spinning towards one Candidate.

One more comment! It was unnecessary for Hillary to specify the race of the gentlemen in Atlanta in her example of immigration. IT WAS DIVISIVE especially on that topic and it turned me off! No other candidate has done that! It was very low and that has defined has come to define the Clintons.

January 31, 2008 10:50 pm at 10:50 pm |
  16. sheryl rogel

I do not want another Clinton in the White House. If we do return to the Clinton good years, we will return to a time when in reality that good life was bought on credit cards. Wages did not match our bills at that time and certainly do not presently as wages still have not increased to match the increases of housing, food, health care, and gas costs. And we are now limited in our access to credit. Check it out!

January 31, 2008 10:50 pm at 10:50 pm |
  17. B Swiader

For the debate, I think they both wanted to show unity and get away from the past few days picture and spouse remarks. Both it seems wanted to express their pluses and points of view rather that talk about the other perceived negatives.

I think they both did a good job in defending what they stood for but thought they both could have contered just a little harder of their differences. I thought out of the two, Barack did better with that.

Barack would have the edge, I believe when going against the Republicans on Iraq. (because of his opposition) This will end up being one of the hard differences between parties and should be interesting when it's party vs party.

I think either would make a great leader for the country and it would be something if it made sense to see both on the final ticket for the Democratic nomination as Pres and VP. Should that happen, I don't think the Republicans have a combination that could withstand them.

I think it's great that other countries have the opportunity to see our process either on airwaves, or through the net and am always curious to what they think about all this.

January 31, 2008 10:50 pm at 10:50 pm |
  18. Alex

Obama was awesome when speaking about Iraq. Hillary kept saying she voted for inspectors, which is NOT TRUE. It was an authorization of war and she knew exactly what she was voting for. The inspectors comment is simply a cover up to her mistake in voting for war. Why can't she admit she made a mistake like Edwards did?

GO OBAMA

January 31, 2008 10:51 pm at 10:51 pm |
  19. MARY ALTORFER

I'm sick of listening to that pompous hypocrite Bill Bennett commenting on the debate and insisting that Hillary Clinton won. As a Republican, he would like nothing better than to run against Hillary Clinton. Go Obama!

January 31, 2008 10:51 pm at 10:51 pm |
  20. Van Guiragossian

I was very impressed with both Senator Clinton and Senator Obama in their answers of solving the problems of our country. They both understand the problems we are facing and I believe that either one of them is capable to solve the problems we are facing. I believe they will make a great team and hopefully they will run as "President and Vice President " Team. They will unite the country and make the critical decisions for our nation.

Van Guiragossian

January 31, 2008 10:51 pm at 10:51 pm |
  21. The Truth

I loved it. I'm proud to be a Democrat and support Hillary 100%..but I know after tonight, that no matter who wins the nomination I will cast my vote for the democratic candidate in the presidential election.

January 31, 2008 10:51 pm at 10:51 pm |
  22. Gricelda

Obama clearly is more focused on the real issues at hand. Clinton is more focused on what she has done in the past than what needs to be done in the future!

They both did a great job on putting the differences a side and letting people see beyond the bickering and focus on the elections.

January 31, 2008 10:51 pm at 10:51 pm |
  23. A. Cancela

When I saw both candidates on the CNN debate tonight I felt like I was looking at our next President, and Vice-President. In my opinion, a Clinton-Obama ticket is definitely the winning ticket for the upcoming election.

Both candidates seem to have similar platforms, but even their differences seem to complment each other. Their election would be the epitomy of the "checks and balances" that our country is supposed to have been built upon. Clinton represents the experience needed for the United States to regain a sound footing globally, and Obama represents the unity needed to get there.

I am confident that if these two powerhouses decided to come together it would be a win-win situation for this country. It would mean that America would finally have a voice in the White House, and thereby ensure that the issues and needs of this country would actually be met.

January 31, 2008 10:51 pm at 10:51 pm |
  24. Jeff

Bush-Clinton-Bush-Clinton. Give me a break. With over 250 million people in the United States, can't we elect someone not named Bush or Clinton. Go Obama!

January 31, 2008 10:52 pm at 10:52 pm |
  25. Andria

What is with a Hollywood audience? I think it makes a mockery out of a presidential debate to discuss America's hardships in front of an audience of people who don't live in the 'real' world. Poor to no thought was given to this venue.

January 31, 2008 10:52 pm at 10:52 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96