February 1st, 2008

Blitzer: Another record-breaking night

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/2008/images/01/21/art.wolfdebate.cnn.jpg caption="More than 8 million voters tuned in last night."]NEW YORK (CNN) - I am now back in New York after taking the red-eye from LA. My job may not necessarily be as glamorous as it sounds - but I am not complaining at all.

I was honored to represent CNN at the debate between Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama. It was historic - the first time we saw a woman and an African-American together on the stage poised to become the Democratic presidential nominee. The excitement at the Kodak Theater was palpable.

Going into the debate, I was a little nervous. I knew millions of people would be watching. And indeed, they were. We now know that a record 8.3 million watched in the United States – more than any other presidential primary debate on cable news ever. The previous record was the 4.9 million who watched our Democratic debate in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina earlier in January. Many millions more watched the debate on CNNPolitics.com, and on CNN International around the world.

I want to thank my debate partners, Doyle McManus of The Los Angeles Times and Jeanne Cummings of Politico.com, for joining me in the questioning. When I introduced them last night as excellent journalists, I spoke the truth. I have worked with them over the years covering many stories, and they really are among the best in the business.

Now, we get ready for Super Tuesday. It will be an enormous challenge for those of us in the television news business. But we at CNN have the best political team on television, and I can promise you this – we will be ready for all the action.

–CNN Anchor Wolf Blitzer

Filed under: Wolf Blitzer
  1. CC

Wolf, I'm an Obama supporter – but do you think that question to Hillary about being naive was a bit pointed? I know that was the only time during the debate where there were a couple of boos from the audience.

A lot of people I spoke to after the debate remarked that they felt that the panel gave Hillary a harder time than Obama.

February 1, 2008 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  2. anonymous

Wolf you dissapointed me last night. your supposed to be objective, let the voters decide!!! Several times during the night the way you proposed certain questions to hillary, it was quite obvious you favor obama. You were booed, and all of america heard someone from the audience tell you "shame on you wolf"

You should be ashamed.

February 1, 2008 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  3. Joe

I agree with Karen. Wolf is Pro-Hillary.

February 1, 2008 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  4. Roz

Hey Wolf,

I was pleased with the Candidates but not with your conduct. Trying to suck them into an arguement. Reaching back at Bills adminstration for a jab. Taking pot shots 'that was a slap at you Hillary". Just report the true facts for a change and try being a fair moderator next time. This is about the candidates not what DIRT and MUD you want to scratch up. As a reporter you know how to conduct yourself. If you want to start a talk show and take jabs go for it. Have a little more tact. After all you do work for "CNN The most Trusted Name in News" Try not to tarnish that with Jerry Springer tactics.

February 1, 2008 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  5. jlumain

Keep up the excellent work Mr. Blitzer. I wish that you could have a rematch with Mr. Dick Cheney in order to find out what they really were thinking when they went to war in Iraq. Again thanks for the best in journalism.

February 1, 2008 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  6. lorraine Garrett

I felt that the only uncomfortable or devisive remarks in this debate came from you;suggesting several times that Mr. Obama was targeting Ms.Clinton. I did not appreciate it or think that it added to the dialogue.

February 1, 2008 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  7. observer

This debate will go in the history books, too bad you will be known as the guy who showed so much favortism. (duh, how will you control your husband) Uncalled for and unfair.

February 1, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  8. Damian

Mr. Blitzer, it's sad to say that you lost your objctive questioning last night, and at one point I was wondring if YOU were debating with Mrs. Clinton. Poor show, you let your proffessional conduct slide. It's a shame becuase for most of the debate you did fine... just towards the end, you couldn't help yourself.

February 1, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  9. charlotte

JohnS can't you be a little more original, you're as redundant as your Idol. Wolf, I thought you did just fine. It was a historical moment regardless of the final outcome. Super Tuesday is no big deal for me, I voted long ago by absentee ballot. It will be interesting at the very least. I think Hillary will win a majority of states. The southern states will no doubt go to Obama.

February 1, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  10. James Izzard

Hey Wolf........

Your continued mistreatment of Hillary Clinton was once again shown last night.

Calling a presidential candidate "naive" in the middle of a debate is as tasteless and unamerican as your censorship of these comments.

You are a non-entity unto yourself.

February 1, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  11. Sabrina

Great job Wolf!! This was wonderful, we got to learn some thing about the issues instead of the bickering. Loved it, my daughter in Ca. called at every break, we both thought Hillary won the debate. of course we did, we love Hillary! She has the most experience!!! Hillary in 08!!!!

February 1, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  12. Steve Biko

Good job Wolf ... It was an interesting debate and we now know who we arew goint to vote for on Tuesday.

Steve Biko

February 1, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  13. Michael J

Great Job last night! It really was a historical event. The true place for politics is CNN.
    I'll be tuned in all day Super 'Duper' Tuesday.

February 1, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  14. PT

Wolf,

i think you are a terrific journalist but i think you, gloria borger, et al have been a "love-in" with Obama for way too long now. It's getting to be very transparent. Cover the candidates......equally, all of them, including Hilary Clinton.

February 1, 2008 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  15. MARYLOU JONES

COULD WE PLEASE HAVE SOME "REAL" JOURNALISM FROM CNN AND NOT "ENQUIRER" FARE? CNN, YOU ARE ALL WE HAVE. FOX AND MSNBC ARE SO OBVIOUSLY BIASED THAT I CAN'T EVEN WATCH THEIR CHANNELS EVEN THOUGH I LOVE SHEPPARD SMITH. QUIT WITH THE SLEAZE AND LETS REPORT THE FACTS! WE ARE NOT STUPID AND IT IS GETTING SOOOO OLD! LET'S TREAT THE WOMAN CANDIDATE WITH THE SAME RESPECT THAT ALL THE MEN GET!

February 1, 2008 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  16. Hector

Why do you dislike Hillary Clinton so much? Why do you spend so much time criticizing her and appraising Obama? You are supposed to be objective...

February 1, 2008 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  17. Jim ( Independent )

You did a wonderful job last night Wolf , you gave it your best shot , and STILL did not get Clinton to admit to her mistake............HUMMMMMMMM..........Sounds like BUSH to me.

February 1, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  18. d

Dear Wolf – you're a talking head, not a decision-maker. Hope this helps.

February 1, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  19. Mike Brisbin

It is clear from watching last night that Wolf Blitzer has an axe to grind with Hillary Clinton. Not sure what that stems from but it was quite obvious and cheapened his participation in the event. Come to think of it Anderson Cooper also seems to dislike Hillary based on the tone of his comment Tuesday evening that Hillary wanted to discuss the Florida vote and withdrew interviews on Monday.

While everyone knows anchors have a perspective, you at CNN are supposed to check it at the door and be objective in your reporting.... at least that is what you represent to the viewer. If I want an anchors biased view point I will go to a channel known for that type of commentary. I turn to CNN because in the past you have been objective. Get back to what made you the standard for objective reporting. Thanks!

February 1, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  20. Carol

Last night you seemed biased against Senator Clinton. This was disappointing. You are there to moderate not promote.

February 1, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  21. peter

It was great , great job Wolf

February 1, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  22. suzie from Atlanta, GA

WOLF!!!! YOU WERE GREAT!!! PROFESSIONAL, CALM, JUST PERFECT!!
    Thanks so much for being so great, and making it look so easy, and LISTENING to us, and delivering the BEST debate this country has EVER seen.

I just think you are the BEST, and I thank you for your hard work last night. And don't pay attention to those who say you favored one over the other, because it was not so. You were totally objective.
    thanks so much.

February 1, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  23. Betsy Ashton

Thank you for moderating perhaps the best debate yet. Putting the two candidates on the same side of the table is an old negotiating trick, but it worked. The questions were first rate and your follow up questions kept the pressure on the candidates to move off the stump message and into real meat. This is the best reality TV yet. Keep up the good work.

February 1, 2008 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  24. Joseph

I didn't notice any favoritism at all. I think you did a great job for both democratic debates. keep up the good work.

Joseph,

February 1, 2008 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  25. Bob

I thought that the last debates you moderated turned into a mess (maybe nothing you could have done with the amped up union crowd or the following one with the candidates arguing so roughly).

However, I think you did quite a good job last night keeping the questions flowing and keeping the candidates from eluding them as best as is really possible.

February 1, 2008 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |