February 1st, 2008

Blitzer: Another record-breaking night

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/2008/images/01/21/art.wolfdebate.cnn.jpg caption="More than 8 million voters tuned in last night."]NEW YORK (CNN) - I am now back in New York after taking the red-eye from LA. My job may not necessarily be as glamorous as it sounds - but I am not complaining at all.

I was honored to represent CNN at the debate between Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama. It was historic - the first time we saw a woman and an African-American together on the stage poised to become the Democratic presidential nominee. The excitement at the Kodak Theater was palpable.

Going into the debate, I was a little nervous. I knew millions of people would be watching. And indeed, they were. We now know that a record 8.3 million watched in the United States – more than any other presidential primary debate on cable news ever. The previous record was the 4.9 million who watched our Democratic debate in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina earlier in January. Many millions more watched the debate on CNNPolitics.com, and on CNN International around the world.

I want to thank my debate partners, Doyle McManus of The Los Angeles Times and Jeanne Cummings of Politico.com, for joining me in the questioning. When I introduced them last night as excellent journalists, I spoke the truth. I have worked with them over the years covering many stories, and they really are among the best in the business.

Now, we get ready for Super Tuesday. It will be an enormous challenge for those of us in the television news business. But we at CNN have the best political team on television, and I can promise you this – we will be ready for all the action.

–CNN Anchor Wolf Blitzer

Filed under: Wolf Blitzer
  1. Belinda

Wolf Blitzer is so transparently a Clinton supporter. Give me Brian Williams, Tim Russert or Anderson Cooper. Wolf needs to stick to the weather

February 1, 2008 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  2. paul, nyc ny

I do have to agree with some about promoting Obama over Hillary on CNN. I have been a huge fan of both the site and the tv channel but reading or watching every story about the two of them with little reporting leading with Hillary if it could be positive is getting me to the point of wanting to switch to another outlet.

You report that JFK's daughter, brother and nephew are endorsing Obama several times but no mention of how 3 of Bobby Kennedy's kids (Bobby being a huge civil rights candidate) endorsing Hillary. You mention Obama's things over and over again but never Hillary's.

Wolf, get off your high horse! Get off your "i know better" mentality. As well, STOP saying the BEST POLITICAL TEAM on TV! Just stop!!!!

February 1, 2008 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  3. George

Wolf,
    Last night's debate was excellent. Altough you tried–hard at times–to get Hillary and Barack to attack each other they did well and they were both very presidential. I wish that the the cost of war–treasure–and the economic consequences of environmental negect become more prominent by the Democrats and media, as well, in the presidential race.
    Let's hope that Hillary supporters start thinking about winning this race against the Republicans and not merely support a female canditate. Obama presents the strongest chance for Democrats to change the mind set and the debate on national priorities. Think about the future and a united country. Hillary cannot do that.

February 1, 2008 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |
  4. Vale

I was very disappointed when CNN limited the the Republican Debate to two candidates, rather than the four who were on stage. The staging was such that the two most focused on candidates sat together, closest to the moderator. I think CNN did a terrible disservice to the American public.

February 1, 2008 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  5. archie h.

Wolfie the "Blitzer" all puffed up over his liberal role in choosing a democrat for president! What has this campaign for president become other than a partisan farce!

February 1, 2008 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  6. Nadia

to tell Hillary that she was bit naive is insulting, it shows you do not have respect for her (bc she is a woman?). Would you dare to ask the same question to a man?
    It looks like you did not understand at all what she was talking about -otherwise how could you ask such a "naive" question yourself?

February 1, 2008 09:59 pm at 9:59 pm |
  7. Tom Oriola

Only the Democratic party could have a night like that. In less then a year they will be either a Woman or a African-American President of this great country.

February 1, 2008 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |
  8. John

It was a big mistake to call Hillary naive during the debate, it is not your job to be Obama campaign's spokesperson. It certainly looked like an intentional piling on Hillary to drag on the iraq vote issue. Losing respect to your name...

February 1, 2008 10:05 pm at 10:05 pm |
  9. mar

cnn use to be the network when it comes to news but not anymore since the peolpe like wolf deciden to make it their network to favor or try to disrupt the election process with silly questions and favorable toward some canditates
    then you have robin in the am who dresses very unprofessional (low tops) i find the network offensive these days

February 1, 2008 10:11 pm at 10:11 pm |
  10. MCNEIL

CNN IS OBAMA ALL THE TIME ..GIVE IT A REST......IT IS EASY TO SEE YOU ARE AGAINST HILARY.......PLEASE TRY AND GIVE HER CREDIT FOR THE PROSPERITY YOUR COUNTRY HAD UNDER THE CLINTONS......OR DO YOU NOT REMEMBER THOSE YEARS............YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS EXPERIENCE AND LEADERSHIP....NOT A GREAT SPEAKER WITH NO EXPERIENCE............

February 1, 2008 10:12 pm at 10:12 pm |
  11. pd

Blitzer was completely disrespectful to Hillary! At some point, you've got to stop giving this guy a leg up.

February 1, 2008 10:23 pm at 10:23 pm |
  12. Helen

Hillary was great last night. She has my vote.

February 1, 2008 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  13. Vince, Phoenix AZ

Here, Here!, Pat Olson! I love it when some one here actually offers perspective and insight as opposed to talking/blogging points.

February 1, 2008 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  14. tina ny, ny

hey CNN is your anchor suzzane in love with Obama or what. Is she having affiar with him. He must be humping her that is why she seems so much in love with him

February 1, 2008 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |
  15. Steve

Wolf, your asking questions like "was that a swipe?" and "are you saying you were naive" brought down the tone of the debate. Shame on you!

February 1, 2008 10:33 pm at 10:33 pm |
  16. Dev

I share the same sentiments like so many people that CNN is going out of there way to promote Obama and keep on criticising Hillary. Mrs.Obama's interview with Sollidad, same Sollidad who was taunting Hillary on her tears, is shown in pieces so that whole evening she is in focus.This is not justice and CNN should stop hurting one candidate.

February 1, 2008 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  17. Beth Kenny

Please.........someone tell Obama not to take for granted he will get Hillary's votes if she is not nominated. He won't get mine! Nor will he get my husband's or my sister's. Thanks!

February 1, 2008 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |
  18. sam

hi wolf ,

i know its next to impossible to convice all the viewers they are like fingers on the hand none of the same none the less u atleast convinced one of them in me.

February 1, 2008 10:39 pm at 10:39 pm |
  19. Tom

My eyes have now been opened to the obvious bias of CNN towards Obama for some time now.

I've been a liberal all my life and one of the staples of being a liberal is counting on our liberal news media to give us all sides of a story truthfully, without bias. Liberal media is now dead. Thanks CNN!

The debate was one softball question after another for Obama. Wolf constantly interrupting Clinton to finish her answer while letting Obama preach on and on and on and on.

I trust no media now, ESPECIALLY CNN.

February 1, 2008 11:11 pm at 11:11 pm |
  20. Dwight Defee

You keep saying ",,,we at CNN have the best political team on television." however, I have not heard you explain what criteria was used to support that claim.

It may be true and it may not be true. Continuing the mantra will not make it true but it certainly is annoying.

February 1, 2008 11:16 pm at 11:16 pm |
  21. media full of it

nice try on baiting hillary. she's too smart for you. guess that's why you cnn so-called journalists hate her.

February 1, 2008 11:31 pm at 11:31 pm |
  22. Aaron

Greetings Wolf,
    Most excellent work! You are "one of the best:". I just read your bio, outstanding, no wonder you're at the pinacle of your profession. Best wishes for continued wellness and stamina for what will be a very busy week.
    Aaron M

February 1, 2008 11:36 pm at 11:36 pm |
  23. June (California Voter)

I'm looking forward to Super Tuesday.

February 1, 2008 11:51 pm at 11:51 pm |
  24. chris

It was an incredible night, with the only bad moment being when you chose to throw that lowball question to Hillary Clinton about being naive. In that one moment you surrendered your objectivity before millions of viewers across the world. The candidates behaved wonderfully while you should be ashamed of yourself. I am still undecided on whom to support and enjoyed comments from both our candidates. I resented your question and feel you disrespected the candidates, all those present and the moment in history that we all witnessed.

CNN has the best political team in the business, with one exception.

February 1, 2008 11:57 pm at 11:57 pm |
  25. Liz

Wow. I thought I was the only one who thought CNN was promoting Barak. It is a big corporation which traditional promote the Republicans. By promoting Barak, they hope to dunk Hillary before the general election. All the republicans crossed over in the Iowa election, but they won't vote for him in the fall. The Florida election was very indicative of how the general population will vote and Hillary won ! Barak says that independents will vote for him, although they didn't in New Hampshire. The Republicans have been registering as Independents in droves, like rats fleeing a sinking ship. These are the only independents that will vote for Barak in the primaries. They won't vote for him in the fall. I don't watch CNN as much as I used to watch.

February 2, 2008 12:10 am at 12:10 am |