February 1st, 2008

Blitzer: Another record-breaking night

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/2008/images/01/21/art.wolfdebate.cnn.jpg caption="More than 8 million voters tuned in last night."]NEW YORK (CNN) - I am now back in New York after taking the red-eye from LA. My job may not necessarily be as glamorous as it sounds - but I am not complaining at all.

I was honored to represent CNN at the debate between Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama. It was historic - the first time we saw a woman and an African-American together on the stage poised to become the Democratic presidential nominee. The excitement at the Kodak Theater was palpable.

Going into the debate, I was a little nervous. I knew millions of people would be watching. And indeed, they were. We now know that a record 8.3 million watched in the United States – more than any other presidential primary debate on cable news ever. The previous record was the 4.9 million who watched our Democratic debate in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina earlier in January. Many millions more watched the debate on CNNPolitics.com, and on CNN International around the world.

I want to thank my debate partners, Doyle McManus of The Los Angeles Times and Jeanne Cummings of Politico.com, for joining me in the questioning. When I introduced them last night as excellent journalists, I spoke the truth. I have worked with them over the years covering many stories, and they really are among the best in the business.

Now, we get ready for Super Tuesday. It will be an enormous challenge for those of us in the television news business. But we at CNN have the best political team on television, and I can promise you this – we will be ready for all the action.

–CNN Anchor Wolf Blitzer

Filed under: Wolf Blitzer
  1. Charles

Wolf

I jokingly say that the two candidates slept at Holiday Inn (ala commercial) but you did not.

We forgive you because you prepared for uncertainty and that is tough.

In general, you and the media pundits seem to be a step behind and are still looking for the next "scoop" to be talked about. There is still the search for a debate winner.

The two candidates showed that seeking for a scoop or debate winner are the wrong things to focus on. The scoop and the message to all- " It is time to think, reflect, and really make a judgment with both heart and mind".

February 2, 2008 12:11 am at 12:11 am |
  2. Viki

Wolf,
    I don’t have anything against you personally, but show favored to one candidate over another is not good political journalism. Today CNN was showing interview with Michelle Obama at least 3 times and Barack Obama speech during his campaign. Don you think it is too much?

February 2, 2008 12:20 am at 12:20 am |
  3. Lu

Wolf, you did a great job! Looking forward to Super Tuesday!

February 2, 2008 01:10 am at 1:10 am |
  4. redwoods

why do you hate mrs. clinton...it was so obvious

February 2, 2008 01:16 am at 1:16 am |
  5. Thomas

Anil, are you serious? You act as if these two candidates have been totally respectful of one another. Who are you kidding? Wolf, which are you supporting, clearly it is Obama or Clinton.

February 2, 2008 01:23 am at 1:23 am |
  6. Rahul

Wolf,
    why not just come out and endorse Obama from CNN? You and Anderson are doing everything but that. You cant call yourself independent journalists or news media when you are in favor of one of the two candidates.

February 2, 2008 01:28 am at 1:28 am |
  7. Joseph

CNN has to be one of the most biased news stations on the planet, This whole election they have shown favoritism to Obama, and loathing to Clinton. I really respect news people who are neutral and if they do have an opinion not to show it on the air. As a Moderator of a debate your job is to ask questions and keep the debate civilized, yet you seem to only want to stir controversy which is pathetic at best. So stay off the air if you can't be neutral will you please.

February 2, 2008 01:29 am at 1:29 am |
  8. Joe

Hello,
    Sorry to say I'm very disappointed in CNN after lastnight's Democratic Debate. Mr. Blitzer really showed his bias during the debate by continously directing instigating and negatives questions at Sen. Clinton. It was very obviously to me and the people who were watching this debate with me. Several people who were watching this debate are Obama supporters also pointed this out and for them to notice this substantiates my opinion of what we saw.
    This Network that continously berates the FOX News Network for their well known support of the Republican Party has no room to do so now after what we saw and heard lastnight. And now even at this time, it's 10:40pm on the West Coast, CNN is airing the interview with Mrs. Obama. Today, I sat in front of my TV and just CNN, to see how many bad things were sad about Obama vs Clinton, I don't need to tell you more...Not one negative news bit on Obama but countless negative news bits about Clinton this is as bad as I have ever seen a Network endorse any political candidate without actually announcing it publically...Today was my last straw, I will not ever watch your network again...MSNBC by far is the more objective minded and non-bias News Network on the air waves.Wolf Blitzer is nothing but a Chris Mathews or wannabe and will always be one.

February 2, 2008 01:47 am at 1:47 am |
  9. Joe

CNN Endorses Sen. Obama! All that's left is for your lame network to do is to announce it publically...the other people with Blitzer lastnight were just as inept and definitely NOT qualified to act as political experts...

February 2, 2008 01:55 am at 1:55 am |
  10. Joe

Blitzer tried his best to join the Big Leagues lastnight and failed miserably...bush league is the only league this inept so called expert will ever be!!

Take some pointers from Brian Williams, Tim Russert and Chris Mathews you just might learn something Mr. Blitzer!!

Folks please compare lastnight's wannabe CNN panel with the above mentioned names and you will see the difference between true professionals and true amateurs!!

February 2, 2008 02:03 am at 2:03 am |
  11. Me

Many have said it already Wolf, you disrespected Hillary and spoke down to her like she was your "old lady". Totally unprofessional and definately not impartial. How disappointing...

February 2, 2008 02:44 am at 2:44 am |
  12. Cathy

That nieve comment was just down right stupid....it trully amazes me how CNN and MSNBC are so much for Barack. I used to like Keith Olbermann, but he is so obvious in his choice for Barack There's only one fair person and thats Craig Crawford. Chris Matthews and Joe Scarbourah are losers...Hillary has more brains in her little pinky then all of these talking heads have in their whole body. I hope Hillary wins so that they have to choke every day thinking about her..oh the joy.

February 2, 2008 03:34 am at 3:34 am |
  13. Miller

Good Debate. Good questions.
    I can't believe the person who said they will watch FOX for neutrality!!!!!!!

February 2, 2008 03:47 am at 3:47 am |
  14. silvio

I will give you several reasons why Wolf Blitzer is surprisingly biased towards Obama:
    1) During Friday's The Situation Room, Obama, McCain and Romney were all featured in the first half hour. Not ONE image of Hillary. He also mentioned that there was no clear winner in yesterday's debate. But several polls mentioned her as winner, including AOL's unscientific poll, and some of CNN's own analysts.
    2) The "naive" question by Wolf during the debate. The audience booed him with good reason.
    3) During the Florida primary where she won the vote but no delegates, Wolf kept repeating how it was totally meaningless.
    4) CNN in general always mentions Obama in breathless awe, always highlighting the positives, the hope, etc. Whereas Hillary Clinton is constantly stereotyped as the "polarizing" one. Bill Clinton's South Carolina's statements are still mentioned, even though he has not said anything controversial in many days.
    5) How about investigating Obama in the same way that both Clintons past was dissected to death?
    Objectivity in CNN and Wolf? FORGET about it. They are both in the honeymoon stage with Obama and by the time they realize what his faults are, it might be too late.

February 2, 2008 03:49 am at 3:49 am |
  15. kamal

Hi Wolf,

Job well done. Thanks for putting Hillary on record and on notice on Iraq issue.

February 2, 2008 04:32 am at 4:32 am |
  16. aloha_girl

Hi Wolf,

What happened to you? I felt you were biased towards Sen Obama...you kept interrupting him during the debate. Well, i have a new name for yournetwork....'CLINTON NEWS NETWORK'

F Lewellen
    Seattle

February 2, 2008 04:50 am at 4:50 am |
  17. john

he who votes republican votes for the bad in this country.

February 2, 2008 04:59 am at 4:59 am |
  18. G J M

I agree with Cris. The CNN panel is PRO OBAMA. They are anti HILARY & BILL. I do admire you and Anderson but not the panel except The Legal expert & The male African American sitting on the left of the screen. CIndy and Larry King are neutral

February 2, 2008 05:57 am at 5:57 am |
  19. Willy

should of had an anchor on the set who's not afraid of Mrs. Bill Clinton on there like Tim Russet.

February 2, 2008 06:08 am at 6:08 am |
  20. SC

I understand that CNN is trying hard to erase its past reputation as Clinton News Network but you should do so by being fair to all candidates rather than attacking Hillary Clinton from all angles.

February 2, 2008 06:28 am at 6:28 am |
  21. Scott

Wolf I like your show, and you normally do a good job being non-partial, but last night you seemed to attack the candidates. Calling someone naive suggesting someone was foolish. You might as well have called Clinton a fool. I hope you don't make such mistakes again. It's fine for the candidates to attack each other but you shouldn't be throwing in your interpretation of what they are saying, especially if it's something negative. Otherwise you aren't really moderating you might as well put yourself out there too for the candidates to talk about you.

February 2, 2008 06:36 am at 6:36 am |
  22. Cathy

I know MSNBC plays favorites and paint Obama as some sort of a god and constantly downplays Hillary. I have always respected CNN for being fair, but here lately it seems Obama gets all of the positive coverage and Hillary only the negative. And I though FOX news was bad! I am very disappointed in the media coverage altogether hear lately and I resent the way they make the American people feel like they are stupid and unable to choose a candidate for themselves.

February 2, 2008 06:38 am at 6:38 am |
  23. stephen

Wolf, you did a horrible job at the last debate and an even worse job on the one before. Your producers and managers need to start monitoring your show ratings. It's time for you to retire or go back to doing the weather.

February 2, 2008 07:41 am at 7:41 am |
  24. Reza Karim

Keep up the excellent work Wolf, you are the best!

February 2, 2008 08:14 am at 8:14 am |
  25. Dzifa

Thank you very much, thank you again all those observing the biases of the media especially CNN against Hillary. There is no doubt CNN is the best in news coverage and analysis but when its paid analysts and journalists portrayed as neutral, cunningly undermine one candidate while baby feeding the other, it gives one a helpless feeling like when HIllary voted for the war. I know she was deceived and I forgive her. Even Collin Powell who was Secretary of State was fooled.

CNN analyst are repeating phrases like, "she is divisive, polarising, she will energise the consevartives," against Hillary and using others like " he will unite the country, he is the new face of politics, he represents change"

Give me a break CNN. Obama will unite the country? There are people who just hate the sight of him, more than Hillary but you dare not say it. As good as Obama is, Hillary is better and prepared. Shame on you Gloria Bogger, shame on you Jack Cafferty, a particularlly discgraceful shame on you Roland martin.

February 2, 2008 08:30 am at 8:30 am |