February 5th, 2008

Schneider: How did Obama win Georgia?

(CNN) – CNN has just called Georgia's Democrat primary for Barack Obama. How did he win so convincingly there?

As was the case in South Carolina, African-American voters overwhelmingly supported the Illinois senator: 88 percent to 11 percent, according to the early exit polls. Those voters made up roughly half the Democratic electorate, just as they did in South Carolina.

But Obama's win was even bigger in Georgia than in South Carolina, because he won significantly more white voters. He got 39 percent of white voters in Georgia, compared to the 24 percent he got in South Carolina. It seems he may have benefited from John Edwards decision to withdraw.

White men voting in the Democratic primary were almost equally likely to support either candidate: 50 percent went for Obama while 45 percent went for Clinton. Among white women, there was a bit of a gender split at work: 62 percent went for Clinton while 36 percent went for Obama.

- CNN Senior Political Analyst Bill Schneider

Filed under: Bill Schneider
  1. Barb in VA

To Lovely in VA ..... Laughing Out Loud!!!!!!

February 5, 2008 08:52 pm at 8:52 pm |
  2. pat

Barb in VA.. love your comment! I hope Mom turned that computer off..nignt night

February 5, 2008 08:55 pm at 8:55 pm |
  3. Alicia from NC

lovely in VA:
    wooooooowwwww.
    i'm trying to ignore her but her stupidity is slapping me in the face
    make her go away

February 5, 2008 08:55 pm at 8:55 pm |
  4. Judy

Hey barb...it is LOL...get with the year 2008

February 5, 2008 08:55 pm at 8:55 pm |
  5. useyourbrain

I suppose Judy will next argue that Obama won Illinois because 99% of Illinois voters are black. Since census data shows that there only 30% of Georgia's population is African American, your reasoning demonstrates total illogic.

February 5, 2008 08:56 pm at 8:56 pm |
  6. lovely in VA

Hey Barb – ARE YOU READY FOR THE TRAIN TO COME TO VIRGINIA ON FEB 12?? I got my ticket and it clearly states 'No one name Judy from the CNN boards is allowed !!' Party on – let's go find a more updated board. Follow me!

February 5, 2008 08:56 pm at 8:56 pm |
  7. Malin

Judy you don't know how STUPID you sound.America is going forward and people like you will not wil not have a place in this country with your backward thinking.It's time for America to start seeing each other as just Americans without the White ,African Latino or whatever in front.This country can be unified but only if we want it to be so.Let us focus on how how we as individuals can make America better.

February 5, 2008 09:00 pm at 9:00 pm |
  8. Barb in VA

Fortunately, her vote will only count once.

February 5, 2008 09:04 pm at 9:04 pm |
  9. Barb in VA

Lovely in VA.....I am SO ready!

GOBAMA!!!

February 5, 2008 09:06 pm at 9:06 pm |
  10. lovely in VA

Oh, just to slide this in.... DELAWARE FOR OBAMA !!!

February 5, 2008 09:08 pm at 9:08 pm |
  11. Hightower, IL

Let us open our minds, and begin to challenge our apathy. Enthuisiasm is so needed in this country, We need to be excited about solutions in order to muster up the energy for the changes that have to come. Thank you Obama for bringing us out of sleepwalking state and into the discussion.

February 5, 2008 09:09 pm at 9:09 pm |
  12. lovely in VA

Totally OT (that's 'off topic' for Judy) where are you located Barb? I'm SW Va. and we have a huge love going on here for the man.

February 5, 2008 09:11 pm at 9:11 pm |
  13. Judy

Oh New York and New Jersey for Clinton..

February 5, 2008 09:19 pm at 9:19 pm |
  14. Barb in VA

I am a white female and made my decision after listening to several debates. I like both candidates SO MUCH, however, Obama will have my vote. It has nothing to do with sex, race, or religion. I just think he's the best person for the job.

Unlike a few certain bloggers, I HAVE stood at the top of the Lincoln Memorial and I HAVE been to the National Archives and seen the actual Constitution and JFK's inauguration speech. Maybe a couple of you need to go to DC and stand within the walls of the Lincoln Memorial. It's overwhelming, and might just remind you how priviledged you are to even be an American. How shameful that some use that priviledge to be narrow-minded or racist. Vote for who you believe in!!!

February 5, 2008 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  15. Otto

Only Obama is speaking openly of restoring our Constitutional rights which were eroded during the Bush era.

February 5, 2008 09:31 pm at 9:31 pm |
  16. Barb in VA

Either Obama or Hillary will be a huge improvement over our current administration. With so many states having less then 30% voter turnout last election, I hope this time people will be at least inspired to vote.

February 5, 2008 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  17. Otto

B wrote
    I detest Bush, you have to at least say he makes decisions…yes bad ones but he does take a stand.

No. Bad decisions are much worse than none.
    The decision to attack Iraq, a foreign country that had not attacked us, was probably the worst decision made by a president in our lifetime. Our treasury is depleted and we never found WMDs or Osama bin Laudin.

February 5, 2008 09:36 pm at 9:36 pm |
  18. lovely in VA

Absolutely Barb, I took my 10 year old son to DC for the Cherry Festival in April. IMO ('in my opinion' for Judy) that is just a must for every American. Not only is it moving, but you will see people from EVERY nationality on this planet in one 10 square mile. If you come away from there with racist or sexist feelings, you do NOT know what it is like to be AMERICAN. If you can't handle that, don't go, you will be miserably out numbered and show you how small you are. My son even climbed on the WH wrought iron gate surrounding it with Secret Service answering all his many questions. Oh, except the one 'is he home?' . Great city and one day will again be a great country but that begins with CHANGE.

February 5, 2008 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  19. Me

Otto wrote: "Bad decisions are worse than none."

Not making a decision, is a decision in and of itself – a decision to do absolutely nothing.

I'm not a Bush supporter either, but I hold to my contention that we need wisdom behind the action in the White House regardless of the political fallout. The President is a leader and a public servant, someone we are supposed to be able to entrust our lives, our livelihoods, and our nation's future to.

February 5, 2008 09:41 pm at 9:41 pm |
  20. Barb in VA

I think the next president will spend much of the first couple of years having to "clean things up" and mend some fences for Americans. As a mom of three boys in SE Virginia, I am looking toward the future and hoping my boys will have a President they can look up to. I believe Obama is the man for that job and (to get back on subject) I couldn't care less what color his skin is. Time for me to sign off. One more thing.... I'm not putting down Hillary, I have SO much respect for her. I just think HE will be strong enough to tackle all of this country's problems left behind by Bush.

February 5, 2008 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  21. Ashwin

Obama

You are more than just politics, you are hope, dreams, substance and the future…you bring about positive energy which is what the world needs today. If the world had its say, they would elect you President for you are the People’s President. Countries and cultures have fences and there are different views from both within and outside the fence. From where I see it, following you is like a religion; it is a more than just a routine, it is becoming a way of life, and if you are elected President of the United States of America, you could CHANGE the world as you would become a way of life for the world.

Ashwin Sreekumar,
    Australia

February 5, 2008 10:17 pm at 10:17 pm |
  22. Judy

ok i have had enough fun. good night since you will be up alllll night.

February 5, 2008 10:44 pm at 10:44 pm |
  23. Kathryn, Augusta GA

Opportunity for real change is knocking and Obama didn't just open the door he is taking the hinges off !

February 6, 2008 12:48 am at 12:48 am |
  24. Dianne

Sure hope Democrats choose wisely!!!

This is utter nonsense & quit the 'race baiting' tactics.

How black is Iowa, Alaska, Colorado, Delaware, Minnesota, Utah etc.?

Barack Obama is a born-Leader & brilliant. He's proven he's the choice of many and crosses party lines & appeals to independents!!!

Billary if chosen as the Nominee will do nothing but UNITE the right-wing base. She is a very POLARIZING figure. More so POLARIZING since she has the 'Bill-half' campaigning for her.

I USED to respect the Clinton's but their "WIN AT ALL COST" tactics of the last few weeks have sickened me. Bill's campaigning behaviour in South Carolina was DISGUSTING! And, Hillary's manoeuver in Florida & Michigan truly demonstrates her mentality of "WIN AT ALL COST". Her sense of ENTITLEMENT is truly SELFISH, she CARES about NO ONE, but HERSELF.

The Democrats have had an election 'in-the-bag' before; only to end up shooting themselves in the foot.

NOMINATE BARACK OBAMA FOR PRESIDENT!!!

GO OBAMA!!!