February 6th, 2008

Romney set to huddle with top advisors

ALT TEXT

Romney said Tuesday night his campaign will go on. (Photo credit: AP)

(CNN) - Mitt Romney and top aides and advisers plan to huddle Wednesday to discuss the future of his campaign, including whether to launch an advertising buy in upcoming primary states.

Romney vowed late Tuesday to press on, though top advisers acknowledged the delegate match was daunting.

"It is tough to saddle up this AM," said one top Romney adviser who spoke only on condition of anonymity.

Romney has poured more than $35 million of his personal fortune into the campaign, and after a rough Super Tuesday faces a decision of whether to spend more. Several advisers said there was a plan, in place before the Tuesday votes were counted, to begin advertising in the Washington, DC and Baltimore markets. Maryland, Virginia and the District of Columbia hold primaries next Tuesday.

"As of early this AM it was a go," said one of the campaign sources. "We can do the math but there are still openings," said another.

The official agenda for the meeting was discussion strategy though the March 4 GOP contests. Romney has no public events scheduled and aides say there are, at the moment, no plans for any public statement. An address to a major conservative gathering in Washington is planned for Thursday; McCain is also addressing the group.

Related: Watch Romney's campaign press secretary discuss his Super Tuesday performance

- CNN's John King and Dana Bash

Filed under: John McCain • Mitt Romney
  1. George T

All the conservatives keep talking about this "conservative base." Well where are they and how come they aren't voting for Mitt????

I say he should stay til March 4th. Then if still behind, get out> Maybe Huckabee can pull through..

Maybe not, I think it's time to accept that Obama will be our next president...

February 6, 2008 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  2. benvictor

My prediction. Republicans have the time now to unite for November. Democrats are terribly fractured. If Hillary wins, blacks will sit home in November. If BO wins, white voters will support Michael Bloomberg is he runs as an independent. If not, white voters will support John McCain, Vietnam hero, who is a moderate with views white voters will support. I am a democrat and this is how I will vote in November. While I have spoken here of blacks and whites, I believe Asian Americans will support Bloomberg or McCain. Latinos, I fear, will feel disenfranchised by a Hillary loss and disinterested in the November election.

February 6, 2008 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  3. Giovanni

Since Mitt won Nevada, I think it's appropriate to advise him to double-down with another 35 million dollars from his personal fortune.

Spend it all because you can't take it with you...

February 6, 2008 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  4. Patty Atlanta GA

Ding Dong the witch is dead! The real Christians of the US have spoken and you are out Mr. Romney. Go back to you witches council and decide how to rule over the nation of Utah where you belong.

Gov. Huckabee, praise you and praise Jesus. Remember that we put you in office and we want you to do as you promised and eradicate the non-Christians from the earth even if it take 100 wars! Jesus is supreme!

February 6, 2008 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  5. jeffrey

How many Romney supporters would vote for Obama if it was between Obama and McCain? I know I would vote for Obama. At least he is harmless.

February 6, 2008 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  6. DJ

Republican! Conservative! White! Woman!
    I will vote for Obama in November!
    I will not vote for McCain!

Sad! Sad! Day!

February 6, 2008 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  7. Richard, Ewing, NJ

Patty,

You can go to the exit poll and you will find something very alarming. 95% of Mormons voted for Romney in Nevada, 94% voted for him in Utah and even in Arizona, a state Romney lost, Romney received 88% of Mormon votes.
    With all the racial tension and arguements between Clinton and Obama on the eve before South Carolina, Obama received less than 80% of the blacks vote. This just shows you that the Mormon is an extremely monolithic voting bloc.

February 6, 2008 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  8. Al, Sacramento Ca

I guess he is willing to waist more of his fortune to a lost cause. He is done! Even Huckabee beat him, and that is scary!!!!

February 6, 2008 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  9. Jim Bartlett

How can anyone feel good about the colusion between smiling Huckabee and grinning McCain as they try and squeeze out Mitt Romney. Romney offers all of us a REAL FRESH START! McCain is part of the problem – deeply part of it! Huckabee will never make a difference. But clearly, given the chance – Mitt Romney would rock the very foundations of political institutions in Washington that has put us where we are today. Romeny tells it like it is – like no one else – about entitlement program reform and illegal immigration. We All Need To Wake Up!

February 6, 2008 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  10. Steve

Looking at dollars spent per delegate won the clear winner above all others is Huckabee. Frugality in victory is what this country needs. Romney can use as much of his vast fortune as he wants and in so doing is showing how he would run this country. We can't afford his tactics for four years. I agree with him on one point. It should be a two man race. If Romney bails (as he should) his delegatesa should go to Huckabee. Then we'd have a horse race to the convention without worrying the winner depleting the national treasury. Do the math. Vote frugal, vote wise vote high moral values, vote Huckabee.

February 6, 2008 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  11. Eddie

Republicans are completely delusional! McCain is about as far from liberal as one can get. The only reason McCain supports amnesty is for the cheap labor for his big business buddies not because he has some sense of trying to do right by these people as the Democrats do.

He's pro-war-not liberal.
    He's pro-big business-not liberal.
    He's anti-choice-not liberal.
    He's against spending on social programs-not liberal.

The only thing close to liberal he has ever done was drafting the campaign finance law with Russ Feingold, but his role in that was to water it down and make sure corporations still have the most power when it comes to our government.

He seems so perfectly conservative. As someone who lived in MA under Romney, I have to say you are deluding yourselves even more if you really think this guy is socially conservative. I am not saying he isn't hypocritical enough not to tow the line once in office, but his bona fides are lacking...not that I would call him liberal.

February 6, 2008 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  12. Rachel

Romney needs to stop whining that people are stealing his votes. If he was really the candidate of choice then he would have supporters voting for him no matter what.
    Also, how stupid is it to stay home from voting just because you may not support the candidates. That is the most un-American thing one can do: refuse to play a role in the political process just because you do not agree with everything that someone says that he or she will do or because your candidate did not receive the nomination. Be a responsible citizen and vote.
    Finally, to all you conservatives who say that McCain is so liberal that you would vote for Hillary or Obama is he gets the nomination, think about that for a second. Someone who holds Republican and conservative values on some ideas is not as liberal as either Clinton or Obama. Just because he does not agree with all of your standards does not make him a "backstabbing liberal". It is stupid to put an actual liberal in office if you are claiming to support and promote the Republican or conservative stance. Go read any voter guide or research the issues yourself and you will see that McCain is not as liberal as any Democrat running in this election.

February 6, 2008 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  13. laura

I don't think alot of people have given Romney the credit he deserves. I think the media is at falt for the state of this campaine they can't find the line between there own Ideas and real news. If not Mitt I vote obama.

February 6, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  14. John Lawrence

Romney should consider his future. He needs to drop out. The former Mormon missionary spoiler cost Governor Huckabee at least two states last night (Oklahoma and Missouri). He is a liberal in conservative clothes and the voters understand that, even if Hannity and Limbaugh, and the evangelical leaders, do not. It is a shame that conservatives did not rally around Governor Huckabee long ago as the principled candidate that he is. And evangelical voters should be ashamed of voting for Romney! He is a very recent convert on all the social issues.

February 6, 2008 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  15. Puzzled

How can someone with hundreds of millions of dollars relate to the problems most Americans face these days?

February 6, 2008 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  16. rodlang

Anyone know why none of Romney's five sons have served in the military? McCain's two sons are in the Marines and one of them is currently in Iraq.

February 6, 2008 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  17. Alex S

Total primary and state delegate count to date:

McCain: 9.56 million
    Romney: 8.05 million
    Huckabee: 4.71 million

Why should Romney drop out. Huckabee is the odd one out. Romney should stick around. McCain will blow his top a time or two and then the party will rethink nominating him.

February 6, 2008 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  18. Rocky Road

This election is a huge victory for a growing tide of Americans. It started as a whisper in the heartland and it grew to a chorus last night. I'm talking about Mike Huckalberry. TOGETHER WE CAN!

February 6, 2008 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  19. Kathryn Irby - Metairie, LA

As far as becoming President of the United States of American, Romney HAS NO FUTURE!!!! He is so insecure until all he has done has been to run down McCain (while I'm not even a Republican, much less for John McCain!), Clinton, Obama, the list goes on!!! He is an arrogant fool. He can forget ever becoming President because that shall never be! Furthermore, there will not even be a Republican elected as President in 2008, simply because of "what"(not "who") we have sitting in the White House as I write. Americans are sick and tired of incompetence and ignorance referable to the next President!

February 6, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  20. GeorgeO

Isn't it funny how the blogs from staunch 'conservative' Romney supporters are the the ones that rely on name-calling and generally being nasty, sore losers. That my friends is what the conservative base has become, )sad to say because I'm probably one of them). And it's for this reason that voters are not supporting the base or the candidate. It's killing me how poor Mitt is being picked on by McCain and Huckabee, yet the nasty tone of the primaries started with Romney pre-Iowa.
    Yes, the Republican party ain't what she used to be, and that's probably a good thing.

February 6, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  21. Alex S

Sorry, that should read "primary voters and state delegate count".

February 6, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  22. Conservatives: Go Get a Clue

This is the best development to come out of Super Tuesday and a sound rejection of the Presidential politics of the last eight years!

Romney is a fiscal conservative who knows how to make money but little else. He appeals to people like my self-absorbed brother who votes with his wallet in plastic Orange County, CA.

Rush is a Band!

February 6, 2008 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  23. Mick

A man uses his personal fortune to run for President and some call that unfair politics. He won't take the money for the position, or even for what he did with the Olympics, and yet some see something sinister in that. He lays off some employees in order to save the jobs of many more employees, unless the company goes belly up, and yet people twist that record around. He is the only candidate who has been married one time, has been faithful his whole life, and has raised an incredible family, all in the Mormon faith, and yet some bigots are critical of that.

I am pro-life, except in the cases of rape, incest, and the life of the mother being at risk and then I am pro-choice. Oops, I must be a flip-flopper. I am for the right to carry a gun, but believe strongly in certain bans on automatic weapons. Oops, I must have flip-flopped there. I am for treating illegals fairly but see something interesting in the word "illegal" and don't feel that we reward people for doing illegal things, even when they are fleeing "no hope" situations. There are millions of others trying to come here legally. Oops, I must be a flip-flopper again. I am for a man getting the delegates when he wins the election, but, oops, the man in third place (McCain) decided to give his votes to the HUCKSTER and so the actual winner ends up losing the delegates. Oops, I must have flipped my opinion there.

I am for the man who sticks to his values, not the man that looks back 36 years to time as a POW and war hero and then 6 terms in Congress. What work has he had? Arguing politics, or siding with Democrats on liberal issues? I am for the man who doesn't insinuate anger towards wealth as the reason he is losing. I know Huckabee would use his wealth if he had it. I am for Romney because he is the one who can establish the policy that will bring us out of recession. If we vote for anyone else, we'd better hook the seat belts and hold on because we are in for a wild ride over the next four years.

ROMNEY 08 – Don't give up! Win one for the GIPPER! Sorry about that if you don't understand.

February 6, 2008 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  24. Bill, Chicago, IL

CMS, CA wrote:

I love people talking about intelligence when they can't even write correctly. ie. "They are no match the Clinton's intelligence."

You mean e.g., not ie., Einstein...

February 6, 2008 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  25. Unhappy Republican

I waited, I listened to the candidates debate, I researched. I chose Mitt Romney because I believe he is the best candidate for the issues we face. The economy being the most important, followed closesly by the war (and the effect it's having on the economy and will con't to have) and the medical care crisis followed by illegal immigration ( it's effect and the con't effect it will have on medical care).

All McCain can ever seem to say is " I'm a war hero" . Great I respect that, but what will that do for the United States as we face these crushing isssues.

I am disgusted by the venomous rhetoric being spewed within the republican party.

I will not vote for McCain– I will not be a blind party follower.

Keep going Romney! McCain is not the man we need in the White House.

February 6, 2008 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |