February 9th, 2008

Exit polls: Katrina victims more likely to back Obama

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/2008/images/02/09/art.bonoloa.ap.jpg caption="Sen. Obama enjoyed a bowl of gumbo - with hot sauce– in New Orleans Thursday."]
(CNN) - The more likely a Louisiana Democratic presidential primary voter was to have been affected by Hurricane Katrina, the more likely they were to support Democrat Barack Obama over Hillary Clinton.

Among the 15 percent of voters who had been affected by the storm and said they had yet to recover, Obama had a 58 to 39 percent edge over Clinton. The 28 percent of voters who had been affected, but had since recovered, supported Obama by a slightly smaller margin, 54 to 43 percent. And the 55 percent who had not been affected at all by Hurricane Katrina supported Obama by the narrowest margin, 51 to 48 percent.

–CNN Associate Political Editor Rebecca Sinderbrand

Filed under: Exit Polls • Louisiana
  1. Mary

Obama really doesn't deserve anyone's support – he has done nothing to show he deserves to get as far as he has. He talks a good game and people are buying it. That's it in a nut shell

February 9, 2008 08:43 pm at 8:43 pm |
  2. Jo

Where is the Republican Results???

February 9, 2008 08:46 pm at 8:46 pm |
  3. j, cleveland

This is absolutely outrageous. Way to give Obama the election and completely turning me off to politics. I'm 27, a male, a college student, and–shocker!!!–I fully support Hillary Clinton. I feel totally alienated by all this ProBama media crap. I can't believe you people believe that a large portion of the population is not going to be outraged that Barack Obama is getting the nomination in a totally undemocratic way by stealing all these caucus states. I don't believe all this hype about him, and I think he's just another totally fake politician. Alright then, here's to another 20 years without healthcare. Cheers!

February 9, 2008 08:51 pm at 8:51 pm |
  4. Matt

Does CNN ever have any positive thing to say about Hillary?
    I refuse to vote Obama in November.
    I am sick of CNN's favorable slant towards Obama.
    I'll vote for Hillary in November through a write-in if I have to.

February 9, 2008 08:52 pm at 8:52 pm |
  5. Karen

Louisianna voters not being allowed to vote by provisional ballot. Secretary of State Elections Division advising voters to ask for provisional ballot, but poll workers will not hand them out.

February 9, 2008 08:55 pm at 8:55 pm |
  6. Chris-IN

I'm no genius, but if Obama won all three groups, 98%, then doesn't that mean he's won?

February 9, 2008 08:55 pm at 8:55 pm |
  7. Stan

Obama is coming like a freight train and Billary is stuck on the tracks!

February 9, 2008 08:56 pm at 8:56 pm |
  8. Barack Obama Supporter from Lawrence Kansas

Tonight Barack Obama is winning all over the board, and CNN is letting Hillary get all this air time. The Virginia Primary is not until next week, and they are airing her speech. GET BACK TO OBAMA'S WINS!!!!!!!

February 9, 2008 08:56 pm at 8:56 pm |
  9. Mel

Hey Katrina Victims

I know Obama gives you a new hope! Its NOW that He is our PRESIDENT of US!

Go O' Obama!

February 9, 2008 08:58 pm at 8:58 pm |
  10. Independent

I like when the Clintons say "Obama was expected to win the state of ___ ." I hope they keep saying that until they quit.

February 9, 2008 09:05 pm at 9:05 pm |
  11. AP

Let's make it 3 for the night!!!

Obama 08

February 9, 2008 09:09 pm at 9:09 pm |
  12. Laura

Obama didn't support more funding to help Katrina victims.
    Clinton voted for the funding.

Apparently, voters don't know what's good for them if they support someone who has shown them zero support.

February 9, 2008 09:10 pm at 9:10 pm |
  13. John in Columbus

Hmmmmm....a three state sweep and among those Louisiana. Starting to sound like a come back story, or are all those voters just swept up by the stars in their eyes? Come on fellow democrats, back the best person, back the winner...back Obama.

February 9, 2008 09:12 pm at 9:12 pm |
  14. LEYENDA

OBAMA ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 9, 2008 09:12 pm at 9:12 pm |
  15. Christian, Tampa FL

I'm not surprised. Obama has been talking about Katrina since he started running, and he'll be in a great position to do something about the problems in New Orleans because people will listen to him and he'll have the federal government under him.

February 9, 2008 09:13 pm at 9:13 pm |
  16. Val

They have enough sense to recognize a good thing when they see it.

February 9, 2008 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  17. cole

there is one thing i want every americans to know and that is the whole world is watching and listening to this election process i am not an american but i watch and follow every election news.Its time to change the face of america i have respect for the clintons but i think it is time for america and the world to see a new face of america so please throw your surport behind obama so that we can give our kids hope that nothing is impossible to do in life.

February 9, 2008 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  18. Alison, FL

Nebraska, Washington and Louisianna???!!!....YES WE CAN!!!!

February 9, 2008 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  19. Kiki

Go Obama!!!!!!!!

Yes WE CAN!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 9, 2008 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  20. Katrina survivor

3 today, including right here in Cajun Country. 1 tomorrow. 3 on Tuesday. Then Hawaii and Wisconsin.

If Obama wins 9 more contests between now and the end of February, are pundits still going to refer to what will then be ancient polls in Ohio and Texas and say this race is "close?"

Get over it. He's going to win!

Go Obama '08!

February 9, 2008 09:25 pm at 9:25 pm |
  21. al

way to go bama

February 9, 2008 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  22. Sara

I have to say I was a Hillary supporter til today, now I still love her and will never jump on the hillaryhater bandwagon..My two boys have autism and on Obamas website he has a detailed plan to help us. Autism is on the rise affecting so many families and hes the only politician to address this.I will be bhind him 100% if he wins the nom.

February 9, 2008 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  23. Lee

He is the man. He should nominate Edwards for VP..

OBAMA 08!!

February 9, 2008 09:42 pm at 9:42 pm |
  24. Amy in Iowa

It started in Iowa, and even today in Louisiana, Americans have decided that they want Obama as their democratic nominee. Not status quo Hillary Clinton. YES WE CAN! Mrs. Clinton should do the right thing and bow out for the party.

February 9, 2008 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  25. leo

Why is it that all the presidential candidates has no original idea apart from Barack Obama? He was the first person to talk about change and change like an epidemic suddenly affected all the other candidates both Democrats and Republicans. Some of them started saying they are agent of change. I was sickened when I heard Mrs. Clinton saying the other day, “yes we can", a phrase common with Obama. During the CNN debate, I heard Mrs. Clinton using a word once used by Obama to describe Ronald Reagan which sparks off a wave of criticism from Mrs. Clinton and her husband former president Bill. The other day Mrs. Clinton shamelessly used the explosive word "Trajectory".
    Does it mean that these old cargoes are bereft of vocabularies?

February 9, 2008 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |