February 11th, 2008

Obama beats two Clintons in one day

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/2008/images/01/22/art.obama0122.ap.jpg caption="Obama won his second Grammy Sunday."]
(CNN) - Barack Obama beat more than one Clinton Sunday.

The Illinois senator won over presidential rival Hillary Clinton in Maine’s Democratic caucuses. And he beat out her husband, former President Bill Clinton, in a slightly less snowy contest: the Grammy Awards.

Obama’s win in the spoken word album category for the audio version of his book “The Audacity of Hope: Thoughts on Reclaiming the American Dream” – his second Grammy - ties him with Bill Clinton, who’s also won two. Hillary Clinton has also taken top honors in that category, for “It Takes a Village.”

Bill Clinton had been considered for the audio version of his book “Giving: How Each of Us Can Change the World.” He wasn’t the only former Democratic president in the category: Jimmy Carter had also been nominated, for his book “Sunday Mornings in Plains: Bringing Peace to a Changing World.”

Obama and Hillary Clinton are neck-and-neck in the race for the Democratic presidential nomination.

–CNN Associate Political Editor Rebecca Sinderbrand
  1. Peter K

What's with the Obama supporters? Their constant vicious attacks on Hillary demonstrate that they are obnoxious and no sportsmanship. I can't believe they claim that the Obama supporters are more educated. I suppose there must be something missing in our educational system. Please be civil and show some respect to each other. The candidates are sacrificing their time and efforts to run for the highest position in this country and in their own belief that they are going to bring this country forward. Each of the candidates deserve our respect, not insulting words or attacks. We are all Americans and Obama's speech keeps talking about unity and I have serious doubt if he has the ability to make it happen.

February 11, 2008 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  2. Nancy

Tell me, Annamica, how will Hillary subsidize free healthcare for all? Obama says he will lower healthcare costs for all – a more formidable goal. Let's start there!
    I am not adamantly against Hillary, however, I don't believe free healthcare can yet be achieved BUT I do believe, we can change the healthcare system and make it affordable. I'm self-employed – believe me – I want to change the healthcare system.
    Re: McCain – you are right on saying he will be another Bush. I continue to be amazed at those who still support our mission in Iraq. When McCain talks about victory I want to know, "What the heck does that look like?"

February 11, 2008 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  3. Jay

I've been reading these boards for a while now and Jim's point is a question I've always wondered. During debates and speeches, the candidates have maybe 45 seconds to make points. That isn't enough time to properly detail any candidate's plans or stances on anything. At this point, every single plan Obama has been questioned about has been detailed and published. His message of hope isn't a shady motivational speech – it's a rallying cry to the voters, and it's been working.

You can read what every candidate stands for, what they have done and what they say they will do. None of this is secret. Claiming Obama only makes speeches and doesn't have any solid plans is based on your own decision to not educate yourselves about the candidates.

Additionally, is it so bad having a president that can inspire the people of the nation? Is it a bad thing that he comes off as a good guy? You're not just electing a set of policies or a set of opinions on wedge issues. You're electing a person.

A person that will have to walk into a room with other leaders and leave with positive results. A person that has to convince partisan leaders to vote against their own self-interests on occasion for the good of the entire nation. The world doesn't hate George Bush just because of his policies. The world hates him because of his arrogance, his stubbornness and his ability to disregard the needs of those that oppose him. When you're the leader of a nation, personality counts too.

February 11, 2008 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  4. Never little o

I won’t try for fake evenhandedness here: most of the venom I see is coming from supporters of Mr. Obama, who want their hero or nobody. I’m not the first to point out that the Obama campaign seems dangerously close to becoming a cult of personality.

February 11, 2008 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  5. Joe

Bill and Hillary are the past. Obama is the future. Can you imagine looking at Hillary in Pant suits and Bill waving that old crooked finger for the next eight years.

February 11, 2008 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  6. Peter K

Nancy, Clinton has already explained how she will fund her health care plan during her last debate. I notice that a lot of Obama's supporters (especially the youth voters) don't know all the facts and that really saddens me. I am concerned the future of our country. Please vote for Hillary!!

February 11, 2008 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  7. Michael

Does Obama support our troops. He has no problem letting everyone know he was not for the war from the very beginning but I have not heard much if he supports the men and women who are fighting in Iraq.
    Look there are so many who support the war and many who disapprove of it. The men and women that are in our military need a President that supports them not some clown that is just going to keep reminding us that he was not for the war. Enough we went to war and lost so many lives. Support the men and women don't focus on the past Obama.

February 11, 2008 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  8. JH

Manuel, yes you got it.
    I never fell for empty words, I can tell who is genuine and who is not.
    Obama will say what he thinks people want to hear, not what he really thinks, wants to do. He just wants to be a president no matter what. It is very egoistic approach on his side. All what he promises will be gone if he will be elected -what then his followers will do?
    The change is not in words – as he does all the time. It is in acts. People= some people will always make nasty comments no matter what person they choose to not to like does.
    So, let's do not listen to them Their words do not mean anything.
    Hillary!

February 11, 2008 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  9. Sam, AZ

I'm independent and I'll vote for Obama over McCain but will vote for McCain over Billary. Go Obama!

February 11, 2008 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  10. HP Boston

When OBAMA talks about CHANGE I want to know, "What the heck does that look like?"

February 11, 2008 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  11. Jon

Bea, so you are saying if Barack's VP were say one of the following …

Janet Napolitano
    Kathleen Sebelius.
    Joe Biden
    Chris Dodd
    Evan Bayh
    Ted Strickland
    Wesley Clark

you would not vote?

Is it the Hillary-way or the highway?

February 11, 2008 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  12. Renee Las Vegas NV

I'm an educated voter !!!! I'm for Obama, but if Hillary wins I will support her without a doubt!!!!!!!!!!
    Why????????? Because I'm a Democrat !!!!!!!!!!!!!'
    "If you Don't Stand for Something You'll Fall For Anything!!!!!!!!!"

February 11, 2008 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  13. Jim

Obama has been beating two Clintons for weeks now... and he will continue too. I have nothing against Bill or Hillary, but Obama is the type of inspiring leader this country needs. When Bill was in office, this country became more divided then ever before. If Hillary wins why would anyone think it would get better? Ans for all of these people who say Obama hasn;t done anything, check your facts. He had many accomplishments in the Illinois legislature. And as far as experience goes, he has more time serving as an elected official then Hillary (first lady is not an elected postion).

February 11, 2008 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  14. Rich - Illinois

Always a fine speech-maker and a good man...exactly what we were told about Bush...no more guessing! Sen. Obama can gather all the Potomic states he wants...here come Ohio and Texas. Then again, we may be witnessing again the Democratic Party snatching victory from the jaws of defeat...

February 11, 2008 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  15. KW

I can't help wondering the same thing that poster DI made above because I don't think America is ready for a woman or a black and they will do whatever to keep things the way it always has been. I don't care what the polls say....I think Clinton is more feared as having the ability to change history so their strategy is to vote for Obama knowing that he will have even less chance of beating McCain.

February 11, 2008 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  16. Awaiting Moderation

"Never little o" is pretty clearly a reader of NYT online, since their comment (above) is clearly cut and pasted out of Paul Krugman's column. It's the one that contains the statement, "most of the venom I see is coming from supporters of Mr. Obama, who want their hero or nobody."

That said, I recommend anyone interested in the Democratic primary fight go to the Times website and read that Krugman column. As usual, he has some good and thoughtful remarks (beginning with the point that either Democratic candidate would be a very good choice).

Please, let's tone down the bitterness and smear tactics! My own primary concern is foreign policy and America's standing in the world, and on that score I think Hillary would make a good candidate because she has done hard work learning the ropes and building contacts during her years in the Senate. On the other hand, the election of a President Obama would be the clearest way to signal to the rest of the world that we have put the Bush years behind us.

If Obama is the Dem. candidate, I have my own idea about who would be a good running mate, to give the ticket the foreign-policy "gravitas" it will need... but I'll keep my mouth shut on that, for now.

February 11, 2008 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  17. Eric - Chicago, IL

KW, Have you even been watching the polls lately? They may not be the "be all, end all" authority on who will vote for who, but I'd value a scientific poll percentage over the suspicions of some schmuck on the internet. Obama clearly wins over mccain, where Clinton does not.

Also, you are a racist... I'm white, and even I can see that about you.

February 11, 2008 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  18. Mary

Quote Margaret Thatcher

"In politics if you want anything said, ask a man. If you want anything done, ask a woman."

GO HILLARY '08

February 11, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  19. Perry

Hillary is always taking about her experience and what she can do for the economy. Hillary cannot even run her own campaign. She has a husband that's out of control and her campaign funding is down and her staff members are being fired. This is the person that we want to run the White House???This is the most experienced???????? The same person that voted for the war. What are we doing people. I am ready for Obama!!!!He makes smart decision day ONE!

February 11, 2008 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  20. RuthieM

Now that's what I call Barack 'N Roll!!

February 11, 2008 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  21. sam

ABC = Anything But Clinton. She belongs to history and the future is Obama!

Yes we can!!!
    sam

February 11, 2008 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  22. Kathryn Irby - Metairie, LA

Barack Obama possesses the stuff of greatness. He is a true intellectual; there is no doubt about that! He has a tremendous amount of promise within the political arena awaiting his future!!!

Kathryn Irby
    Metairie, LA

February 11, 2008 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  23. Bea, Hoboken, NJ

I seem to have garnered a lot of responses to my post. Well, I stand by what I said earlier. I don't think that a man who was in the state senate just 3 years ago is fit to be president. I wouldn't have minded voting for him if he had paid his dues and had gravitas, but not now.

I may be in the minority, but Obama does not inspire me. I see a man who has risen by his sheer charisma and ability as a speaker. To me he is more fluff than substance and I will not vote for him if he's at the top of the ticket, regardless of who he picks as VP (unless it's Hillary).

February 11, 2008 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  24. smart grrl in ls mo

OBAMA is more interested in looking at pictures of HIMSELF

February 11, 2008 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |