February 11th, 2008

Sources: Gore has no plans to endorse

(CNN) - He's the most prominent Democrat yet to take a side in the presidential election, but two sources close to Al Gore tell us not to expect the former vice president to endorse either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama any time during the primary season.

The sources say Gore talks with both Clinton and Obama, and is on good terms with both. But with Sen. John Kerry and Bill Clinton both aligned to a candidate, Gore has a role to serve as the neutral elder statesman in the party.

Click here to read the rest of this post.

Filed under: Al Gore
  1. EricTx

We Latino's in Texas need to come together and vote obama. I was leaning toward hilary till I see she forced our fellow latino Solis Doyle to step down (fired for all purposes). Is this what we can expect. Hilary giving us Latino voters promises and then when she gets our vote, throwing us to the side because she got what she wanted. We need to come together as Latino's and make a stand. I am voting obama.

February 11, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  2. Jim

Endorsements don't matter and there shouldn't be an "agreement". Votes matter. Who ever gets the most votes and the most "pledged" deligates, should be our candidate.

February 11, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  3. Jeff, Dallas TX

That man should have been President. 'Nuff said.

February 11, 2008 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  4. Thomas

Gore gets my vote, hes trying to unite the party unlike Hillary and Obama!

Who ever wins the dem vote I'm worried that the split will already be to large. I know if Obama get the nod I'm going McCane and I'm sure several Obama supporters will say the same if hilly gets the nod. A Clinton Obama or Obama Clinton Ticket is the only way, but I think the egos of both are too high... unlike Gore!

February 11, 2008 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  5. Gary

Gore is one smart dude. I agree Gore may be the king/queen topper if a tie-breaker/brokered arrangement is required. It is too early in the process. I would imagine that unless one of the candidates emerges over the next primaries, Gore will keep his endorsement open. However, if one of the candidates does begin to emerge as clear leader in the nominee race, Gore may determine that the best strategy for the Dems in the general election would be an earlier endorsement.

February 11, 2008 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  6. Johnson

I respect Gore. Maybe he should run for president!

February 11, 2008 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  7. Chris, Middletown, CT

He can't endorse....he's far too busy with this global warming deal...and telling everyone its caused by humans...without explaining how it was far warmer thousands of years ago....(and far colder too) – it takes a man like Al Gore to explain why man-made CO2 has caused our planet to warm 1 degree in 100 years....and why even on his own charts does the heat rise first....then CO2 level after...(funny...cause and effect work differently in Al Gores world)

you see people Al's busy now...

February 11, 2008 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  8. SecondSage

Great job Gore,

Someone has to stay neutral. Clinton Machine vs Obama Express.

February 11, 2008 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  9. Charlotte

Way to go, stay out of this God awful mess.

February 11, 2008 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  10. Scott

Good for you Al Gore. Let the American people have their say. I wish only the supporters for Hillary and Barack could also respect their fellow Americans. May the best man or woman win. Whoever gets the most votes is the right choice. All states and all voters are equally important. Let's soak in the historic nature of this race and see what happens. The lack of respect for one another I see on these post sometimes makes me wonder what America really is.

February 11, 2008 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  11. brad

Smart man. Think many should follow his lead.

February 11, 2008 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  12. Brian

Good. I think the party is better off without it becoming divided to the Nth degree.

February 11, 2008 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  13. sophie

He is being careful, which I can respect, but I think it's better to go ahead and endorse Obama while the iron's hot

February 11, 2008 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  14. Peter NYC

Why won't he endorse? I want him to tell me who I SHOULDN'T vote for just like Teddy Kennedy. Whomever that fraud (and that is what he is) supports is never getting my vote. He is a backstabbing fraud who was the first to win a Nobel Prize for promotion.

February 11, 2008 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  15. Jules

Good for Al Gore! CNN is pro Obama and Anti Hillary – If Obama is JFK, then why isn't he aksing voters "Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country" He believes that he can give everything away.

WHAT HAPPEN TO THE BRIDGE TO THE 21st CENTURY???

February 11, 2008 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  16. Latina for Obama

May be he will run for President? who knows? and even if he endorses someone_ which I doubt he will...... at this point_ this campaign unlike many others is driven by the people. Gore might be a nice environmentalist guy, but he has for a long time been a supporter of the BILLARY clan and dynasty.

February 11, 2008 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  17. BW

That's right, Gore,
    Stay neutral for now–no need to split the baby yet but we need you in November!!!

Thanks for the Green efforts–keep it up!

February 11, 2008 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  18. Darth Vadik, CA

Well, we know who Al would endorse, c'mon:

RALPH NADER!
    (key in the scary music)

just kidding, he would endorse Obama of course, or did I dream that last night,

..huh, I'm really confuzed now....

Has anybody seen Ron Paul, what happened to his revolution?

February 11, 2008 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  19. Damien in Oregon

Good For Him. Gore is the man, he will hold him opinion to himself until Nov and then kick the republicans where it hurts.

February 11, 2008 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  20. Jim

Bad news for Hillary!

February 11, 2008 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  21. Will in Seattle

I think most of us who were Gore supporters hope he ends up endorsing Senator Obama, and hopefully encouraging either Gov Richardson or Sen Dodd to be his running mate.

February 11, 2008 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  22. anon

with whomever

February 11, 2008 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  23. Wayne, Greenville TX

I think this makes sense. There's plenty of time to endorse the nominee after the convention. Right now, let the people be heard.

February 11, 2008 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  24. Joshua, Los Angeles, CA

As frustrating as this is (I confess I would like Gore to endorse Obama), this is a brilliant move by Gore stay above the fray and hold position within the party. By not alienating one side or the other, he can ensure that the victor will heed some of his ideas for fighting global warming.

Well, played, Mr. President.

February 11, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  25. Diddy

Silence has never spoken so Loudly!!!! Maybe the dream ticket is Obama/Gore?

February 11, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |