February 11th, 2008

Sources: Gore has no plans to endorse

(CNN) - He's the most prominent Democrat yet to take a side in the presidential election, but two sources close to Al Gore tell us not to expect the former vice president to endorse either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama any time during the primary season.

The sources say Gore talks with both Clinton and Obama, and is on good terms with both. But with Sen. John Kerry and Bill Clinton both aligned to a candidate, Gore has a role to serve as the neutral elder statesman in the party.

Click here to read the rest of this post.

Filed under: Al Gore
  1. David

It's always interesting to see the extremes post on the Ticker. "backstabbing fraud"? Wow Peter, tell us how really feel!

I think Al Gore is doing what he believes is best for the country. Playing this role, he'll be able to provide an endorsement to the Democratic candidate, which should carry more weight closer to election day. The reality is, we could do far worse than either Clinton or Obama (can you say McCain?)

February 11, 2008 07:40 pm at 7:40 pm |
  2. jessica ballinger

Personally, I think it says enough that he's NOT endorsing Clinton. Regardless of my feelings about this contest, I believe that man is utterly brilliant.

Sometimes it actually hurts to think about how the country would have been different if he'd won in 2000.

February 11, 2008 07:40 pm at 7:40 pm |
  3. Prof. Johnson: Houston, Texas

A Clinton/Obama or vice versa ticket would never happen. I agree with the viewer who posted that the egos are too large. The baggage from Clinton would weigh down Obama. Obama would outshine Clinton. These two scenario's cannot mix. Therefore it falls to reason that whom ever gets Edwards as a running mate...seals the deal.

If Hilary gets the nod I vote McCain. If Obama gets the nod...the man has my vote.

February 11, 2008 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  4. Ellis

Wow, there's a politician with some conviction. Just as he waited until the very last second to vote IN FAVOR of the first Persian Gulf War in order to buy favors and gain more power in the US Senate, so too he refuses to endorse the "wrong candidate". Gore is the anti-Churchill.

By the way, how many residents of International Falls, Minnesota are buying Gore's global warming today?

February 11, 2008 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  5. Vince

Gore will only endorse himself. And to EricTx, get over your race. Just because the woman is Latino doesn't mean she was doing a great job. I hate people like you who judge everything based on your race. I'm "Latino" as well, but I never vote for or support someone just because they are also Latino. My "race" is just about the least important thing I can think of in my file, while with people like you it's one of the most important.

February 11, 2008 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  6. Will

Gore is a microcosm of what is wrong with the democratic party: too much interest in public preening leading to a complete lack of actual effectiveness or respectability. That is why the democratic party will continue to lose to the republicans; say what you will, republicans have an image of being much more decisive. The democrats need someone who is less concerned with getting their ego stroked and more concerned with their ideologies and how they are going to implement them nationwide. Go Obama. Gore and the Clintons (yes, "The Clintons), are part of the old political world of self-righteous demagoguery... we need to vote for Obama before he is as well. It is hard to wash off the political stink of residing in D.C. for too long.

February 11, 2008 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  7. Jon

Smart man, that Al Gore.

February 11, 2008 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  8. Puzzled

95% of these people seem functionally illiterate. Does CNN really look at these?

February 11, 2008 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  9. Laura, California

Gore's not endorsing Clinton says a lot more than his not endorsing Obama. He spent 8 years with her in the white house, shouldn't that translate into some kind of loyalty? Plus, I'm pretty sure that Bill Clinton endorsed Gore's presidential bid, so in the end his refusal to endorse Hillary is, in my opinion, an endorsement of Obama, which I think is the right decision because 28 years of Bush/ Clinton is just too long!

February 11, 2008 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  10. David, Portland Oregon

Al Gore just can not do any wrong to me. Guy has had vision and has pegged things over and over again. I completely trust him to choose the best course for us.

February 11, 2008 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  11. kwame

THE WAY TO GO AL; BARACK HUSSEIN OBAMA WILL NEVER WIN A GENERAL ELECTION. ANY CANDIDATE WHO SUPPORTS GIVING DRIVERS LICENCES TO ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS WILL NEVER WIN THE VOTES OF MAJORITY OF AMERICANS

February 11, 2008 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  12. sanjose4hillary

Erictx- CLinton did not fire Patty, she stepped down on her own. I am Hispanic and please don't embarras my race by making up lies just so people can sway to your side. If you feel that way, that is your problem but don't spread rummors.

February 11, 2008 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  13. Brian

sounds like a good deal at the convention. Gore for president, Obama for VP.

February 11, 2008 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  14. Brian

Unlike JFK, Barack Obama is actually saying, "Ask not what Obama can do for your country, but what your country can do for Obama".

So close, yet so far away.

February 11, 2008 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  15. Beans

Not what I've heard from reliable sources. I understand Gore will be supporting Obama...maybe later than sooner.

February 11, 2008 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  16. Patsy Madison, TN

Gore is a man of honor. We need him for president, and maybe, he will get the nomination at the brokered convention. I would like to see Gore/Obama. Obama needs experience before he goes in as president. We can't wait for another person to have training on the job. We need a person to be president from day one with the mess that Bush will leave.

February 11, 2008 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  17. Kiki

I am a woman, and I can honestly say that Hillary Clinton is a disgrace to all women.

February 11, 2008 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  18. Valerie

How is he staying neutral? Oh, please...he hates Hillary and Bill. He’s biding his time; he blames them for his failure to be President. Do you really think he's going to help the Clintons...lol

He should endorse Obama Feb. 29 just before the March primaries...that'll give the Hillary's campaign a twitch! Or if Edwards endorses Hillary, Gore should do so the day after for Obama.

February 11, 2008 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  19. Honorable "Discharged Veteran

At this point it does not matter who he endorses as well as Edwards. Next month it is over. He isjust one to 700 superdelegates. Gore is not the people. He is one man. With or without him the Obama train moves on.

February 11, 2008 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  20. Mark

One thing in the guessing game in this post doesn't make sense. Why would Gore feel the need to wait until there needs to be a deal made when an endorsement would likely make sure that no deal need be made? I think he's just staying neutral because that's what he said he'd do.

BUT he's likely to have less effect in November than right now. A crapload of Democrats love him now, but there's an equal amount of folks in the US that loathe him.

February 11, 2008 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  21. Honorable "Discharged Veteran

ONly the truth will set you free. I must have hit the truth nerve. See yall in January 2009 at Obama inaguration.

February 11, 2008 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |
  22. Joe J.

Oh brother, what BS. Hey, Al, if you don't have the stones to get off the fence, just shuddup and get out of the way, instead of whimpering this 'elder statesman' whine. The Obama train is leaving the station Al, and you're either on or off.

February 11, 2008 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  23. MM in SF

If he's for Hillary, it would have been a natural thing for him to endorce her weeks ago, and nobody would have raised an eye brow. He's been pressured by Bill for ages I'm sure. His silence speaks louder. I don't buy this 'facilitator' stuff. Gore is for Obama. He's being nice to the Clintons by keeping silent.

February 11, 2008 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  24. Myrna

I agree with Al Gore, He makes a Lot of good sense.... I wish he would have ran for office.... Hopefully he will Make the right call and make the right endorsement.. I have Yet to hear Obama and Hillary speak MORE about the Environment, This Should be a Major Concern for everyone, ONE PLANET, ONE UNIVERSE.. in the Mist of all the Politics this is Something that should not be overlooked..

February 11, 2008 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  25. Latino for CLINTON

I completely respect Gore and his right to wait. Ultimately, Clinton will win. GO HILLARY!!!!

Latinos love Clinton! (no love for Obama here)

February 11, 2008 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |