February 11th, 2008

Sources: Gore has no plans to endorse

(CNN) - He's the most prominent Democrat yet to take a side in the presidential election, but two sources close to Al Gore tell us not to expect the former vice president to endorse either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama any time during the primary season.

The sources say Gore talks with both Clinton and Obama, and is on good terms with both. But with Sen. John Kerry and Bill Clinton both aligned to a candidate, Gore has a role to serve as the neutral elder statesman in the party.

Click here to read the rest of this post.

Filed under: Al Gore
  1. Lolly

Good he didn't endorse " the black sheep"

February 11, 2008 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  2. Sabrina

Al Gore should have been President but the media push Bush because we needed change and they would rather have beer with!!!!! Now we have the same media pushing Obama. Gore is wise not to chose,I have great repect for him. George Bush not so much and look where his change took us and I hate beer!!!!!!!

February 11, 2008 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  3. Mike in Austin, Tx

I think this was a no-brainer.

February 11, 2008 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  4. Eric is No Latino

Eric is an Obama-bot, and certainly no Latino. Eric, you are sin verguenza, and Senator Clinton will prevail in TX, despite your astroturfing.

"Us Latino voters"–my big fat culo, bro. You aren't fooling anyone, except your own stupid self.

February 11, 2008 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  5. Ryuken

Jules – the brige to the 21st century has fallen in, you know we aren't investing in our infastructure anymore, we are giving tax cuts to the wealthiest 1% by borrowing $ from China.

February 11, 2008 08:12 pm at 8:12 pm |
  6. voter

if neither Clinton nor Obama gets enough delegates, let's have Gore run for president. I think that is a viable option, I'm sure this time around, he will win the general election.

February 11, 2008 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  7. jp/michigan

Good for you Al Gore, you are defiantly a man of honor. You will always be my President. Global warming is a very important issue . We can change as much as possible the damage done and at the same time increase our economy .

February 11, 2008 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  8. sharon

Gore.....snore! Haven't heard him say much about global warming since this bitterly cold winter has caused so much grief.

Who cares what he thinks about anything. Yawn.........

February 11, 2008 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  9. One Helluva Texan

Well put Chris from Middletown... of course, without Gore we wouldn't have the Internet, therefore this conversation wouldn't be happening.

Maybe global warming does exist... all the "hot air" coming from the mouths of Democrats/liberal/socialists since a Republican became president can be quite suffocating...

February 11, 2008 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  10. Alex

I wonder what the candidates' plans for the environment are? Oh, that's right, Obama doesn't HAVE plans. He has "change".

February 11, 2008 08:15 pm at 8:15 pm |
  11. Frank Esper, Cleveland Ohio

Smart move on Gore's part. I dont see why every democrat has to come out and claim one side or another's. Obama is trying to unite, not further divide ...especially in his own party

February 11, 2008 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |
  12. True Democrat

I support Universal Healthcare which is one of the reasons I support Sen. Clinton. Sen. Obama and Sen. McCain both oppose Universal Healthcare. Is that why so many of Sen. Obama's supporters say that they will vote for Sen. McCain if Sen. Obama loses?

February 11, 2008 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |
  13. David

At least Al hasn't forgotten we're still one party!!!

February 11, 2008 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  14. CK

Very smart man. Oprah and other Kennedys should learn this from him. I would never watch another Oprah show again.

February 11, 2008 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  15. Frank, Dayton, Ohio

I think Al is wise for all the right reasons. With Kerry and Clinton both having made their wishes known, Gore remains the Elder Statesman of the party (along with Jimmy Carter) who can stand back and declare both candidates the worthy persons that they are, then can righteously stand behind the party's choice without having to do a mea culpa.

February 11, 2008 08:19 pm at 8:19 pm |
  16. Rebecca

Al Gore should be in his final year as president right now. He's the smartest one of all.

February 11, 2008 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  17. Teresa

Who cares?

February 11, 2008 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  18. missfitz

Good on Gore for keeping his mouth shut– we're all doing such a good job at being divisive within our own party, I'm glad he is too smart to fall for playing a part in it...

Now if only the hordes of blog commenters could follow suit or (not likely) simply use some civility and common courtesy...

February 11, 2008 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |
  19. lee

Al Gore is fully aware of how important the pledge deligates are in this race, he also understands it is not about the number of endorsement a candidate receive, nor is it about the number of superdeligates one receive, by remaning neutral in this contest shows the wisdom and respect he has for fairness, because now he will have the clout to make the argument that the superdeligates must fall in step behind the candidate with the most pledged deligates. The Democratic Party can only regain the white house if the people voices are heard, and by not aligning himself with any candidate, Mr.Gore is positioning himself to make the argument that this primary must be decided by the people and not a hand full of insiders.

February 11, 2008 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  20. Cindy

Thank you for your wisdom on this. We will need an objective person or as close as an objective person as we can get down the line after the dusk settles.

February 11, 2008 08:27 pm at 8:27 pm |
  21. R M Gopal

It makes sense - for the party as well as for the two candidates. It makes sense for Gore most of all. As a practical matter there's little chance of Gore ever becoming President of the US. [In many ways, believe it or not, it would be somewhat of a comedown for Gore.] As such, there's no one in either party with nearly as much stature and gravitas as Gore to affect the course of national politics.

Gore for Secretary General of the United Nations!

February 11, 2008 08:27 pm at 8:27 pm |
  22. Anonymous Democrat

I can not stand the negative mean spirited divisive and hate filled blogs from the Obama supporters any more.

I will tell all my friends and family that, as a Democrat, I will vote for the Democratic candidate.

But in the privacy of the voting booth, I will cast my vote for McCain, if Clinton in not on the ballot.

I would rather have a moderate republican for 4 years, than reward the mean spirited Obama supporters on all of these blogs.

Perhaps this is what the media wants and that is why they Always run positive articles for Obama and ALways run negative articles about the Clintons, but the Obma supporters merely add fuel to the fire of hate and division–enough.

In my 32 years as a Democrat, I will for the first time ever vote for a Republican–McCain.

And yes, I live in a swing state.

-Anonymous Democrat for Hillary Clinton.

February 11, 2008 08:29 pm at 8:29 pm |
  23. bryen

To EricTx:

I'm not sure what this article has to do with Clinton's reorganizing efforts these past few days. Actually, its been in the works for a month now and its no surprise to any and all. Regardless, it has nothing to do with the topic of this article.

However, I find it rather sad that you would find a way to turn this into a racist event. Look at every campaign in history. Candidates are always changing their staff around at a moment's notice, even candidates that are winning. That's a fact of life in the fast changing world of campaigning. Clinton's reorganization has nothing to do with race and for you to seek out a racist issue where none exists is a sad day for everyone.

February 11, 2008 08:29 pm at 8:29 pm |
  24. SOME BODY WHO CARES

who will al gore vote for in his state election,?

February 11, 2008 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  25. Phil in Canada

Everyone is wondering who should be Obama's VP if he wins... I say Al Gore!

February 11, 2008 08:33 pm at 8:33 pm |