February 11th, 2008

Sources: Gore has no plans to endorse

(CNN) - He's the most prominent Democrat yet to take a side in the presidential election, but two sources close to Al Gore tell us not to expect the former vice president to endorse either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama any time during the primary season.

The sources say Gore talks with both Clinton and Obama, and is on good terms with both. But with Sen. John Kerry and Bill Clinton both aligned to a candidate, Gore has a role to serve as the neutral elder statesman in the party.

Click here to read the rest of this post.

Filed under: Al Gore
  1. ernie

Better, run yourself Mr. Gore and be the endorsee by somebody else rather than the endorser for either of the "unwinnable" candidates. Does America or even the world want a replica of a tragic President like Bush ? This is likely to happen given the unfolding situation in the race. Why can't the Democrats find a "winnable" candidate vs a very-low-credibility Republican one ? And why is the "winnable" candidate reluctant in throwing his hat (even as an Independent) into the Presidential ring ?

February 11, 2008 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |
  2. WV Hillbilly

Al Gore won't take a position....oh no, whatever shall we do.

Who cares what the self-proclaimed 'inventor of the internet' thinks? Logic says he'd stick with the Clinton's, except for the fact that Billy pretty much put the kibash on any future Gore Presidency with his indiscretions during the latter part of the final term of Clinton/Gore. Emotion says he gives the Clinton machine the Heisman and endorses Obama, except he can't risk the access he'd lose if Hillary possibly makes it to the oval office. Whatever is Al to do?

The Obama machine is rolling and won't be stopped.

Al Gore?......hahahahahahahaha

February 11, 2008 10:05 pm at 10:05 pm |
  3. Steve, Landing, NJ

Jules–

Obama has repeatedly told people that change requires sacrifice, that solving our problems won't be easy, and that some things will require higher taxes, re-training, investment...

February 11, 2008 10:05 pm at 10:05 pm |
  4. Sarah Smith

OYEN Latinos!

I said it before Navarette said it!

"The Hispanic vote has always been wide open. , the Pew Hispanic Center found that Hillary Clinton had the support of 59 percent. Barack Obama was backed by 15 percent.

Clinton doesn't deserve that level of support from Hispanics,

Chips and guacamole, anyone? " Porque Clinton?

February 11, 2008 10:06 pm at 10:06 pm |
  5. Julian Sanchez

Who in the hell cares who Gore endorses! His endorsement carries no weight at all!

February 11, 2008 10:09 pm at 10:09 pm |
  6. Chase in Ann Arbor

To Chris from CT...your post doesn't make sense grammatically, which leads me to believe it doesn't make sense logically either. Way to come and bash a news story that highlights the disparity between endorsements by bringing in irrelevant data that leads to a completely different argument.

As for Gore not choosing a candidate to endorse, this is politically a smart move. He can further his environmental agenda by being on the good side of whoever is in office this way.

I'm voting for Obama. As a college student, I am tired of seeing my friends doing repeated tours in Iraq. I am sick of Hillary. I don't like her, her rhetoric or her antics. She seems fake, false, and insecure. At least Obama can back up his anti-war statements. Experience is garbage when you don't know how to utilize it properly.

February 11, 2008 10:10 pm at 10:10 pm |
  7. A. Harrison, Atlanta Georgia

Good for Gore...

Let these two duke it out. This is helping America grow believe it or not. We are growing to the occasion for the next generation of issues affecting our country.

But there can only be one winner.

Hillary 2008!

February 11, 2008 10:10 pm at 10:10 pm |
  8. Vote-Respbly08

Shame on Gore, Clinton was there when he needed him...

February 11, 2008 10:13 pm at 10:13 pm |
  9. Vote-Respbly08

Gore doen't want to unite anything, he wants to stay neutral. He should have backed Hillary, becasue the Clintons endorsed Gore when he was running. I guess Gore is a big deal now, who has forgotten who stood next to him.
    I guess only in time of need do we find out how things really are with people we think may support us.

Shame on Gore!!!

February 11, 2008 10:17 pm at 10:17 pm |
  10. Gary

Seriously, Gore has a point.

The candidates (espcially Obama) need to express what they stand for....seriously, enough of the BS for the sake of media ratings.

February 11, 2008 10:19 pm at 10:19 pm |
  11. Bein Careful

You people claiming that Gore should have been president make me laugh. He is a blooming joke now as he was before as Clintons lackey. A man who when he ran for president did not even win his home state. Let him play with his little endeavor about the climate but keep him out of politics.

February 11, 2008 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |
  12. Jake

Al Gore invented global warming. And the superdelegates.

February 11, 2008 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |
  13. Mark

* historically high levels of CO2 and globally warm temperature of the Carboniferous period as compared to the rest of the periods on the geological time scale.

February 11, 2008 10:25 pm at 10:25 pm |
  14. Steve Tecumseh, Kansas

Hillary's decision to MOVE her staff around is really her business and it has nothing to do with race. I am one of the many people that was suspose to be working in primary states and had airline tickets but never received a call from Solis so I did not go. This RACE thing has totally gotten out of hand. Our neighborhood has WHITE POWER and BLACK POWER signs that had to be taken down. Obama is going after black voters that have registered before....the Clintons have done more for blacks and latinos than any other President., but they are now switching to a black man....this race has divided the country into two colors again....I thought that we had moved forward.....what a shame. GO HILLARY

February 11, 2008 10:27 pm at 10:27 pm |
  15. Kyu Reisch, Radcliff, Kentucky

No matter what people say, Hillary is the best candidate for our President, she is ready to resolve the problems on day one. Obama is not ready, he is rolling the dice, he needs to learn more about leader's qualification, may be in 2016?

February 11, 2008 10:27 pm at 10:27 pm |
  16. Doria

Eric, I live in Texas and I am latino. I think that B.Obama will do well in the Austin, Tx area. It's liberal there due to the university. The rest of Texas, I think will go to H. Clinton. But, we'll see. I have always and will always vote Republican. Alot of latinos are conservative, but they just don't don't realize it. Mitt Romney is my candidate. Go Romney!!!

February 11, 2008 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  17. RestoreDemocracy08

Sigh... i wish my beloved Al was running. But since such is not to occur anytime soon, or ever for that matter, I must relinquish my faith to Barack. My hope is that he make Al Secretary of the Interior. Slowly but surely, we WILL restore Democracy. Speaking of, can we eliminate these super-delegates. To me its completely undemocratic. Why should ex preseidents, vice presidents and the such hold any more power over who is going to be the presidential nominee than the rest of us. WE THE PEOPLE...................................................!

February 11, 2008 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  18. Rancher

Gore is a true statesman – shows this again and again.

February 11, 2008 10:31 pm at 10:31 pm |
  19. Citizen

Forget about the hype and really take a hard look at Sen. Obama. Does he really look like someone you would be proud to call the president of the United States? I don't think that he has it. If it ended up being an election between him and Sen McCain it is my personal belief that the Republicans would win. It isn't that I don't like the man. The idea of a black president is great but not this man, not yet. Maybe he needs another eight years. He does not strike me as the patriarch of a nation. He is more like the older brother. I believe that the world is watching and unfortunately for Obama if elected will have trouble being taken seriously by the international community. It is time for America to be pragmatic not reckless.

February 11, 2008 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  20. The Insider

This article is such a crock. He'll endorse Obama, and it's coming soon.

February 11, 2008 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |
  21. Nick

The real issue is the negative coverage of Clinton by CNN. They take the smallest anti Hillary news and make it a headline. When it comes to Clinton every day is a slow news day for CNN.

February 11, 2008 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |
  22. paula

Hi,
    I'm Canadian and have followed the US election day and night. I am so interested in the same way I follow every convention which is held on one long weekend plus a day or two to elect the leader of the party. If that party wins they're automatically the Prime Minister. Sounds like a reasonable affair. In the states it's a whole different deal. I like Huckabee and will still like him although Mc Cain's the man, not a happy situation with the party. On the Democratic side I am taken with a black man and a woman which is phenominal. That is something to be proud of as a country. Either way it's great but I'm a Hillary supporter. I'll be focused right up to and including the next three weeks. Then there's the debate and the superdelegates....

HILLARY !!!!!

February 11, 2008 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |
  23. Mel Texas

I do not understand the "experience' Ms. Clinton has. My husband is a truck driver, doesn't mean I can drive one. I definitely would not want my surgeon's wife to perform any operation of me. Ms. Clinton seems to have more exposure to politics but that does not equal experience.

February 11, 2008 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  24. Ralph

Because most polls show that Hillary supporters usually lack a college education Michael. So unless you think the polls are total garbage you should probably take a look at it for yourself. Poll questions like this are generally correct.

I'd really like to see Gore support Obama but its not going to happen because Gore doesn't gain any power or anything else by doing this now. - sadly he is as power hungry as every other politician and once a politician always a politician.

February 11, 2008 10:39 pm at 10:39 pm |
  25. Dan

1) Vivian... get a life, there are plenty of politicans in this country to did something "stupid" when they were young.. I'm sure you did, too!

2) Good for Gore, I agree... the superdelegates should follow his lead. How about something new... how about the people decide the candidate, wouldn't that be a nifty idea...

February 11, 2008 10:39 pm at 10:39 pm |