February 11th, 2008

Sources: Gore has no plans to endorse

(CNN) - He's the most prominent Democrat yet to take a side in the presidential election, but two sources close to Al Gore tell us not to expect the former vice president to endorse either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama any time during the primary season.

The sources say Gore talks with both Clinton and Obama, and is on good terms with both. But with Sen. John Kerry and Bill Clinton both aligned to a candidate, Gore has a role to serve as the neutral elder statesman in the party.

Click here to read the rest of this post.

Filed under: Al Gore
  1. hkitty

Good man! Stay out of it, until this sorted out. We still love u President Gore!

On another note, the way the media and the left has trashed Hillary is so reminiscent to how they treated you. Still, you should both of them what you were made of and I have no doubt, Hillary will too!

February 11, 2008 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  2. blake

Al Gore wouldn't want to blow his holier than thous status as a Nobel Peace Prize winner over picking the wrong horse to ride. I don't quite know if he is exactly the elder statesman in the party since he hasn't been a statesman for like 8 years, but everybody likes to say nothing but good things about Al Gore now. Although I bet Obama would do anything for an endorsement from Al Gore, even forget that he was Clinton's Vice President. Thats the kind of change we can believe in.

February 11, 2008 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  3. Lani

I thought Nancy Pelosi endorsed Hillary Clinton?

February 11, 2008 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  4. SAMO

Gore will make a terrific president. It was unfair for the Supreme Court to deny us of his presidency in 2000.

I' sure hope to see him run next time around.

February 11, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  5. Jim in the Boonies

Finally Al Gore does something smart !!

February 11, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  6. democrat_2008

Glad to hear. I'm really sick of this Obamamania.

February 11, 2008 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  7. Amy, Kazoo

Eric, Tx- patti was actually set to step down a month ago. on her own.

February 11, 2008 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  8. JEB

NOW WHO CARES THIS IS A CANDIDATE THAT COULD-NOT WIN HIS OWN STATE. HE WON THE PRESIDENCY BUT NOT HIS STATE.

February 11, 2008 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  9. Lani

Eric TX, who cares if Hillary Clinton's campaign manager is black, white, latino or purple. That's her decision. If you make your decision based on that then you don't deserve to vote. This election is so ridiculous. I heard CNN mention that Hillary's manager was latino. What does that have to do with anything? You don't make decisions based on race. You make them based on issues. CNN was only trying to fan the flame to this fire. Anything to push Obama over to the top. Everyone in Obama's staff is white. No higher up black people. Does CNN mention that no?!

February 11, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  10. Scott

God bless Al Gore for doing this. That is why he would beat both Obama and Clinton out for the White House if he were to decide to run. My respect for this man continues to rise.

February 11, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  11. Amy, Kazoo

oops, hit submit too soon- she hasn't left the campaign either. she's still on it.

it really shouldnt matter to us very much how a candidate shuffles their campaign staff. Ultimately, we're buying or not buying what the CANDIDATE has to say. not the staff.

February 11, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  12. Aaron

Although I'm a Hillary supporter, I applaud Al Gore for remaining neutral in this race. His priority being reversing global warming (conspiracy theorists, please don't rant or attempt to debunk – I'm a "true believer"), roping himself into a policy plan would limit his ability to advocate for change on his own terms. Staying above the fray, he's sustaining the power of his own message.

Kudos, Mr. Gore!

February 11, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  13. tony

Oh, EricTX – you were not supporting Hillary Clinton. She needed to do something with her campaign. She was not discriminating against a Latina.

February 11, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  14. Bob

Maybe we can now stop hearing all the "Gore to Endorse Obama" rumors we have been hearing for weeks.

February 11, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  15. Independent

All superdelegates should follow his lead.

Obama 08'

February 11, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  16. GIRL POWER

I can respect Gore's decision. But if we don't have a candidate in the very near future, the republicans will win and that means more years of war...

I think Hillary is the smarter choice for president. I heard several of her debates and she's always very specific as to how she plans to lead the country and make changes.

I don't like Obama because he's not as experienced and I don't think he has family values. He's a millionaire and yet allows his grandmother to live in poverty.
    I don't share the same values with him.

February 11, 2008 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  17. Jermika

He's got the right idea. All of the supedelegates oughtta keep quiet and vote the will of the people. BUT, am I the only one that finds it shady as heck that he's not giving his endorsement to HRC? Didn't he used to work for her husband?

Just wonderin.

O/08!!
    Si Se Puede

February 11, 2008 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  18. park more

Former VP AlGore (Bill Clinton) knows very well Hillary and her convictions. On the other hand, he does not know Obama. To me it is obvious that AlGore is for Hillary-Clinton

February 11, 2008 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  19. Mark

Neutral Elder Statesman? How about "neutered" elder statesman . . . Isn't Jimmy Carter more elder and higher ranked?

February 11, 2008 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  20. blake

He Eric. you are obviously an Obama hack. The whole PSD thing is being blown way out of proportion. I bet you couldn't even tell me the name of Obama's campaign manager. Oh that's right you are a "volunteer". Go ahead, look it up on the website and "prove me wrong". Do you feel like Bill Clinton threw you aside? GWB certainly did. But Bill did not. Oh and I heard Target was going to endorse Obama, since they are the "walmart for hipsters". Oh and I also heard that Obama will only debate in Austin so he can get as many rich college students to donate their parents money without their consent to his campaign as possible.

February 11, 2008 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  21. Bob

He should endorse Mike Gravel.

February 11, 2008 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  22. Dusty

Great decision Al Gore! Stay neutral and let the voters decide. its bad enought that the media beleives we need them to tell us who is up and down in their silly polls as if any of that matters. I would like to see some fairness in the portrayal of the candidates. let them speak for themselves rather than these silly celebrities and political pundits filling the airways with their personal views, which have little if any impact on this history making election.

stick to the issues. ballot bowl rules, lets have more of it and less of those that are paid to propigate politics for us.

February 11, 2008 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  23. AJ

Eric – please don't say we latinos are backing obama. Please rephrase to some latinos are supporting Obama. As a hispanic I support Hillary Clinton as well as all my friends and family. Young and old we are behind her. We just heard that she is opening an office here and are getting ready to go down and volunteer. I can only speak for myself – I will never vote for Obama. Not today not in this lifetime. Unlike others we will not forget what she has done for us. Starting with helping the mexicans way back when to go out and vote. You just don't forget.
    Clinton 08

February 11, 2008 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  24. John, NC

"Eric, TX"

You are an IMPOSTOR, trying to gain cheap Latino votes for Obama. Shame on you!

Latinas vote for SUBSTANCE!

Latinos (majority) vote for HILLARY '08!!!

February 11, 2008 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  25. Texas for Hilary!

Eric Tx:

Please–do vote for Obama because you are stupid! You obviously do not understand anything about campaigns! This Hispanic is sticking with Hillary!

February 11, 2008 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |