February 11th, 2008

Sources: Gore has no plans to endorse

(CNN) - He's the most prominent Democrat yet to take a side in the presidential election, but two sources close to Al Gore tell us not to expect the former vice president to endorse either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama any time during the primary season.

The sources say Gore talks with both Clinton and Obama, and is on good terms with both. But with Sen. John Kerry and Bill Clinton both aligned to a candidate, Gore has a role to serve as the neutral elder statesman in the party.

Click here to read the rest of this post.

Filed under: Al Gore
  1. Chase

I have to admit, I hate all this political deal making and agreements. It's dogone childhis to me that one candidate would say "you didn't endorse me for the nomination, so even though we're in the same party, I'm not going to work with you".

Personally, I'd love to see either Obama (or Clinton, although I think it is not needed as much) choose Bill Richardson as a running mate. Not only do I like the man's politics, it would be a beautiful inter-brown diverse ticket. In fact, although I'm not latin, I would have possibly voted for Bill Richardson if he had still been in it when my state held it's primary.

February 12, 2008 03:26 am at 3:26 am |
  2. Thinking in CA

I think Gore is correct in not choosing a candidate. He should be encouraging Americans to 1) Vote and 2) Make an informed choice by reading the issues, engaging in discussions and voting for the person they think is best qualified for the job.

I believe that any person who actually examines the issues and makes an informed choice has my respect, regardless of who they choose.

Personally, I believe that the only logical choice for the democratic presidential nominee – based on a need for change, history of action, and experience is Hillary Clinton.

February 12, 2008 03:31 am at 3:31 am |
  3. Amused, Las Vegas

Kiki February 11, 2008 7:58 pm ET

"I am a woman, and I can honestly say that Hillary Clinton is a disgrace to all women."

Honestly? You can honestly say that? You must be so proud.

February 12, 2008 03:32 am at 3:32 am |
  4. Clint

Gore is a smart guy and the Clintons should have campaigned for him during his election to the White House....

Go Obama!

February 12, 2008 03:38 am at 3:38 am |
  5. Good for Gore

I'm not sure if being mum on his endorsements is good for either candidate although given the fact that he was the VP to Bill Clinton, by not endorsing Hillary, says a lot. So perhaps he really wants to endorse Obama, but doesn't want to threaten his long-time standing with the Clintons. That being said, I can't help but wonder what this nation would have been with Gore as president for the last 8 years instead of Bush. Perhaps we would have never gotten into this Iraq War to the same extent as we have been; as of now, the Iraq War has lasted longer than World War II - a much more involved war. Gore got my vote then, and would get it now - if he were running.

All I know:
    If Obama gets the nomination, then I'm voting McCain.
    If Hillary gets the nomination, then she gets my vote.

February 12, 2008 03:45 am at 3:45 am |
  6. be the change

Al Gore is the best. It would be good to find out who he and Edward's are voting for.

After all the GWB nonsense war against Americans, any ethical democrat will be the ticket.

February 12, 2008 03:58 am at 3:58 am |
  7. Sam IA

Chris, Middletown. You need to stay on the flat earth blog at FOX. This venue is for adults.

February 12, 2008 04:31 am at 4:31 am |
  8. MySay

Senators Reid and Pelosi no longer care about the American people, so why should we care about who they will endorse?

February 12, 2008 04:47 am at 4:47 am |
  9. kasmall

Thanks Gore.

But its advisable you Go for OBAMA. This man has demostrated he he is for real change.

Thanks Al

February 12, 2008 05:01 am at 5:01 am |
  10. Hmmmm

some one should encourage Gore to get into this race. It would be really fun to watch all Obama's and Clintons supporters jump ship. the media would have a field day covering this. Ratings would sky-rocket the economic stimulas of money pored into covering every detail of this event might balance the budget before Bush leaves office. Democrats could take full credit for this and be seen as the saviors of the free world on two different levels economic , and global warming.,,,,,,, NOT !

February 12, 2008 05:12 am at 5:12 am |
  11. tj

Still flip-flopping!!

February 12, 2008 05:15 am at 5:15 am |
  12. Independent in DC

Amazing how much misinformation gets posted about each candidate from the opposing side...smh...yes people are indeed sheep.

February 12, 2008 05:24 am at 5:24 am |
  13. This is not Amercian Idol

According to some reports in some of the caucus states they were as young as 15 & 16 – yet no-one checked their ages. Obama is bussing in voters for caucuses and open registration on the day primaries and anyone who can't see it is blind or dumb.

What is going on here is not democracy but kleptocracy.

February 12, 2008 05:25 am at 5:25 am |
  14. Arawak

Everyone wants to influence the election. Everone is in denial about race and ethnicity. 80 percent blacks, high percentage of educated, and high percentage of young are voting for Obama.

My question is about the 80 percent of blacks? Are they rich, educated, and young? I suppose it's not about race! I wonder if the Black/White divide will eventally come into play if Obama is the noiminee? I wonder what would happen if the Whites would behave like Blacks?

I believe that Obama will get the nomination! He deserves it. But the bottom line is that most americans will opt for who is more experienced in this perilous time in our history. I also buy into the historical nature of having a black or woman for the first time. I don't actually know what the outcome would be. I don't think anyone else know. So do you civic duty, and don't tell me what to do!

February 12, 2008 06:31 am at 6:31 am |
  15. MK

Good for him. This is the way our elder statesmen should act, not running to endorse someone becaue of spite (like Kennedy).

February 12, 2008 06:33 am at 6:33 am |
  16. Will

I wish he was running. 🙁

February 12, 2008 06:39 am at 6:39 am |
  17. Don Bryant

Hasn't Al heard about the DEADHEADS FOR OBAMA concert? I know he and Tipper are long time afficionados of The Grateful Dead.....but then i heard Bill likes the Dead too. Leave to Al to put the Country ahead of his personal preferences...

February 12, 2008 06:48 am at 6:48 am |
  18. Elva Dugan

I think Mr. Gore is right in not endorsing any of the two Democratic presidential candidates at this time. He is smart in waiting and hopefull he will wait until
    remaining states are done with their voting. He had my vote in 2000 and he has my now. Too bad Mr. Gore is not running for president at this time.

February 12, 2008 06:49 am at 6:49 am |
  19. Just looking

I found it sad as a outsider, to see such a large amount of comments focusing on Latino, Black and other issues....are you Democrats the party of the people, are you so focused on these frankly sterotypical issues that you decide to vote purely on race, wheter that be Hilary sacking her latino campaign manager, or Obama having very few high ranking black memebers of hs campaign team...it just sounds so insignificant, what happened to voting for the candidate that has policys which YOU support, you are indviduals it's time some you act like it and stopping throwing mud around...

February 12, 2008 06:56 am at 6:56 am |
  20. Gbenga Kayode

I will love Hillary Clinton to win the Democratic primaries because for the Democrats not to loose it this time around as everything is set for the democrats to take over the white house , they the Clintons once again to fight against the Republicans for experience in governance, better economic prospects and plans, racial segregation which i dont think Barrack Obama has. I think Obama will be a candidate that will be better off if he comes after Hillary finishes in power as he would have learnt a lot and he will follow the Clintons as i believe in the Clintons economic magic. It has worked flor America in the past and it will work again just allow Clinton now and please let Obama my man take over from after her tenure in the white house.

I am a Nigerian staying in the UK. I love Obama but please Obama i am also black try and allow Clinton now and come after her later UP Democrats.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 12, 2008 06:58 am at 6:58 am |
  21. Michael

They say latinos are in a majority voting for Hillary....could that be because latinos in general do not like blacks? Could this be a racist play by the latinos? I suspect the answer is yes....Rascism is not a term limited to caucasians, that is a fact. Anyone who would say otherwise is a fool and narrow minded.

February 12, 2008 07:10 am at 7:10 am |
  22. Texas U. student

young educated people 4 obama 08

hillary sucks.....shes had her time. we need new faces

February 12, 2008 07:17 am at 7:17 am |
  23. Kevin, Wareham MA

He should just go away.

February 12, 2008 07:24 am at 7:24 am |
  24. rich

There will be no role for Gore to facilitate. He will let Billary fight there own battles. They either sink or swim. And I think they will sink. Texas, OH, and PA are not going to turn out the way Hillary thinks. That's the word from my crystal ball.

February 12, 2008 07:30 am at 7:30 am |
  25. Maggie

Mr. Gore, remember the Clintons supprted you when you were campaigning for the presidency. Put your support where you got it for yourself. We tend to forget who has helped us out when it was needed. Hillary needs your support so be the man and come right out and endorse her. I am sure Obama was not there to support you so you hold no obligation to him. Hillary is the stronger candidate so do your job abd support her.

Forget the media hype because if Obama wins, the republican will definitely get back in and I am sure you won't that to happen. Hillary is the right person for the job.

February 12, 2008 07:46 am at 7:46 am |