February 11th, 2008

Sources: Gore has no plans to endorse

(CNN) - He's the most prominent Democrat yet to take a side in the presidential election, but two sources close to Al Gore tell us not to expect the former vice president to endorse either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama any time during the primary season.

The sources say Gore talks with both Clinton and Obama, and is on good terms with both. But with Sen. John Kerry and Bill Clinton both aligned to a candidate, Gore has a role to serve as the neutral elder statesman in the party.

Click here to read the rest of this post.

Filed under: Al Gore
  1. baldeagle82

No guts. He was 8 yrs with the Clintons and can't give an endorsement.

February 11, 2008 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  2. Farrell, Houston, Tx

Al Gore knows what the political arena is like and endorsements aren't likely to carry a candidate. I'm sure Gore is watching closely to see if 2000 will be repeated and right now there is a very strong possibility, it'll just have a new spin on it.

February 11, 2008 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  3. stuart in l.a.

We Dems are in worrisome waters here- it remains to be seen if Clinton supporters will vote for Obama should he win, and vice versa. Judging from the posts on CNN, it seems unlikely, which will only favor McCain. Please, Dems, let's use our heads and get this one right. The Supreme court will be cinched for decades to come by whomever becomes next president. Enough said......!

February 11, 2008 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  4. Kat, Huntington, West Virginia

YES-Gore should have been president but many in this country went with the slick, fun, likeable message of W-PLEASE DO NOT do that again. Go with experience and the person best suited for this job right now. Obama may be the best person in 8 years he is young, but not right now. Please get out and vote for the only person who can beat McCain and help lead this country out of this mess.
    Hillary 08

February 11, 2008 06:29 pm at 6:29 pm |
  5. James

Good on Gore for staying out of this mess of a primary. It's just too bad he didn't run himself...

February 11, 2008 06:29 pm at 6:29 pm |
  6. Boy

Not endorsing is endorsing Obama.

February 11, 2008 06:29 pm at 6:29 pm |
  7. Alan, Bonita Springs, FL

When I see comments refuting Al's position regarding global warming, all I can say is show me your Nobel Peace Prize or shut up and go home.

These are the same people constantly brining up Gore's unfortunate mis-statement that he "invented" the Internet, as if it somehow proves he's a idiot. He was instrumental in drafting the legistlation that made the Internet possible. As a Senator he was constantly pro-technology - fighting the cable cartel when they were trying to say the signals they dropped in everyone's yards were their "property" and it should be illegal to view them unless you get them via cable. Etc. Etc. Etc.

He didn't INVENT the Internet. He made a slip of the tongue and meant to say he was one of the MAJOR influencers who did indeed make the Internet possible.

Again I will say - show me your Nobel Peace Prize or shut up. Gore is brilliant. He "lost" the 2000 electrion and look what we got for eight years in his place.

Nuff said.

February 11, 2008 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |
  8. CA Voter

I see comments like the following often amongst the CNN cooments section:

"If my candidate (Clinton/Obama) does not win the nomination, I'm voting for McCain."

From my chair, this is a rather childish, foolish, and counter productive position to take. In the end, there is little difference between Obama and Hillary and we all want what they claim to be offering... in short people are saying that they would rather have more of the same, rather than having what they want want, because it's the wrong person (in your mind) who gave it to them?

Whoever ends up with the nomination will get my vote be it Clinton or Obama. I'm a democrat and believe in the tenets of the party.

I think if you are so dogmatic about a specific candidate… maybe you should vote GOP (McCain) as that’s one of the hallmarks of the GOP. No flexibility.

February 11, 2008 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |
  9. Sean Chong

Darth Vadik, CA, True... Ron Paul's revolution is far too simple for a complicated US political system. WIth nearly 90% of the black voting for him, and a lot of younger people, some experience has been missing here.

February 11, 2008 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |
  10. aggiemom

I wanted GORE to run for president this year, but he didn't so I am supporting OBAMA all the way to the White House.

YES WE CAN

TEXANS for OBAMA

February 11, 2008 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |
  11. nazirmo

Hillary has been talking about Global warming the past several weeks in her
    town hall meetings and in speeches.

February 11, 2008 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  12. Martin in PA

Maybe it maintains his "senior statesman" status for a while, but he'll likely be forced to commit at some point when things get really ugly (which I think they will). Why not commit now and prevent the ugliness? I suspect he's biding his time until one candidate is more clearly a "front runner". Frankly, Gore has always struck me as a stick in the mud (even though I voted for him in 2000).

February 11, 2008 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  13. BV

If Obama is JFK, then why isn't he aksing voters "Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country"
    Thank you for demonstrating your ignorance. Obama's message is about getting people involved in politics and in changing their country. The best example? You want Money for College? Obama wants to give you $4k if you just give back to the community with volunteer hours.
    Obama stands for getting the average American involved in changing this country. To suggest otherwise is not only misleading, its just wrong.

February 11, 2008 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  14. Begonia

Hillary Clinton has always been on the Latino side and for all minorities. Pay attention to the issues and you will notice that Barack Obama has nothing to say but a yes we can slogan.....but that's all he says! Listen to Hillary Clinton, I'm worried about the economy and she has a plan and at least she's talking about it.

February 11, 2008 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  15. ga rules!!!!

hey ron he is definitly oowning you so endorse him man anything beats huckabee

February 11, 2008 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  16. SJ

Smart man Gore is! Trying to unite instead of divide.

For myself and a lot others, if it goes toward Obama, our votes will cross party lines for McCain and I've heard grumbling of we're just not going to vote and McCain will have the numbers.

Gore should try to get Hillary and Obama to work together on one united ticket. That is what all of us feel would be the "true American dream". But the reality is that Hillary will do it; but Obama will never as his feeling of his own power and self worth would never allow it. He wants it all to himself.

Again, Gore is the only one who looks beyond the now and into the bigger picture.

February 11, 2008 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  17. Ready for change in VA

Just wondering why I was blacklisted, CNN. You haven't posted any of my anti-Obama comments. I have only told the truth, but maybe his unelectability isn't something you want to face. I have tried to post about 6 different times, and each time, my posts are ignored. I thought you were a news source, not an Obama-source! Maybe the nation needs to rely on someone else for their 'non-partial' news.

February 11, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  18. Ardnuas

Tell us the TRUTH about HILLBILLY !!! The fact that you will NOT endorse someone you were in the Whitehouse with for 8 years, tells SMART people how the Clintons REALLY are !!!!!
    Obama/Edwards 08 YES WE CAN SI SE PUEDE

February 11, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  19. ga rules!!!!

gore you r awesome but i say go obama or dont go at all

February 11, 2008 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  20. Ryan

Eric in TX, Solis Doyle isn't being thrown to the side, she's still a top advisor. I know you anti-Hillary people love a good conspiracy theory, but maybe – just maybe, all of the stress from this mega campaign was in fact hard on Solid Doyle... otherwise, Solis Doyle undoubtedly would have gone to the press to give them their hating-Hillary stories that they thrive for. Another shameful attack by an Obama supporter at Hillary's base... though that base remains steadfast by her.

As for Gore, I have a lot of respect for him. He is making a wise decision to think this through and wait it out. As for Edwards, I respect him as well, and wish he too wouldn't get involved in this mess.

February 11, 2008 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  21. Frank

Who cares who Gore endorses, he is irrelevant to all, except his mindless worshippers that believe he is a prophet. Like the other false and self proclaimed prophet ,Muhummad, both have mindless followers that believe
    everything they say as truth.

February 11, 2008 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  22. Mirta

Good, I hope he does hold his water and not endorse anyone.

Hey Darth ~ You're right, where is Ron Paul? His revolution died just as will Obama's. FINALLY after the 60 Minutes interview last night, he has to discuss his lack of experience. No one pushes him...no one asks him tough questions... no one wants to be considered nasty to him or they will be labeled racist (just like Bill Clinton was). Obama has found the loop hole in politics. If he does win the nomination (God forbid), the Repubs will eat him alive on his religion, his experience, his family in Kenya (look up his brother – you'll be shocked at what you read!), Rezko and his wife's ties to corporate boards...just wait and see.

Hillary '08

February 11, 2008 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  23. Echo

I still wish he was in the White House.

February 11, 2008 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  24. MARYLOU JONES

IF YOU NEED ANYONE'S OPINION/ENDORSEMENT TO TELL YOU WHO TO VOTE FOR, YOU NEED TO GO BACK AND STUDY THE ISSUES AND READ WHO WILL DO THE BEST FOR YOU AND THE COUNTRY. VOTING WITHOUT KNOWING WHAT YOU ARE VOTING FOR IS STUPID!

February 11, 2008 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  25. lee

Gore knows that everyone should make up his own mind and not follow endorsements or the biased press. Voters should take the election seriously and not be lead around by the nose. Obama, despite what he says, is devisive and Gore knows he, as the elder statesman and a man who is committed to the betterment of the world, has the ability to unite the Democratic party behind their candidate. Hurray for this intelligent man.

February 11, 2008 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |