February 11th, 2008

Sources: Gore has no plans to endorse

(CNN) - He's the most prominent Democrat yet to take a side in the presidential election, but two sources close to Al Gore tell us not to expect the former vice president to endorse either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama any time during the primary season.

The sources say Gore talks with both Clinton and Obama, and is on good terms with both. But with Sen. John Kerry and Bill Clinton both aligned to a candidate, Gore has a role to serve as the neutral elder statesman in the party.

Click here to read the rest of this post.

Filed under: Al Gore
  1. Annie

Good for him..I'm tired of all the Democratic Power Brokers telling me who I should vote for ..as well as telling Florida & Mich. that 1 person ,1 vote is no longer the rule...Doesn't sound very Democratic to me. I think that power & bias has disconnected the DNC from a large block of voters.

February 11, 2008 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  2. Frank

It's kind of sad that politicians have such a hard time making up their mind. Imagine that would be us ...' Noooo, I am not ready for the primary yet. I am not sure who s winning'.

It's simple. I listen to the debate. I look at the campaign trail and how the candidates present themselves (and others). I visit their websites and read through the policies they say they stand for. Then I look at 'who' they are and what their chances are of winning.

That's how I decided to vote for Barack Obama !!

And that's also how I found out that I would never vote for Hillary Clinton. I would rather see the White House four more years in Republican hands.

OBAMA is a once-in-a-lifetime candidate and to me Billary is an I-should-be-president-too candidate. Sorry, but this does not run in the family (although Jep Bush is already lining up out there)

February 11, 2008 07:26 pm at 7:26 pm |
  3. Brian, CO

I wish he could have been president, what a better place it would be...

February 11, 2008 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  4. Bimmer

Gore would not, but CNN has already endorsed one.

February 11, 2008 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  5. Mel

..And I was SO worried about Al endorsing a=somebody........

February 11, 2008 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  6. Brad, Stockton, CA

OK, good. Now move on.

February 11, 2008 07:28 pm at 7:28 pm |
  7. J

Why would Edwadrs endorse Obama? after senator Obama constantly kept calling Edwards the white guy as if that was a bad thing, senator Obama talks about birnging people together yet he belong to a Christian Church that has a minister who has ties to bad people, and is a racist. Would Obama not only try to better the Economy of this Country, but be the strongest leader in protecting it ? I don't think so.

February 11, 2008 07:28 pm at 7:28 pm |
  8. Jessica

Excuse me, but wouldn't an "endorsement" by al gore be the death knell for anyone???? GLOBAL WARMING? "Winner" of the desgraced Nobel Peace Prize (just look at recent awardees) INVENTOR OF THE INTERNET? HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLO, REALITY CHECK!!!! Who cares about al gore????????????????????????????? and Why would they?????????????????????????????????????????????????

February 11, 2008 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  9. lorraine

Finally someone with sound reasoning, why create enemies of either of them.

February 11, 2008 07:30 pm at 7:30 pm |
  10. Sternberg

Hell, he still thinks he is the President.

February 11, 2008 07:30 pm at 7:30 pm |
  11. Mac Ibrahim

Al, you have earned the respect of every body all over again.

February 11, 2008 07:30 pm at 7:30 pm |
  12. RJB2

You can't blame the man
    It is a tough spot to be in

He will support one after the final nod

February 11, 2008 07:30 pm at 7:30 pm |
  13. Gabe

Thomas speak for yourself. If Obama gets the nod, I am all in. If HIllary gets the nod, I am sitting it out, maybe waiting for McCain to convince me

February 11, 2008 07:31 pm at 7:31 pm |
  14. ps

I just want to convey my heart-felt respect to the vice president Gore for his make sense dicision.

February 11, 2008 07:31 pm at 7:31 pm |
  15. Mike

In terms of the environment Gore would definitely vote Hillary! Join the Green Revolution...vote Hillary!

February 11, 2008 07:31 pm at 7:31 pm |
  16. Carressa, Florida

I think this is the way all of the delegates should go because it should be about the people and what the American people want. Why is it so hard for our hard head politicians to see that? Much respect for Gore and the rest of the delegates who are holding out.

February 11, 2008 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |
  17. nic

Isn't that the guy who won the Presidency but then gave it to W?

February 11, 2008 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |
  18. richard

Facts and opinions gathered on the net.

Hey Obama please release the following documents please:
    – Your Columbia University Transcripts. (has refused so far)
    – A list of your friends, roommates and bosses during your time in New York. By the way this is required for a security clearance. (has refused so far)
    – Documents regarding your time in the Illinois Senate. (Obama refused and now says the documents were lost)
    – The documents concerning your house purchase and the purchase of the lot next door and the subsequent purchase of part of that lot by you.
    – A document showing how you handled the "gift" from Rezcko on your house purchase. (If not on your tax return during the year you purchased your house then you have violated federal law?
    – A list of the people who have bundled your contributions, including any money from overseas sources.
    – A transcript of the conversations that you had as a sitting U.S. Senator with Railla Odinga while he was running for the presidency of foreign government( Kenya).
    – An explanation of your wherabouts during the period Nov 3 through Nov 8, 1999, while a State Senator from Illinois.
    It seems lots of folks make judgment without researhing information first. Senator Clinton made lots of money on her book...and is still recieving royalties. She was paid over 8 million and certainly has other resources. The deal with the uranium mine...if you had done your research..would have shown President Clinton said ..no..to any involvment. That is the part the press doesnt tell. Check out Media Matters. I dont think most of Hillary's supporters realized she was short of money...and once they knew...the donations came in. Senator Obama asks for donations all the time. Senator Clinton and her husband never recieved any money from Rezko. Senator Obama's main contributor from the beginning of his career has been Rezko. Rezko also has close ties with Auchi...who has been found guilty by of deals relating to nuclear plants in Iraq. That makes Obama three times removed from that situation. Auchi is the reason Rezko is in jail now...due to flight risk. Check sites out about Rezko. Rezko also contributed funds to George W Bush. You can say...well...Clintons' had Hue. Some differences....Hue got his money from big investors. Obama got his money from misuse of taxpayers funds. Rezko said he couldnt pay for the heat in the buildings in Chicago. People going without heat in a Chicago winter? Chicago gets cold. During that time...Rezko gives a thousand dollars to Obama for his political career. I find it hard to believe that Obama didnt know about these conditions in his district...when the City Of Chicago was taking Rezko to court for this. Obama wrote a letter of recommendation for Rezko to get funding for his housing. Those letters are available to see at a website ...taylor marsh. They have government heading on them. You cant tell me that Obama didnt know that Rezko was under federal investigation when he go a deal with him to buy his house. Check it out. Senator Obama hasnt been that honest about all of this.

Come on sheeple this is BIG media and the republican walking you into a trap. Edwards supporters it was BIG media that made him have to drop out. It is BIG media that gives Obama legs with there love fest. We are being divided. He is a good speaker, but when the lights fade and the arena empties the good speker will be all alone. Do the research people. Don’t be tricked again.

February 11, 2008 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |
  19. AJ, IL

I understand and respect Gore's decision. He secretly wants Obama to have the lead in the pledged delegates category come Summer 2008 at the national convention.

Obama in '08!

February 11, 2008 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  20. mona

I wish he would support Obama so we can have more Democratic presidential nominees who ran for the president's office and LOST supporting Barack Hussein Obama!!! He can be with Ted Kennedy and John Kerry.

February 11, 2008 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  21. Allison

Al Gore you are the man you should have been the 43rd President and Jeb Bush fixed Florida even people from the dead were voting. I have the utmost respect for you.

February 11, 2008 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  22. Bubba

I'm shocked ! Al Gore, a democrat with a smiggen of ethics ! Kewl ! ! !

February 11, 2008 07:36 pm at 7:36 pm |
  23. sandi

Al Gore is doing what is best for Al Gore. The message he sends by not endorsing is that it doesn't matter whether Clinton wins or Obama wins....HIS agenda matters more. By not endorsing in this close race, he supports the republican candidate.

February 11, 2008 07:36 pm at 7:36 pm |
  24. Bimmer

Gore is a man of principle, not like the the the slimey, snake-likre Kerry who would do anything for his own interest.

He has no sense of gratefulness in endorsing Obama when Clinton came out of his operation theatre to campaign for this losing soul.

February 11, 2008 07:36 pm at 7:36 pm |
  25. JoeNyc

Way to go Al.. very caculating.. you won't endorse until you know for sure who the winner is.. this is really audacious... NOT!

February 11, 2008 07:40 pm at 7:40 pm |