February 12th, 2008

Dems look to Texas

(CNN) –With an eye toward upcoming primary contests on March 4–including delegate-rich Texas– Sen. Barack Obama is appealing to lower-income Hispanic voters in a new Spanish-language radio ad released in the state Tuesday.

"Barack Obama is talking to me," says the announcer in Spanish. "He's faced many of the same challenges that we've faced in my family."

The sixty-second ad highlights Obama's "hard work" that helped him rise from humble beginnings and eventually attend Harvard Law School.

"And instead of accepting job offers that paid a lot of money, Obama decided to work with churches, giving a helping hand to those less fortunate in his community," the ad says.

Meanwhile, Sen. Hillary Clinton flew to El Paso for a campaign stop Tuesday as voters were still casting ballots in the Potomac primary.

In Texas, Clinton is counting on strong support from Hispanic voters, a group that has reliably turned out for her in the past. But after campaign manager Patti Solis Doyle - a Mexican-American - was ousted as campaign manager this weekend, some Hispanics are voicing objections.

"Hillary Clinton's campaign is in trouble and the highest-ranking Hispanic in her camp is paying the price," wrote the editorial staff of El Diario, a daily Spanish newspaper based in New York. "Clinton has worked hard for the Hispanic votes she has gained so far in this tight race, and it would be a mistake to risk alienating that base."

UPDATE: The Clinton campaign is releasing a radio advertisement aimed towards Hispanic voters in Texas that proclaims "Hillary is our friend,” and promotes the candidate's plan for universal health care.

"She respects our culture and understands the problems that affect our community," an announcer says in the thirty-second ad, which has been used to target Hispanics in previous primary contests. "Let's vote for Hillary…and we will have a better life."

- CNN Associate Producer Rachel Streitfeld

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Hillary Clinton • Texas
  1. Independent

First Clinton was looking to Super Tuesday as a seal of her inevitability, but it took Obama only a week to overtake her.

Now she is looking to Texas? The Clintons are good liars but not fast learners.

February 12, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  2. Cathy

I think people are reading too much into the changes in Hillary's campaign staff. I've heard though that there is some fear among staffers to point out problems or issues. This does lead one to question her style of governing. Remember the way she conducted her Healthcare effort was not all that different than the way Cheney engineered the Energy effort. I don't view her as being very collaborative. But that is just my opinion.

February 12, 2008 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  3. Karen from Minnesota

If Obama is the nominee Hillary will graciously asked her supporters to elect him president. if she doesn't there will be two things happening: Democrats for McCain and a write-in campaign for HIllary. A third possiblity would be a Bloomberg candidacy. He could win!

February 12, 2008 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  4. mike

Texas is Ron Paul country, you get my vote sir.
    We all know that CNN censors you, but they can't censor my vote.

February 12, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  5. Elsa

Mi Familia is behind Senator Obama because he believes in giving illegal immigrants a path to citizenship without requiring them to leave the United States and breaking families apart. He’s also been a long time supporter of the Dream Act, which will provide undocumented immigrant children that have excelled in school with a chance to get a college degree and provide them with a path for them to earn legal permanent residency. He’s been with us for a long time. We just didn’t know it. Sí se puede. Yes we can.

February 12, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  6. David

You got it all twisted, Obama is the future and Hillary is the past.

Obama ur the BOSS!

February 12, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  7. GO Hillary!

I'm voting for her! And hopefully when she's in, she can fire all the media people who hyped up the campaign negatively, costing American's millions in support money!

February 12, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  8. TomTx.

Maria – Good Call. Obama can win in the general election. Hillary faces sure defeat by the republicans.

February 12, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  9. J

Obama is making HUGE gains with Latino voters in Texas so I would not be surprised if he actually wins TEXAS too. Many Latinos can relate to Barack Obama's experience trying to find his way despite not being born with a silver spoon in his mouth. After all, this is the man who graduated from HARVARD LAW SCHOOL with scholarships helping him out. OBAMA supports Latino families and the word is spreading that he IS the candidate for ALL PEOPLE OF ALL RACES. When he was community organizing he worked with Latino families too. during this time Hillary was doing nothing for their community; just makign big bucks as a corporate lawye. OBAMA 08!!!! Adelante con Orgullo!

February 12, 2008 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  10. dc

So for all the latino voters out there – please list for me 3 things the Clintons did for the latino community? I am latino and can't think of one thing that they did that actually benefitted me because I was hispanic. Please help me understand this idea that I should be endebted to the Clintons. My parents were hard workers and they provided for me and my sister. The prospered under Reagan in the 80's as well as the Clinton's in the 90's. They are doing just fine now. So again – what did the Clinton's do that is so specific that I need to sway my vote to Hillary?

February 12, 2008 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  11. Tim Struve

On the contrary.

I believe that Obama has more of a chance to beat out John McCain than Hillary, simply because Obama's lack of an extensive political record and the mere fact that he has fewer political enemies than Clinton (the entire Republican Party plus a large chunk of the Democratic Party).

Many people will cast their votes against Hillary simply because she is Hillary. I realize that John McCain is confronted with a similar dilemma because of his political "moderatism", but I really don't think that an additional half-decade in Iraq will improve our economy, and that is where McCain's political platforms lie. At all costs, we need to remove our forces from Iraq, and I doubt having Hillary as the Democratic candidate will accomplish that.

February 12, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  12. Wayne, Greenville TX

Jerome February 12, 2008 4:21 pm ET

"Black people are voting for Obama because he is black. "

I'm white. And I'll be voting for Barack Obama in the Texas Primary because I think he's the best candidate out there, and the one who will WIN in November!!!!

February 12, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  13. Frank

I hope the teleprompter doesn't break on Obama again or he could be in trouble without reading what's been written for him:

"Shorn of his Teleprompter, we saw a different Obama," Barnett writes. "His delivery was halting and unsure. He looked down at his obviously copious notes every few seconds throughout the speech. Unlike the typical Obama oration where the words flow with unparalleled fluidity, he stumbled over his phrasing repeatedly."

February 12, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  14. EricTx

We Latino's in Texas need to come together and vote obama. I was leaning toward hilary till I see she forced our fellow latino Solis Doyle to step down (fired for all purposes). Is this what we can expect. Hilary giving us Latino voters promises and then when she gets our vote, throwing us to the side because she got what she wanted. We need to come together as Latino's and make a stand. I am voting obama.

February 12, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  15. voter in ark

Jill,

"Hillary, like any employer".... WILL FIRE YOU! It's evident that as soon as you don't contribute to her "bottom line" you are expendable.

I don't need another boss... I need a motivator... a leader... Someone who will inspire and lead at thier own expense... not America's.

Come on folks, do you really think the President of the USA act's as a glorified secretary? We need somebody who will unite and mobilize the THOUSANDS of public servants that exist in America... not polarize them.

February 12, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  16. Beekeeper

With 2,295 of 4,049 delegates decided…each candidate must have 2,025 delegates to win. That's a lie & The U.S.A. has a big beef with that!!!

The U.S. has a problem with that, because FL & MI don't count. If they did, there would still be 4,049 delegates left to be decided. That's not the case!!

Since they don't count, why not say the truth?

Why not tell the U.S.A. that you'd need a mere 1,805 delegates to win the nomination, since there are actually only 3,607 delegates available!?!

Again, all because of no FL & no MI.

I think it's legitimate to ask, because of how close the race is. The numbers stem from 720 Superdelegates & 2,887 Pledged Delegates; as apposed to the alleged 796 Sup's & alleged 3,253 Pledge's.

It is or it isn't. But, it's not both. So, which one is it AP??? We The People need to Wake Up!! The only way that can happen is if the truth be told. Let the votes stand for something rather than nothing; and let them be reported as such.

February 12, 2008 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  17. Randy - Denver

Jill I am glad you trust her, I for one do not

when I hire the employees for my company I look for the one I think can do the job, not the one who just says their competition has no experiance, I look for the one who shows enthusiasm for the job not one who expects to be handed the job because they say they ahve the resume, I look for one who can provide references (that I check) not just vague statements of experiance, I look for one with both style and substance not a wonk who will not work with others, I look for a Mr. Obama over a Ms. Clinton every time and have rarely been dissappointed

February 12, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  18. BITTER

Go Barack!!!

February 12, 2008 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  19. Joshua College Station Texas

Go Obama! Texas for Obama!

February 12, 2008 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  20. stan pitts pa

whites and blacks are voting for obama 80% – 85%, period! whites and blacks support him equally, afterall obama is really half-white/half-black! simple!

February 12, 2008 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  21. Brandon

Everyone always says the "Media" is out to get Hillary. How could every media outlet in america be against hillary? Is it possibly because she does so many questionable moves that they happen to report it and then they are against her. do you really think that if Barrack Obama did something or said something controversial that they none of them would report it. Please no matter who wins it's still about ratings.

February 12, 2008 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  22. Crystal

Maria: Thank you

I am bi-racial, being both Latino and African American, and Hillary Clinton has tried to play my people short. She is constantly trying to remind us what she has done for us. I guess if it hadn't of been for Hillary Clinton (according to her), we would have just perished. Oh what is us gon' do?

People from her own camp have already leaked the fact that Hillary has not been happy with Solis since before Super Tuesday. She had even created a divide in her camp, having some report to Patti and some to Maggi. This had to be a terrible blow to Patti's confidence and I don't blame her for quitting. Sure she will report that Patti is still working on her campaign just not to upset the Latinos.

Hillary will wipe her feet on anybody. Y'all better open your eyes.

February 12, 2008 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  23. George

Thank you CNN for deleting my post. I just posted a comment pro Obama and the comment is no where to be found. In summary, lets look beyond color and ethnicity and vote in who is best to unite the country . Clinton will say anything to get elected. These days she sounds more like Barack Obama than herself. We need a new face and a new attitude towards politics. Its time to have a president we are proud of and able to energize the country. Go Obama!

February 12, 2008 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  24. E. in Dallas, TX

Hey, guess who failed to report to the Senate to vote against giving telecom companies your private information? That's right-- Hillary Clinton. She was the only Senator that didn't show to vote against giving away your right to privacy.

Go Figure.

She was too busy pandering for Latino votes in South Texas.

February 12, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  25. serina

whoever the moderator for the upcoming cnn debate is should realize that we need to hear the candidates views of foreign matters.

February 12, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |