February 12th, 2008

Dems look to Texas

(CNN) –With an eye toward upcoming primary contests on March 4–including delegate-rich Texas– Sen. Barack Obama is appealing to lower-income Hispanic voters in a new Spanish-language radio ad released in the state Tuesday.

"Barack Obama is talking to me," says the announcer in Spanish. "He's faced many of the same challenges that we've faced in my family."

The sixty-second ad highlights Obama's "hard work" that helped him rise from humble beginnings and eventually attend Harvard Law School.

"And instead of accepting job offers that paid a lot of money, Obama decided to work with churches, giving a helping hand to those less fortunate in his community," the ad says.

Meanwhile, Sen. Hillary Clinton flew to El Paso for a campaign stop Tuesday as voters were still casting ballots in the Potomac primary.

In Texas, Clinton is counting on strong support from Hispanic voters, a group that has reliably turned out for her in the past. But after campaign manager Patti Solis Doyle - a Mexican-American - was ousted as campaign manager this weekend, some Hispanics are voicing objections.

"Hillary Clinton's campaign is in trouble and the highest-ranking Hispanic in her camp is paying the price," wrote the editorial staff of El Diario, a daily Spanish newspaper based in New York. "Clinton has worked hard for the Hispanic votes she has gained so far in this tight race, and it would be a mistake to risk alienating that base."

UPDATE: The Clinton campaign is releasing a radio advertisement aimed towards Hispanic voters in Texas that proclaims "Hillary is our friend,” and promotes the candidate's plan for universal health care.

"She respects our culture and understands the problems that affect our community," an announcer says in the thirty-second ad, which has been used to target Hispanics in previous primary contests. "Let's vote for Hillary…and we will have a better life."

- CNN Associate Producer Rachel Streitfeld

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Hillary Clinton • Texas
  1. hkitty

By the way, when is NM going to be settled. I mean, c'mon, it's been a week!

February 12, 2008 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  2. Mark

Why is there no memory of Whitewater and abuse of power from the first era of Clinton? I am not saying that Obama is the answer, and I am not saying that Clinton is not, but memories are selective. As selective as the pandering from state to state, leaving behind empty promises and shattered expectations.

February 12, 2008 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  3. Steven Pertusati

Hillary Rodham Clinton is indeed the most qualified candidate to become our next President. What will all the Obama supporters do when he fails miserably if elected, who will they turn to then? If Clinton is denied the nomination after the democrats turn their ungrateful backs on her for all she and her husband have done for them over the years, they deserve the failure they get out of Obama. I am a democrat who will be voting republican in November if Obama is the democratic nominee. I and many other Clinton supporters will not automatically vote for Obama as he and his supporters believe. Shame on all of you for deserting Clinton.

February 12, 2008 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  4. Michael Arnaud-Glen Burnie, Maryland

Elsa-So in other words, you're for a candidate who encourges people to break the law? If the illegals in this country want to become citizens, then do it thew legal way. Apply for it and wait your turn. Giving the cilhdren of illegals the chance to go to college in the US? If that is what Obama and even Clinton advocate, then this country truly is doomed. Don't worry, I firmly believe that McCain's amnesty idea is just a ploy to get the hispanic vote. God help the United States of America!

February 12, 2008 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  5. NOBAMA

Obama is a myth!

February 12, 2008 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  6. Tevin, Raleigh NC

I've seen plenty posts by Hispanics on here saying "we won't turn our backs on Hillary". That's ignorant. There's no doubt that for political gain she'd turn her back on you! You don't believe me? Just look at SC.

February 12, 2008 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  7. stan pitts pa

well i suppose the kind of candidate some people want is someone who will not release her tax receipts so the American people can see where she got the 5 million to loan her campaign, she says she will only release it after the campaign, whats she got to hide? she has been losing ground with african-Americans and so she fires her latino campaign manager and hires an african-American instead! well she cant be trusted to keep her hubby under control, she cannot be trusted to even run a half-decent campaign against a "junior senator" her managerial and communication skills are poor! well i urge all latinos/hispanics to join the obama campaign, its a campaign by Americans and funded by Americans!

February 12, 2008 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  8. Chris, Silicon Valley, CA, USA

Obama says "change" like Guiliani says "9/11".
    Can these guys hit more than 1 note?

February 12, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  9. josephine gardner

you can vote for obama but he not America he did not go to school in America i do not know anything about obama who is he and where did he come from. black is voting for obama because he is black that is no reason to vote for a candidate. if obama become president he going to fall on his face and he not going to get no support from the senator and congress.

go Hillary

February 12, 2008 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  10. Bobby

Hillary is not Bill. No one understand this

February 12, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  11. Thinker

you guys are going to feel real stupid when Barak wins Pennsyvnia, ohio, and possibly Texas. 🙂 Keep showing the world just how stupid Hillary Clinton voters are. lol Bill Clinton is the man though. No seriously, I know there are still alot of ignorant people on both side of the race demographic. But lets stop showing it...

Think.... for yourself.

February 12, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  12. LeeTX

Universal Health Care my foot...More like Universal Health Mandate!!

Health care for everyone sounds like a great idea, but not when it is mandatory...and especially not when you are going to get fined for not having it.

February 12, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  13. Steven

As a Latino in Texas, I am not swayed one bit by the Obama camp. Nor am I swayed by the votes coming our ot the Virginia, Maryland, DC primaries. In a small sample that I've taken from other Latinos, I don't see the Latino vote going to Obama. What's important to Latinos are REAL plans with REAL agendas on how to fix America's problems. All that we have heard from him in his speeches are nothing more than rhetoric and empty plans. That won't convince Latinos one bit. Believe me, Latinos, especially in Texas, know that Obama is not real. He WON'T win our vote!

February 12, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  14. Oregon Independent

Boo-hoo Billary

February 12, 2008 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  15. David Dallas TX

The Obamanians, Obamaniacs, the Obamedia, etc. are tripping me out. I am a young black male with a Phd and I will be voting for Hillary Clinton. Obama is all talk and no action. All he talks about is hope, change, and yes we can. Give me a break man. Im getting tired of hearing it. One of my friends came to me and told me to join the movement. I looked at him like he was crazy. He must have caught the Obama-Bug. If Obama is nominated, I will vote for McCain or not vote at all. Obama cannot win all of the states in the General Election that he won in the primaries. Those states that he won are mostly republican states. New York , Florida, Michigan, Texas, Ohio, and California will vote against Obama in the General Election. There is no way that he will win. Just keeping it real.

February 12, 2008 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  16. Jim Pear

Hillary was supposed to be @ work today voting in the senate – instead she was in Texas – why have a pres. that feels her personal agenda takes stage over her real job?

February 12, 2008 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  17. Dani

I am in Texas, from Texas, and can tell you I would never in a million years if someone paid me vote for Obama, never. The guy is so full of hype it is unreal. The so called movement he has started in my opinion will only further the economic landslide we already have and will inhibit any true resolution to the healthcare crisis our nation faces. That's not the kind of change I want. Hillary has my vote all the way. Obama is a preacher, not a leader who can really deliver on the change. He is all talk and will more than likely be little action judging from the way he votes "present." That serves to show his indecisive nature and lack of ability to deliver on making any real changes. He has never defined the changes he would make and never defined how he would deliver on his message of hope. My hope is that people will wake up and realize talk is cheap, mistakes are costly and we all pay the price in the end.

February 12, 2008 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |
  18. Latinlady

When will we latins learn??? I guess never huh. Was it Hitlary's people who led the pathway to the rights that we now have today? I think not. How quickly my people forget that we also benefitted from the efforts of the blacks marching and protesting during the civil rights movement. How come it seems that black organizations like the NAACP will include other minorities as well as blacks when it comes to fighting for equal rights. I have never in my latin life seen any of mi hermanas and hermanos include or mention black folks when it comes to us organizing for human rights, we selfishly concern ourselves with latino issues only, forgetting that blacks included all minorities in the plight for equal rights. Get it together latinos, know who you truly are and know who'll be on your side...it surely wont be white people. We owe the Clintons nothing!

Latinos for OBAMA!

February 12, 2008 06:32 pm at 6:32 pm |
  19. Hillary for President

David in Dallas TX, thank you for keeping it real. You are so right.

February 12, 2008 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |
  20. Carrie

Obama will win!

February 12, 2008 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  21. Fay Sims

Why are all these Hillary supporters making this into a race issue. When he wins a southern state it's always because the "black people" helped him win. Blacks are not just voting for him because he's black. We're way smarter than that. I'm black and before I decided to support him I watched him speak and studied up on the issues. Maybe, just maybe, african americans are thinking for themselves. He is truly trying to unite the races. White, black, asian, latino and everyone in between. For some reason, Hillary Clinton keeps trying to divide the races. Texans for Obama!!!

February 12, 2008 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  22. Fay Zeman

Hillary must point out Obama's weakness in not voting over 100 times as a
    Ill. State Rep. If you don't make a decision, you cant be wrong. What if he sits on his hands 20% of the time as president, God knows what he might get us into, or leave us vulnerable to. We need a person who is not afraid to make a decision.
    Hillary acted on intelligence given to her by those whose job it is to know, too bad the Republicans lied and she gets blamed for starting a war. What a Crock.

February 12, 2008 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  23. Sharon Ammons

I don't understand why Latino's think there vote is more important than anyone else. They have no chance of getting anything they want on immigration with the Republicans. If they want business as usual, then go ahead and vote for John McCain. The only real hope you have is to vote Democrat. You have two great candidates to choose from.

February 12, 2008 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  24. ramesh

It doesn't matter who gets the nomination, they both have republican blood. One of them a convert, the other was unaware until recently. So, the bottom line is we will have a republican president.

February 12, 2008 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  25. katey

Of course they are pandering to the large Latino vote. Why do you think they didn't do anything about illegal immagration? They are waiting until after the election.
    A fast growing voting block out there.
    Bill is out there now calling Hillary the underdog. Ha. Looking for sympathy again?
    Looks like Obama will get WI the 19th. hardly a black/latino state. Must be those educated white men again. ha.

February 12, 2008 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |