February 12th, 2008

Dems look to Texas

(CNN) –With an eye toward upcoming primary contests on March 4–including delegate-rich Texas– Sen. Barack Obama is appealing to lower-income Hispanic voters in a new Spanish-language radio ad released in the state Tuesday.

"Barack Obama is talking to me," says the announcer in Spanish. "He's faced many of the same challenges that we've faced in my family."

The sixty-second ad highlights Obama's "hard work" that helped him rise from humble beginnings and eventually attend Harvard Law School.

"And instead of accepting job offers that paid a lot of money, Obama decided to work with churches, giving a helping hand to those less fortunate in his community," the ad says.

Meanwhile, Sen. Hillary Clinton flew to El Paso for a campaign stop Tuesday as voters were still casting ballots in the Potomac primary.

In Texas, Clinton is counting on strong support from Hispanic voters, a group that has reliably turned out for her in the past. But after campaign manager Patti Solis Doyle - a Mexican-American - was ousted as campaign manager this weekend, some Hispanics are voicing objections.

"Hillary Clinton's campaign is in trouble and the highest-ranking Hispanic in her camp is paying the price," wrote the editorial staff of El Diario, a daily Spanish newspaper based in New York. "Clinton has worked hard for the Hispanic votes she has gained so far in this tight race, and it would be a mistake to risk alienating that base."

UPDATE: The Clinton campaign is releasing a radio advertisement aimed towards Hispanic voters in Texas that proclaims "Hillary is our friend,” and promotes the candidate's plan for universal health care.

"She respects our culture and understands the problems that affect our community," an announcer says in the thirty-second ad, which has been used to target Hispanics in previous primary contests. "Let's vote for Hillary…and we will have a better life."

- CNN Associate Producer Rachel Streitfeld

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Hillary Clinton • Texas
  1. Walt, Belton,TX

I'll vote in the Democratic primaries for Obama just in case John McCain doesn't win the Presidential election. That way I'm doing my part to make sure someone at least reasonable and not a Clinton will be in the White House. Another Clinton is inviting disaster.

February 12, 2008 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  2. Tico

The Hispanics in Chicago back Obama! Not because he is Black, but because Obama respects them AND has help them. The media talks of the Whites vs Blacks, the Blacks vs the Latino, and on and on and on. There are only TWO colors. People with the money, Green. And people without the money. Obama has fought for the people without the money.. and that is why he has earn the respect and votes from those of ALL colors without the money. Vaya Obama! Vaya Obama!

February 12, 2008 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  3. JohnS

This is one black man with a PhD and strong common sense that will NEVER vote for the Clintons again. I strongly believe that our leaders should bring us "moral" (not only economic) directives, interpersonal strength, and hope for this nation to move along with the rest of the world (and the global market)!!

February 12, 2008 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  4. htp

Nelson,
    You are right on the note. We do not need Saint Obama.

February 12, 2008 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  5. Robert

I may vote for the first republican since I started voting when Carter was president. If Obama wins, I'm going for McCain. Anyone that shows up for a vote and just votes present as Obama did as a State Legislature in mind is not doing their job. He ws elected to represent his constituents. He should have voted every time he was present for what was in his constituents best interest. His being present helped them none at all. VOtes are counted and decisions fall with the majority just being there and not casting one way or the other is as good as staying home and missing the vote.

February 12, 2008 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  6. Claud

Maybe the Latinos in Illinois are not real "Latinos" They voted for Obama!

February 12, 2008 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  7. emeka mbonu

Obama will certainly lose the election if he wins the nomination. He is all rhetoric and no substance. It is the Democrats loss if Hillary loses the nomination. The Clintons have been great for the country especially to blacks and hispanics. What do they get in return? a big sharp knife in the back.

February 12, 2008 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  8. CA boomer for CHANGE

Hey Latinos...
    I live in an area of CA that has one of the highest concentrations of Latinos. Latino issues are "American" issues...no one president can do anything specifically "for" you any more than Hillary being a white woman would translate into her doing anything "specifically" "for" white women like me. An American president is not a dictator or a monarch. Ms. Clinton had 8 years to effect the healthcare problems of this country...and even with her husband as president, was unsuccessful. "Divide and conquer" has been the mantra of the current administration...and we lost the election in 2000 and 2004. We are all Americans and will all do better together, when we are all UNITED! We have more in common than we have diifferences...each of us can advocate for the other.

That's Barack Obama's message and history poves it out. I haven't noticed him promising to better any one ethnic group's lot over another....and that is being "honest".... Do not let yourselves be used or your votes be taken for granted. There is power in numbers, and our numbers are greater when we unite together as Americans to affect CHANGE.

February 12, 2008 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  9. Jeremi

I agree with you,

Aware writer:

Not to put down the other candidate down because he is real good as well, but I think if Hillary looses her votes it will be a hack job like you said. Something else that I want to say is that votes are easier to hack now that it is done by personal computers and electronic machines. I trust and still like the old traditional way. That would be going in person and filling out the ballot for which a person wants to vote. There has been too many vote miscounts and computer networks failinng when a candidate is running for office. What do you all people think??

February 12, 2008 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |
  10. Miguel

Way to go CNN, play up the Solis thing as an issue – NOT!
    Solis is still part of the campaign as a senior advisor.
    How much has Obama paid you to endorse everything he does and says.

Gee and I thought yellow journalism and muck raking were something I read about in the history books under Hearst and Ida Tarbell!

Don;t be swayed by CNN and the other media trying to slant everything to Obama

Vote HIllary in08

February 12, 2008 07:03 pm at 7:03 pm |
  11. TJ WILLIAMS, Los Angeles, CA

GO OBama!!!

"Andrew February 12, 2008 3:57 pm ET
    Barack Obama went to the one of the oldest and most prestigious prep schools in the United States (Punahou School in Honolulu) before attending Occidental College and Columbia University.
    He is not from humble beginnings."

This is a silly statement. I am a single mother. My daughter went to Private School straight thru college. I have worked (many times 2 jobs) all my life and I drive a 15 year old car. I don't own a home and have made immeasureable sacrafices for my daughter's education. It's all I could give her. I am 55 and STILL working to give her a leg up so she won't have to go thru what I did. Until you do the same you should not question the honesty of someone's "humble beginnings". If someone met my daughter they would never know just how little she grew up with. That's the point! To have your child do better than you.

Find another way to try to slander Senator Obama...this one is just ignorant.

February 12, 2008 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  12. A True Democrat

what do you expect the candidates to do in an election race. both are doing what's normal. however, what's not normal is the phoneyness from all you bloggers, pretending to be who your not, bashing both candidates, it is pretty shameful. you need to concentrate on how best to get the democrates into and back to the white house. don't you think republicans read these blogs? i read theirs. they feed on this . vote for who you want, and don't cross party lines because you don't like the other. i am voting for hillary AND if obama wins i'll vote for him.

February 12, 2008 07:09 pm at 7:09 pm |
  13. Veronica Ward

Hillary didn't show up to vote? OH MY GOODNESS!!

How can she say that Obama only voted "Present" in the seante but then turn around and NOT VOTE AT ALL. All of the senators were in Washington, so that's no excuse. She had Bill there on the stump for her, so why couldn't she take the time out to vote?

She's a hypocrite!

GO OBAMA!

February 12, 2008 07:11 pm at 7:11 pm |
  14. Ryan, Los Angeles

I'm so sick of people that say the media is out to get Hillary.

Doesn't anyone remember that the Republicans call CNN (and still do) the Clinton News Network??

Our party has a wonderful dilemma – we have TWO GREAT CANDIDATES. I've already voted for my choice, but will support whoever wins the most "pledged" delegates.

February 12, 2008 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  15. andy

I have tried to Blog and CNN stops me ! why? because I support Hillary clinton and I speak the truth of Latinos and ho w they will vote in Texas ?Dang and who ever is putting the data up and saying Sen Obama is making huge in roads with latinos is so wrong ! and if your not latino do not say this and that we know are community and I wish CNN would have Latinos speaking for us and not whites and Black when the comment.

February 12, 2008 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  16. John

David from Dallas,

Thank you for putting it into words, I could not have said it better.
    I too am getting overwhelmed by the Obama-mania.

Yes, we can
    A movement
    Hope
    Change

I went on Obama's site, and the plans are very high level, with lots of inspiration and charisma, sounds nice but light on details. I am for Hillary as well, and think despite the daily "polls" – that she is the better, more prepared candidate at this time.

February 12, 2008 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  17. kwame

DAVID, I AGREE WITH YOU. . I MA ALSO A YOUNG BLACK MALE, CPA OF AFRICAN HERITAGE LIKE OBAMA. I WILL SAY THAT BARACK HUSSEIN OBAMA CANNOT WIN A GENERAL ELECTION IN THE US. A CANDIDATE WHO WILL GIVE DRIVERS LICENCES TO ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS WILL NOT WIN A GENERAL ELECTION. HE WILL LOSE IN NEW YORK STATE. MACCAIN WILL WIN NEW YORK

February 12, 2008 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |
  18. Disgusted

Hillary Clinton will do whatever it takes to win. I smell Saudi oil money just like with Bush. Don't bring this family back into the White House! The lobbyists will have her back in their pockets.

February 12, 2008 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |
  19. RRH

I am very hopeful Senator Clinton can win Texas, Ohio and Pennsylvania. Every time the media knocks her, people who see the unfairness will gravitate to her. I also think people under estimate Senator Clinton. The coverage has all but declared Obama the nominee. Hold on folks, we have a way to go before we corinate a winner.
    Texas is very republican territory and if Hillary can take a sizable chunk of votes, to her credit she may turn the red state blue again. I hope she pulls it off.

February 12, 2008 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  20. Mike from Austin, TX

To all of my fellow Latinos who insist on voting for Hillary because "she's done so much for us", I have one question: can you name some of those things?

I didn't think so.

Neither Hillary nor Barack are from humble beginnings, and they're both politicians. The choice boils down to who is more honorable and trustworthy, and if you think that person is a Clinton (either Bill or Hillary), you're fooling yourself.

Barack has his flaws, but I can't think of a single reason I should vote for Hillary over him. She's done little to nothing for African-Americans or Latinos, other than pay lip service to their concerns. And as her campaign has shown, she's a two-faced, ruthless career politician who's trying to form a political family dynasty, just like her husband. Barack's a relative newcomer, true, but I'll take my chances with him anyday over the Hillary I know.

February 12, 2008 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  21. Dennis Clark

To David Dallas TX. I'am a young black male with several degrees, from Tennessee so what. It's not about that. It's about someone who can unite people no matter what race, color, Religon. If you are so smart why not post something positive Hillary has done for all the people. Yes, I will vote for John McCain If Hillary is nominated she can't WIN!!! Do YOUR HOMEWORK!

February 12, 2008 07:28 pm at 7:28 pm |
  22. US Navy Vietnam Vet

To Senator Obama supporters.........please think of this:

I feel that the voters who look to Senator Obama for change are totally mislead....down the yellow brick road. He is a very good politician. I will give you an example: his healthcare proposal is with no change from what we have right now. We have millions with no insurance and we will continue to have millions with no insurance.

Too bad the voters over the weekend and today bought the hook, line, and sinker............Senator Obama does not represent change! He represents the same ol – same ol stuff with a different spin. It is how he got some of the Kennedys and Kerry.

Wake up America – Senator Obama sings a good line but he cannot deliver! We need Hillary Clinton for the White House! Not a pipe dreamer!

I would love to hear how Senator Obama's healthcare plan is different than what we now have here in the US. I have read his proposal on his site. Still shows millions uninsured and on the taxpayers dime. That is NOT CHANGE – it is more of the same with candy coated words.

Go with a leader who has proven time and time again to be strong, intelligent, and can beat the Republicans for the Democratic Party and all of us.

February 12, 2008 07:28 pm at 7:28 pm |
  23. janet

I don't know what planet your on. If Hillary wins the primary the republicans will rally against her. Republicans HATE Bill Clinton,personally I thought he was a good president but a horrible husband. They will drag up all the dirt on both of them again and republicans and independants will run from her. The animosity that exists between our parties right now is tearing this country apart....
    Obama promises change.What kind of change? The promise to work with republicans to resolve issues. HUGE CHANGE!Hillary stated in her last debate that if she was elected she would force republicans to work with her....Good luck with that. What kind of mess would we have in Washington between the republicans and the democrats in 2013?
    P.S.-three men I work with that have been staunch republicans are first time democratic voters for Obama.....think about it

February 12, 2008 07:30 pm at 7:30 pm |
  24. Lisa

It's just ashame that in a presidential election such as this people are behaving so petty,we owe this to our country as our patriacoly duty,this is should not be a black thing ,and all around the world I fell that it is,I'm very much black and I'm not voting for obama because he is I'm voting for hillary because she is much more qualified .

February 12, 2008 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  25. Benjamin

This country no longer cares about what is right and wrong, it cares about image and what is cool and what is not.

Continue making your decisions with anything else but your head and your reason.

Society has disappointed me, and the American experiment is becoming a failure at your own hands.

February 12, 2008 07:37 pm at 7:37 pm |