February 12th, 2008

Dems look to Texas

(CNN) –With an eye toward upcoming primary contests on March 4–including delegate-rich Texas– Sen. Barack Obama is appealing to lower-income Hispanic voters in a new Spanish-language radio ad released in the state Tuesday.

"Barack Obama is talking to me," says the announcer in Spanish. "He's faced many of the same challenges that we've faced in my family."

The sixty-second ad highlights Obama's "hard work" that helped him rise from humble beginnings and eventually attend Harvard Law School.

"And instead of accepting job offers that paid a lot of money, Obama decided to work with churches, giving a helping hand to those less fortunate in his community," the ad says.

Meanwhile, Sen. Hillary Clinton flew to El Paso for a campaign stop Tuesday as voters were still casting ballots in the Potomac primary.

In Texas, Clinton is counting on strong support from Hispanic voters, a group that has reliably turned out for her in the past. But after campaign manager Patti Solis Doyle - a Mexican-American - was ousted as campaign manager this weekend, some Hispanics are voicing objections.

"Hillary Clinton's campaign is in trouble and the highest-ranking Hispanic in her camp is paying the price," wrote the editorial staff of El Diario, a daily Spanish newspaper based in New York. "Clinton has worked hard for the Hispanic votes she has gained so far in this tight race, and it would be a mistake to risk alienating that base."

UPDATE: The Clinton campaign is releasing a radio advertisement aimed towards Hispanic voters in Texas that proclaims "Hillary is our friend,” and promotes the candidate's plan for universal health care.

"She respects our culture and understands the problems that affect our community," an announcer says in the thirty-second ad, which has been used to target Hispanics in previous primary contests. "Let's vote for Hillary…and we will have a better life."

- CNN Associate Producer Rachel Streitfeld

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Hillary Clinton • Texas
  1. Michael Wilson

If you have to be a citizen to vote and you have to speak English to be a citizen, why are there signs in Spanish at election sites and on radio stations? I have also seen signs in Spanish directing "citizens" where to vote, such as "Vota Aqui"!!

February 12, 2008 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  2. Mary

DUMP OBAMA IN MARCH. It's up to you Texas, Ohio and Pennsylvania. We don't need a salesman as the nominee, someone who has to exploit Clinton's political history to define his own. Someone who has to rely on race to get elected, someone who packages himself as the new and improved brand of politician by hyping change. This is a leader? Sounds more like an advertisment.

February 12, 2008 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |
  3. Nancy in WA

Chris writes:
    If he doesn't have a teleprompter and a Kennedy speechwriter, he falls flat. How come the Obama-loving MSM doesn't show clips of that? Hmmmm.

Chris i could not agree with you more. I have said that when you watch him talk he stands in front of a podium most of the time like he is reading off a teleprompter. I don't think he looks approchable when he stands in front of a podium like he can't be touched and does not want to be out with the people, like just listen to me don't get too close.

February 12, 2008 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |
  4. Tony

It was a good race but now is the time for al Dem to come together and get Obama in the white house yes we can\Obama 08

February 12, 2008 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |
  5. Sherri

Ask Harold Ford what happens when up against a republican? Go Hillary!

February 12, 2008 07:48 pm at 7:48 pm |
  6. Nancy in WA

Jerome writes:
    Black people are voting for Obama because he is black. "

Yet another false accusation. When this race started Barack was clearly way behind in the African American community with support and Hillary way ahead.

Since then Barack has be able to get his message out and has earn the African American support.
    But what do I know? I’m just a mindless African American that supported Hillary Clinton.

Jerome Obama was behind because the blacks did not think that he could win that is why he was behind and the TV networks news media put him on a pedestal because he was black and they did not like the Clintons and when Obama first came out that he was running then why did the black populas say that he was not black enough?

February 12, 2008 07:48 pm at 7:48 pm |
  7. Johnny

It is not a fair race for a lady , all the stet Obama win is majority of African-American, I feel sad about it

February 12, 2008 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  8. John, CO

I've gotta side with Brandy on this one.

Let's be honest here.

Black voters are with Obama because he is black.

Latino voters are with Clinton because she is not.

White men are with Obama because he is a man.

White women are with Clinton because she is a woman.

February 12, 2008 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  9. Mitchell Huckabee

YES YOU CAN make a difference! GO VOTE!

February 12, 2008 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  10. War Eagle

The idea that demographics such as race and gender determines which candidate to vote for will do nothing but divide the democratic party. I urge people to vote based on their own personal beliefs rather than how they are expected to vote. A divided party will give the republicans a leg up, no matter who gets the nomination.

February 12, 2008 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  11. Hillary All the Way

David in Dallas, thank you, really refreshing to hear. I'm a white male and a business owner. I am wholeheartedly with you. You just took the words right out of mouth. Hillary has a proven record of success just like Bill does. She is ready to lead, knows exactly what she is talking about and why, she has the depth Obama seriously lacks. When Hillary talks, in comparison, she actually has a solid plan on every issue. I am so very tired of hearing Obama give his rah rah cheerleader speech with no real plan of action to seriously actually do anything. I also do not trust him with the way he has lied about his 17 year relationship with Rezko the slum landlord.of Chicago. What we are seeing is a slick lawyer lay down his case with alot of colorful words and in his very own twisted ideology "saying and doing anything to get elected" Obama is the one doing that. I would not vote for him either if he were to win, not now that I have seen how he operates, as a Democrat I am beyond insulted over what he has done to smear the Clinton legacy too, comapring them to the Bush years of "the past" ? No, Obama crossed the line with me on that one and everyone I know, who will all be voting for Hillary.

Hillary All the Way Texas!!

February 12, 2008 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  12. TexasMom

David in Dallas Tx,

If indeed you ARE a black male, which I seriously doubt, I hope that you can have the AUDACITY TO HOPE that someone like you can lead the nation. We are living in a multicultural world.
    If Obama were white, Asian or Hispanic I would still vote for him. It is not about his race , but his message.

February 12, 2008 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  13. Donna, Antioch TN

I am totally disappointed in the women of this country. Don't they know that we need them to step up and help elect HRC. The blacks are supporting BO and I find that wonderful. Women never cease to amaze me. They forget the struggle that we have been through. I remember it all. Do a little research before you decide not to vote for HRC. She is a wonderful example of how far we women have come.

February 12, 2008 08:11 pm at 8:11 pm |
  14. Paul

I read a quote from Patti Solis Doyle, and she said basically it was her decision to step down and that she is going to still be on the campaign with Hillary Clinton and be an advisor. Please, report the whole story, not just what you want people to read.

February 12, 2008 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  15. Pagewinner

Clinton i old school, we need new school

February 12, 2008 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  16. Ryan from New Mexico

lol so what do these Ultra-Liberal wackos who are voting for Obama, dont they realize lol the people who the Democratic party need to help are Moderates like me???

Great if Obama wins it'll ensure a Republican Victory

THANKS YOU LIBERALS, YOU HIGH JACKED THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY AND AMERICA IS GOING TO SUFFER FOR IT

February 12, 2008 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  17. Drose

Hillary the Hope of 08- NOT!!!!

It's amazing that she didn't even try to run for the Senate is her own home state. She knew that they knew her much to well. Hillary cares about the Hispanics all the way to the voting booth. Not a step further. You've got to be stupid or niave to think that Patti Solis Doyle stepped down on her own. All the analysts around the country know that she got fired. The only reason she is still on the campaign is that there would be such a back lash from the Hispanic voters in Texas that Hillary would have to get a ladder just to climb up to see daylight. Wake up AWARE and be aware that you're riding on a DEAD horse.

February 12, 2008 08:19 pm at 8:19 pm |
  18. Gail

Now who is playing the race card? CNN can try to alientate the hispanic vote from Hillary, and nary a sound about it. Come on, Texas! Let's get behind the person who really cares. I'm tired of overdone generalizations. Here is a woman who has devoted her life to children, health care for everyone, and the betterment of this country.

February 12, 2008 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |
  19. Gail

I can get inspired at Church. I want leadership and the ABILITY to get things done. My vote is for Hillary.

February 12, 2008 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  20. dallas resident

mayne yall need to chill wit all this clinton winnin in da lonestar state. yall got us messed up on da real. dallas is tx obama takin over thew souf ya heard

February 12, 2008 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  21. CHERYL

OBAMA WAS NOT THERE FOR OVER 100 VOTES!

SO HE SHOWED UP TODAY BIG DEAL!

THAT WILL NOT MAKE HIM A WINNER!

REPUBLICANS WILL RUIN HIM!

BUT THEY CANNOT DO IT TO HILLARY! SHE IS TOO TOUGH!

WE'LL SEE WHAT HAPPENS!!!!!!!!

February 12, 2008 08:33 pm at 8:33 pm |
  22. RJB2

Just a little observation.

Both Hillary and Obama talk about bring people together for change

Well...what I see is this...

Obama is getting votes from Dems, Indies and moderate republicans

Hillary just said that the States Obama won she does not care about
    States that she said that normally will not go to the Dems
    This may have been true but Obama is getting their support now
    Obama said he is to reach across the aisle, and he is doing it
    Whereas Hillary is alienating, ignoring and disregarding
    Hillary is showing what so many people say about her that she is very divisive

So who is walking the walk...And who is just talking

It is plain to see to me...and to everyone...I hope

February 12, 2008 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |
  23. Pia

It's now time for Hillary Clinton to step aside. Go home Hillary!

February 12, 2008 08:39 pm at 8:39 pm |
  24. LATINA in NJ

I am reading all these comments and NOT once has anyone said what Hillary has done for the Latino community. One Latino says Hillary is wonderful, the next says she has done so much.

CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT HILLARY HAS DONE FOR ME?

Obama plans on giving a $4000 tution incentive to every college student that gives back to the community. I AM SO IN!!!!!!!! Now that is giving back to the hispanic community. Check out The Census and the number of hispanics that have anything higher than a Bachelor's Degree.....we should be ashamed of ourselves!

VOTE OBAMA HE WILL HELP US HISPANICS AND EVERY COLLEGE STUDENT GET THE EDUCATION WE NEED TO BE LEADERS IN OUR COMMUNITIES LIKE HIM.

February 12, 2008 08:41 pm at 8:41 pm |
  25. Ruth Willis

I am voting for Hillary, she is honest about the condition of our country. It takes
    more than a president to make the changes, that are needed, a president is only as successful as the support they get from the senate and the legislature. Barak Obama, I believe is a good man, I believe that change can be
    good, but what is he wanting to change?
    I am voting for Hillary, I believe she can lead us in the direction we need to go.

February 12, 2008 08:48 pm at 8:48 pm |