February 12th, 2008

Exit Polls: Evangelicals rallying around Huckabee

Evangelical voters reportedly account for over 40 percent of the electorate.

Evangelical voters reportedly account for over 40 percent of the electorate.

(CNN) - Evangelicals in Virginia are voting heavily for Mike Huckabee, a key reason the former Arkansas governor remains in a competitive race there with likely GOP nominee John McCain.

According to exit polls, evangelical voters make up more than 40 percent of the electorate and are breaking for Huckabee in the Republican primary by nearly 3 to 1 over McCain - a sign social conservatives remain hesitant to back McCain's candidacy, even as he is all but certain to win his party's nomination.

In another sign Huckabee continues to draw values voters, the Arkansas Republican is leading McCain nearly 3 to 1 among those voters who say their top priority is a president who shares their values

- CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Exit Polls
  1. mb

You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new (East). You know... morons. -Blazing Saddles

February 12, 2008 07:38 pm at 7:38 pm |
  2. Bill

Aren't Huckabee's religious supporters the same people who believe the cavemen rode dinosaurs to work?

February 12, 2008 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  3. Julie

I am thrilled that Mike Huckabee understands how important it is to allow every US citizen the opportunity to to vote for the candidate of their choice in their party, whether that candidate is leading in the polls or not. The presidential primaries occur once every four years. I wish Mitt Romney had stayed in the race long enough for every citizen to cast their vote for or against. I just want to be heard, no matter how small my voice.

February 12, 2008 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  4. Bill H

Well Hallelujah and amen! Ride on Dark Horse!!! What's wrong with being RIGHT all the time? Folks if you have not heard Mike speak to CPAC you really need to listen to it...you will conclude that he is indeed a genuine conservative and that despite Talk Radio at first endorsing the likes of Guliani and then Romney...ouch, and pretty soon McCain...ouch.

February 12, 2008 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  5. ab

What is this guy still doing in the race?

February 12, 2008 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  6. Jose

He is smart man...

February 12, 2008 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  7. Brandon Brown

Funny,
    I'm in my second year of college, and I believe almost every dogma of the church. And I'm not a moron. I'm a physics major.

February 12, 2008 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  8. Doug

Congratulations to Mike for fighting for his cause. He obviously represents Republicans who do not like McCain's positions as much.

February 12, 2008 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  9. Steve, Lyons, CO

I hope Huckabee keeps winning a becomes V.P. for McCain.

It's time this country directly debated the role of religious myths before we have a civil war. I'm fed up with religious superstition screwing up science and our intelligence.

February 12, 2008 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  10. sam b

what do your dogmatic beliefs in the church have to do with electing a President? we're not electing a Pastor-in-Chief.

Also, where does McCain differ in these beliefs that Huckabee does not?

McCain is pro-life and for the rights of man everywhere. No Guantanamo, no torture. The only wrinkle that McCain has is his support for funding for current embryonic stem cell lines. he is against creating anymore. He feels it would be a waste just to throw away these valuable cells despite the immoral way in which they were brought about.

February 12, 2008 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |
  11. John, CO

Huckabee's just burning money by staying in this thing.

I'd call the people voting for him crazy for thinking he has a chance of winning, but compared to some of the other things they believe, this is relatively normal.

It's probably just a "protest vote" anyway.

February 12, 2008 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  12. Frankie C

Lets make our vote REALLY count and not vote for most "popular". Huckabee way to stay in race and fight for what is right.

February 12, 2008 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  13. Mike

I second Brandon's statement, and I'm an electrical engineering graduate (with honor). Do your research Bill, and you will actually find out how stupid evolution looks when put under the microscope.

February 12, 2008 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  14. Chris, Silicon Valley, CA, USA

Huckabee has not said one thing that implies he wants to impose his religious views on anyone. He couldn't, anyway. All this "religious zealot" talk is just fear-mongering.

McCain-Huckabee '08!

February 12, 2008 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  15. Bill

Brandon, most scientists who have actually finished their schooling don't believe the dogmas of the church. However the point is, what many of us who are non-believers object to, is the imposition of religion on the political process. Any candidate who has to court large religious groups and kow-tow to their belief systems, is not going to do a good job of representing the rest of us e.g. W with his faith based initiatives, or his blocking of stem cell research, or sticking his nose into what should be between a woman and her doctor.

February 12, 2008 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  16. Hillphil

I voted for Huckabee but looks like in november I will vote against McCain
    Go Democrats!!!!

February 12, 2008 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  17. Jaena from Boston

I'm a Obama fan but I gotta say I like this guy. Keep him in the race. It might make the Obama v. McCain race interesting. Just hope I don't regret this post 🙂

February 12, 2008 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  18. irony

but if we all vote for Huckabee, doesn't he then become the most "popular"? So then we would have to vote for someone else. Politics is so confusing.

February 12, 2008 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  19. Dee

I believe as do many folks that Mike Huckabee is the conservative choice of many Americans. I believe that it just may take someone like Mike to put America back on track. Go Mike Go.

February 12, 2008 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |
  20. California Independent

Yeah for Huckabee!

February 12, 2008 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  21. Tim

I do not mind if people don't agree with those of us who choose to vote for Mike Huckabee. What bothers me is when they choose to denigrate our beliefs and refer to us as being nothing more than morons and crazy. If we have reached the point that people cannot vote for who they wish, then our entire system of choosing those who represent us has ceased to exist. And yes, I will vote for John McCain in the general election, as I feel his values would more closely align with mine than those of the Democratic nominee.

February 12, 2008 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |
  22. shane

Jose he doesn't believe in Evolution..how is that smart

February 12, 2008 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  23. shane

Individuals that want to stop teaching science shouldn't have a chance to be President.

February 12, 2008 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  24. joe

He's more of a Republican than McCain. If you more experience is the determining factor just think of this...Dick Cheney has more experience than most people and can you imagine that nightmare scenario.

February 12, 2008 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  25. Jim from SC

Governor Mike Huckabee from Hope Arkansas; keep hope alive, nobody ever lost sleep from dreaming about prosperity.

Had Fred Thompson removed himself before the SC Primary, it would be Governor Huckabee in the lead instead of McCain. McCain took the South Carolina momentum into Florida and Thompson fled because his sole purpose was to ride shotgun for McCain. By this political atrocity, both of these “legislators” did their Country a disservice. Mike Huckabee is the best man for the job without a doubt, he has the vision necessary and speaks with clarity that I haven't seen in decades. I hope that the rest of the Nation understands the consequences of sending the status quo back to Washington.

The reason that “change” is sweeping the country is because Americans already have all the experience needed and required. Lest we forget, experience has us in the current predicament. As citizens, we have the experience of balancing a budget, the loss of jobs through unfair trade guidelines and illegal aliens, the increased price of gas while oil companies enjoy record profits, the cost of goods and services, health care costs, witnessing a war and seeing life and Liberty spilled on foreign soil without cause. We as a Nation have lived with this kind of experience long enough. Don’t underestimate the American resolve, in this election, the status quo is just not good enough.

The nominee should be a candidate who wants to "alter" the course of direction that the current administration has taken us, it will be a candidate who is determined to thwart the efforts of special interests in Washington focusing instead on the interests of those he serves. Someone who places people above politics. Someone with intelligence and wisdom, honor and integrity, strength and morality, one who will bring about a level of prosperity that this nation has never seen and a vision that is recognized by the world as exemplary. A candidate who understands that when you sling mud, you always lose ground. One, who is more focused on the issues than insulting their respective opponents. That is the only candidate that will earn and receive my vote. I hope to vote for my candidate this year!

America, vote your conscience, it's the only chance to get our Country back. Mike Huckabee is my choice and after voting on the Democratic “Presidential” ticket for 32 years, he is a candidate that can bring a Nation together. He also gives the Country a new face in Washington with fresh ideas and a zeal that places people above politics regardless of race, gender, religion or political affiliation. The Democrats understand the total validity of the campaign and realize that the Republicans will be lose in November unless they get behind an honest contender. By lose, I mean more than just the Presidential race.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!"
    Benjamin Franklin