February 12th, 2008

Strong early turnout as 'Potomac Primaries' begin

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/2008/images/02/12/art.voting.ap.jpg caption="Marilyn Hart casts her ballot in the primary election at the Ray of Hope Baptist Church, Tuesday."]WASHINGTON (CNN) - Business was brisk at polling places in Virginia and Maryland Tuesday where primaries could answer key questions in the Democratic and Republican nomination races.

The District of Columbia voters are also participating in the so-called "Potomac primaries" - named for the river that separates Virginia and Maryland and flows past the nation's capital, Washington.

At stake in the primaries are 238 Democratic delegates and 119 total GOP delegates. Polls in Maryland and the District of Columbia close at 8 p.m. and in Virginia at 7 p.m.

In Maryland, turnout was anticipated to be about 40 percent, which is above normal according to Ross Goldstein, deputy administrator for the state's Board of Elections.

Full story

Filed under: Maryland • Virginia
  1. U.S. Army Vet

To MW:
    Good Point and I had to copy and repost your statement of fact.

We have listened to Hillary Clinton's message and it is an old and outdated message. It is the message of failure and corruption. It is the message of divisiveness and discord. It is a message of false arguments and misinformation. Hillary and Bill had their say. Now it is time for Obama to have his say. Obama in 08!

February 12, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  2. Nick

Hillary is an idiot and so are her mindless supporters.

February 12, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  3. Suzette

Go Obama, we don't need a woman to win. If Clinton wins we might as well keep Bush.....and if she wins I will vote Republican. We need change in this Country and Obama can do it.......I have faith in him. He is smart and he knows what he is doing all Clinton wants is the power and glory. People need to wake up and see what is going on with our country we are loosing it to corupt leaders and foreigners. And all we Americans do is just sit and watch things go by well we need to take a stand. VOTE OBAMA! ! !!!!!!!!!!

February 12, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  4. blue boy

Please vote for Barack Obama and write to Al Gore asking him to consider being vice-president again. Thank you so much.

February 12, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  5. Josh

I had to wait 2 hrs and 15 minutes at my precinct in Arlington. Miserable. But hopefully worth it.

February 12, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  6. MediaJunkie, Arlington, VA

Majority Rule Moral Rule, I don't know where you got your info, but I was required to show ID today.

February 12, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  7. deanne

What's with the article header, "Without Superdelegates Clinton trails"?
    Those superdelegates Are included in the count, so therefore Clinton LEADS. Stop with the spin! I am losing faith in All media with this biased election coverage.

February 12, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  8. Niki B. from

I hope that people vote on the subtance of the canidate and not the likability of one! We need someone who will fight for us! Say what you want about the Clintons but let's keep it real folks they were the little man's voice when no one else was! ACCOUNTABILITY and SUBSTANCE are the words people and with out those quailites you can't run a counrty. Obama is a glorified "rock star" who reels his voters in with alot of hype. I want to her where you stand on the issues any one can give a good speech put your money where your mouth is......

February 12, 2008 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  9. Lovely in Va

Just voted. Not one single sign, banner, sticker, pollsters, etc. anywhere with the name Clinton on it. Obama everywhere!! Don't believe me?? Go to 310 S Franklin street in Christiansburg and see for yourself. I, of course, had on my big ole OBAMA earrings so everyone knows how educated and trustworthy I am!!

February 12, 2008 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  10. MAT

I cast the first vote this morning in my precinct proudly for Obama. I'm female and not black. This country needs change. I will not, however, say anything negative about Hillary. If she is the Democratic candidate, I will gladly get her my vote in November. We need change and the Democrats can provide that. This country needs to be going a different direction that it's had the last 7 years. There is so much negativity about our country in Europe but all I needed to say was, "I didn't vote for Bush" to get positive vibes again. We can and will get our country's respect back worldwide with a Democratic win this fall.

February 12, 2008 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  11. Niki B. from SC

I hope that people vote on the subtance of the canidate and not the likability of one! We need someone who will fight for us! Say what you want about the Clintons but let's keep it real folks they were the little man's voice when no one else was! ACCOUNTABILITY and SUBSTANCE are the words people and with out those quailites you can't run a counrty. Obama is a glorified "rock star" who reels his voters in with alot of hype. I want to where you stand on the issues; any one can give a good speech put your money where your mouth is......

February 12, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  12. Mr. Mind

What she is saying and it makes lots of sense, most of the state Obama is winning are the red states and there is a chance of 1 in a miilion will vote Dem in November.

February 12, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  13. Bill

Im a registered republican from Pa and just today switched my affiliation to the democratic party so i can support the one person who will actually fix this mess when the primaries come to PA .

The Clintons will spin this loss in their typical fashion. Don't believe it. Billary had their moment. Its time for a new generation of leadership. Vote Obama!!!!

February 12, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  14. clay

I tried voting this morning at my precinct in Fairfax, Va but the line was over 40 minutes long, so I left. I will try to get back before the polls close, but I doubt I will be able to make it.

February 12, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  15. Jon

I just got back from voting with my family 4 votes for Obama!!!

February 12, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  16. patty

How can you think Hillary is going to fight for us?
    Hillary only cares about Hillary and being the
    first woman president.
    Vote for Obama!

February 12, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  17. Leo

Thank you Jacques Casimir for the detailed info regarding the Texas primaries. I think a key here is that unlike California, Obama will have plenty of time to continue an aggressive campaign throughout the state of Texas (Texas is BIG). The more people get to know Obama the better he is doing. The more people get to know Hillary, at least so far, she appears to do worse and worse. I'm not sure why that is. Maybe things will change for her. I give her credit for remaining very cool 'under the lights'. I sure wouldn't have wanted to be anywhere near her behind the scenes after what happened this past weekend. She is hurting bad and will not admit it but needs a big win tonight. Lets wait and see ........ 🙂

February 12, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  18. Jill

Hillary, is our best and only choice for President. Obama is all talk. What has he done for his own state and our country?If he was against the War why wasn't his voice HEARD. I never heard him protest in the media. He is a wait to see kind of guy. He is a motivational speaker but what else.? Again the American people are persuaded to vote for change. His message if there is one is that WE the People will have to change. AT What cost??? Wake up AMERICA. Lets not be fooled again. He will not be ready!!!! He needs more experience. Who is working with Washington INSIDERS NOW!!! Let me see OBAMA.
    Lets get real HILLARY is the real thing!!!!

February 12, 2008 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  19. C.E., Minnesota

I just read on Msnbc that there is a 21 year old superdelegate that has never voted in a Presidential Election. WHAT KIND OF SCAM IS THIS. I thinke the poeple should decide, not the washington insiders.

February 12, 2008 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  20. Lauren

I would love for someone too tell me why they want too vote for Barak Obama.... Why? What proof does he have on foreign policies, war, etc... So what he is a Sen.. But he doesn't know what he is doing.. He has his backing through MOney Makers... If he didn't have them, he wouldn't be able too travel like he has.. and he would be where... no where... which he is gonna be... because he is not worthy of the position....

February 12, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  21. U.S. Army Vet

TO WOMEN VOTERS:
    Hillary's message is a message that diminishes you. It implies that if you are not born with the blessings of wealth that she has had then you are not good enough to every aspire to anything meaningful in this country.

TURE FACTS:
    More to the point, Hillary has overstated her resume. she has never helt a political office until she moved to New York became a Senator. Obama has been a political activist, state senator, and a US senator. He has more experience than Hillary and he has been elected to more political offices than Hillary.

February 12, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  22. Colleen Witt

I am a woman and would love nothing more than for one day this country to have a woman president, BUT not because she is a woman (that would be incredibly sexist), because she was the best possible candidate. Obama is truly a once in a generation candidate. In my home lives my Republican father and my 16 year old daughter. They are BOTH out campaigning for Obama. It this intense hope and enthusiasm that has compelled me to write a comment for the first time ever, to go to the next Obama campaign meeting, and to pledge a monthly amount toward electing this incredible, historical figure. Please, to all independent and even disillusioned Republicans, vote Obama and join this historical movement.

February 12, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  23. Barney, Long Island

If you have a bad leak in your plumbing, a big leak in your roof or need radical surgery, who do you want to work for you? A novice or an experienced professional. You should be picking an experienced nominee to work on the serious world problems facing our nation. Don't cry about what is about to happen if Obama makes it. We are doomed!!!

February 12, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  24. hj

Vote for Hillary. She is a better candidate than the talker.
    We learned that lesson from Bush. No more Mistakes!!

February 12, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  25. cindy

everyone please give Hillary your vote, Obama is all about sweet talk the question is can he deliver, don't trust him.

February 12, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |