February 12th, 2008

Strong early turnout as 'Potomac Primaries' begin

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/2008/images/02/12/art.voting.ap.jpg caption="Marilyn Hart casts her ballot in the primary election at the Ray of Hope Baptist Church, Tuesday."]WASHINGTON (CNN) - Business was brisk at polling places in Virginia and Maryland Tuesday where primaries could answer key questions in the Democratic and Republican nomination races.

The District of Columbia voters are also participating in the so-called "Potomac primaries" - named for the river that separates Virginia and Maryland and flows past the nation's capital, Washington.

At stake in the primaries are 238 Democratic delegates and 119 total GOP delegates. Polls in Maryland and the District of Columbia close at 8 p.m. and in Virginia at 7 p.m.

In Maryland, turnout was anticipated to be about 40 percent, which is above normal according to Ross Goldstein, deputy administrator for the state's Board of Elections.

Full story

Filed under: Maryland • Virginia
  1. MARYLOU JONES

HILLARY CLINTON FOR PRESIDENT! NO FLOWERY PREACHING! NO RAP MUSIC VIDEOS! JUST STRONG CONVICTION AND EXPERIENCE TO LEAD THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA! VOTE HILLARY CLINTON!

February 12, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  2. Jenny

I am an Obama supporter and I urge all Obama supporters to STAY POSITIVE. That's that Obama wants from his supporters. Independents are reading these comments and it's very important that we do not lose sight of how important it is, as supporters, to not demonize the other candidates. We are the change too. Go OBAMA 08

February 12, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  3. MARYLOU JONES

February 12, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  4. Eli

If you are a true DEMOCRAT I would hope you can see how divided we are as a party. Just look at these blogs and comment, bickering about who we think is better, the truth of the matter is both Hillary and Obama have had record turnouts on both sides. True some states are more Obama and some or more Hillary but if you count they are high turnouts for both all the way around. Why can we not truely UNITE and bring this party together with both of their names on one ticket to win this fall. If you say Obama would never be her VP then it shows his cocky attitude and that his message of UNITY, CHANGE AND HOPE was a crock. If you say Hillary would not be his VP then you are saying that she was never for trying to help the people of the US and health reforms. I think both of these people would be the others VP, I think Hillary would ask Obama but I think Obama would not ask Hillary because he thinks he can make it on his own because Kerry and Kennedy is pushing him, I think he would be greatly mistaken. THE MAIN THING IS WE HAVE TO UNITE AND STOP THIS. If we do not John McCain will be the next President.

February 12, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  5. Dixie

This is for Amy

Obama and Edwards were not on the ballot in Florida. It was a computer error.

I just finished working here in Idaho where 81% of mostly white Idahoans caucused for Obama.

Don't tell me that my state doesn't count.

No one even darkened the doors to campaign in Idaho, but Senator Obama who drew over 14, 000 plus 2-4, 000 turned away.

I have independents and Obamacans voting for him in our huge turn out.

Hillary didn't even open an office or take notice of Idahoans.

I think that Bill was a good president in ways, but don't forget the no NAFTA promises, Hillary and Bill are part of the old ways.

Let's do things better and leave crooked politics and deals behind.

Elect someone who can bring us together across party lines.

See the article in Christianity Today for insights into a insightful and Christian man
    who can lead us out of this partisan mess.

February 12, 2008 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  6. Drake

Bottom Line we want Hillary!

February 12, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  7. ANTI OBAMAS !!!! Joe !!!!

You wrong. Most Hillary's supporters are high educated and hard working people !!!!!!
    Master degree in PE votes for Hillary !!!!!!

February 12, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  8. Irene Glezos

The Bush-Clinton dynasty??? Oh come on - you can't just clump all people in the establishment together as devils. What does Hillary have to do with Bush? That's so moronic. Remember, Obama voters - if he won, he would then become part of the establishment you all rail against - while being pleased as punch when the establishment validates him - i.e. Ted Kennedy et al!

I'm for Clinton and proud of it. She doesn't just ORATE change. She makes it. And as she said, she will not be knocked out of the ring.

Hang in there Hillary.

February 12, 2008 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  9. Bob

I live in Montgomery County, Maryland (just north of Washington, DC). There was almost no one at my polling place when I voted this morning. Several friends reported the same situation at their polling places. I hope that the Obama supporters didn't become too complacent from his recent string of victories and the predictions of a sweep in the Potomac (Beltway) Primaries. Remember, there are still about 3 hours left to vote in Maryland. I urge everyone in the Free State to do so.

February 12, 2008 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  10. I'm Barack Obama and I approved this message

I was against the war from the start, even though I didn't really have to vote for it. But, I don't belive in my values all too much because I have voted to fund the war every time it came up. Now thats what I call change. This is a man with no moral principals whatsoever. He is a moron just like the rest of our politicians. Change this, hope that, of the future, not of the past. Politics is politics my friends, doesn't matter if they are new or old, it's still much of the same. Last I looked 2+2=4, just as did 40 years ago when i was in the 1st grade.

February 12, 2008 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  11. Jessie

Go Hillary!!!!!!!!!!!!You are the best.

February 12, 2008 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  12. pcs/ North Carolina

Colleen Witt
    You are doing the right thing. He is phenomenal. He is a true leader , getting up this much of support, financial contributions and above all the organizational skills to thwart the well oiled Clinton machine.

February 12, 2008 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  13. Obama takes Virginia

LeeAnn – Obama supporters don't give a rat's butt about the Clinton's. We stand for what he stands for – a change in politics. This is not a game to us, we are through with all that. Unfortunately, it seems to be brought up over and over by the Clinton machine that 'I'm better than him, na na nana na'. We're over you all and the Clinton's. We're on the victory train – the Change Express!!

Oh Yes WE Can!

February 12, 2008 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  14. VEY GAMACHE

I am fromCanada .I have been watching your primeries , because not only will the Americans be affected so will the world espeacialy Canada. My feelings and thoughts tell that to elect Hilery sould just be more of the same.She owes too many people who financed her run. Lobbyists whould have a field day. So between them ane Bill it wouldn' t be her running the country.
    Where as Obama is a new face that will be facing the world and he seens more than willing to talk to all of the leaders of the world in order to solve our problems.How would anyone feel if someone went through four or five people to approach you about something so important as the fate of our world.Deplomacy is important and should not be trusted to second in command, He also shows real concern for the American people rich or poor What more a country ask for
    So I say give the man a chanch I don't think that you will be disappointed.

Respectly Vey

m

February 12, 2008 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  15. Mani from New Jersey

The only people talking about race is the media and the Obama campaign. Get it right. His campaign always know when not to worry and that's when their is a high population of African Americans. Hillary is not stupid. Funny how her supporters are hard-working Americans that have jobs where they can't leave to caucus. So who are his supporters again?

February 12, 2008 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  16. Amsterdam

Barrack Obama is your President

February 12, 2008 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  17. Michael

Hillary Clinton will only lose these states: Virginia, Washington DC, and Maryland because of the black vote. It is a shame, because Obama will get this vote without any scrutinization. Why doesn't the media talk more about this disparity, only because Obama is black? Isn't this a form of racism? Why isn't anyone challenging this? I haven;t heard any international policy questions directed to Obama in any debate. Nor have anyone pressed Obama on the specifics of his alleged economic plan. Doesn't details matter anymore, or are people more well off than we realized? This country does not need a President who will be experiencing growing pains with a country needing immediate attention to many problems. Wake up people. McCain is too old, and Obama has no experience.
    Huckabee – separation of church and state.

Hillary for President! Because it makes sense.

February 12, 2008 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  18. cc

The Red state of Texas, and often red Ohio are all the sudden holding more weight than the red states Obama has won.

Funny how things are spun.

February 12, 2008 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  19. cheryl

People Please Think, If Hillary Wins She will become Vice President and bill
    Clinton President

February 12, 2008 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  20. Karen

I voted for Hilary Clinton today and I take full responsibility for my vote, knowing that I thoroughly researched each and every issue, and I came to the conclusion that is best for my family, and I also realize that my vote will not only affect my family but all of my fellow Americans. This is not a joke, although voting is my right it is also my responsibility to cast my vote based on research, facts, and overall effectiveness of the Candidate, not to be swayed by race or gender and I am a College Educated African American Female contrary to the media and their so called polling.

February 12, 2008 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  21. Allan Camden, SC

What's with the negative comments from Democrats about Democrats? It's a great choice, and may the best man/woman win. However, I am not particularly pleased with the idea that if Obama wins in the primaries, the superdelegates could override the choice and choose Clinton, or vice-versa. Donna Brazile, who is in fact a superdelegate, said last week that such a result would cause her to quit the Democratic Party, and I suspect she isn't the only one. I also do not like Mrs. Clinton's brushing off all these primaries and caucuses as if those voters are irrelevant. They certainly are NOT irrelevant, and I believe it was Ms. Brazile who pointed out that A win is a win. Amen on that!

I voted for Obama through Democrats Abroad, but if the Democrats manage not to destroy each other a la 1968, I will support the nominee of the party, as will most of the rest of us. But if they decide to get personal and negative, well.... Don't blow it, Democrats, for God's sake!

February 12, 2008 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  22. Jon

Karen from Minnesota: I absolutely agree with you on what you just posted. The way it looks right now Obama will probably win. The more I listen to Obama the more I begin to feel that, wow! he's really good. But the problem is that most people who vote for him forget the fact that talk is cheap...because Obama put dream into their heads. Well, there is nothing wrong with dreaming but c'mon you gotta get real here. I was never a big fan of Hillary but when compared their qualification side by side, it's a no brainer. I will go with the one with experience. Some people said experience doesn't mean much...from what planet are you from? Whoever said that probably never had a real job. I watched 3 debates and I have to say that Hillary was very smart when answering questions. Again, I never liked her until recently. She is a very smar woman. Obama was so-so in most debates. In fact he 's not even a good speaker when having to answer impromptu questions. And he wants to be a leader of the country...c'mon. Most people don't see that. What's up with that? It's ashamed.

February 12, 2008 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  23. Mirta

Has anyone else noticed that whenever a photo of a voter is posted in the media, the voter is an African American?

February 12, 2008 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  24. Matt

If clinton loses, I refuse to vote on November, and maybe in another 4 years as well.

February 12, 2008 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  25. suzy

To "do your research"..........
    I have master's degree, and working on my doctorate.
    What is your education?
    I think your comment alone answers that question......
    The big difference is we DID do the research (because we ARE smart),
    and found that she is the best candidate.
    Unlike yourself, who obviously follows the pied piper.....think on your own lately?

February 12, 2008 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |