February 12th, 2008

Strong early turnout as 'Potomac Primaries' begin

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/2008/images/02/12/art.voting.ap.jpg caption="Marilyn Hart casts her ballot in the primary election at the Ray of Hope Baptist Church, Tuesday."]WASHINGTON (CNN) - Business was brisk at polling places in Virginia and Maryland Tuesday where primaries could answer key questions in the Democratic and Republican nomination races.

The District of Columbia voters are also participating in the so-called "Potomac primaries" - named for the river that separates Virginia and Maryland and flows past the nation's capital, Washington.

At stake in the primaries are 238 Democratic delegates and 119 total GOP delegates. Polls in Maryland and the District of Columbia close at 8 p.m. and in Virginia at 7 p.m.

In Maryland, turnout was anticipated to be about 40 percent, which is above normal according to Ross Goldstein, deputy administrator for the state's Board of Elections.

Full story

Filed under: Maryland • Virginia
  1. 4Hillary

NEWS FLASH:

HILLARY CLINTON was Endorsed by Former Ohio Senator/Astronaut JOHN GLENN!!! WOW what an endorsement. Thank you Senator Glenn.

Welcome Aboard!! Go Hillary!!! D.C. / VA / Maryland VOTE WITH INTELLIGENCE...........VOTE HILLARY CLINTON!!

NO FLUFF ... ALL SUBSTANCE!!! RIGHT BEHIND YOU HILLARY ALL THE WAY TO THE WHITE HOUSE !!!

February 12, 2008 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  2. Chuck of Milaca

Super Delegates are UNPLEDGED. They can, and do, change their minds from time to time. And this means? CLINTON LOSES, of course!

Give Hillary the Soup Line...

February 12, 2008 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  3. cpndave

Majority rule, get a life! I've been voting in Va for 40 years always with an id. Watch the Clinton machine grind to a halt as Bill goes back to Harlem to chase black chick and Hilary goes back to being a Mother to Chelsie (Joke)

February 12, 2008 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  4. Joe

What's up with the CNN/Obama lovefest? Not very objective reporting as far as I'm concerned. Let the voters decide and not call the race befoe it's over.

February 12, 2008 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  5. Alysse

I am totally perplexed by all the Hillary hate here and elsewhere on the Internet. Early in the race, I was undecided between Clinton and Obama and thought either would do a terrific job. But over time, I've decided to support Clinton, partly because I'm so turned off by Obama's supporters. All they seem to do is bash Clinton and speak vaguely of change, without ever articulating why believe their candidate is so much better equipped to lead our country.

Interestingly, when I was in college in the 90s (btw, yes – a number of Clinton supporters ARE educated.. imagine that!) and Bill Clinton was running for office, he too drew comparisons to JFK. Now here we are, 16 years later, and the Obama supporters have completely diminished his accomplishments and lumped him into the same category as the Bushes. Get a clue. While I recognize that Obama is intelligent, charismatic and a highly skilled orator, if you believe he's some knight in shining armor who's going to fix everything that's wrong with our country, then you're going to be in for a big disappointment. If he gets elected, it wouldn't surprise me if the next generation of voters feels about him the way so many of you Obama supporters feel about the Clintons.

February 12, 2008 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  6. disenfranchisedvoter

I'd vote for McCain over Obama if he's the nominee for the Dems.

February 12, 2008 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  7. Charlotte

Hillary never said voters were not important, she merely said they caucuses do not represent the voters as a whole. Caucuses are for a few hours a day and the average working stiff can't afford to take off work and go to a caucus. In Nevada where voters were allowed to vote at their work places she won. Must be why his supporters are students and upper income people. How about you Obama supporters explaining where Obama was when the important vote on Iran took place? In fact explain his voting record in the state senate as well. He has missed 1/3 of all votes in the US SENATE. How can he claim to be the best choice, encourage us all to be sure and vote, when he is absent a 1/3 of the time?

February 12, 2008 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  8. Amsterdam

Your vote wil have change, vote for Barrack Obama!

February 12, 2008 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  9. LiLi Wang

To Nick: I'm Hillary supporters always. I'm successful professional woman. I have three lovely children who are outstanding in college and elementary school. Be careful with the words used to commend others since that truly reflect what kind person you are!

February 12, 2008 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  10. cpndave

LeeAnn Taylor

If the Clintons (note the plural) get the nomination I will jump parties and vote for Mccain. Get it through your head the Clintons are immoral and don't deserve to be elected as dogcatcher. Obama rules!

February 12, 2008 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  11. mike

Does anyone on the site ever read the other comments, or is it just a propaganda vehicle? The internet has a huge potential to transform the political dynamic, but slogans on this site are nothing more than virtual bumper stickers. They cause us all to disregard reading other's posts, and squander opportunities to have a real discussion. Is anyone's opinion swayed by anything said, or is this just a forum to vent? Forget the exclamation points, find your caps lock key, and grow up.

February 12, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  12. Leah DiMarco, TX

I am sooooo looking forward to having a President of the United States of America in the White House that has wisdom, vision, honesty, integrity, and good judgment and a First Lady that is intelligent, humble and has pose and grace. These are qualities that I have not seen since the John F. Kennedy administration. January 2009 I will be a proud American!

Obama '08/'12

February 12, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  13. Vera from Mississippi

At least one of your listeners did not listen to what Michelle Obama iterated In her interview with Larry King. She specifically stated that she did not 'celebrate' over projected wins. She said that she preferred to wait until all of the tallies were counted. She also said that they had a difficult race ahead and that they probably would do well today, but she did not brag about being in the White House. She was asked if she was ready to take her position as First Lady if her husband became President. She said that she was 'up to the task' ; that she views it as an honor, a privilege and a great opportunity====very humble tone in my opinion. She is a confident, intelligent, warm and gracious lady. WHO WOULDN'T WANT HER IN THE WHITE HOUSE? ONLY SOMEONE WHO HAS THE WRONG ISSUES IN THE FOREFRONT OF THEIR THINKING. THE OTHER 'POSSIBLE' FIRST LADIES CERTAINLY PALE IN COMPARSION TO HER.

February 12, 2008 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  14. way, ky

Get out and vote for a winner, HUCKABEE. YES.

February 12, 2008 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  15. rs wood

It's nice to see the Dems are as mean to each other as the Reps are. Makes me feel part of a big human family.

February 12, 2008 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  16. luke

Obama08!!!Obama08!!!Obama08!!!

February 12, 2008 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  17. ao

Well my suspicions may be true.
    Virginia Republicans are voting for OBAMA. In the state of Virginia Republicans and Dems are able to vote in the primary either party. They are voting for Obama today because as they told me, my husband and several friends, "Hillary is the threat." Their candidate has been mathematically confirmed and it is their belief Obama will not take McCain.
    If you are a Sen.Hillary Clinton supporter you have chosen correctly.
    Numbers don't always tell the truth. What a brilliant threat she is!!

Never Give Up!!!

Hillary'08

February 12, 2008 06:29 pm at 6:29 pm |
  18. JS

Actually, we want Senator Barack Obama !!!!!!!!

February 12, 2008 06:29 pm at 6:29 pm |
  19. sandie Gee

Canadian here :o) I must say how impressed I am at the close race between Clinton and Obama.

Hats off the the Democrats to be the first party to place "people's" choice above Corporate choice.

I wish both Clinton and Obama the best of luck, cause the way I see it, no matter who wins, we all win.

Nice to be your neighbour. I have not stopped watching your primarys with great interest :o)

If I may comment, and if I had the vote, I would vote for Hillery, only because I believe Americans would benefit her years of experience and her ability to be accountable. Very nice qualities for a future President.

Sandie Gee

February 12, 2008 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |
  20. brenda

The republicans can't wait to get their hands on your Obama!

February 12, 2008 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  21. Dani

I can't believe how so many people keep insulting Obama voters by saying they are uninformed, they are only running after a candidate who is not experienced and basically can't do anything but inspire people. Wake up America! Go to obama.com, educate yourself. Obama has just as much substance! This whole image of the "no substance"guy is created by the media! Don't fall for it! Why is it that so many people with higher education vote for him (and I am not saying this to disrespect anyone – I know many people with higher education also vote for Hillary) – but my point is: they ususally take some time to inform themselves. They found out that Obama has indeed very specific and concrete plans – and they make sense!! Plus he is inspiring!! So stop this nonsense talk! Vote for whoever you consider the best candidate but stop trying to diminish Obama!!!

February 12, 2008 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  22. mike

Too many times Americans have been presented with a "lesser of evils" dilema. I don't think that will be the case in November, unless it's Clinton vs. McCain.

February 12, 2008 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  23. Robert

VOTE RON PAUL!!!!

February 12, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  24. Truth

WOW Obama has more white votes then black in VA, there goes all you racist who say Obama will win off the Afican-American vote in VA, MD and DC
    Obama – 49% white vote
    43% black vote

February 12, 2008 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  25. Jenny, Rio Vista, CA

Rechi: You are a liar. I saw the interview and what you have written is totally untrue. I think you have been hanging around Hillary too long.

February 12, 2008 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |