February 13th, 2008

Puerto Rico's governor backs Obama

CNN’s Candy Crowley reports that sources inside and outside the Obama campaign confirm that Puerto Rico’s Democratic governor, Anibal Acevedo Vila, will endorse Barack Obama for president - possibly as soon as today.

The island has 63 delegates to this year’s convention - a total far higher than many states that have already weighed in.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Confused..........

Interesting and expected.........most government officials will go against the will of their people.

February 13, 2008 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  2. angela

The latinas are coming on board.

Hopefully sooner rather than later,Hillary will realise that she is tearing the party apart,prolonging the inevitable and that she really doesnot have a snowball in hell chance of wining the elections come November.

Greacefully bow out now Hillary,for the sake of your people and your party.

February 13, 2008 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  3. Mintlee

How many delegates does TEXAS have? Does anybody know?
    Obama must be careful of that.
    Obama, I love you and I really wish you were a Republican or at least a real Conservative. I really like you. I am going for Huckabee, but I really pray you will win over The Clinton's. I feel like they use Blacks.
    Maybe I am wrong, but no one needs to be used.

God bless you Obama, may Jesus use you for His Glory.
    love you much

February 13, 2008 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  4. brad

well said trenchtownrock

February 13, 2008 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  5. Kat

And they say that Latinos won't get behind Barack! Part of my family is from Puerto Rico & I was hoping for this. I am captivated everytime I hear this man talk!

February 13, 2008 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  6. 4Hillary

According to the Cleveland Plain Dealer, the "key difference" between Hillary's health care plan and Sen. Obama's health care plan is that "his plan would not be universal because it does not mandate that everyone enrolls."

February 13, 2008 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  7. Fridith S. Holloway

Hopefully this will help Texas latinos give Obama a second look and and take off the blinders the Clintons have placed over them.

February 13, 2008 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  8. Dennis

I have to be honest, I had no idea Peurto Rico had that many delegates. That is an interesting endorsement for Obama. I wonder if Edwards and Richardson are far behind.

February 13, 2008 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  9. Yes we can 08

I believe that this is huge for Obama, but not because of the Latino vote. Puerto Rico has a strange system where the Governor determines who gets the delegates in a winner gets all type scenario. I believe the popular vote is a recommendation to the Governor, but he can allocate delegates as he chooses

February 13, 2008 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  10. chris

Nery she will give you healthcare by taking your money by force....

February 13, 2008 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  11. Jean

I watched CNN yesterday in Virgina when they interviewed the Latino woman who said Obama had promised undocumented people drivers license. So she went out and had posters made. So of course he took Latinos in Virginia. But I thought states set up their drivers license for that state. That's pretty unethical just to get votes.

And today I heard him once again claim he hadn't voted for the war. Of course he didn't as he wasn't in the US Senate at that time

February 13, 2008 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  12. jack

the empty empty slogans of CHANGE is so bad for the dems,
    as obama has nothing to speak of so he twistet to speak empy words,
    evryone knowes it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

February 13, 2008 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  13. DULCE

SO WHAT THE GOVERNOR ENDORSE OBAMA THAT IS DIFERENT TO THE PEOPLE LIVE IN THE ISLAND HILLARY GET THE VOTE FROM PUERTO RICAN

February 13, 2008 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  14. Juanita in the Virgin Islands

The Caribbean is "Fired Up and Ready to GO" and the people of the Virgin Islands could not be happier that Governor of Puerto Rico will endorse Obama.

February 13, 2008 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  15. Ricardo

The people of PR haven't weighed in, but the Governor has. He's a superdelegate and has the right to endorse.

Though I don't support the Governor, I support Obama. I'm hoping that the people of Puerto Rico will follow suit.

-RA.

February 13, 2008 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  16. Boy George

SI SE PUEDE

February 13, 2008 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  17. Anne Marie

Obama never has been humble. I think the Obama campaign has tried to lump Hillary Clinton with George Bush. Nothing could be further from the truth. If anyone has fought the right and their mud slinging tactics-it is the Clintons. Just a few years as a senator and he thinks he is ready for the Big Time. What exactly does he stand for? I keep hearing hope? But I'm not sure how far that will get you. Why won't Obama debate Clinton? Because he knows that everytime he debates her, people can see that she knows the issues inside and out, and acutally has SOLUTIONS to those issues. So, to status quo-that's baloney, Hillary will be a different presense than the one we have in the White House currently.

February 13, 2008 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  18. SAM

GO OBAMA

February 13, 2008 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  19. Bukky, Baltimore

I guess i know where I am vacationing this summer... 🙂

February 13, 2008 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  20. rob

lol clintons have nine lives,

February 13, 2008 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  21. CC

This is great because there are many mis-information that we in the Hispanic/Caribbean are falling in line with the Clinton camp. This is strange because many of us know that the Clintons are being used by the Clintons for their on gain. It is the same way that do to the women that do not have a college degree or that make under $50K would fall in line with them also.

We are not a block that fall in line like that. Gracias Anibal Acevedo Vila for standing with Barack. I do believe that Barack will be a great president for the not only the us that live in the US but would I know that Americans all over would be proud with him at the helm.

February 13, 2008 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  22. EricTx

We Latino's need to come together and vote obama. I was leaning toward hilary till I see she forced our fellow own, Solis Doyle to step down (fired for all purposes). Is this what we can expect. Hilary giving us Latino voters promises and then when she gets our vote, throwing us to the side because she got what she wanted. We need to come together as Latino's and make a stand. I am voting obama

February 13, 2008 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  23. dennis

Clintons have 9 lives and a life line in cnn. There are faor and unbiased corrospondents on the network however, They also have those like Jessica Yellin constantly advocating for them on air when she should be providing the public with unbiased information.

Further, their graphic of the delegates is misleading and wrong. No one should be reporting or showing the superdelegates as a sum of delegates acquired by either candidate; this is factually eroneous and has been used to give the preception that Clinton is ahead of Obama when in fact he has been leading for quite sometime now. There is no certainty any or all superdelegates will remain with chosen candidate.
    One must remember that Cnn is trying to influence less educated who for the most part will not see through their tricks. Just watch their morning show and it becomes quite evident, especially on the mornings before primaries and caucases

February 13, 2008 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  24. pam

Obama and MIchelle I admonished you on the bravery that you have shown through out this process and I believe that the best is yet to come! GO OBAMA

February 13, 2008 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |