February 13th, 2008

Puerto Rico's governor backs Obama

CNN’s Candy Crowley reports that sources inside and outside the Obama campaign confirm that Puerto Rico’s Democratic governor, Anibal Acevedo Vila, will endorse Barack Obama for president - possibly as soon as today.

The island has 63 delegates to this year’s convention - a total far higher than many states that have already weighed in.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Antonio

Hillary you are still the best …..and our next president Don't Hate

February 13, 2008 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  2. E

Puerto Rico has been known to award it's delegates in a volatile fashion . . .sometimes winner take-all . . .sometimes at the whim of party leadership. This may not be fair, but Obama could very well obtain ALL 63 PR delegates due to the Governor's influence.

February 13, 2008 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  3. Colleen O'Shea

While everyone was focused on the Potomac primaries and political commentary was urging Hillary carry Edward's message to the people; Hillary galloped off into Texas with Obama's message almost word for word, delivery and emphasis a copy of Barack.

Didn't anyone notice?

February 13, 2008 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  4. bridgett, lansing

I think that this is really great. For far too long we have had a couple of primaries and some debates and then someone becomes the Democratic nominee and someone becomes the Republican nominee. I think it is really great that we can really get a great chance to watch democracy at work and it looks like everyone will have a say in this primary. I mean regardless of who you vote for you have to love to see this in action. I can't hardly get up in the morning from watching news. That means either this is really exciting or I need ot get a life. (ha-ha) Jokes on me it's both I know.

February 13, 2008 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  5. Melvin, North Carolina

If I am not mistaken, this democratic governor is probably a superdelegate.

But someone please correct me if I happen to be wrong.

February 13, 2008 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  6. And everyone said he was different........

Typical..........

February 13, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  7. Amy in Iowa

Puerto Rico Si se Puede.

February 13, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  8. Papa Roach

I think I'll vacation in PR next year. Looks like folks in PR are on the winning side of this campaign.

I agree that the Clintons have 9 lives and they are sending everyone out to campaign including their pet Dog 'pete'.

First it was the ex. president and his wild comments
    Then it was Hillary's mom
    Next it was the daughter
    I can't wait to see how 'pete' rallies the crowd in Hillary support.....

February 13, 2008 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  9. ortenzia

I don't understand why everyone, including Clinton's campaign, keeps saying she is providing healthcare for everyone. Her healthcare plan covers only the employed at select companies. Any freelancers, self-employed, or unemployed will be without healthcare, and they need it the most!

February 13, 2008 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  10. Lady

Good for him. I will be glad when this is all over and we can move onto getting rid of McCain. I am so tired of the Clintons.

February 13, 2008 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  11. fair

A lot of Democratic are thinking Obama can beat Mccain, so that they back Obama. However, Obama is never tested, since he has so liberal views that most people in this country do not like.

Action is stronger than words. Can Mr. Obama show from his young adult years to now, how much contribution he had made for this country? I watched a few debates, sorry to say that he can not even speak fluently, and no policy about how to put this country back on track.

I think whoever vote for Obama needs to think again, Bush for sure will leave Whitehouse by the end of his term. What you vote is not for voting Bush out, rather is put the future of this country in a hand that you can trust. Can we trust him? I have my doubt.

February 13, 2008 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  12. Mb

My latinos Brother, welcome to the movement. Love the Island of Puerto Rico!!

February 13, 2008 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  13. MRB

I'm not trying to insult anyone, but Texan Latinos are not the same as Puerto Rican Latinos. The PR Governor's endorsement will mean nothing to Latinos in Texas.

I think Obama has a good chance to do well in Texas, perhaps even beat Hillary. The most populated areas (Dallas, Houston) and rural areas lean Republican, and Obama tends to do well in Republican leaning areas/states. Austin tends to lean Democrat, with a lot of traditional Democrats there, but being home to the University of Texas, there are a lot of young voters there too, so who knows which way Austin will go. The southern half of the state has most of the Hispanic population and is more Democrat– I think Hillary will do well there. But she's still going to have to fight for it... Virginia proves that no one can take anything for granted in this campaign.

February 13, 2008 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  14. Rick, Maryland

It's bandwagon time.
    Why are men so threatened by a strong independent woman.
    That's the only reason Hillery is losing is because men are
    scared she'll actually win the White House.
    Why arn't foreign scared to have women in charge, there
    real me.

February 13, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  15. glhf

Well at the rate these primaries are going he just might need the delegates in Puetro Rico.

February 13, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  16. S.Forest

Just wondering what the Clinton's will come up with from now on especially that they are losing the battle. Hope people will keep supporting Obama , finally you have someone that is speaking for the people , he knows what it is to fight for what you think is the best for america and the world.

Hope you won't be so silly to beleive what the Clinton's tell you.

You know sometimes experience makes it easier for a person to hide the wrong doings, so think about that!!
    From:Canada

February 13, 2008 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  17. Boriqua_In_Texas

I would like to see Obama and Clinton on the same ticket. They would be unstoppable.

February 13, 2008 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  18. JC, Guaynabo, PR

It would be very foolish to think that Governor Vila's endorsment would have any kind of weight in the desissions of puertorricans in Puerto Rico or abroad.
    The Latinos in TX wich are mostly Mexican don't even know who the Governor of Puerto Rico is nuch less follow his endorsement.
    Probably the only people that will actually weigh in for those delegates are the elite few that are cloeselly involved with the Democratic party in the Island.

February 13, 2008 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  19. Jamauri

Wow...another LATINO endorsement. Way to go Gov Vila. The people of Puerto Rico and their 50plus delegates are gonna help OBAMA big!

February 13, 2008 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  20. Zazzahmat

The purpose of HOPE is within the hearts, souls and minds of those in need of hope. To those who's vanity exceed their prospectives of this suffering world, they only wish for self annointment and more public esteem. Truth is truth and those who have used lies to make gains for themselves will not know the true nature of HOPE.

February 13, 2008 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  21. Glen

63 delegates to the convention but no primary or caucus? If they do have a primary or caucus, when is it? I can't find it on the CNN primary calendar. If they don't have one, why not? Didn't the US Virgin Islands have one?

February 13, 2008 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  22. Pepe Le Pue

Oh boy... I can smell what Obama is cooking.

February 13, 2008 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  23. Brandy~GA

I think this is great b/c the Clintons are so positive that they have the Latino vote in the bag. I really hope this speaks to the Latino population in Tx and I hope they are giving Barack Obama a closer look. He is stable, he stands up for what he believes in, he is true to his word, and he wants Immigration Reform laws. That is very important to the Latinos. The Clintons move with the tides, the status quo, and can't really give anyone their word b/c as soon as what they "say" they believe in becomes unpopular, they change their minds, and they will do that with Immigration Reform too. If they thought for a second that Immigration Reform would cost them the presidency, they would back out of it! I don't know about yall, but that makes me really nervous, thinking of someone with those characteristics as my president! We need someone who is steadfast, and sticks up for what he believes in, no matter what the cynics are screaming. We need Obama!!

February 13, 2008 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  24. bruce

The idea that Texas Latinos alone will determine the Democratic primaries is quite a sorry one. And the idea that every Latino in Texas is going to vote for Hillary Clinton is an insult to the Latino community. Folks forget that Obama's field manager is Mexicano and that the main reason Temo could not deliver in California was time. There is a great deal of time between now and March 4, and come that day people will be sorry they backed themselves up into the Alamo. Ohio will vote Obama, so will Wisconsin and Hawai. And Puerto Rico is not simply Latino: Puerto Rico is Puerto Rico, you know, pretty much like Cuba is Cuba. There is a difference.

February 13, 2008 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  25. gene

Hillary Clinton arrived in El Paso, Texas yesterday to a rally of 10,000 enthusiastic supporters, who were mostly hispanic. One in three voters in the March4 primary will be hispanic. THe hispanic population is spread through out Texas, with the most being in south Texas, Dallas and Houston. Both Clinton's are very popular in Texas . Hillary 36 years ago when she was only 24 years of age was in Texas campaigning and helping the very liberal George McGovern in his campaign for the President. This is a fine lady, who has paid her dues, has worked hard for democratic ideals and has the experiece to start on the job on day one, She will not need on the job training. This is a dangerous world that we live in and we don't need a novice.

February 13, 2008 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |