February 13th, 2008

Puerto Rico's governor backs Obama

CNN’s Candy Crowley reports that sources inside and outside the Obama campaign confirm that Puerto Rico’s Democratic governor, Anibal Acevedo Vila, will endorse Barack Obama for president - possibly as soon as today.

The island has 63 delegates to this year’s convention - a total far higher than many states that have already weighed in.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Rodney

I am trying to understand what the attraction is to H. Clinton. It was her husband that got most of the jobs sent over seas. Remember NAFTA? I love the way she now has a Black woman running her her show now. Then on TV yesterday she has this little Latino child on stage with her. Are you serious?!!! If the Latinos can't see this window dressing then they can be duped by anyone. Put your prejudices behind you and stop acting like the Blacks did you guys wrong. The beef between Blacks and Latinos in LA is over drugs. I do not feel sorry for either race when it comes to something that stupid and wrong. I hope that we don't put her on the ticket because you guys hate Blacks that much. That is a stupid way to vote. I will not hate you because of your actions but I will question the character of your race. I am not voting for Obama because he is Black like I know some of us are. I think that is just as wrong. I like his vision and I love his message. We are what is wrong with our govt. We are not involved enough in the decision making and we do not fight what is wrong. He wants to change that. Clinton wants to make us believe that hope is for fools. Imagine if Blacks would have not had any hope. Martin Luther King would have been some freak with a loud mouth and no hope according to H. Clinton...

February 13, 2008 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  2. jjnypr

The problem with the Governor's endorsement is that Obama might not really want it. Puerto Rico's Democrat Governor is currently under a Grand Jury investigation for allegedly participating in a "pay-for-play" scheme while he was a Congressman.

February 13, 2008 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  3. Gail

I think that is great. I hope his endorsement translates into many votes by Latinos. While I think that both candidates have to earn the vote of the Latinos (as well as everyone's vote), I am thrilled to see that the Governor of PR is letting his political preference known.
    Go OBAMA.... YES WE CAN....SI SE PUEDE!!!!

February 13, 2008 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  4. I Was for Hillary...

...then she went negative and now I'm for Obama! If you take a hard look at both of them, they're real close in platform-how we get there is important too!

February 13, 2008 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  5. Mary

Everyone is jumping ship – but the smart money is on Hillary winning the Texas Hold Em showdown. Obama reminds me of Hollywood – it's all make believe

February 13, 2008 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  6. Mike

Good choice!

February 13, 2008 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  7. Karen

NERY...you are correct. Clinton does want Healthcare for all but she wants to FORCE them into it. So what happens to those who work everyday but simply cannot afford health insurance either because their job doesn't offer it or the premiums would be too high causing them not to be able to cover the essential bills...rent & food? So, for those who cannot afford it, what happens? Are they fined? Are they jailed?

February 13, 2008 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  8. Tamara bronx

I believe that obama is best for america in general,he's for all people so thats whats important.we really need change and i believe he is the one to do that .without all that extra stuff hillary is talking about. change is what we need.

February 13, 2008 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  9. Nicholas from Nigeria

If Obama is not the acceptable person as Clinton supporters claim why all these endorsement? This shows that Clinton will go a long way to bring someone down no matter what it takes them. We in Africa support you because we wants you as president to unseat the likes of Mugabe, and other tyrant African rulers. We want peace and unity in Africa. We want trade with the US and other part of the world and not aid. We want peace with the Arabs. The only person who can bring that peace is Obama.

Nicholas Nigeria

February 13, 2008 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  10. Raymond

I have not decided yet on who I will vote for but Obama seems to be doing well for an underdog, reminds me of the superbowl. 🙂

February 13, 2008 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  11. Karen from Minnesota

We think of PR as a paradise but when I was there in July 1998 there was a general strike on the island and there were police everywhere. They need help and are a real drain on the US. They don't want statehood as they currently receive huge subsidies and do not pay taxes. What a deal! I'd endorse Obama too. He promises everything but hasn't bothered to figure out how to pay for it. Live in paradise for nothing...WOW!

February 13, 2008 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  12. Lorenzo

Watch out Obama those Clinton's have those mafia ties which they
    will do anything to steal anyone's thunder, they are the modern day
    Gambino crime family in politics. Remember white water, and the OVAL OFFICE, ask hillary she will tell you. They are a SPECIAL UNIT.

February 13, 2008 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  13. Donna, NJ

Thank God for the Puerto Ricans! I thought for a moment I had lost my mind having been born and raised in New York City where many of my Latino friends growing up and still today were mostly from PR and for the most part, we all "got along just fine"! The way the media distorts, dictates, and tries to ultimately "define" who Latinos "love and adore", (Hillary?), was another smack-down in the face of those who ought to know better. Bad enough the Clintons took African-Americans for granted and insulted their sensibilities and intelligence and consequently forfeited much of their support. The Latinos in yesterday's primaries proved again that they are a very diverse ethnic group who can speak and think for themselves. Hillary needs to be very careful going into Texas thinking that all the Latinos there are "beholding" unto her.

February 13, 2008 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  14. Charletta Wshington-Holbert

Not all African Americans and Latino Americans are at odds with one another. In the places where tensions are high between the two cultures you find places where drug trafficking and gang violence are just as evident. We've come so far and still have such a far way to go. Much love to all of our latino brothers and sisters!!!!!

February 13, 2008 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  15. JohnS

Ofcourse, I want my "boss" to make me and my coworkers "feel good and hopeful." I do not care about someone's wealth of experience, I want someone who
    1. believes in me
    2. makes me "feel" good
    3. makes me feel hopeful
    4. brings all (or most) coworkers together to GET things done, and
    5. has good "moral judgment"
    6. challenges me to be the BEST that I could be

that person, for now, is Obama!

Experience is NOT enough to make me go back home, after work, to my family!!!

Hillay wants a debate so that she could sit next to a decent, strong, and handsome young man. Debates are frankly useless; do your RESEARCH and read the position papers of these candidates and you can avoid boring debates!!!

February 13, 2008 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  16. Wayne

Even John McCain may endorse Obama soon

February 13, 2008 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  17. Gloria Montes

I can't believe Puerto Rico has endorsed Obama. Hillary has a stronger voting record when it comes to helping hispanics.She has boosted education, health care for the poor, and most importantly financial grants for the poor since she took office. She has been an openbook on her past to the American people. Hillary has an amazing track record of experiences from self and husband, past president Clinton.

Where did Barack Hussein Obama all over sudden come from? I never even heard of him before the 2008 elections. I think he is charismatic, but our country can't make decisions based on charisma. Hillary means business and America is ready for her.

February 13, 2008 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  18. hamilton34

Oh thank god for the Puerta Ricans. How are the Canadians and Mexicans going to vote? Do we have poll numbers yet on the Angolans- lets roll that out soon please.

February 13, 2008 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  19. gladys

So the endorsement of a not very popular governor, of a territory of the usa that dosnt vote for the president is supposed to be good for Obama, give me a break, what did he offered him? statehood, PLEASE. This love affair with Obana will end and people will be sorry when they realize that they elected a president that gives great speeches but has no experience and screws the country more than it allready is.
    PS
    latinos in texas dont even Know or care where Puerto Rico is

February 13, 2008 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  20. SlapStick, Florida

WHoop there it IS!!!

Obama 08

February 13, 2008 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  21. James Dunn

Mark my words. If Obama goes against McCain, we'll have a Republican in the White House again. Republicans are crossing over to vote for Obama so that they can trounce him in November. This will be the biggest Republican landslide since Reagan in the 80's.

February 13, 2008 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  22. Jonathan

when did experience become a liability? whenever someone interviews for a job, the first and most important credential is always proven leadership and experience. Obama has no major achievements or experience under his belt, and we're going to throw him into the most important job in the world because he gives eloquent speeches. It takes more than eloquence to change the world guys.

At the end of the day, Obama will (and already has) sold out universal health care to appeal to people across the aisle. Yes, process and compromise are important, but they aren't as important as RESULTS. If we democrats have been genuine when we have always said that health care is a right, and not a privelege, then let's elect someone who will actually stand up for it, not someone who will capitulate before even getting the job.

Go HILLARY!

February 13, 2008 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  23. Wise Constituate

Experience is what criminals get to learn how to bamboozle the system. Experience for Sen. Clinton is also filled with records that she'd hopefully not wish to come to light. Hillary and Bill have gone to some big odds to cover her records in Bill's library in AK.

February 13, 2008 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  24. RockOn!

Thank you Gov. Vila!!! I have never been to Puerto Rico but I hope to visit as soon as I finish up my doctorate!!

February 13, 2008 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  25. Yosef

There is no indication that this story is true from what I have heard. BTW, Clinton will win by a landslide in my Island.

February 13, 2008 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |