February 13th, 2008

Puerto Rico's governor backs Obama

CNN’s Candy Crowley reports that sources inside and outside the Obama campaign confirm that Puerto Rico’s Democratic governor, Anibal Acevedo Vila, will endorse Barack Obama for president - possibly as soon as today.

The island has 63 delegates to this year’s convention - a total far higher than many states that have already weighed in.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Jerry

THANK YOU GOVERNOR VILA!!! LATINOS FOR OBAMA!!!

TO Trenchtownrock: YOU'RE EXACTLY RIGHT. YES OBAMA SHOULD REMAIN HUMBLE. THE CLINTONS HAVE 9 LIVES AND SOME.

TO S.Forest: YOU ECHOED WHAT I'VE BEEN SAYING ALONG. SHE SAYS HAS A LOT OF EXPERIENCE IN WASHINGTON AND THE MIGHT MEAN SHES VERY PROFICIENT AT LYING AND MISLEADING.

BUSH, CLINTON, CLINTON, BUSH, BUSH, CLINTON? WE NEED A BREAK!!

OBAMA O8!!!

February 13, 2008 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  2. Angie

Hillary is going negative with ads in Wisconsin. All Obama supporters please spread the truth about Obama. He will be a agent for change. I have convinced my husband to support Obama and now I am talkng to other family members. Slowly but surely they will be Obama supporters.

Yes we can!!!

Obama Obama Obama!!!

February 13, 2008 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  3. Christy

I AM SO HAPPY AS A PERSON OF PUERTO RICAN ETHNICITY. PUERTO RICANS FOR OBAMA!!!

THERE'S NO OTHER CHOICE. HILLARY IS ONLY CONCERNED WITH THE BIG STATES NOT THE UNITED STATES!!!!

February 13, 2008 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  4. Mercedes Rodriguez

CNN:

I find it offensive that as an american citizen that is trying to post my opinion on your blog is constently being turned down for other empty opinions that are basically offensive. I have tried for some time to post comments on other topics and they NEVER show up. I will definetly boycott your website and furthermore you cablenetwork. Fair is fair and I am also entitle to my opinion as long as it's not derogatory.

Mercedes Rodriguez

February 13, 2008 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  5. Vince

What exactly is Obama saying? Everything will be great if we all follow him? Follow him WHERE? He hasn't said ANYTHING. Are we all a bunch of SHEEP? Baa, we can! Baa, we can!

Get some brains. Can anyone in the media finally step up and be critical of his non answers to everything!

February 13, 2008 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  6. PoliticallyActive

Clinton should bow out now!

February 13, 2008 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  7. Faith/Tested

I am from MA, I know what that type of endosement mean.
    How we did after Ted, John, Patrick? It should not be forgetting already!!

February 13, 2008 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  8. Clinton vs Obama

Uhmmm as a Latino voter....Puerto Rican are considered latinos. So we listen whenever anyone within our realm speaks. So yes it means something at least to me. Go to Anibal Avecido Avil's website to check out the Governers politics.

February 13, 2008 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  9. Andrew K

Sorry, I'm sure this is naive - but why does Puerto Rico have more delegates than several US states?? Um... I don't get it. Anyone?

February 13, 2008 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  10. Waleska

The people of PR want Hillary. Period.

February 13, 2008 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  11. stop obama!!

Anibal Acevedo Vila has detroyed puerto rico!

February 13, 2008 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  12. Lisa

This is great!

Puerto Rico's 63 delegates are winner take all!

February 13, 2008 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  13. Henry n New York

PEOPLE PEOPLE PLEASE THINK – Sen. Clinton is running on her "Health Care" plan but it seems that the obvious question is not being asked. When she first attempted to revise health care in this country it was during the second term of her husband. She got knocked down, stomped and beat down by the republicans. She then lived and worked in the White House for the next "6 years" – how come she didn't try again if she feels so strong about health care, why did she stop until she decided to run for president by way of the New York Senate. Hillary only wants the Presidency as a professional goal she will not make universal health care a reality and any who believe that are believing in fantasy.

Jesus tells his disciples when that ask how they will know the genitals for the true believers – he replied: YOU SHALL KNOW THEM BY THE FRUIT THAT THEY BEAR. Look at Hillary's life's work and then look at Obama's – has anyone every seen her dirty, marching or defending civil rights?

February 13, 2008 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  14. NY'er

Obama...

Stay on course, don't sink to Clinton's level. It just turns people off, which is good for you in the long run!! Glad everyone is starting to come around to support you...finally!!!

Yes We Can

Gobama!!!!

February 13, 2008 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  15. Chris, Middletown, CT

I was afraid he was going to support Hillary...and that any visit to Puerto Rico would have a mandated tax to provide healthcare to people who illegally entered Puerto Rico...since he's supporting Obama....wheew...now I am comfortable

February 13, 2008 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  16. reba road

Politics is very fluid. Let's remember , It's not over until its over.

Obama , I am listening for specifics and I have not heard them yet.

It takes more than speeches to govern.

February 13, 2008 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  17. lc

So if Hillary is best for latinos, why would the Governor of Puerto Rico endore Obama?

I hope all latinos take notice and really research the difference between the 2 candidates.

Hillary is running and not Bill. Obama is the man for this hour.

February 13, 2008 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  18. Susan

Thanks Gov Vila for your support. I think you should go to Texas and help campaign for Obama.

Obama 08
    Si Se Puede

Note to Hillary:

1. Too bad you fired Patti Solis Doyle..she's not the problem. The problem is all the in-fighting and your inability to stay on message. What is your message..today anyway?

2. Your negative TV ads won't work. We know you lie..all the time

3. Leave the keys under the mat and turn out the lights on your way out.

February 13, 2008 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  19. Charles Odiase

Thank You for being a trailblazer, and thinking about America first. If all Governors think like you, America will be a better place. Viva Barack Obama, Viva Governor Vila

February 13, 2008 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  20. David G.,

Endorsements are nice. Delegates are nicer... And this governor is a super delegate so at least Obama's got one more... I do think when Latino audiences are able to hear what Obama stands for, they'll find his Health Plan just fine with them and not all that different from Clinton's. None of them will be left out. No child will go without health insurance. So, the bottom line is that if you want insurance, both plans promise that it's available at a cost that is affordable... D.

February 13, 2008 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  21. piecrust

I remember so in the 90s that the economy was so good and it was under the Clinton Administration. He worked tirelessly with Alan Greenspan and I can go on and on, how good it was. The only ugly thing about it was the Monica circus, and the other lies the Republicans did to bring down the Clintons. I never wavered on this couple. They're doers and for those who do not read enough and research enough, it is sad that you all get carried way with fluffy speeches. You do not care about the plight of your fellow americans suffering (i.e., poverty, high mortgages). Americans are not thinkers, only shallow.

February 13, 2008 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  22. Wilson

All around us, we see the change: 4 years of Bush senior, 8 years of Clinton, and then 8 years of another Bush and then to put another Clinton in there for God knows how long is not the change we want.

Obama is making many of us to vote in the primary for the first time; no one else could have made many people participate in this primary other than Obama.

We believe in this change that is blowing all across the U.S

February 13, 2008 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  23. Stan

Thanks for the support my Puerto Rican brothers, I hope the Mexicans don't get mad now since their mortal enemies are supporting Obama.

Why do Mexicans hate Puerto Ricans and vice versa?

February 13, 2008 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  24. t

I have no idea what nery just said.

February 13, 2008 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  25. Brian

Gracias Governador Vila.

Viva Borriquen Y los Boricuas.

And now duck because the Clinton switftboat dirt machine is coming right at us.

February 13, 2008 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |