February 18th, 2008

CNN Texas poll: Dead heat among Democrats

(CNN) - It's all tied up in Texas.

A new CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll suggests that the battle for the Democratic presidential nomination between Sens. Hillary Clinton of New York and Barack Obama of Illinois is a statistical dead heat in Texas, which holds primaries March 4.

In the survey, out Monday, 50 percent of likely Democratic primary voters support Clinton as their choice for the party's nominee, with 48 percent backing Obama. But if you take into account the poll's sampling error of 4.5 percentage points for Democratic respondents, the race is a virtual tie.

Two recent polls by other organizations also show the race statistically even.

Full story

Filed under: Polls • Texas
  1. bakersfield

i believe everybody can see whats going on here, please follow my lead if obama wins the nomination vote for john mccain. show the dnc and all the news casters that they are not handleing this thing right. i promise without a doubt i will vote john mccain if hillary which is more qualified doesn't win.

February 18, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  2. Gabby C

I'm a Latino living in California. Can anyone explain to me what Hillary has done for the Hispanic community? I don't see anything. I am voted for Obama and hope to get to vote for him again in November. I'm sick of CNN giving the race to Hillary.

February 18, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  3. Peter Canada 4 Obama!

Hello folks, let there be peace. Speeches and all other words are used to sell one self. English language has been in exctistence for years, no one person will clame the originality of it, because we didn't make it.
    So, the most important in this campaign is about the old politic and future politic. Change is comparing old ideas and establishing news ideas. Other words you learn from the past and look to the future. that what change is.

Hillary folks please we don't want to tear apart the party because of nomination fight. the big fight is yet to come and you all going red already. Please be patience. thank you.

February 18, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  4. joe

anonymous,

I AM HERE IN FLORIDA....IF OUR VOTES ARE NOT COUNTED...

WE ALL LOSE....AND WE WILL LOSE THE GENERAL ELECTION IN

FLORIDA...AND WE NEED FLORIDA

DEMOCRATS IN FLORIDA HAVE AGREED TO START A

DEMOCRAT FOR MCCAIN GROUP IF OUR VOTES ARE NOT

COUNTED....SO YOU SHOULD THINK TWICE BEFORE YOU

COMMENT....WE WILL ALL LOSE

February 18, 2008 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  5. Hillary = BUSH = FEAR TACTICS

Hillary, just like Bush, is using her FEAR TACTICS on AMERICA. Are we in RED ALERT Hillary?

Remember that Bill Clinton had ZERO White House experience and Bush senior had 12 years plus served in WWII and had just been thru the experience of Desert Storm and more.

Hillary, you are just like Bush BUT this time your fear tactics will not work on the American people.

We know that Hillary has been on a non-stop BAD JUDGEMENT streak.

We need to stop the Bush and Hillary BAD JUDGEMENT streak.

Vote Obama ‘08

February 18, 2008 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  6. Frank

In contrast to the texas primary; I live in Wisconsin and have been bombarded by Hillary Clinton phone calls, If I were considering even for a moment that I might vote for her that is gone....I have had had way too many calls with here message on it – my 11 year old even hangs up on her now.
    On the flip side I received one call from the Obama camp and I listened to the entire message and I have not had a second call.
    Hillary is beating a dead horse – everyone I know is voting for Obama, she's just getting people P-Oed at her for the annoying calls at this point; on the other hand she's burning up her campaign money on a dead horse. 🙂

February 18, 2008 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  7. Mary- Lawrence KS

Wow... simply amazing.

In one corner of the ring, you have Obama fans who refuse to see anything wrong with their candidate..... even when he is.

In the other corner, you have Hillary fans who know she isn't perfect, but are tired on the medias slant toward Obama, so they would like some of his negatives to be reported on instead of only focusing negatives on her.

GET A GRIP FOLKS...... neither one of the candidates are perfect. Stick to voting on the person who has actually formulated real plans, has real solutions and has the ability to get it done by knowing the process of the national scene in politics.... it is definitely Hillary.

However, with time being spent on the crap being reported, they might as well be tied all the way to convention so people in politics as a full time job can end this nonsense.

February 18, 2008 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  8. AJ in SF

*IF* Hillary loses Wisconsin, Hawaii, Ohio and Texas, do her supporters still feel she should stay in this race? With that possibility looking more and more likely, I think her supporters should really think about drawing this line for her – she certainly won't ever do it herself.

February 18, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  9. Cesar

why do CNN not stop trying to elect Obama, he is just not ready to be president. CNN is losing credibility big time. All polls show Clinton ahead of Obama for more than 10 points in Texas and Ohio and CNN keeps trying to show fake polls.

February 18, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  10. Stenye

I will be the first to tell you that "Yes I am" on the Obama express train for change. We had our years of the Bush & Clinton family running our county. Why do we think that these two groups are the only ones that knows what's best for the nation? Why do they like sharing the same home address every 4 to 8 years? I feel that when the Clinton get hit with that big dose of reality...it's going to be a mother. My view on Hillary attack against Obama: The more Mrs. Clinton try to find ways to bring Obama down...his train stays on track and keep heading to the final destination, the White House~

February 18, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  11. HangingontoHope

I can not believe what I am witnessing here among the Democratic party. The in-fighting back and forth amongst those who basically want the exact same thing is mindnumbingly pathetic. The plain and simple truth is this: both are solid candidates, and both could do a lot to bring about change for this country. Unless you REALLY want to see another 4+ years of Republican leadership, I suggest you get it together and stop whining about the other side of the fence when you still have to live next door to each other. I have heard people from both sides claim that if their candidate doesn't get nominated that they will vote for McCain...ARE YOU FREAKIN' SERIOUS???

I like Obama a lot. I find him to be quite charismatic and chock full of strong leadership qualities that this country needs. However, I do believe that he is extremely inexperienced and would just simple take longer to get the same job done. I will vote for Hillary this primary. That being said...if Obama should win the nomination, I will not cry about it, but instead fully throw my support behind he and his campaign.

My greatest regret this election (of which I have found myself more excited about than any other I have EVER had the privelege of being a part), is that the Democratic party did not do more in the early stages of all this to bring both Hillary and Obama together. Hillary as President and Obama as VP for 8 years (an unstoppable ticket – btw), and THEN Obama for 8 MORE years. 16 years, practically guaranteed, of democratic leadership...and we let it all slip through our fingers due to petty in-fighting. For shame, because I truly believe that it will take at least that long to un-do all the wrongs that have been done to this country throughout the last 8 years.

Just my 2.

DEMOCRATS '08

February 18, 2008 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  12. tom

cmon people wake up texas hillary 08...............

February 18, 2008 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  13. SHARON

YES WE CAN

was first coined in the WHITE HOUSE

by no other than Bill Clinton

February 18, 2008 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  14. Obama supporter

Join the Movement.

Obama '08

February 18, 2008 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  15. Jan

I'm a republican. I've voted republican for 20 years. But this election, I'm voting for Barack Obama.

But if, for some reason, the Democrats are stupid enough to choose Hillary, I will vote for whomever the Republicans choose. Doesn't matter. I just do not want to see someone as atrocious as Hillary Clinton in the White House. I can't think of much that could be worse for this country.

So Democrats: Choose Obama and you've got this Republican's vote. Choose Hillary–and just watch Republicans come out of the woodwork to keep her out of the oval office.

February 18, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  16. Rick

So what are the Clintons up to next, starting the comments on what is used in a speech, Its a little far fetched from one who will not disclose her financial records. Well this is not a new thing from the Clintons because Obama has made great increases in getting the young out and now they are mad. Whats next from them, hmmmm superdelegates and making backroom deals to get the nomination. That would not be good to play that card, because playing that card would show democracy and the peoples vote doesnt count and guess that leads to just one thing......dictatorship

February 18, 2008 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  17. Lance

Its very amazing to me of the Hillary Clinton supporters. Shes not laughing with you, She's laughing at you (About how naive you can be).
    She thinks because shes a female she has the right to take the white house, but she's too connected to OLD STYLE POLITICS.

YES we need a female president but HILLARY CLINTON IS NOT PRESIDENTIAL....................SHE'S TOO POLARIZING AND both Clintons have too many scandals attached to the name...................
    PLEASE PLEASE, no more Clintons in the White House.

PEOPLE WAKE UP AND READ THE FACTS.

February 18, 2008 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  18. Steve

I love when Clinton supporters question whether or not Obama can win the GE. Are you saying that the Clinton campaign isn't as tough as the Republicans? If he can beat Hillary why can't he beat McCain? unless you are suggesting McCain is tougher than Hillary...

February 18, 2008 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  19. Hillary08

Latina for Obama, You should check out World Net Daily. Very interesting article about Obama.

February 18, 2008 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  20. latino in tx

go hillary go...........lead us forward.......

February 18, 2008 06:29 pm at 6:29 pm |
  21. kathleen, illinois

Hillary only cares about winning. If she does, she will forget us.
    She is sounding more desperate lately. So does Bill. Please,
    no more of the Clinton's. Please.

Obama 2008

February 18, 2008 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |
  22. Mel

Reading through these comments the things I noticed more than anything else is there are a lot of people who cannot spell.Also there are too many uninformed people.Obama has been an elected official longer than Hillary...so much for the lack of experience.What has Hillary done really.So she stayed in the white house and got to see first hand how things were done....so what! She didn't do it.Would you let someone operate on you because they had seen the operation done before or maybe fly with someone who had only watched a pilot fly.
    She has no more experience than he does.She does not inspire anyone. She has no chance to win....Hillary backers...get on board or get out of the way....OBAMA 08

February 18, 2008 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  23. Bill

The tightening polls illustrate the success of the Clinton campaign's strategy of fabricating issues out of whole cloth and labeling them "troubling" to eager media pundits like Wolf Blitzer who apparently thinks he needs to help Hillary any way he can by pumping phoney baloney for the Clintons. He and the CNN producers need to get on board the new politics train and stop playing old-fashioned, silly games instead of reporting the real news and views on the campaign trail.

February 18, 2008 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  24. Bob, DC

This is huge. If Obama can win TX this thing is over.

February 18, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  25. Robert W (Vermont)

I don't know – I lost my job because of Clinton shutting down military bases around the country (I worked there for 16 yrs), and look what he did with jobs NAFTA (I know Hilary is different from Clinton, but I'm tired of the Bush/Clinton dinesty)., and then Bush laid me off because he need more money to fund the war, so I was jobless.

I'm really hoping that Obama will put our country back on track.

February 18, 2008 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |