February 18th, 2008

CNN Texas poll: Dead heat among Democrats

(CNN) - It's all tied up in Texas.

A new CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll suggests that the battle for the Democratic presidential nomination between Sens. Hillary Clinton of New York and Barack Obama of Illinois is a statistical dead heat in Texas, which holds primaries March 4.

In the survey, out Monday, 50 percent of likely Democratic primary voters support Clinton as their choice for the party's nominee, with 48 percent backing Obama. But if you take into account the poll's sampling error of 4.5 percentage points for Democratic respondents, the race is a virtual tie.

Two recent polls by other organizations also show the race statistically even.

Full story

Filed under: Polls • Texas
  1. Tom Wittmann

My forecast:

Obama will win Wisconsin by 10-15%
    Obama will win Texas by 5-10%
    Hillary will win OHIO BY 10-0%
    Obama will win Hawaii by 20%

and by evening 2/12 his delegate advantage will increase.

TOM

February 18, 2008 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  2. Hillary_Supporters_Need_A_Reality_Check

Those that suggest they will vote for McCain if Hillary is not elected are fools – plain and simple. These are the type of people who view politics as a game, and less about shaping a nation.

Examine the policies of both Dem. candidates. It does not take an academic to figure out that they are similar – yet you will vote for McCain instead?

That people, is just idiocy.

February 18, 2008 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  3. ROCCO

the media is influencing this election. i am a strong democrat but if obama wins im voting for MCCAIN.. he's a fraud and the media should be ashame of themselves!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 18, 2008 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  4. David DS

To the American People,

I continue to pray and fast for your country as you decide the chosen man to reclaim your greatness in the eyes of the world. You are on your way...

Vote from your heart and conscience....

YES YOU CAN!!!

GO BAMA GO!!!

Obama/JESUS '08 '12

February 18, 2008 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |
  5. germany for OBAMA and CHANGE

February 18th, 2008 4:49 pm ET

Latina for obama i'm also a latina u most be married to a obama open your eyes and see what Hillary has done she is a very strong woman and she is not affraid to run with the men she has my vote 100%

Being a strong woman is not a political agenda, fact is Hillary ,first lady backing Bill to pardon Rice agaisnt millions and helping to a genocide of more than 5.4 millions deaths in east congo ; gives a clear cut idea about highly morally strong woman

February 18, 2008 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  6. Tom Wittmann

I had to divide my post in 2 parts (now 3!) as I was not able to come through with all the text!
    ====================

And once it is confirmed that OBAMA (who will win also North Carolina and other open states) will have a large majority of pledged delegates,
    droves of super-delegates will flock to him or abstain, and not support
    the seating of Florida and Michigan flawed delegates.

And so, the Clintons would be history out !

TOM

February 18, 2008 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  7. Kevin-Texas

Keri in Texas:

You ask: Can Obama stand up in "the adult world of rough and tumble politics?"

Your logic suggests that McCain will run a tougher campaign against Obama than Clinton has.

If this is true, my question to supporters of Clinton is this "Why has she not run a campaign to win?" "Why has she not run an 'adult' 'rough and tumble' campaign?" I would expect no less of my candidate.

My belief is that she has run a 'rough and tumble' campaign and Obama has done quite nicely. I think his message, though you try hard to trivialize it (which is sad and pathetic), is one that Americans are yearning to hear. It is a message that will bring us together and inspire us to roll up our sleeves and do the hard work that needs to be done.

February 18, 2008 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  8. Sal

The Clintons?

Will have a legacy for their type of politics.

Split may happen

GOP 08

Dems maybe in 2016

doubt it

Party will loose too much of its base.

Attacking your own party is rediculous

February 18, 2008 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |
  9. jbp

When will CNN start to really treat Obama the same way they treat Hillary. Hillary is right Obama is all just words and now they are not even his own. He will say anything to get elected. Let's see CNN ask him the question during this weeks debate how he told the Iowa voters that he is in favor of the 2nd Amendment yet signed papers in support of gun control. Did the Iowa voters know that before they supported him. And what a joke Idaho a state full of so many white supremist type folks that they vote for Obama. America wake up.

February 18, 2008 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |
  10. Indy 4 Obama

From one American to another Obama can borrow any lines he wants to from fellow friends.

Give it up Clinton, I bet you're afraid to ask for a cup of sugar from your neighbors for the sake of not looking weak.

Notice that when Hillary wins, it's only by a few delagates, but when Obama wins it's by a LANDSLIDE...

Keep it clean, Clinton camp, no one is dumb enough to get disqualified for a foul. Your nasty swipes are going to, if they already haven't, into trouble.

February 18, 2008 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |
  11. kgdexter

Don't understand how anyone can suggest that Michigan delegates be counted. No one but Hillary was on the ballot! How in the world could anyone view this as remotely fair? A good number of voters didn't even show up that day because their candidate wasn't available to vote for.

February 18, 2008 07:26 pm at 7:26 pm |
  12. Juan

My question is : This rules were created just for this primaries?
    Did we knew that the so called super delegates could vote for just any body they please?
    Did Mr. Obama was informed of this rules?
    Why he is criying now?
    Or he likes just everything that goes his way?
    What abaot the pledge with Mr Mccainn?
    What abaot the blue america against the red america and that he wants a United state of America? He took it from THE MAN OF THE YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 18, 2008 07:26 pm at 7:26 pm |
  13. CW

I don't understand why Mr. Obama need to explain why he "borrowed" a phrase from someone else, if we as people did not use each other words very few of us would be talking. Words are not original to anyone of us.

February 18, 2008 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  14. darleneintexas

Go Obama clinton will loose texas did u all see what happen In Louisanna which is texas neighbor.

February 18, 2008 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  15. Donna Griffin

TXNS for Hillary, you and your candidate seem desperate. If Obama was behind and trying to use states that the party had agreed to wave their delegagtes to catch up, you and all the Hillary supporters would have been crying foul. That's just why you can't trust them. Same thing in Nevada about having caucuses at the casinos. They agreed over a year ago to have them at casinos and since caucuses turned out to favor Obama then they wanted to take it to court to cry foul. It just make them look cheap and desperate, willing to do anything to get a vote. And to all you who feel that if Obama is the candidate, you will vote for McCain, he deserves you and all of your pathetic, petty, untrustworthy votes. You all are just what the educated under 50 are trying to rid ourselves of. The same ol gray headed meanderings and babbles of the out of touch with reality society. I "HOPE", I "BELIEVE"
    I want "CHANGE"
    YES WE CAN, YES WE WILL-- GO "O"

February 18, 2008 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  16. Connie

How petty can they be? Looking for reasons to undermine Barack Obama confirms my belief that a change is needed in the White House. We are seeing the real Hillary Clinton. Senator Clinton has borrowed words from Senator Obama and used them in her speeches. Did she get his permission? This experience is teaching us something about Senator Clinton's character instead of Senator Obama's character.

February 18, 2008 07:28 pm at 7:28 pm |
  17. Sal

Nafta

Thanks Bill and Hillary

February 18, 2008 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  18. LSD Saint

Democrats 08'

Lets not put McCain in the White House out of spite for one another.

100 years in Iraq, more conservative judges, more of the same Bush crap, please think people before you turn this thing over out of spite...

February 18, 2008 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  19. Texas Voter

I live in Texas, Houston to be exact, no one has called me. If Obama's mamas call, they are going to get an ear full. I have not seen one sign for Obama in this whole area, which covers 168,000 people. Come to think of it haven't seen one in the town I work in either, which is about 250,000 residents, but Hillary Clintons are. Hmm I wonder who does these polls.

February 18, 2008 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  20. Prince

Both campaigns –Obama and Clinton are doing their best to win. But trying to win at all cost is what I don't like, just like Hillary Clinton is trying to hold on to anything or say anything just to get down Obama, who is an intelligent leader to listen to, with his all embracing policies. I think Hillary Clinton needs to grow up, and focus on the issues, and not just raising any kind of dust like a kid to get elected. I have finally come to the conclusion that I can never vote for her as a democrat, even if she succeeds in winning the nomination of the party, which I don't think she will. Enough of all those I must win at all cost tactics. I am fed up with the clintons.

February 18, 2008 07:31 pm at 7:31 pm |
  21. Dan, NJ

Ok, some of you people are just silly. Does a president have to take tests or right papers? Plagerism should not be in a President's vocabulary. Any President should take the advice and good ideas of anyone who has them.

Wondering about where a good idea from is missing the point that its a good idea. Obama is right that this is no big deal.

February 18, 2008 07:31 pm at 7:31 pm |
  22. jd

Billary + Whinning = Obama looks better

February 18, 2008 07:32 pm at 7:32 pm |
  23. Tom Wittmann

Hillary fanatics:

There is no worse blind as one who do not want see !(roughly translated from my firts language)

Oh, sorry !! I am plagirizing Socrtaes (if I remember well!)

TOM

February 18, 2008 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  24. MD

I didn't see a place for comments regarding Michelle Obama's remarks about for the first time in her adult life being "Really Proud" of the United States. Lou Dobbs and his cronies need to wake up!!! Ask any African American with half a back bone if they have always been "Really Proud" of this country. There is so much this country has to be ashamed of with regards to slavery, civil rights, unbridaled prejudice, etc., is it any wonder that this particular turn of events finally gives us something to be rejoice about.. Of course I would never expect Mr. Dobbs to get that. Try walking a mile in our shoes and then ask her to "Explain Herself." In my life time I have certainly heard far worse and 99% of the time we are simply told to "Get Over It". What a joke. Could you please find something of substance to investigate like Senator Clintons poor money management in this campaign. Is that a sign of what we can expect if she is elected???

February 18, 2008 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  25. Mary

Listen to Obama.

I thought Texans would recognize bull.

February 18, 2008 07:37 pm at 7:37 pm |