February 18th, 2008

Huckabee returns to US, goes bowling

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/2008/images/02/18/art.huckabeebowl.ap.jpg caption="Huckabee returned to the country Sunday."] MILWAUKEE, Wisconsin (CNN) – Back on the trail Sunday night after a weekend in the Cayman Islands for a speech, Mike Huckabee and wife Janet greeted supporters at a Milwaukee bowling alley and then challenged the media to ten frames.

After declaring, “It’s been a long time,” Huckabee grabbed a 15lb ball and rolled two spares in four turns. It wasn’t enough to beat the press though, the Huckabees were edged out thanks to strikes from ABC’s producer and CNN photographer Rod Griola.

Both Huckabees reveled in taking the journalists’ equipment and turning it on them as they stepped up to the line. Mrs. Huckabee hoisted one of CNN’s 25lb cameras with impressive ease while the former governor of Arkansas dropped to his knees with the CBS producer’s camera to make sure he got the upward angle as she heaved the ball.

After the Huckabees’ defeat, the candidate picked up his anti-establishment message where he left off on Friday. “What we need to do is make sure the people of Wisconsin recognize that they’re going out and voting their own conscience. Not doing what maybe somebody in Washington is telling them, and not doing what the establishment tells them,” Huckabee told reporters. “This vote is about the future of the Republican Party.”

Bowling alleys, it turns out, are not just good places to pick up votes. Mrs. Huckabee told CNN that on her first date with Huckabee – when her name, ironically, was Janet McCain – they went bowling.

- CNN Political Producer Alexander Marquardt

Filed under: Mike Huckabee
  1. Nathan, Charlotte

I may not agree with his policies, but I do love reading about this guy!

February 18, 2008 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  2. Sharon, Paris, TX

He's not even trying anymore!!

February 18, 2008 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  3. Huckabooom

Oh no! Mike Huckabee goes bowling....Lets persecute him!!!

February 18, 2008 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  4. Lance Silvian

Universal Health Care program should not require any mandates that everyone should buy health insurance. It should be available to anyone who needs medical attention.
    No insurance needed. It can be funded by the same provisions as the medicare and actually replace the medicare program with unviersal health care. The tax funding of the universal health care will be cheaper for the taxpayer then having the same payer pay for medicare and buy his or her own medical insurance as well.
    That is what true universal health care is.
    No rocket scientist needed here. Or for that matter an economist is not needed here either.

February 18, 2008 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  5. gene

I am just checking to see if I can get in here for a comment.

February 18, 2008 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  6. Jacob S

That's Reality – Apparently you're terrible at doing research, then, because Obama's stances on virtually everything are outlined clear as crystal on his website and in debates he's had.

Personally I find it ludicrous that anyone would vote for Huckabee. The man's likable, sure, but his ideas and policies would run the country to ruin. I could never in good faith vote for a man who wants to inject religion into the Constitution.

February 18, 2008 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  7. an old Grandma

Regarding abortion ,killing baby comments:
    God gave each person on this earth agency. The freedom to choose for himself. I personaly do not agree with abortion, I would not have one, but who am I to choose for another person, they have God given freedom to choose, where would I be justified or a government be justified to over rule our God given individual choice.
    Judgement and justice come in the next life.
    It is not for earthlings to try and take over God's job he will do just fine in his judgement.
    Agency was the cause of the war in heaven it is the continued cause of the war on earth.
    Satan's goal is to take away our agency....which is God given.
    Beware of Polly Ticks-Dog Ticks and Sandfleas

February 18, 2008 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  8. Lance Silvian

Ted Kennedy should keep his fat mouth out of the battle between Hillary Clinton and Barak Obama. His statement says that Hillary is a fear mongerer when she tries to point out that Obama's health plan doesn't cover every body. He must have his own personal agenda against Hillary. He is trying prevent her from campaigning on a level playing field. It is personal with him. Nothing to do with valid political argument.

February 18, 2008 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  9. Brian

I would have hoped that if CNN were to engage in this sort of overly chummy behavior with a figure in the news, then you would at least have the good sense not to cover it so prominently.

Your lack of journalistic integrity continues to disappoint.

February 18, 2008 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  10. G

Miracles do happen....let's pray that Huckabee proves to be that miracle! We need him to bring this country back to it's Christian roots. All this ridiculous pluralism and politically correct tolerance is morally and ethically crippling our once great nation.

Obama = Doom

February 18, 2008 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  11. Chris, Springfield MO

Im voting for Obama, however I just get the feeling that this is a good man and I wish him the best.

February 18, 2008 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  12. Bubba

Every true loser has a closet full of bowling trophies.

February 18, 2008 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  13. Loveable One

"Hopefully, the Republican Party has no immediate future in America…not until they clean up their act anyway. They have a lot of explaining to do…from Bush right on down. I am looking forward to a lot of the current (including the ones that already have jumped ship, or have been ousted) administration being brought to justice for their corrpution and lies. "

What a bunch of Hoo Ha! I'm sure that there has never been corruption or lies in the Democratic party.

I mean, I'm not one to vote for a person because of their party, but because of their qualifications. However, if I were going to vote because of party, I would want something more than "corruption" or "lies" to be the determining factor. It's politics. That word in itself has "corruption and lies" written all over it!

February 18, 2008 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  14. TheLeftNut

Moe, NY wrote: I am looking forward to a lot of the current... administration being brought to justice

Justice is too good for them.
    I say we start off with a little waterboarding, then maybe a few consectutive deployments in Iraq, follow it up with a year living in a FEMA trailer then maybe having them readout the names of all the soldiers that have died in Iraq, everyday for the rest of their lives.

February 18, 2008 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  15. Katie

Huckabee is the only candidate not being paid by us–the taxpayers–to run for President. Though the other candidates are having a breeze on the stump while we work to pay their plush healthcare benefits and pay them for the votes they are NOT making on the Senate floor, Huckabee still has to squeeze out money to pay for his mortgage and his healthcare plan. He, in fact, makes speeches to these places in order to pay his bills. And also to pay Barack Obama and Hilary Clinton and John McCain for the service they are NOT rendering to America because they are choosing to lift themselves in the polls rather than fight for what they talk about in the Senate.
    (In fact, Mr. Cafferty of the Situation Room reported recently that John McCain chose not to vote on the Stimulus Package in the Senate. Why, might I ask? Might I suggest that his poll-ratings could have taken a hit had he chosen yay or nay? He exhibited a grand amount of strength and "Straight Talk" there, didn't he? I think not.)
    The Cayman Islands speech was planned months ago, and in my opinion is not news. At the very least, it's news because it shows that Huckabee is the only one still having to work and pay taxes as a regular citizen.
    Even Ron Paul is campaigning on the taxpayers money because he is a congressman.
    In other words, "Marcia, Marcia, Marcia", no public interest group paid for Huck's trip to the Cayman Islands. You could say his mortgage inspired the trip.

February 18, 2008 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  16. Dee

man–suddenly I am turning from Obama supporter to Huckabee supporter..am i going mad...

February 18, 2008 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  17. Rick

To Amanda C.

I so agree with you. It amazes me and it shouldn't, that those who find fault with Mike Huckabee seem to be worried about a man whom they profess doesn't have a chance. Additionally, for all those anti Mike folks out there, grow up, get a life and by all means vote for whomever you choose. Most Huckabee opponents don't have a clue. Poison criticism versus fact, hearsay versus research is not an optimal methods of choosing a political candidate. The more I watch this race the more I'm reminded of the voting process for King and Queen of the Senior Prom. Truly sad. I wish there were more seriously thoughtful offerings about any of these candidates. I'm sure there are stupid anti Obama, Clinton, McCain, Romney, etc commenter’s out there, yet it is my hope that more realistic dialog will take place.

February 18, 2008 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  18. Dave

Google Huckabee and ethics violations.

February 18, 2008 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  19. Mrs. America

Huckabee needs to look inward and ask himself how he can take people's campaign donations just to live the good life. He either knows he is out of the race or is more ignorant than he looks. He should not be taking money from people who give on blind faith, just to have a good time and be a star for awhile. Jesus would not have done that.

February 18, 2008 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  20. Huckabooom

If you can't manage stress on the campaign trail you surely won't in the White House.

Thanks Mike Huckabee for continuing to represent a persecuted voice.

February 18, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  21. La Raza

I'm an Obama supporter, but I do like Huckabee. At least he gives the Rep. a choice. McCain is a stone cold nut! His "my friend" rhetoric simply makes me sick.

February 18, 2008 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  22. Janel, St. Paul, MN

Slow news day, eh?

February 18, 2008 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  23. hemnebob

time to take a bow huck...

get out before you really show your corrupted side!

February 18, 2008 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  24. kathleen, illinois

Bush won because of the evangelicals and religious groups. I wonder about Huckabee real character. I just can't buy it.

February 18, 2008 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  25. Alexander, Kalamazoo, MI

I gotta say that even though I completely disagree with his platform and system of beliefs (I'm an Obama supporter), Huckabee sure is a likable guy. I can't think of any presidential candidate that has been this 'real' (approachable, witty, relaxed etc...) since Bill Clinton in 92'. I don't think he's being ignorant in staying in the race or trying to be some sort of spoiler. I think he is using his influence to shape the campaign (similar to Ron Paul, just more mainstream) and to force McCain to appeal/recognize the conservative base.

February 18, 2008 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |