February 18th, 2008

Huckabee returns to US, goes bowling

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/2008/images/02/18/art.huckabeebowl.ap.jpg caption="Huckabee returned to the country Sunday."] MILWAUKEE, Wisconsin (CNN) – Back on the trail Sunday night after a weekend in the Cayman Islands for a speech, Mike Huckabee and wife Janet greeted supporters at a Milwaukee bowling alley and then challenged the media to ten frames.

After declaring, “It’s been a long time,” Huckabee grabbed a 15lb ball and rolled two spares in four turns. It wasn’t enough to beat the press though, the Huckabees were edged out thanks to strikes from ABC’s producer and CNN photographer Rod Griola.

Both Huckabees reveled in taking the journalists’ equipment and turning it on them as they stepped up to the line. Mrs. Huckabee hoisted one of CNN’s 25lb cameras with impressive ease while the former governor of Arkansas dropped to his knees with the CBS producer’s camera to make sure he got the upward angle as she heaved the ball.

After the Huckabees’ defeat, the candidate picked up his anti-establishment message where he left off on Friday. “What we need to do is make sure the people of Wisconsin recognize that they’re going out and voting their own conscience. Not doing what maybe somebody in Washington is telling them, and not doing what the establishment tells them,” Huckabee told reporters. “This vote is about the future of the Republican Party.”

Bowling alleys, it turns out, are not just good places to pick up votes. Mrs. Huckabee told CNN that on her first date with Huckabee – when her name, ironically, was Janet McCain – they went bowling.

- CNN Political Producer Alexander Marquardt

Filed under: Mike Huckabee
  1. John

Hillary needs to move to kandahar o8

February 18, 2008 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  2. John

Huckabee2012

February 18, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  3. Don

Huckabee continues to 'enjoy watching himself' in the spotlight as he says and continues to split the votes instead of taking a courageous and honorable stand like Romney to help solidity the party and step down and stand behind McCain.

Who really loves and cares about this country, and who is bowling?

Tells a lot about a mans character.

McCain / Romney

February 18, 2008 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  4. johnson

Keep it up Huckabee! Go Huckabee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 18, 2008 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  5. Sebastian Germany

Hey sensible Cape Coral FL!

It´s not a gender specific question: Both men and women are responsible for a choice to carry out abortions. But let nobody think that 34,000,000 (!) women in the US during the last 30 years have been raped or where in life danger and therefore carried out an abortion. Mike Huckabee fights for those babies because there screaming is not heard in the US anymore.Abortion has become a big industry in the US. That´s why so many politicians refrain from addressing this issue – not Huckabee. It´s not about blaming s.o. but about stopping a crime.

February 18, 2008 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  6. John Allan

It's great that Huck can let his hair down and crack jokes. But I want a president that has more substance than style. Huck doesn't have much substance, and would be better off as a talk show host. He's an affable guy, but is not presidential material.

February 18, 2008 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  7. Lt Webb

Huck is the last Republican running so he has our vote.

February 18, 2008 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  8. JohnGalt

This is the candidate of the delusional.
    If you believe humanity was created 5,000 years ago by a supernatural event, stand behind this candidate so we can all see your ignorance.

February 18, 2008 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  9. George from Minneapolis

what a joke hucklebee is.

February 18, 2008 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  10. I like Mike

This guy is great. Doesn't need a telepromtor to say what he is thinking. He speaks his truths. A true Conservative. Perhaps an old Republican. Haven't seen this in years. He is a breath of fresh air. MCCain and Company are threatened by his honesty. They try to narrow the delegate gap. I hope he keeps going until the end. Maybe he will get a Senate seat in the Fall. Wouldn't it be great to see him in our Government? Huck has got to go ahead from me. My vote is for HUCKABEE.

February 18, 2008 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  11. Thinker

I am concerned that although thousands of people did not vote in the Primaries in Florida based on agreed terms "Hillary" and the democratic party; but, now that "SUPER TUESDAY" did not give Hillary Clinton what she expected, she is now requesting that the votes in Florida be counted regardless of those that believed that ethics ruled and stayed home and did not vote. Is this the kind of President that you can trust to uphold the "LAW", "RULE", "POLICY" and "ETHICS"; no wonder we are in war that the people did not authorize.

February 18, 2008 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  12. I like Mike

My vote is for HUCk Huck HUCKABEE. Won't vote for Mc Cain who's song is Bomb Bomb Bomb Iran. Huck for the 44th President of the USof A.

February 18, 2008 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  13. Charlie, Philadelphia, PA

Although I will not vote for him (I'm voting for Obama), I give Huckabee credit. I know I wouldn't be able to stay in a race that show's it's practically impossible to win.

As for his speech in the Cayman Islands, I have no problems with that. Hey, I'd take advantage of my increased public profile while I had the opportunity.

February 18, 2008 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  14. TheLeftNut

ABORTION!

Sebastian Germany & sensible Cape Coral FL discuss abortion

What happens if I'm against abortion AND and I'm against forcing women to have babies that they don't want?

Can't I be against both?

February 18, 2008 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  15. Sandra in Michigan

Mike Huckabee is qualified and justified in continuing his pursuit for the Republican nomination. He has run a clean campaign and he has the qualifications both in experience and in his ideas on how to change America for the better. Since Mike Huckabee has stayed in the race, he has allowed many more Americans thier right to vote and voice thier opinion. A right not to be taken lightly or to be strong armed out of. For those who are making negative comments about Mike Huckabee, I think your time would be bettter spent trying to find something positive to say about the candidate you support. I support Mike Huckabee. A vote for Mike Huckabee is a vote for a better America.

February 18, 2008 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  16. shakkahuna

Mike Huckabee!!!
    He is the only men who can truly bring good change for America!
    He is smart, he is full of humor, he loves God and he knows what he is talking about. And .....he is a winner, he won't give up.
    To all the Huckabee-enemies: the more you hate him, the more you give bad comments about him, the more I am convinced the he will be the next President.

February 18, 2008 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  17. Terry

I love Huckabee's shirt. I actually had intentions of voting for him, I really love his conservative ideas. Since he cannot win I have decided to go with Obama. Obama 08

February 18, 2008 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  18. Dewayne N TN

Stay in Huck, I want to see how many people have no desire to vote for McCain. Read my lipps, McCain can not win against the Dems.

February 18, 2008 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  19. curtis

IM A 29 YEAR AFR AMER MAN AND BELIEVE HUCKABEE TO BE BEST CANIDATE IN THE RACE THE GUY MAKES A LOT OF SENSE THAT CAN'T BE DENIED.

February 18, 2008 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  20. Katie

Terry,
    Huck can win if those who like Huckabee best actually voted for him. Don't believe anyone who tells you who you're GOING to vote for. Vote for who you want. You're an independent American, aren't you? Don't be fooled into obeying someone campaigning against your man just because they say your man won't win. You have the power to choose who wins and who doesn't.
    If you like Obama best, that's great, and I hope you go vote for him. But if you truly like Huckabee best, your vote will help him be elected. Be independent and make your mind up for yourself, without obeying the dictations of pundits and politicians. Who are they anyway, to think they have a voice worth more than yours or mine?
    I thought Huck wouldn't have won my state, but I voted for him anyway. I'm from Iowa, and he definitely won my state.
    I thought he wouldn't win Georgia, Alabama, Tennessee, or Kansas, but I made calls to people in those states for Huckabee anyway. And he won those states. The polls said he wouldn't win in those states, but we supporters did what we could to get the word out about Mike, and he won in those states. And we haven't stopped.
    We still have a voice, if we're willing to use it.
    Please choose Huckabee if you like him best, and your vote may give your state to Huckabee too. Thanks, Terry, for your honesty.

February 18, 2008 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  21. keep us safe texas

IF A DEM WINS THE WHITE HOUSE...........I WILL PREDICT A TERROIST ATTACK IN THREE YEARS , IN THE USA

MARK MY WORDS

February 18, 2008 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  22. Truth Squad

Check out Truth Squad on Mike Huckabee's web site and then make your judgements on the ethics violations.

February 18, 2008 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  23. Nicholas

Great to hear the Huckabee has not given up on America!! We need Him!!

February 18, 2008 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  24. Steve

I agree with keep us safe texas. I worry about any candidate who tells the world that we need to bring our troops home. Terrorists will claim victory and make plans on how to attack a defeated nation who will not come after them. I fear the possibility of this happening.

February 18, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  25. wwjj

I am a Huckabee supporter because I believe he has the most integrity, intelligence and creative answers to the problems of our nation, like health care, education, and the economy. The fair tax alone would be great for our country!!!!

There are so many misconceptions and lies out there about Huckabee, all stemming from an election year in Arkansas, when the largely Democratic state tried to find dirt on him to keep him out of office. It didn't work, as he was re-elected twice. Anyone can bring charges to an ethics committee, but that doesn't make them true. The bottom line is none stuck.

The story of his son, who went on to become an eagle scout, has been concocted. There was a mangy dog that appeared "mad" and attacking. Huckabee never tried to stop any investigation or to protect his son from consequences of the incident.

Huckabee did not pardon a rapist. That was done by the parole board appointed by Bill Clinton and Guy Tucker before him. As for his other decisions as governor, he looked carefully at each of the many cases and followed his judgment after studying all the information, rather than just doing what was "in his best political interests." I respect that.

Over a million abortions a year is about right, because there have been 40 million since Roe vs Wade in Sept. 1973. To those who say a woman should have a choice, what about her unborn baby's choice? Someone needs to speak up for these precious ones. The question is when does life begin? If it begins at conception, then it is murder when a baby is aborted. Have you looked at the detail in advanced 4D ultrasounds of today? It breaks my heart to think 40 million of these tiny lives have been snuffed out since Roe vs Wade.

Go to mikehuckabee.com and judge for yourself about his record as governor and his ideas for our country. Read his stand on the issues and listen to his videos and I think you too will see his intelligence, sincerity and leadership abilities. Our country needs Mike Huckabee!!!

February 18, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |