February 19th, 2008

A big night for Obama, McCain

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/2008/POLITICS/02/19/feb19.contests/art.mccain.wis.gi.jpg caption="The race’s recent victors won again last night."] (CNN) - Sens. Barack Obama and John McCain will win in Wisconsin, CNN projects.

Sen. John McCain is looking to pick up more delegates as he inches toward his party's nomination.

The victory marks the ninth consecutive win for Obama over rival Hillary Clinton since a split-decision on Super Tuesday two weeks ago.

"The change we seek is still months and miles away," Obama said Tuesday night in Houston, Texas.

"It is going to take more than big rallies. It is going to require more than rousing speeches ... it is going to require something more because the problem that we face in America today is not the lack of good ideas. It's that Washington has become a place where good ideas go to die," he said.

Obama and Clinton have turned their attention to Ohio and Texas, which hold contests on March 4. Early voting began in Texas on Tuesday.

In the Republican race, Wisconsin gives McCain at least 13 more delegates; 24 more delegates are to be awarded to the winner of each congressional district.

The remaining three GOP delegates are unpledged Republican National Committee members.

As Obama has emerged as the front-runner in the Democratic race, McCain has increasingly directed criticism toward him.

"I will fight every moment of every day in this campaign to make sure Americans are not deceived by an eloquent but empty call for change," McCain told supporters Tuesday night.

Full story

1. SlapStick, Florida

Hmmm maybe Edwards will come out and stand for change.

Obama 08

February 19, 2008 11:10 pm at 11:10 pm |
  2. james

Obama should end with about 500,000 votes vs maybe 200,000 for McCain. Who's the real winner there? The majority still voted against McCain's fear mongering.

February 19, 2008 11:11 pm at 11:11 pm |
  3. Jason Batts

I believe this is the most interesting political event every. I am a 25 year old computer specialist (no wife, no children) and honestly I never paid any attention to the anything "political" in previous events. I find myself following the trail of my favorite candidate everywhere I go. Here is the secret: With all the call in and vote reality shows on television today most of my generation glues themselves to their television for 30-60 minutes out of their leisure time, work time, family time, or will make time, then turn around and grab their internet enable cell phones, text their vote, cross their fingers, and hope their selection makes it to the next round. Similar practices are being entertained during this electoral event. These candidates gain the attention of the young and it’s Dancing with the Stars all over again. Record voter turn outs are a direct reflection of our call in/text in and vote culture that is quickly overtaking the world.
    I, who can only speak for himself, understand that no matter which Presidential candidate actually makes it to the White House, gas prices will never fall below $2.00 a gallon, health care cost will continue to rise and the lottery is the only hope of a decent retirement for my generation. Be that what it may, I really enjoy watching the way the candidates manipulate, bend and twist, and flat out lie to get votes. Amazing how these candidates change focus based directly on who they are speaking to, quickly to change the direction of their focus depending on the direction of the wind. Thru basic (very basic) research of the former presidents there is key element to take the trophy, surprisingly these candidates with their millions of dollars and their highly educated staff just haven’t clued in on it yet . . . . “What a race, are you watching? No, channel 3. I can’t believe they said that! Call the store, order more wings, while the debate is under review, they will be here before half time. Sure, my house for Hawaii and Wisconsin, well watch on high def!”

February 19, 2008 11:13 pm at 11:13 pm |
  4. Frank D

McCain Has a military solution to every problem. Go MaCain!

February 19, 2008 11:13 pm at 11:13 pm |
  5. BM

February 19, 2008 11:14 pm at 11:14 pm |
  6. Love Hill

I see all the exit polls.
    And none mention the percentage of Rushlimbaugh Republicans voting for Obama.
    Rush had on his website an Obama ad, asking them to go defeat Hillary.
    Why don't you talk about that?

February 19, 2008 11:15 pm at 11:15 pm |
  7. Tim W. Ohio

Dear Senator Edwards,

Please save my party from self destruction while they fantasize about change and vision, help bring them back to reality before they permanently destroy all you and Hillary have worked for your entire lives. Please don't just jump in with the many, show them all that experience does matter after all!!!

AND

All who crow over Obama. Remember this - the media has treated your man with kid gloves and many even adore him. Get ready now that the have canonized him, they will rip him apart. Build 'em up than tear him down. I've been in Democratic politics for 35 years and I hope I'm wrong, but it is an eternity between now and the convention. I hope super delegates stay uncommitted so that after the media destroys the candidate of change, they can bring our party back to reality. I was a delegate in 1980 in NYC and if we had had super delegates then we never would have had a Jimmy Carter second term attempt and then Ronald Reagan. My party is now doing what it always does better than any political party and that is snatch defeat out of the jaws of victory!

"The cause endures, the work goes on and the dream shall never die" and I quote– Ted Kennedy

February 19, 2008 11:19 pm at 11:19 pm |
  8. Tom

"Bad night for McCain when I see the comparison between Democrat and Republican turnouts."

72% of the Republicans have voted for Obama... They WANT McCane vs. Obama... When the General election comes around here is what will happen, Clinton supporters (true Dems) will vote for Obama because the party failed them (not counting states and letting republicans vote) and will vote McCane or stay home... and the "Obama" supporters will go back to the republican party and thats how McCane will win the general election by a landslide!

February 19, 2008 11:22 pm at 11:22 pm |
  9. GBB

Since Obama is promising everything else, I'd like to know if he plans a movement for equal rights for women. He has daughters, I'd like to know his thoughts and plans. Does he "hope" that one day one of his daughters can grow up to be present. Another thing that's evident is that it's still acceptable to beat up on women in this country. All have to admit that it's very one-sided and Hillary is still taking the hits and people are holding back and not pressing Obama, why is that?

February 19, 2008 11:23 pm at 11:23 pm |
  10. Delegate Count

Ha ha, I am watching Paul Begala blow his top about Clinton's loss tonight and veiled anger at the analysis of her Titanic loss. Clinton is finally tasting the dessert they've long served at their table and it tastes bad, doesn't it?

McCain: Can't wait for Obama to bury you in the debates. I am sure your plan of camping out in Iraq for 100 years is wildly popular. LOL.

February 19, 2008 11:23 pm at 11:23 pm |
  11. vivian

Shhhhh. Hillary is a closet case obama mama! she is mezmorized, elctirfied, stupified and intoxified by his awesome speeches. She is clueless. I am not sure if she knows he won. She never congratulated him and never thanked her voters in Wisconsin. Do you think she may have missed the whole thing? oh boy, her true colors are her only problem. No campaign manager can fix that!

February 19, 2008 11:24 pm at 11:24 pm |
  12. Erwin Stoessel

How long has McCain been in congress?What changes has he made?So what makes us think he is about to make a difference.He is a part of the old establishment Would not vote him for dog catcher.Time for him to go to pasture and spend the remaining years with his family.He is "has been"

February 19, 2008 11:26 pm at 11:26 pm |
  13. Mark from Hollywood

Keep HILL-BILLy out of the White House. They did enough damage last visit. Vote Obama '08

February 19, 2008 11:27 pm at 11:27 pm |
  14. Charles Standard

A telling difference between the Democrat candidates and John McCane is shown by the people in the crowds around them. This is especially so tonight. All of McCane's supporters at his winning speech in Wisconsin all had frowns on thier faces while the crowds for Obama had all smiles in Houston.

February 19, 2008 11:31 pm at 11:31 pm |
  15. Micahel Guinn, Ventura, CA

It is great that we won another vicotry tonight in Wisconsin-and I for one am pleading with BOTH Obama and Clinton supporters to cut the insults down. As an Obama supporter, I think the anti-Clinton insults go way too far-and the Hillary supporters who swear they'll vote for McCain are not really serious (I hope!)
    I worked and supported Bill Clinton twice- and I am proud that our Party has two brilliant candidates.
    A sequel to George W. Bush will NOT help this country. Barack and Hillary BOTH want a better America! Let's not give this election to the GOP by insulting and ripping apart each other!
    It's time to act like DEMOCRATS- Not the other guys!

February 19, 2008 11:31 pm at 11:31 pm |
  16. Reuben

That was low of McCain to talk about Obama like that.Hes not going to win like that its just not going to happen when he faces Obama.We dont need another bush that calls people names so he doesnt look so bad.STAY TO THE PROBLEMS WE DONT HAVE TIME TO WASE WE NEED CHANGE!

February 19, 2008 11:32 pm at 11:32 pm |
  17. LMR in Mo.

I am an older white female democrat and if Obama gets the democratic nomination I will not vote in November.I once said I would vote for McCain, but I guess I will have to be called a flip flopper because, I can't bear the thought of helping someone get in that is going to give us more of the Bush policies. I won't have to though because Obama will be swift boated and shredded apart..Look what happened to John Kerry and ,he is a seasoned politician . Oprah won't be able to help him or the other black mania that is going on now. I do think Hillary will beable to handle the swift boaters Go Hillary. LMR

February 19, 2008 11:34 pm at 11:34 pm |
  18. crat3

Preaching hope, inspiration, change, with no substance, no specifics, no media challenge, and media fawning, Obama is instructive of how demagogues rise to power to inflict horrors on humanity.

February 19, 2008 11:34 pm at 11:34 pm |
  19. Carol

CNN, You NEW PEOPLE, are blind. OBAMA have you ALL fooled.
    When are you going to wake up. You are all negative, she is the ony one with her eyes wide open. I will wear the tee shirt I TOLD YOU SO. YOU are puting McCain in the White House.

Carol

February 19, 2008 11:35 pm at 11:35 pm |
  20. Anonymous

It is so sad that most people in US are pursauded by the "hypnotic word" of obama which is "CHANGE". I'm on the other side of the world but the political tension in US reverberates worldwide. Obama is indeed a good and effective communicator but he hasn't explained what are the detailed "CHANGES" that kept on talking in his speeches. Is he talking of changes for the betterment of US people or he's just talking of changes to pursaude people. That is why he can't make a clear picture of the changes that he wants to happen.

Well, I can't blame these people who are moved and blinded of the charisma of OBAMA because he is a new face of national politics. But will his charm helps those ordinary people? Will his words be put into action?

February 19, 2008 11:35 pm at 11:35 pm |
  21. Rob

The facts are simple. No one but an angry core of Hillary supporters want her to be the nominee. Preen and whine all you want. In the end Hillary can not win. I am a solid liberal Democrat. Went door to door for Kerry (god help us all for that choice), my first choice this cycle was Biden. My last choice Hillary. She is divisive, her negatives are too high, her politics suspect (if you are a liberal you will know what I am talking about), she is the ONLY force that can unite the republican party, she is a winner take all the party and the country come second candidate. If she wins it will be by sheer manipulation which will satisfy her and her self satisfied angry at the world core, and in the process she will doom this country.

February 19, 2008 11:36 pm at 11:36 pm |
  22. Linda Li

Obama won Wisconsin with a larger margin over Clinton than McCain did over Huckabee.

Obama won every educational bracket except "High school graduate or less".

What does that tell you?

February 19, 2008 11:41 pm at 11:41 pm |
  23. Gary

I agree with Michael, Hillary Clinton is a fine person and would make a good President, if she wins the nomination she would still have my vote.. however, Barack is my choice and the one I really want to see step into the oval office next year, to turn the page on the Bush and Clinton dynasties once and for all and to start a brand new day. I think that's a goal worth fighting for. But there is no need for mud slinging and insults in this.

Yes we can, and we are, and we're winning!

February 19, 2008 11:46 pm at 11:46 pm |
  24. kathleen, illinois

Congratulations to Obama 2008. Thank you Wisconsin
    voters. Thank you Wisconsin voters and I believe Hillary's
    thank you will be coming any moment to you. The snow
    was up to your doors and you came across to your country.
    Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 19, 2008 11:47 pm at 11:47 pm |
  25. Lee

This is what Republican leaders, Republican voters, and the Media (Rich people and Republicans stand behind the Media) wanted. They've got what they wanted so far: Keep Hillary Clinton out of the general election, so John McCain can easily win the Presidency in November.

Wake up Democrats!. Don't you think that Republicans who have sided with Obama really think that they admired him and will vote for him in November against their Republican Nominate?. Give me a break!. All of Democrats who have voted for Obama are being fool and cheated by Republicans!.

Republicans, you have got what you wanted so far and if you can continue to do that, MR. JOHN MCCAIN WILL GET MY VOTE in November!.

Until then, Hillary, continue to fight against that flip-flop candidate and speech stealer, Obama!!!!

February 19, 2008 11:47 pm at 11:47 pm |