February 19th, 2008

McCain targets Obama

CNN

Watch Sen. McCain's entire Wisconsin victory speech.

(CNN) – Sen. John McCain used his Wisconsin victory speech to train his sights on Sen. Barack Obama, who scored his ninth straight win against Sen. Hillary Clinton Tuesday night.

“I will fight every moment of every day in this campaign to make sure Americans are not deceived by an eloquent call for change,” McCain said, referring to Obama’s key theme and much-discussed style of oratory.

“It’s no more than an eloquent but empty call for change that promises no more than a holiday from history and a return to false promises and failed policies of a tired philosophy that trusts in government more than the people,” said McCain.

“My friends, I’m not the youngest candidate - but I am the most experienced,” McCain also said, taking another shot at Obama.

–CNN Associate Producer Martina Stewart

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain • Wisconsin
  1. kathleen, illinois

I am tired of hearing, MY Friends. McCain's friends remain
    with the cronies of Bush, Cheney at the White House. Well,
    and Cindy.

February 19, 2008 11:53 pm at 11:53 pm |
  2. WP

McCain is out of touch.

February 19, 2008 11:53 pm at 11:53 pm |
  3. kathleen, illinois

Experience, Blah, Blah Blah. I have respect for McCain
    because he served out country but that's all.

OBAMA 2008

February 19, 2008 11:55 pm at 11:55 pm |
  4. Reuben

“My friends, I’m not the youngest candidate — but I am the most experienced.Yes we know your old but can you change with the times can you keep up with what the people want because i dont think so the people want change.and your not willing to change the war and you look like a soon to be bush?

February 19, 2008 11:55 pm at 11:55 pm |
  5. Chezburgha (Independent)

Poor McCain. He is a genuine war hero. But he has tied himself to the failed policies of his man: George Bush. Talk about failed promises and deception.

I would consider voting for him if he didn't pander so much to those right wing wackjobs. If Hillary is the nominee – I'll consider John – if he'll accept an independent, but I don't think that's allowed in the intolerant republican party.

February 19, 2008 11:57 pm at 11:57 pm |
  6. Texas4Obama

The way that Mrs. McCain ROLLED her eyes when Senator McCain referenced 'change' (Obama) was not very befitting of a wife of a Senator.

Americans for Obama '08

February 19, 2008 11:58 pm at 11:58 pm |
  7. spieling

wow... it's on now! Here come the BIG guns... but all in all.. '"Yes We Can".. Gobama '08

February 19, 2008 11:58 pm at 11:58 pm |
  8. observer#1

AntiChrist comes to mind when I hear Obama.

February 20, 2008 12:02 am at 12:02 am |
  9. LaLainKCMO

If McCain is soooo sure he's going to win, then why does he resort to such low blows?

Run a clean campaign – slogans or not, that's what we want.

Act like a leader, John, if that's what you want to be.

February 20, 2008 12:11 am at 12:11 am |
  10. Marlon

And all this is ridiculous. McCain hasn't even listened to the policy speeches Obama has made concerning specific proposals to help students, to empower the poor, to help create jobs and strengthen the U.S. infrastructure, to heighten the role of community service, to mend our international image, or anything else – he's just riding the spin Clinton's created around Obama "being in the promises business, not the solutions business." Empty call? There's plenty of meat in Obama's call for change, but acknowledging it wouldn't fit with McCain's political message. He's commenting on a media spin about Obama, not commenting on Obama himself.

I hate politicians like that, hate political games that politicians play with national media spin like that. McCain's (and Clinton as well) trying to turn a strength of Obama's, that he puts a lot of focus on inspiring people to get excited in an otherwise uninspiring, rather frightening political time, into a weakness – that he doesn't spend enough time looking gruff and experienced.

Because it's all about _looks_. When someone says, "I am the most experienced candidate," what they're really saying is, "I look like the most experienced candidate because I'm no-nonsense serious." If they really want to show their experience, they should talk more about their ideas and visions and less about themselves and why they're so great.

February 20, 2008 12:12 am at 12:12 am |
  11. Mace

I liked John McCain before he became a puppet for the Republican party. The independent fire he had in 2000 was what made me want to vote for him then. Now, he just seems to be playing on the personal attacks and divisiveness which seemed to be the staple of the Karl Rove years in Washington. I think Hillary realized all too late that going negative against Obama would not work. Doesn't McCain see the same for his own political future? He is a strong enough candidate to rest on his own laurels...now the question becomes, why won't he?

February 20, 2008 12:18 am at 12:18 am |
  12. Steve

I bet many Americans are stupid or naive enough to buy a pig in a poke!

Great speeches do not great achievements make.

February 20, 2008 12:18 am at 12:18 am |
  13. OBAMA 08

He can target him all he wants.He is a pretender to a past throne.
    He could not beat George Bush.Sure as heck cant beat Obama.The scare tactics he is using no longer work..We have lost more Americans to his,Bush's, and Hillary's 100 year war than we lost on Sept.11;
    not to mention
    30,000 broken minds and bodies of our children.We have lost our
    honor in the world and we are about to loose the economic race,which we were in a position to win.We have the Bush and Clinton cronies to
    thank and ourselves for electing them.

February 20, 2008 12:31 am at 12:31 am |
  14. Jonathan Forbes--Independent

You've said it perfect, McCain. Obama has simply been sounding an eloquent but empty call for change.

Let us all vote for McCain in 2008

February 20, 2008 12:32 am at 12:32 am |
  15. val davydov, ma

Excellent statement by McCain. He is absolutely right.

February 20, 2008 12:36 am at 12:36 am |
  16. Fairfax, VA

No thanx McCain..

America dont need a president like u!! a figure like Bush..
    its alrdy a headace with Bush being a president..
    McCain ur going down

Obama 08

February 20, 2008 12:38 am at 12:38 am |
  17. sean Detroit

keep swingin' old man, maybe you'll give him a cold

February 20, 2008 12:39 am at 12:39 am |
  18. Beacon

And let the machine roll........ This is what Obama will face if he wins. The republicans knew of this all along. Yet, Obama thought they were in his corner.

What a waste....

February 20, 2008 12:41 am at 12:41 am |
  19. autumnheart

I totally agree with MC.

February 20, 2008 01:00 am at 1:00 am |
  20. Chris

Sounds like an Ol' Fogy to me talking to us whippers–snappers!!! His 'Rally' looks like a commercial for AARP. Is it just me but is there something just funny about CINDY!!!

February 20, 2008 01:08 am at 1:08 am |
  21. Sam

Obama has only said good things about McCain as a person. I hope McCain can run an above board campaign. But regardless, it is about Change and McCain is now following Bush politics instead of trying to unite the country like Obama.

February 20, 2008 01:10 am at 1:10 am |
  22. Bess

These remarks are the epitome of spin. Surely McCain knows that but it seems he has nothing else to say. He is basically calling the American people stupid sheep. His egotistical disdain for Americans is really appalling. It amazes me; the Obama campaign is melting the masks and exposing the beast politic as corrupted. We all knew it, but who would think they would hang themselves before our very eyes?

February 20, 2008 01:15 am at 1:15 am |
  23. Independent

Shush grandpa! At least it is a message of change. What's your message? Whatever papa and baby Bush tell you to say!

February 20, 2008 01:47 am at 1:47 am |
  24. James Recto, Virginia

Man, I am afraid Sen. McCain will smoke Obama if he ever wins the nominee. Then again, McCain is so much better than Obama so why will disgruntled Democrats vote for Obama if they know McCain can do a better job even knowing he is a Republican. Hillary is the only person who can match Sen. McCain fair and square and they are both professional candidates. So why vote for less when you can vote for more – Sen. Clinton for President!

February 20, 2008 01:51 am at 1:51 am |
  25. Don (Houston, TX)

Is this the platform he's going to run on? Are you serious?

February 20, 2008 01:54 am at 1:54 am |