February 19th, 2008

Wisconsin voters brave cold; Hawaii voters enjoy warm weather

(CNN) - Voters in the latest battlegrounds for the Democratic presidential nomination faced very different treks to polls and caucuses Tuesday. Wisconsin voters braved single-digit temperatures and a windchill advisory while Hawaii caucus-goers expected to enjoy temperatures in the 80s.

Both groups will shape the course of the tight race between Democratic Sens. Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton, while Wisconsin and Washington state voters could help Sen. John McCain finally knock his last major rival out of the Republican race.

Full story

Filed under: Hawaii • Wisconsin
  1. George Glymph

I find it very insteresting that the National Teacher's Union is forcing some of it employees to work on the Clinton campaign in Texas, Ohio, regardless who the employee is supporting. I would think the Teachers that pay the Union to support they causes are not happy campers that there money is being spent on a candidate that might not win the White House, then what do you do; plead with the winner.
    I understand the Union is supporting Ms. Clinton with money, but when you force employees to campaign for her could cause her some problems if there heart is not into it.

George
    Columbia, SC

February 19, 2008 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  2. Sarah L, Fayetteville, AR

I sincerely hope the Wisconsin and Hawaii voters aren't fooled by the petty attacks on Obama. I hope they are looking to Clinton's ability to implement her plans. Why didn't we have healthcare after the 90's? Why wasn't there a green sector after the 90's? Why wasn't there an end to the influence of special interests after the 90's? If she's going to run a campaign based on her experience, then look to what she was able to accomplish before–not a whole lot of anything.

February 19, 2008 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  3. Maxine

Kathleen from Illinois hit it right-the day before voters vote; smear campaigns begin on the Clinton side. If all they can get out of his record is that he quotes people with getting permission-but didn't annouce it and Michelle is also being misquoted-listen to the whole thing. Then we get what we deserve with the Clintons, yes thats right both of them. Bill didn't help Washington states economy, you see what we thought of his ideas for econmical growth, I mean her ideas. Same as his...........

February 19, 2008 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  4. JACKIE

And what about this issue of the election machines not working in New York, where precincts in the Harlem area showed not one single vote for Obama. Suspcious? Why aren't the media all over this one? The small article I read stated that election officials are working to determine what went wrong, but won't have results for weeks.

February 19, 2008 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  5. James, California

Just vote. Don't make a fuss about a lack of perfect people to lead this imperfect nation. There is not a candidate alive who has not used someone else's words without noting it. (The Clintons depend on this sort of non-sense). The best thing to do is give the person you're quoting credit so that there are no bulls*#t claims of stealing someone else's words. Obama knows this and has admitted as much. If this disqualifies the guy in your opinion then vote for someone else.

One thing about Obama; he makes it clear that nothing will happen without the people's help. Hillary talks about being in the game for 35 years but I can't think of one thing that she's done that didn't first benefit the Clintons.

J

February 19, 2008 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  6. James

The brilliant Senator Clinton made a marvelous speech in Madison today which drew important distinctions between her and Obama; Senator Clinton offering solutions to important and difficult problems confronting our society, versus Obama's rhetoric devoid of significant substance. For example, Obama whips up the crowd with talk of a free college education, and yet ignores the vast array of help that college age students already have such as a Work-Study Program, which I used to obtain a MSEE degree from the University of California at Berkeley. Whereas, Senator Clinton proposes a Industrial Policy approach to buy $50 billion of wind and solar power by removing the $50 billion tax break from Big Oil which they no longer need!! Obama does not mention the possibly $150 billion price tag on his free college education idea, or how he plans to get it paid for, rather than simply letting the upcoming college student tap into the existing student loan program or Work-Study Programs.

February 19, 2008 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  7. Voted for Hillary in WI

I’m confused. If the claim is that Senator Obama will “unite” across party, across race, across gender, etc., why does the media keep referring to the possible civil war within the Democratic Party if the Michigan and Florida votes are seated and if the super delegates have to make the decision in the end. Is this an example of the unity he will create in the White House if it comes to that? Not off to a very good unifying start, I’d say.

I’ve heard it said that if Hillary receives the nomination that there’s a good possibility Obama would be asked to run as Vice-President for various reasons. Conversely, if he receives the nomination it’s not likely that Hillary would be asked to run as Vice-President because she is too divisive. I’m trying to put two and two together here and it’s not adding up. Who’s the divisive one?????

February 19, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  8. suzanne

I , too , am a Canadian like the blogger above but I live now in the U.S. and have recently become a citizen here so that I can vote. If you don't actually LIVE here, it is hard to appreciate the huge issues of everyday life here. No access to health care for millions..unlike when I lived in Canada..and Hillary totally failed at her attempts to improve health care. Obama obtained health care for THOUSANDS in Illinois when he was still just a state senator. His judgement is excellent from everything from the misguided war in Iraq, to the latest economic policies he has formulated . I know that my family in Canada has suffered terribly because of NAFTA...one of the many Clinton debacles. I am a 65 year old nurse...and I don't have any TEENAGE friends, but I do know that my friends are long past being impressed by rock stars, are ALL supporting Obama. They and I feel insulted by such of trivalizing Senator Obama with trite and false descriptions of his base. He has a very broad appeal to all ages and groups, as shown by his amazing victories in places like Idaho.Living here, under years of Clinton and Bush flawed administrations, certainly clarifies that the MANY achievements already of Senator Obama( have you visited his website at barackobama.com, Pro Clinton Canadian??) makes him the only clear choice at this time in history.

Former Toronto Nurse,Suzanne

February 19, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  9. hip-hip-horray!!!!!

This is the year of change and the tides are turning for Hillary Clinton. She is not doing anything that Obama isn't doing. It's called politics. You are so right when you called it the groupies from college and all the emailing they do. Obama needs more experience. He'll have that it 8 more years. The only person I will flock to is my Lord Jesus Christ.
    I will honor no false idol. Hillary.........you have my vote and the vote of my entire family incluuding our friends.

February 19, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  10. Lionel, Texas

Hillary is a hypocrite! She points the finger a Barack, then copies everything he does. Hopefully America will exercise wisdom by looking at Hillary's lack of character. We were fooled once by Bush...let's wake up America!

February 19, 2008 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  11. BB IL

We need to have a clip from the debate quoting Hillary " garnishing wages" PAYING FOR HER UNIVERSAL HEALTH CARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 19, 2008 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  12. Liz

I was a Hillary and Bill Clinton supporter, until she began to focus
    on slinging cheap shots at Obama. She actually pushed me to research his issues and actually listen to his vision.
    He is amazing and just what this country needs. The reports this morning from her campaign about Obama plagarizing his speeches were enough for me. Thanks for the push to support Obama!

February 19, 2008 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  13. Matt in WI

I live in Janesville WI and work in Madison, WI. While there are Clinton supporters out there, every person I've spoken to are voting for Barack Obama. At first, I thought it might just be the people I hang out with and have the same views, but it doesn't matter who I ask, the answer is always Obama. This includes under 30, over 30, black, white, hispanic. Even the High Schools in Janesville allowed thier 18 y/o seniors to go out and vote during school hours!
    He has had a large impact with his message in this area. Hillary, on the other hand, has left a bad taste in peoples mouth with her attack ads. Its not needed to run a good campaign here, and its affecting her negatively. Negative ads and fear mongering are turning the young voters away from her.

February 19, 2008 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  14. Jack

Vote for the person with the best ideas, not the best speeches (plagiarized or not).

Obama has come more of a rockstar than a U.S. President.

His speeches are great and he talks about uniting people and bringing people together, but he rarely goes into HOW he is going to make that happen?

How can you bring people together on divisive issues like abortion, stem-cell research, and global warming where there are really only two major viewpoints that completely oppose each other?

WIll Obama be able to take a stand on controversial issues even though it means upsetting one side? In the Illinois state senate, he made it seem with his "Present votes" that he'd rather not take a stand than upset some people.

Obama may change his judgment, but how can I be sure of that? All I can be sure of is his past record.

February 19, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  15. OMG

Politics 101 – campaign in trouble, attack on the double

and don't anyone try and lift my line : – )

i just hope the attacks backfire on hillary

February 19, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  16. Ron

Again another platitude of Hillary's experience. What experience. Also, what makes everyone think that if Hillary wins this time, she will only serve 4 years and then let Obama bne president. What qualifies as seasoning? If fighting with republicans, then that is right. And given that, why would it be any different if she gets elected. I would like to know just how they propose to get their solutions implamented and what compromises they are willing to make to their proposals. No matter who is elected, they need others to get things done and just fighting will not do it.

February 19, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  17. dorina/ WISCONSIN

WE NEED CHANGE , OBAMA IS THE ONE. WE CAN DOIT YES WE CAN.

February 19, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  18. Ginny

I am 48 years old, a democrat and extremely proud of my country.
    No matter how much I hate what is going on with our government(Bush years, war in Iraq) I still have a very strong pride for my country. I have taught my children that they are very lucky to have been born in such a wonderful country. A country where they can be what they want to be, say what they want to say and basically be free. How Michelle Obama could say that she has never been proud to be an American in her entire adult life just astounds me. A woman married to a man in politics must have a strong pride for this country. How could she say this?? Makes you wonder what her husband really thinks – pretty words – what are his real thoughts.

February 19, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  19. cj, washington DC

What will HRC come up with next? Where is HRC beef? Desperation is such an awful thing. It is sad.

February 19, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  20. WOMEN OF NEBRASKA FOR OBAMA

Mr. Obama has proven his capability and his intellect. Furthermore, he has not caved to pressure to do that which is popular. He has held steadfastly to his ethical principles.

February 19, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  21. AC, Flint, MI

Voting is very important...many lost their lives for people to have the right to vote. For years and years blacks and women did not have the right to vote.

So, people must go to the polls and vote in record numbers because of the sacifice many have made. Don't let nothing turn you around! Go and Vote!

I'm supporting Obama for President for "real" change.

February 19, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  22. david

GO HILLARY!!

February 19, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  23. Larry Dickman - IA

Hey Canada:

What has Senator Clinton done that has prepared her to be the President of the US? Living in the White House does not mean she is the right person. If that is the case, then why doesn't Chelsea run or Laura Bush?

Second, what has she accomplished? Please let me know?

Third – If Obama has charisma to move people to make change, didn't some other US Presidents do the same thing? I think there names were Kennedy, I think the other one was Bill Clinton.

It would be political suicide if Obama was to win the Presidency and not do what he said he wanted to do.

Those College students happen to be people who are concerned what is happening and they are the FUTURE decision makers of the US and will dictate who gets into office and policies in the future.

Next – Please stay out of US elections. Americans in General stay out of yours, so please stay out of ours.

February 19, 2008 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  24. Veronica

As a former resident of Hawaii I don't see how Barack Obama is favored there because he was born and raised there. Hillary Clinton was born and raised in Illinois but she did not with the state. It seems like the media is in Obama's corner. I have to say that FOX News has been the most fair to Hillary Clinton.

February 19, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  25. Pro Obama

No matter what d Hillary do ; it's going to be OBAMA – over with old time politics and WELCOME to New Generational Politics for a better WORLD.
    GO OBAMA, OBAMA, OBAMA.......................................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 19, 2008 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |