February 20th, 2008

Analysis: Obama continues to chip away at Clinton's base

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/2008/POLITICS/02/20/feb19.analysis/art.obamatex.gi.jpg caption=" Sen. Barack Obama is swaying away the core parts of Sen. Hillary Clinton's voter base."](CNN) - If Ohio and Texas weren't already must-win states for Sen. Hillary Clinton, they certainly are now.Sen. Barack Obama continued his winning streak since Super Tuesday two weeks ago, picking up his ninth state in a row.But as significant as Obama's accelerating momentum is how he is increasingly swaying voters that Clinton could count on at the beginning of February.While Obama has been solidifying his base of younger, college-educated, higher-paid voters, he has steadily been chipping away Clinton's base of blue-collar, older, working-class voters.

- CNN's John Helton

Full story

1. True Democrat SC

Thanks Casey!!! I agree! I did support Clinton as well, but I am willing to get behind whoever wins the Democratic Nomination!

To all Democrats: Let's put the petty bickering aside and unite behind the Democratic Nominee!!!!

February 20, 2008 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  2. Sandi from Grand Rapids, Michigan

Barack Obama is the real thing. The more people hear him and see him...the more they like him and trust him. He represents change and hope. Barack Obama has run an inspiring and flawless campaign. And he's smart enough to keep working, state by state... not taking anything for granted. Hillary just can't compete with that. (Neither can John McCain.)

February 20, 2008 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  3. David C. In Indianapolis

It would seem there's a new sheriff in town, and his name is Barack Obama..

February 20, 2008 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  4. Terry, Colorado

thanks for being polite Casey. It's not often we here positives from a Clinton supporter.

OBAMA 08

February 20, 2008 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  5. Jen

Go Obama Go!! Its time for a change. Time to end recycling in the whitehouse. Bush and Clinton era needs to stay history. One hurt our economy, the other humiliated our country as well as ignored information that killed many of our people. Its time for someone that shows tact, poise, and new ideas. Its time to give someone new and different a chance. Tired of deception, manipulation, and childish behavior. Tired of old time politics that Clinton is involved in. She has wasted enough of our tax dollars for her own personal wealth. I would rather hear good headlines about our country not dirty gossip, corruption about our country!! Our country needs to get a good name again. Clinton already tarnished it once.

Obama 08!

February 20, 2008 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  6. Jim in FL

All due respect to the overwhelming wisdom of the pundits and writers, but logic would dictate that as Obama gets an ever higher percentage of the vote, that it comes at the expense of the other candidates "base". He is garnering more and more of every demographic that could be contested. The simple proof is that his own "base" is expanding, ie. he's getting ever larger percentages of men. A more accurate analysis would also be a more simple one "Obama's Margin Grows", etc.

Obama's campaign is becoming a work of art. Clinton's a "Dean'esque" crash-and-burn. Who claims the executive experience here? It was supposed to be good for what ?

February 20, 2008 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  7. David

If we look at any sport, Football, Hockey, Baseball, Basketball etc. Any team that has 10 straight wins, got to be in the finals.

February 20, 2008 10:17 am at 10:17 am |
  8. Michele C

Isn't it odd that when Hillary wins, it's nothing short of a huge overblown celebration. When Obama wins, she can't even bring herself to mention it in a speech she delivers right after the win. I don't like poor losers. I don't like Hillary. Obama 08 for sure.

February 20, 2008 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  9. ne,pa

Clinton and McCain =corrupt Washington!
    Obama 08!

February 20, 2008 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  10. ben

I am old. I don't make 15 thousand a year. I am white. I am retired.
    I don't think Obama can help me. I THINK HE CAN HELP AMERICA!!!!!!!!!!!

February 20, 2008 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  11. Mike

Obama also inserts earmarks. He also gets money from lobbyists. He also attacks other politicians. Where is "change we can believe in?"

February 20, 2008 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  12. denzer

I will preface my comments by admitting that I am a conservative. But, can't any of you see what a phony and a fraud Obama is? I refer to him and his speaches as a three dollar bill. I guess asking America to see through Obama is asking a bit much, after all we did elect Bush 2 times. Again, I am a conservative and was not foolish enough to vote for Bush. I am smart enough to realize that America had a certain prosperity under Bill Clinton and I would vote for Hillary if she were nominated. Let me also let you dems in on a not so well kept secret. The republican race has been decided for some time now, and many people who will vote straight rupublican in the next election are grabbing the dem ballot in the primaries and voting for the candidate they know they can defeat in the presidential election.

February 20, 2008 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  13. Sean McM

Obama is slipping his agenda in....note his Feb 19th statement on children:

"So we're going to provide a $4,000 tuition credit, every student, every year, but, students, you're going to have to give back something in return. You're going to have to participate in community service. You're going to have to work in a homeless shelter, or a veteran's home, or an underserved school, or join the Peace Corps."

This dear Americans is how they have lived in Cuba for years...kids eventually move from their homes to camps to provide this "community service"////hey folks, smatter of socialism?????????????????

February 20, 2008 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  14. K-Romeo

what America is saying now is that, it's up to Texas and Ohio to determine if we could possibly have a Black president. The other states (mostly white) have proved that they have changed pertaining to race, but Hillary is saying to them, if you want to stop this black candidate and continue our tradition, this is your chance. Thats why she once believed Obama was winning because of black votes, because to her it have always been about race. If I was White and lived in Texas or Ohio, this would really offend me and she wouldn't get my vote even if I believed in her. Shes saying to Texas and Ohio, vote for me because I'm White regardless of if I'm right.

February 20, 2008 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  15. therealist

If you call older under educated women your base that is...

February 20, 2008 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  16. Fletch

It just goes to show that the whole "Obama does better over time" argument is proving true. And I think that this doesn't bode well for Clinton since there is a two week lag btwn now and the primaries on 3/4. If he shows well in the debates, he could wipe out her lead and overtake her in those two critical states. Then it would be virtually over for her...if it isnt already.

February 20, 2008 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  17. REALITY CHECK!!

Let's put the winning streak in perspective:

Contest margin of victory
    Louisiana 21%
    Nebraska 36%
    Washington 37%
    US Virgin Islands 81%
    Maine 19%
    Virginia 29%
    Washington DC 51%
    Maryland 23%
    Wisconsin 17%
    Hawaii 52%

Reality Check!

February 20, 2008 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  18. Gary

Just compare the free time CNN gave Obama last night to the BRIEF clip from Hillary's speech. It's not over yet (pundits notwithstanding), but it is indeed a wonder given the fawning attention of talking heads like "the best political team" to Obama and their outright scorn for Hillary Clinton.

Hopefully Texas and Ohio will restore some common sense to the process and stop the momentum of a self-righteous hypocrite (whose wife has only now found reason for pride in her country).

February 20, 2008 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  19. Clifton

Apparently Senator Clinton hasn't helped herself much with launching negative attacks. Maybe it is because her own negative ratings are in the high 40's.

February 20, 2008 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  20. California Voter

He must have something if everyone is voting for him, right??????

February 20, 2008 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  21. sk

At first, I was all for Hillary, but as I began to listen more carefully to Obama speak on certain issues; I quickly changed my mind. He appears to be more believable in his speeches and creates excitement where ever he goes. Hillary has no life in her speeches and she leaves me cold. If she does happen to win the nomination, I am thinking of voting Republican and that has never happened in my family before. She is always talking about solutions, but she fails to mention just what those solutions are. She doesn't offer anything better than Obama so why should I vote for her? By the way, did I fail to mention that I am a black woman??????????

February 20, 2008 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  22. Nic

Hillary can't beat someone thats genuinely trying to CHANGE all the same ole politics, because same ole politics is how she got there. She agrees with you if it benefits HER, not the country. All of her laying in bed with lobbyists and talk of fighting Republicans is old and tired. This nation has opened its eyes. Hillary has no substance, and if she does we wouldn't know it, shes too busy trying to attack her opponent. Barack is moving forward, and as far as CNN cutting away to Barack, no one in America is wanting to sit around listen to losing speeches. We as Americans are winners and want to support our winners, as with anything. Its sad that Hillary's supporters are becoming as nasty as her. Stop belly aching and get on the success train for CHANGE people, because its REAL, and with continued support Barack can make that agenda happen. Don't be surprised if Hillary makes things tough for him if he is in office. She doesn't care about anything but that presidency, and will fall nothing short of bitter for the rest of her life if he wins the nomination, and furthermore the presidency. I truly see her being the Democrat thats the thorn in our parties side. She has just shown us terrible things from her campaign.

February 20, 2008 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  23. Jeff Spangler, Arlington, VA

What good's the momentum if he's all bluster and no beef, as appears to be the case? As Ed Rendell once observed when asked if he was interested in a Senate seat, "they don't do [diddly-squat]." Last night, when Chris Matthews asked a Texas supporter of Obama what his legislative achievements were in the Senate, he couldn't name one.

February 20, 2008 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  24. Di

LMAO...Obama is no more change than George Bush!!!

They both don't know their rear end from a hole in the ground!!!

February 20, 2008 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  25. Patrick

Bush, Clinton, Bush, Clinton just doesn't work for me... Sorry folks.

February 20, 2008 10:34 am at 10:34 am |