February 20th, 2008

Analysis: Obama continues to chip away at Clinton's base

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/2008/POLITICS/02/20/feb19.analysis/art.obamatex.gi.jpg caption=" Sen. Barack Obama is swaying away the core parts of Sen. Hillary Clinton's voter base."](CNN) - If Ohio and Texas weren't already must-win states for Sen. Hillary Clinton, they certainly are now.Sen. Barack Obama continued his winning streak since Super Tuesday two weeks ago, picking up his ninth state in a row.But as significant as Obama's accelerating momentum is how he is increasingly swaying voters that Clinton could count on at the beginning of February.While Obama has been solidifying his base of younger, college-educated, higher-paid voters, he has steadily been chipping away Clinton's base of blue-collar, older, working-class voters.

- CNN's John Helton

Full story

1. Change is in order!

Amelia......a lot of peple are saying that they will vote for Mccain if Obama wins.......

In a lot of blogs that I have been reading across the nation, I have heard many people say that they will vote for McCain if Billary wins again.....I have also heard many republicans and independents say that they will vote for Obama if he wins but will not vote for Billary if she wins...they will be forced to vote for McCain. Many republicans, independents and Democrats want new faces to run our country...we have grown tired and inpatient with the same ole faces with the same old good ole boys club and the Clinton Machine.....we want to join forces and take back our dignity as a respected country in the eyes of the entire world.....we are just literally sick and tired of what we have seen in the past 25 years....Heck, I have to agree with Michelle Obama...I am finally proud of America the land of opportunities..

February 20, 2008 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  2. concerned08

It’s amazing to me that people are basing their favor towards Obama based on rhetoric, and not substance. The man’s got 4 years of experience. Everyone says that they are sick of the status quo, but shouldn’t we elect someone who knows how to deal with it. How can you be expected to change an entire establishment, when you don’t understand fully the workings of it? If I was sick, I would much rather have an experienced doctor take care of me than a medical student. I appreciate the enthusiasm he has created in our country, I really do, but words are truly meaningless without substance. We can all promise change, but it’s more important to deliver. If change is what he truly strived for, and not change just for himself, he should’ve waited till the next election season after he had some policy experience backing him up. Then, he would’ve had my vote.

February 20, 2008 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  3. archie h.

Obama is a gifted inspirational speaker and nothing else. Americans are going to have to demand some substance to the answers to our problems other than "HOPE'!

February 20, 2008 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  4. Fabian Blache III

If you look at the ten most experienced politicians who ran for and wont he presidency and then look at the 10 least experience that ran and won, and you predicate their expeirence based upon public service in state and national government, etc., Obama, when put into th chart comes in 11th out of of field of 21. That places him smack in the middle in the experience category.

Remember, Grnat, Lincoln, Eiesnhower and others had virtually no experience at all. In fact, a few of them had absolutely none whatsoever.

LBJ was the most experienced and I think it iwas Truman who was the least. Even Linclon was but a self-taught lawyer.

February 20, 2008 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  5. Xavier, Washington, DC

Somebody please tell Mills Lane to step in and stop the fight. She's taking a vicious beating. Please stop it before Obama permanently damages her career.

February 20, 2008 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  6. Martin

I think a lot of people really want someone who will provide a new and fresh perspective as President. It is more important to be an effective leader and get things done than it is to tout policy specifics. Clinton will continue to be great in Congress, but leave the leadership to someone who can unite and be positive.

February 20, 2008 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  7. Jackie

Obama, during Thursday’s debate, I believe Hillary will be even more irritating, defensive, and sharp tongued. She has already lost and wants to bring you down with her. Just remember your calming Aloha spirit, Christian values, and peace making mind set. The movement you started is so much bigger than Hillary Clinton (and John McCain)

OBAMA 08 !

February 20, 2008 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  8. Bill Fletcher

I do not believe that John Helton is fair to Sen. Barack Obama. If you notice in his story, "Analysis: Obama Continues to Chip Away at Clinton's Base", Mr Helton writes, "If the demographic trends continue, it doesn't look good in Texas." I then ask, doesn't look good for who? I think it looks very good for Obama supporters and Texas. It seems that it is still a climb for Obama when reporters or writers put a negitive spin on things.

February 20, 2008 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  9. Kevin

Dave,

Nice stats....very revealing!

February 20, 2008 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  10. Sammy

No matter who wins the Democratic nomination. This fall Democrats, Independents, and a lot of Republicans will fall all over each other to vote aginst the tired, angry old man John McCain.

February 20, 2008 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  11. timmer

McCain and the Republicans have as much a chance of winning this years election as we have of seeing Hugo Chavez riding past Times Square on the back of a hippopotamus.
    Obama!

February 20, 2008 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  12. rj

I am so tired of hearing Mrs Clinton speaking and saying that you need more than words–you need solutions, yet she fails to give any. She says she's qualified to lead day 1? Why is that...did she have that big a role in her husband's administration. If so, then i guess we can expect that Mr Clinton will have a big role in hers should we be so unfortunate that she actually wins. It would seem then that they're just skirting the law that says he cannot have more than 2 terms in office. A B C......anybody but Clinton.

February 20, 2008 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  13. Frank in Missouri

I am proud of the people of Wisconsin and Hawaii.

The negative campaigning and the smear campaign from the Clintons had no success ! (Although Hillary claims that it had 'a positive effect')

The American People are smarter than you think, Hillary!

Usually all candidates jump into the mud – but the Obama movement stays clean and presidential !

THIS IS THE BEGINNING OF A NEW CHAPTER!

February 20, 2008 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  14. Adam

If he wins, I'm voting Republican.

February 20, 2008 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  15. Andrea

Win or lose, Senator Clinton has my vote. I am 43 years old and have been interested in politics since I was 9 years old.

No way would Mr Obama sway me. I recognize a fast talking joker when I see one. Momentum-give me a break, this isn't football!

People open your eyes and tap into your common sense. Mr Obama cannot win the election. The Republicans have this won, and we are looking at 4 years of Republican rule. They are just laughing at the Democrats for being swayed to vote for the wrong person. We have become the butt of their jokes.

Senator Clinton would stand a much better chance because she is well known.

She knows Washington and what to expect.

February 20, 2008 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  16. Haighter

As this drags on, people are getting to know these candidates and perhaps seeing more in Obama and simply seeing through Clinton. Clinton needed a quick win and she didn't get it. As the primaries drag on, she's looking more and more like the kind of politician we're all tired of: negative ads, pointless attacks, etc.

February 20, 2008 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  17. suzie from Atlanta, GA

I watched your so-called "coverage" of her speech, all 5 minutes of it, before you switched to an hour of Obama. How the heck do you know what she said? WE sure don't. And please don't introduce Begala as a "Clinton supporter". He is NOT; he's a paid hack like all the rest of your so called team, with the EXCEPTION of John King. HE is the only professional.
    YOU did this to Edwards, Biden and Dodd, and now you are doing this to Clinton. Millions of people watch the TV to get an idea of what the candidate has to say. WHERE do they get their true picture if you don't show it?
    I did not need to see all of his speech. What you did is so clearly biased and unfair, just as your coverage was in 2000, and 2004.
    Well, you gave us BUSH, twice, and now I guess we get Obama.
    I wanted to hear what Hillary had to say, but instead I got more of the SAME, and not ALL of us think he is the Messiah, you know. This is one Democrat who will vote GOP in the fall if Obama is the Dem, because I am tired of Presidents in training pants, and I don't trust Obama. It’s not his faith, or his color, far from it, it's HIM. Stay tuned for REZKO, and you will see.
    In the meantime, keep up the good work by slanting your coverage, framing every story about how she is loosing, and making sure to give LOTS of coverage to the owners of far left Blogs, and in no time at all you will have your Obama, and then you can move on to Bashing McCain and then on to tearing up Obama after he takes office.

February 20, 2008 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  18. Kevin H

Obama will do this country good. I am glad to see he can form a coalition of AMERICANS of all races and backgrounds.....These are the people who will lead the country forward and even those stuck in some backwoods antebellum mindset where they would not vote for Obama even if it positively impacted their own lives. If we can have the president we have had the last 8 years, I do not see how he could do any worse......that is not even possible I think........go Obama...pull this divided country together so we can live what the constitution says......

February 20, 2008 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  19. Flo

You know....I am getting tired of you biased CNN People. I have written letter after letter and they never seem to get printed. Could that be because you only print the good ones about Obama? I notice the majority of the letters are good ones about him. What a shame that the Media are such rotten people. Dare you to print this!!!!!!!

February 20, 2008 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  20. Dan, Ohio

He has 14 of Bill Clinton's former staff to thank for his strategies.

And a bunch of youngsters calling phoning people in Wisconsin with lies about Bill's office in Harlem designed to steal votes from him. Pathetic really.

February 20, 2008 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  21. C. Tiger

The Democrats are more and more losing a leg to stand on. They also do not have the integrity to stand up for what this nation really needs.. McCain 08!

February 20, 2008 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  22. Joseph

Hillary's campaign is over.

She should do what is best for the nation and concede to Obama now before more damage is done to the democratic base.

February 20, 2008 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  23. Mary has a problem

Mary, people don't just vote for someone they hate for kicks and giggles. (unless they're republican) Are you kidding me?? You guys have real serious issues.

February 20, 2008 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  24. Charlotte

Quit calling Clinton supporters, uneducated. bottom of the barrel citizens..

February 20, 2008 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  25. Debby

Congratulations to Sen. Obama he has run an outstanding campaign, but will he be able to deliver if he gets elected President.
    He sure has high HOPES for the first 4 years. If he pulls it off he should be compared to Harry Houdini vs. JFK.

February 20, 2008 11:48 am at 11:48 am |