February 20th, 2008

Clinton targets Obama backer's botched interview

CNN

Watch portions of Clinton's speech Wednesday morning.

(CNN) - Hillary Clinton and her presidential campaign Wednesday pounced on a recent television interview with a surrogate of Barack Obama who was unable to identify a single accomplishment in the Illinois Democrat's Senate record.

"My good friend Congresswoman Stephanie Tubbs Jones from Ohio represented me on one of the TV programs in the last day or two— some of you may have seen her," Clinton said during a speech at Hunter College in New York City Wednesday. "And she was on against someone representing my opponent and for the first time, actually, the host, asked the representative of my opponent to name one accomplishment."

The interview in question was with Tubbs Jones and Texas State Sen. Kirk Watson on MSNBC Tuesday night. Host Chris Matthews asked Watson, a supporter of Obama, to name the Illinois senator's chief legislative accomplishments.

"Well, I am not going to be able to name you specific items of legislative accomplishment," Watson said.

Asked if it was a problem he was unable to name any of Obama's accomplishments, Watson said, "Well no I don't think it is. Because I think one of the things that Sen. Obama does is he inspires. He's able to lay out a vision, he's able to lay out solutions."

The Clinton campaign called the interview "Must See TV," and e-mailed a clip of it to reporters Wednesday morning - shortly before the New York Democrat mentioned it in her speech.

“That is all we’re asking," Clinton also said of the interview in her speech. "We’re asking to compare our records. We’re asking to compare our years of service. We’re asking to compare our ideas, our solutions."

Also in her speech Wednesday, Clinton maintained her campaign is moving forward.

“It is time to get real, “ Clinton continued, “to get real about how we actually win this election…It is time to move from good words to good works – from sound bites to sound solutions.”

Commenting on Obama's 10 straight victories, Clinton also conceded the Illinois senator "has had a couple of good weeks."

- CNN's Alexander Mooney and Mike Roselli

CNN Election Center: Check out the results from Wisconsin and Hawaii

1. Frank of DC

Haha...like Hillary has accomplished anything. Being an ex-presidents wife does not make you more experienced. You're both U.S Senators...so neither has more experience than the other. Obama inspires the youth and unites Americans from of all walks of life...thats is experience enough for me. What's the use of experience if no one likes you? A leader must inspire poeple and give them hope, and Hillary lacks those qualities.

February 20, 2008 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  2. Angelia

Hilly continues to grasp at straws and show how desperate and silly she is. If she had ran her campaign the way Obama is running his, she might not be where she is at now. But flip flopping on issues, dirty tactics and trying to pull a rabbit out of her azz has caught up and again, she cries foul. There was a little boy who did that with wolves once. . .

February 20, 2008 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  3. jude

Oh commoon...I wonder if anybody can name an accomplishment of HRC? Perhaps failed accomplishments...like voting for the war. Its time for the Demos to move on and for HRC to drop her run. Another one of thos slash and burn tatic by HRC. We cannot have someone for president who has that attitude and those tatics. Obama 08!!!

February 20, 2008 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  4. Kim, Sacramento, CA

Keep up the negativity Hillary it is worked really well so far – for Barack, thank you!

February 20, 2008 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  5. Rob

She is VERY deperate. It kind of makes me sad to see the position she's in and how pathetic her attacks are now.

February 20, 2008 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  6. Steve, MS

Get ready America...Hillary's last stand smells of desperation.

Obama 08

February 20, 2008 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  7. Kat Williams

hummm, come on folks, even his supporters can't figure out what he's done. vote for the right person for this job. do not buy the smoke and mirrors.
    Hillary!

February 20, 2008 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  8. Mike V

Is this how far Clinton has sunk? She has to resort to attacking a low-level Obama supporter because he botched an interview question. How about we scrutinize every state senator who backs Clinton too and find out how many mistakes they made in interviews?

BTW, what is Hillary's big accomplishment in her SHORTER career as an elected official?? Voting for the Iraq war?? Yeah that really shows she has the experience. But I guess all those years just watching her husband do the job makes up for it right?? Right Hillary??

Move along, nothing to see here. Just more drab from an increasingly desperate losing (lost?) election campaign. Thankfully, there should only be 2 more weeks of this.

February 20, 2008 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  9. Red October

wow, getting despirate eh. i always knew hillary was slimy, but not to this extent
    obama 08

February 20, 2008 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  10. Sandi from Grand Rapids, Michigan

If you think that's fair, then let's talk about Paul Begala and what he said on CNN about Hillary; He said something about how Hillary needs to take John Edwards words and ideas, even if she doesn't get his endorsement... Please ask Hillary to explain...Why does her experienced supporter thinks she doesn't have a mesage of her own?

You don't hear anyone, from either camp, telling Obama he needs to take someone else's message to win.

February 20, 2008 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  11. SlapStick, Florida

Wow, she is at it again. If HRC and her camp wants to win, she needs to tighten ship and get busy. I could care less what someone else is doing on their side of the isle if I am loosing. I would be more focused on me and what is it that I need to be doing. HRC needs to get rid of her entire campaign aides because they are not doing their jobs!!!

Obama 08

February 20, 2008 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  12. S. Chaney

I'm a 63 year-old female Ohio voter, supposed to be part of Hillary's demographic. When I listen to her speeches, I hear "I, I, I" and
    "Me, Me, Me." When I listen to Obama, I hear "We, We, We." Guess
    who I'm voting for? "We the people" are speaking. Listen up, Hillary!

February 20, 2008 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  13. Haighter

Am I missing something? What, exactly, are all these "accomplishments" and this "experience" Clinton is talking about? She's the junior senator from New York... but other than that, what public office has she held? Is she counting her spouse's experience as her own? And I can't help but remember that her pet project as First Lady was Universal Health Care and that she and Bill failed to get that done even with 8 years in the White House. She needs to do a better job explaining to me what she means, exactly, when she touts these supposed attributes as a candidate.

February 20, 2008 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  14. Dee

There she goes again with the negativity. I suppose nothing was learned from the results in Wisconsin. Stop the negativity. Focus on your own strengths. The voters are not stupid. They can make up their own minds. The negative stuff is such a turn off. Enough already.

Obama 08

February 20, 2008 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  15. VA

AHUMMMMMMMMMMMMMM HILLARY..ABOUT THOSE TAX RETURNS...AMERICA IS STILLLLLLLLLLLLLLL WAITING!!!!!!!!
    AHUMMMMMMMMMMMM HILLARY......AMERICA IS WAITING TO HEAR ABOUT THE HILLARY/PAUL FRAUD.
    NEED I GO ON?????? SURE...WHY NOT...

"First – whatever happened to the medical health care plan you were
    paid
    > to develop during your husband's eight years in the office as
    President?
    > "Second – why would you run for President after your husband shamed
    the
    > office?
    > "Third – whatever happened to all those things you took when you left
    > the White House?

February 20, 2008 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  16. which shall it be?

Eliminate words like "change" and "yes we can" from Obama's rhetoric and one is left with dead silence.

February 20, 2008 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  17. Tiffany

Sounds like the typical Obama supporters who just direct you to his website instead of answering. Saying someone is inspirational doesn't count as a record of accomplishment or of policy goals no matter how many times it is repeated. I don't seem to encounter any Obama supporters that have the answer to that question.

I just don't get it. If you support someone, shouldn't you know what they've done and what they want to do?

February 20, 2008 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  18. Adriana

You go Hillary,we know you can do it.dont give up the fight

Hillary 2008

February 20, 2008 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  19. NickNasc

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ Hillary Clinton is done!

She keeps jumping all over ANYTHING she can find to try and bring this man down! I am so glad Obama doesn't lower himself to this level. We ALL know he could with all of the Skeletons in the Clinton Past.

Hillary you are Boreing us past the point of even listening to you at all. I personally have tuned you out and I was pulling for you 2 years ago. I have to believe that you are just like George Bush in your style, I say that because you have VERY experienced High paid Political EXPERTS advising you and like Bush you are NOT listening to them. No professional could be advising you to act the way you are.

Is this what we have to look ofrward to for the next 2 weeks? More Gradeschool level attacks and tedious attempts to distract us? This makes the Democrats look so bad. While this Single minded Woman attacks Obama without merit Obama has to prepare to go against McCain who is trying attacks of his own. Hillary is praticing" I win or NOONE wins" politics. She will Bring down ALL of the Democratic party to save herself. McCain is already parroting her false claims against Obama and she just keeps dishing them out.

Show some Integrity Hillary.

February 20, 2008 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  20. Walt, Belton,TX

Actually, Hillary could be asked the same question and have to give the same answer. Unless, of course, you can count piggy-backing on other Senators' bills and efforts. Seems all her efforts have been toward raising money and castigating anyone dissagreeing with her brand of socialism............. uh, medical care. She should ask Canadians what they think about their socialized medical care, as those that can afford it come to the US to get good care.

February 20, 2008 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  21. REALITY CHECK!!

Let's put the winning streak in perspective:

Contest margin of victory
    Louisiana 21%
    Nebraska 36%
    Washington 37%
    US Virgin Islands 81%
    Maine 19%
    Virginia 29%
    Washington DC 51%
    Maryland 23%
    Wisconsin 17%
    Hawaii 52%

Reality Check!

February 20, 2008 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  22. yowza!

Those interviewees are a lot like Obama supporters- unable to name anything he has done in legislation without first referencing index cards.

February 20, 2008 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  23. Kathy

This Obama supporter may not have had his talking points ready, but at least he knows what office Obama is running for. Quite a few Clinton supporters have gone on television recently and accidentallty stated that they are supporting her for "First Lady." Apparently that's her only accomplishment.

February 20, 2008 11:13 am at 11:13 am |
  24. Dave

More of the same.

February 20, 2008 11:13 am at 11:13 am |
  25. Independent Voter, TN

Amen, Hillary. I can't find a thing that Obama has accomplished other than being articulate and eloquent. No one seems to care, though. They seem to be sick of the status quo which comes from investing in partisan politics.

At the moment I like McCain because he represents us moderates. Working in a bipartisan manner is the only way to get things accomplished in this country. Clinton was a moderate by most measures and wound up with an above average presidency because he worked with the Republican Congress.

With Obama having the most liberal voting record in the Senate, if he's elected we're guaranteeing ourselves four more years of gridlock and partisan bickering. Were he more moderate or had any kind of a record to run on or had served in the military, I might think otherwise.

February 20, 2008 11:13 am at 11:13 am |