February 21st, 2008

McCain uses Times article to fundraise

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/2008/images/02/21/art.macraise0221.jm08.jpg caption="The McCain campaign sent out an e-mail to supporters Thursday that cited a front-page New York Times article."]
(CNN) – John McCain’s presidential campaign wasted no time taking advantage of an article in the New York Times which portrayed a relationship with a female lobbyist that troubled his advisers nearly a decade ago.

The article “is particularly disgusting – an un-sourced hit-and-run smear campaign designed to distract from the issues at stake in this election,” McCain’s campaign manager, Rick Davis, wrote in a e-mail to supporters Thursday afternoon.

“We need your help to counteract the liberal establishment and fight back against the New York Times by making an immediate contribution today,” the e-mail also said in text that links to an online contribution form on the McCain campaign’s website.

Related: McCain denies close relationship with lobbyist

–CNN Associate Producer Martina Stewart

Filed under: John McCain
  1. Ben from D.C.

To compete with Obama he needs every penny he can get and then some.

February 21, 2008 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  2. Peter

Obama shouldn't have tried to pull this garbage. It runs against his campaign message.

February 21, 2008 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  3. Liz

One doesn't need money to compete with Obama. Just an informed electorate.

February 21, 2008 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  4. Jeff Spangler, Arlington, VA

I crashed five Navy aircraft, lobbied for S&L convict Keating, hung out with a hot lobbbyist babe in corporate jets, and now I'm going to be President. Is this a great country or what?!

February 21, 2008 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  5. Craig, Wa.

To the MCcain campaign...

Dont waste my time trying to kill the messenger (NYT)

State your case, answer the questions, tell the truth. No Snow job.

Show us that respect and all will be well,

for it is us who can and will make the final decision based on ALL the information.

I think what we are learning is how dangerous lobbys and lobbyists can be.

Follow the young man from Illinois example.....just say no.

February 21, 2008 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  6. Rex Savage

What we need is Ken Starr to investigate all of these allegations. Perhaps he could dig up countless bimbos who have fantasized about McCain, lobbyed in his plane, met him in restrooms or hallways, wrote him letters or sent him valentives.... Who knows? We have an extra 32 million dollars, don't we? Sounds like an impeachment offense to me.

Get a grip on reality, media pundits. Shut up for once.

February 21, 2008 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  7. ben/jamin

Why does every thing I write stay under "moderation" and then dissapears? Do I say something you don't approve?
    I have never insulted any candidate. Perhaps you like hate comments?
    Any way I like McCain, but I will vote for Obama

February 21, 2008 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  8. Ken, Austin TX

What a ludicrous way to solicit donations for the McCain camp! Sounds somewhat senseless to me.

February 21, 2008 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  9. Frank

Yup, the empty headed Obama is out now to do what he can, through spending hundreds of millions to running a smear campagne to go after Senator McCain. And the guy has absolutely no shame since in order to cover up his empty rhetoric, he needs to pull out all stops! I just hope that this country is smarter than electing a empty suite for an experienced candidate. And guess what, I am a Democrat saying this and I will most definitely vote for and contribute heavily to John McCain's campagne if Obama gets the Democratic nomination.

February 21, 2008 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  10. ROB

oBAMA 08

February 21, 2008 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  11. Scott Somerville

I've been an enthusiastic Huckabee supporter, but the New York Slimes makes me angry enough to defend McCain. This is such a low stunt–if the Times thought this was news, why not run it when there was a genuine primary fight going on? This looks like a political hit job by a partisan paper.

February 21, 2008 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  12. Jon Zang

Fortunately for this country, he doesn't have a chance against Barack. Can the U.S. and the rest of the world take another 8 years of a corrupt Republican regime!!??

February 21, 2008 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  13. Moe, NY

I would advise people not to waste their hard earned money, as a Republican will not be returning to the White House.

February 21, 2008 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  14. pat

Get ready for Hillary

February 21, 2008 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  15. Greg, NY

Now McCain wants to fight the same "liberal establishment" that he was so happy to accept an endorsement from just a few months ago.

February 21, 2008 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  16. Peter, NYC

I don't necessarily agree with Ben, but he was wise to use it as a fundraiser. Obama is enjoying a love affair with the press at the moment and the man hasn't seen anything yet. As I stated earlier on another board, the Republicans are going to eat him alive and people who think he is a shoe-in for the job are fooling themselves in the worst way. He is getting many votes from Democrats and even some independents but when his views, as opposed to his very limited record, are put under the hot lights the Republicans are not going to join him or anyone who thinks like him. Being black, handsome and well spoken is not enough to win the general election. Nor should it be. Hillary at least had been through the fire already and whatever skeletons there are, are out. I don't know a single Republican in our – admittedly largely Democrat – office who would even consider voting for Obama and I myself am not sure.

February 21, 2008 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  17. Willy

I like it when the liberal NYT does this. It good for the republicans, we alreeady know about the smear lords on the left.

February 21, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  18. Marie, Mtl Can

I don't understand why New York times endorsed McCain..Helloooo!

February 21, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  19. J

i'm not a mccain supporter but this is brilliant!

February 21, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  20. richard

This is insane. McCain is clearly having problems fundrising.. maybee thats because Americans are sick of politics as usual, and thats exactly what McCain is.

February 21, 2008 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  21. esther

michelle obama has said that she is proud of this country

for the first time in her life ! !

just because her husband is running for office.

well I am proud of this country and we do not need

that kind of person or attitude in a first lady of

UNITED STATE.
    MACCAIN IS THE BEST CANDIDATE FOR PRESIDENT.

February 21, 2008 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  22. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

It isn't a surprise. Look at what Edwards did with Ann "I'm really a self hating liberal" Coulter. Everytime she opened her mouth, he raised more money. Why should McCain not use this oppertunity to do this. He has had some trouble raising money in the past, but I don't think that is a problem now.

February 21, 2008 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  23. William Dieck

Obama, all sales pitch no substance.

February 21, 2008 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  24. rebecca

CNN, I keep trying… maybe this time you will let my comment on, please!
    Why is the Democratic party goning to split. So many are not understanding what is going on in our country. Over 100 Dollars A BARREL for oil just today. That is some real history, Kids ! We also had our latte liberals, limousine liberals, but we called them” YUPPIES.” They all had BMWS and spent too much money on real estate and junk bonds. Bill Clinton was real lucky to get in. Ross Perot split the republican party twice.
    We are going to have it real hard, kids. We will suffer the things that came real easy for your mom and dad and grandparents. It's not going to be easy for anybody’s generation. My generation was the 80’s and 90’s. It was allot easier (and we had better music). I hate to say it, but 9/11 changed everything. Bush’s inexperience changed everything! Obama will split the party and make McCain Democrats like my family.
    We worked our fingers to the bone trying to keep Bush’s inexperience out of the White House. Should we now turn a blind eye to the inexperience of Barack Hussein Obama! Everything in my soul says this is wrong for the country and for our party. Yes, I was a young Dem once... so go vote what feels good! And your Mommies and Daddies will vote for the person that is going to keep your great American young idealism Safe and Secure from real, real, REAL ....BAD GUY"s like Bin Ladin !
    And if anyone thinks we are going to leave IRAQ, think again. Remember the OIL? We need it…… to drive our cars, heat our homes, and truck our food around to feed our families. It is there in Iraq, the country Bush made a real mess of. We won’t just pick up and go! We will take years to leave.
    Bush and his “inexperience.” We fought to keep his inexperience out. First with Gore-Lieberman, then with Kerry- Edwards. If Bush was a Republican nightmare… then Obama will be the Democratic nightmare!
    The planet needs our help. Hillary has the experience to get done what is needed. She has a plan to stop what's happening with "Green JOBS.” Also, what is the South going to do about its drought and not having water? Will there be water wars in this country?
    And the big bad Wolf wants to take your home away because of that subprime loan. What if we are hit again by terrorists! Has this man Obama told anyone how he intends to do anything? Do any of you even care? Has it occurred to you that you are being manipulated because of your youth?
    It's sick, It's sad, I hate it because you and latte liberals are not thinking about where we are as a country..
    And that’s why Dems like me wanted Hillary Clinton. If you cannot understand, then that's why we will stand with Republicans and vote for McCain as McCain Democatics. Not out of spite. It's because we Love our kids and our families. We want them SAFE and we Love this Country! So go and vote for some guy that makes you feel cool. Its okay, we forgive you. And we will be right here telling you why we Democrats keep losing the White House when it’s all over.

February 21, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  25. chris

sorry republicans.
    the party is over for you.
    mccain, though an honorable public servant,
    is just as childishly incompetent as bush.
    you can't run from the truth any longer.
    come november, your party will have to take responsibility for it's failings.
    step aside and let the proven leaders run the show.

February 21, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |