February 21st, 2008

McCain uses Times article to fundraise

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/2008/images/02/21/art.macraise0221.jm08.jpg caption="The McCain campaign sent out an e-mail to supporters Thursday that cited a front-page New York Times article."]
(CNN) – John McCain’s presidential campaign wasted no time taking advantage of an article in the New York Times which portrayed a relationship with a female lobbyist that troubled his advisers nearly a decade ago.

The article “is particularly disgusting – an un-sourced hit-and-run smear campaign designed to distract from the issues at stake in this election,” McCain’s campaign manager, Rick Davis, wrote in a e-mail to supporters Thursday afternoon.

“We need your help to counteract the liberal establishment and fight back against the New York Times by making an immediate contribution today,” the e-mail also said in text that links to an online contribution form on the McCain campaign’s website.

Related: McCain denies close relationship with lobbyist

–CNN Associate Producer Martina Stewart

Filed under: John McCain
  1. kathy

Why can't everyone mind their own business and equit trying to destroy someone. It is peersonal and should be regarded as such.

February 21, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  2. James Mo

I do not think that the story here is about the woman. What I would like to know is why wasn't this published before Super Tuesday? There are a lot of younger voters that did not know about McCain's past history with the S&L scandal. Didn't they have a right to know about this?

February 21, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  3. Sammy

Did you notice McCain nuanced that he didn't have "romantic" relationship? Did anyone else hear "I did not have sex with that woman" all over again!!!

February 21, 2008 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  4. support

why people hate hillary so much for all the wrong reasons, is that the change obama supporters are happy about. they talk about uniting the party but all they are doing is disliking her for the wrong reasons like, she too old, we done want clinton in the white house and we do want bill neither. alot people talk about experience done matter wow, let us tell the kids that experience done matter. i am a african i like obama, but i dont think he's ready yet. the bill clinton years are best years for alot of american and people are looking at him like he's nothing. hillary is been judge by lot of people and the media not because she cant do the job, but stupid reasons that have nothing to do with the jod that she is seeking. god help us.

February 21, 2008 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  5. Milton K. Wiah

I laugh when I hear the American people talk about conservative and
    liberal. why these words are they matter so much to politicians or people in that country?
    John McCain is a conservative and so people believe that he can not
    do wrong things. Wait a minute this his second marriage, isn't it?
    This very news paper endorsed him few weeks ago. Were they
    promoting him to demote today? Let us wait and see what the facts are
    behind this story that could have suffaced early to put a dent to
    McCain presidential ambitions instead coming after he almost
    secured the republican nomination.

February 21, 2008 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  6. Bob

Can somebody smear me? I could use the money. The other day, I was totally having a seemingly inappropriate relationship with this girl. Really, I was. Now go to the media, go!

February 21, 2008 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  7. Praetorian, Ft. Myers, FL

Yippee!!

That's the way to go my man!!

Turn a negative into a positive!!

Now that is HOPE of a different color!! Meaning: hope based in the reality of the world and times.

Thanks Senator McCain for being the ONE wedge against creepin "socialism" represente d by Hillary and OpraBama.

February 21, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  8. David Belger

Why would the New York Times risk loosing their creditability?

February 21, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  9. Jane, College Park

Silly, its a fund raising strategy by John McCain.
    He was endorsed by the NYT. Get real people.

February 21, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  10. Hello!

Why are people even mentioning the name "Obama"? Do you realize the New York Times endorsed HILLARY???
    WAKE UP!!!

February 21, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  11. Mike in New York City

The Times is a rag and the piece was clearly a hitjob but what has that got to do with Obama? He didn't have anything to do with it. Wait until the confetti stops falling and the cheers die away and they start turning on Obama and they will. For the life of me I can't believe how enthralled people are with Obama. I can't think of a single reason to vote for him save the color of his skin and that isn't enough for me. His lack of experience is a real and serious issue and I don't mean government experience I mean leadership/executive experience. People think that because they love him he will win. I don't love him but will vote for him if he is the nominee but I would bet money on it that he gets owned by McCain. Republicans and independents are NOT flocking to him despite the myth-spinning. If he gets the nod, we get owned.

February 21, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  12. FELISA

Obama has nothing to do with this, it's the Republican devouring their own. Wake up, people

February 21, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  13. La Raza

It doesn't matter anyway. McCain supports the Iraq-invasion; therefore, he can't win. By the way, McCain has to prove he didn't do it in today's world.

February 21, 2008 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  14. maynard

CNN PLEASE POST MY COMMENT RESPONDING TO REBECCAS POST THERE IS NOTHING DEROGATORY ABOUT ANY OF THE
    COMMENT THAT WAS MADE IT IS THE TRUTH AND VEIWS FROM SOMEONE ELSE WHOSE OUTLOOK FOR THE NEXT PRESIDENT
    SHOULD BE AND WHAT THEY STAND FOR

February 21, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  15. charlene

I am an Obama supporter, and i don't like these attacks. I think it is unfair, who are his accusers? If they are telling the truth, they should

February 21, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  16. Ben

All of you guys blaming Obama for the New York Times article must be joking,and those of you thinking Hillary is the only one out there who could save America must still be in some kind of sleep;It doesn't that 100 years of experience to govern a nation.I was watching McCain talk the other time, how he would go after some guys that came into POW camp when they were in Vietnam. I think it's time everyone think of peace and a way forward for America and it's people;Do something to lift this nation up and get people out of debt and poverty.
    I don't hate McCain, but his talk so far shows what path he would lead the Nation; America should not be handed over to old men without visions or directions;We need someone to get America to new height.

February 21, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  17. Fay

OMG people! Obama DID NOT write this article! The New York Times did. It just shows Obama on the front because there is a story about him as well as McCain. I noticed that just from studying it. Obama in no way talked about McCain. If you read, the New York Times have been working on this story for two months. Can we please use some common sense and stop smearing people's names? Just pay a little more attention. I'm 23 and I feel like the people my age are being way more mature about this race than people twice my age.

February 21, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  18. Patty Atlanta GA

Oh go cheat on another wife! You should read the Ten Commandments!

Gov. Huckabee for president!

February 21, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  19. Darth Vadik, CA

This kind of stuff you put out during the october surprise.

IT IS NOT THE DEMOCARTS FAULT THAT THE REPUBLICANS ARE IMMORAL CRIMINALS.

February 21, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  20. O6, Norfolk, VA

"The Clintons and McCains are cut from the same cloth!

Regardless of one's Party affilitation, this is an absolutely insulting comment comparing an honorable American with an amoral, narcissistic liar like Bill Clinton. The two couldn't be more different. If Bill Clinton were a POW with an opportunity to home early, he would not be thinking about his compatriots...only his own a##. McCain has principle...Clinton does NOT.

February 21, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  21. Rose, MD

Peter , you said "Obama shouldn't have tried to pull this garbage. It runs against his campaign message".
    What has this got to do with Obama. Is he also New York Times. Maybe you need to read articles more than once to understand what is going on.

February 21, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  22. Lovely in VA

Again, I'll sit in moderation........

Yes, send in that money today before the actual truth comes out and McCain is forced to admit the truth. He left himself NO wiggle room to get out of this . He adamately stated "NO" to all questions asked. Do you really believe NYT, after consulting with their lawyers, have a baseless story??

GO OBAMA!!

February 21, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  23. Shay

What is going to happen to our tax dollars if MCCain is president and you find out that he is lying. Did we forget about the Clinton's. They cost USA a lot of money with our tax dollars..

Sheeeshh I am glad it is out in the open and America is given the opportunity to make up their mind if they want to participate in a dragged out possible impeachment. McCain isn't the aggressor now.

I doubt if NY Times would put out such an allegation if they were not certain. I believe they have cold hard facts.

February 21, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  24. Mike (Atlanta, GA)

Are you kidding me??? Using the article to 'fundraise'? Give me a break!!! People would be crazy to donate any money to this guy until they at least investigate to see if there is any truth to this article!!! The mere fact that he is trying to use this article as a way to raise money should actually raise questions about his so-called ethics!!!

February 21, 2008 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  25. Chip

It seems that the Times has decided to follow in the yellow journalism footsteps of the New York World and New York Journal.
    I hope the Times follows its predecessors all the way to bankruptcy as well.
    The front page is not the editorial section in most papers.

February 21, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |