February 21st, 2008

Schneider: Immigration reform not a risk in the fall

AUSTIN, Texas (CNN) - Clinton and Obama are calling for a path to citizenship for illegal immigrants and comprehensive immigration reform. This will play well with the Latinos voters they are courting, and it isn't likely to pose much of a risk in the general election.

Why? John McCain was a chief sponsor of comprehensive immigration reform legislation. He will have a hard time using this issue against either candidate.

Related: Watch Obama and Clinton debate immigration reform

- CNN Senior Political Analyst Bill Schneider

Filed under: Bill Schneider
  1. Chuck

Bill Clinton reached across the aisle and we got NAFTA.....

2. Kim in Columbus

Obama's fingers are making more points than his words. HA! Go Hillary!!

3. Ben Murphy

Is anyone else having trouble following Obama tonight? He is really confusing my friend and I with his answers.

4. Linda Baker

The differences between the two candidates are so very subtle in this debate that it is almost not worth having. Somehow the impression I have is that they are simply telling the Latinos and Texans what they want to hear.

5. Alex from NYC

If McCain doesnt take them on, on immigration reform he wont generate any enthusiasm from conservatives hes already having trouble with.

6. JayCeezy

Yes, it is important for the U.S. to keep a common language which binds us with values. Jorge Ramos asked a good question about a 'limit' to bi-lingualism; and that makes me think that it is REALLY important that the U.S. does not become like Mexico. No need for details, but there is a reason illegals are coming from Mexico to the U.S. and not the other way around.

7. Jeff Shepherd

Honestly, when it comes to building a fence that will basically just be the "Great Wall of America" I'm disappointed. As Senator Obama says, we need to make the process for legal immigration easier and more efficient. Remove the incentive to cross illegally and the need for a wall does not exist.

8. Legally Here

Sen Obama just did Sen Dick Durbin's bidding by bringing up the Dream Act.

The Dream Act of course is a discriminotary piece of legislation because it expressly keeps out children of legal non-immigrants such who are waiting for their green cards while providing benefits to children of illegal immigrants.

9. Clarence

This is a sparring contest. No one is making any substantial claims here. More of one upsmanship than anything else.

10. Sandra

ahahhh clinton is losing, she is just yelling and pandering while obama is proving that he knows policy

good game mrs clinton

11. ALEX TALAMANTES

THE DECIDING VOTE MAY COME FROM THE GAY COMMUNITY, WHERE DO THEY STAND ON GAY ISSUES?

12. nhnb

What bill did Obama just refer to that would allow illegal immigrant children to go to school in places like the University of Texas?

13. Gbenga

I want to clarify something I am not Hispanic I speak other language and I have right here. Even though I speak English, if you are talking of bi-lingual what happens to my language and my people here.

I think English should be official and Multi-lingual optional and not bi-lingual (English, Spanish).

14. Krishna Swami

Both candidates are excellent in the debate. I liked their position on immigration and bilingualism. Obama seemed to offer a more comprehensive and more complete solution approach on both issues – comprehensive immigration reform and encouraging all students to learn a second language and moving away from the disastrous "No Child Left Behind" shamble

15. Cecile

Apparently it will be what Cafferty called early a "big yamn debate". lol

16. c. daly

Campbell Brown is doing a terrific job. Thank goodness we are being spared Wolf Blitzer.

17. Doug in Dayton

When is somebody going to remind the HRC and BHO that Ted Kennedy (senior democrate) was the chief sponser of the no child left behind act and quick blaming BUSH...what a cop out.

18. Shervin

I agree with Mr scheider. That's all I'm hearing. I agree with Sen Clinton. I agree with Sen Obama. No one is distinguishing himself or herself. Some should get a count on how many times we have heard "I agree with...".

19. nk

It just seems like Obama is not answering the question. Why can't he focus on address the question at hand with specifics instead of just beating the bush. I am still waiting – but running out of patience.

20. Powell

Obama hit it on the head... the immigration debate is causing unnecessary hate crimes against hispanic citizens of our great country.

21. Steve Jones

Why are they both so concerned about discriminating against people that aren't even citizens? Also, why is it our responsibility to fix Mexico's economy when ours is enough to worry about. I also hear all thise candidates say they will put illegals at the end of the line, but unless the line begins in their own country, it's not really the end of the line is it?

22. Kevin

Are any of the moderators going to direct any more questions to Sen. Obama first and allow Sen. Clinton to respond? Thus far, he has largely been forced into the position of responding, and fre;quently agreeing, with Sen. Clinton. While this highlights the relatively narrow differences in their respective stances on policy issues, it puts him at something of an unfair tactical disadvantage.

23. joywinnebago

Is she always to answer first in tonight's format? If so, it seems that gives him many opportunities to find creative ways to say, "Sen. Clinton and I basically agree." When I was young, it would usually be said more simply: "Yeah, what she said."

I don't think he's doing a lot to show his plans and policies are original to him, while she may be bogging down in details.

24. Dean

Why do these canidates always point out the business owners, thus this includes small business main street employeers. But I never here them say they also will go after the banks who give them bank accounts, or the credit card companies that offer cards to them as well.

25. william clarke

I think Senator John Mccain is man that you can trust but I don't believe that he is "experience" enough when it comes to america needs!

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9