February 21st, 2008

Schneider: Immigration reform not a risk in the fall

AUSTIN, Texas (CNN) - Clinton and Obama are calling for a path to citizenship for illegal immigrants and comprehensive immigration reform. This will play well with the Latinos voters they are courting, and it isn't likely to pose much of a risk in the general election.

Why? John McCain was a chief sponsor of comprehensive immigration reform legislation. He will have a hard time using this issue against either candidate.

Related: Watch Obama and Clinton debate immigration reform

- CNN Senior Political Analyst Bill Schneider

Filed under: Bill Schneider
  1. Roger Cousin

To me, both candidates are missing a big point on this matter. Mexicans and Latino's are not the only ones crossing our borders illegally, how do we know Alqada is not? Is this security/ Also, when the subject of English only came up, both also balked on that issue as well. OF COURSE English should be our ONLY language! Whould Mexico tolerate English being their language? It is imperitive that America stay America. English is OUR language. Come here...learn OUR ways...learn OUR laws...and learn OUR language.

February 21, 2008 09:00 pm at 9:00 pm |
  2. Rose Marie Berg

He shows he does not have enough expierence. He follows everything Hillary sys. Where are his own ideas. He keeps repeating that he never supported the war. His speach didnt count because he had no vote. He voted every time to fund the war. SO.....

February 21, 2008 09:00 pm at 9:00 pm |
  3. Lloyd G. Phipps Georgia

Very good point by Obama, you can disagree and have strong debate without tearing your opponent down

February 21, 2008 09:01 pm at 9:01 pm |
  4. Shari

I can't wait until they ask about healthcare. Obama says he can save a family as much as $2,500.00 per year. For two people I, as a small business owner, very small business, pay $24,000.00 per year for a mediocre coverage through a small business group plan. His savings isn't relief for me it's a discount, there's a difference. I need relief, I want universal healthcare.

A side note, at one time my company had 8 employees and I paid 100% of each employee's healthcare policy. Since Bush has been in office my business is down to me and the co-owner.

February 21, 2008 09:02 pm at 9:02 pm |
  5. Rowan@SD

I think both H.C. and B.O. imagine they are debating G.B. tonight . When they have nothing else to say and want a reaction from the audience they bash President Bush. It's a no brainer.

February 21, 2008 09:02 pm at 9:02 pm |
  6. David Gerstenfeld

Immigration reform should include discussion on changing the constitution regarding a child born in the USA of any illigal immigrants being an American citizen. How many other countries have children of illigals automatically become citizens of their country with all the benefits according to those that follow the laws of that country

February 21, 2008 09:02 pm at 9:02 pm |
  7. Richard

Hilary's problem is that she thinks she has earned the right to be our president and that if we do not vote for her then we are imbeciles. At least Barak doesn't look down his nose at us.

February 21, 2008 09:03 pm at 9:03 pm |
  8. MRAM

I always watch both the Rep and Dem debates. Interesting contrast that the Rep debate, in this area, was about "Cracking down on companies that HIRED illegal immigrants" (the right way in my opinion) and the Dem debate was about "Cracking down on companies that MISTREAT illegal immigrants."

February 21, 2008 09:03 pm at 9:03 pm |
  9. The Puerto Rican

It does take a village...a village of idiots, who still want to put the Hildebeast in the White House

February 21, 2008 09:03 pm at 9:03 pm |
  10. donald mcfarland

To Chuc, They won't pose our question about NAFTA on the program because it would make Hillary look bad. She supports Nafts because her HUSBAND supported it/

February 21, 2008 09:03 pm at 9:03 pm |
  11. Ron

Each canidate should be reminded that they will be running against John McCain not George Bush. Bush has been mentioned nearly 20 times in this debate.

thanks.

February 21, 2008 09:03 pm at 9:03 pm |
  12. June Lacy

I was disappointed that neither candidate indicated that asking everyone else to learn Spanish (instead of Latinos learning English)is insulting to the heritage this country previously had of every new ethnic group coming in having to learn and use English.
    This problem is not limited to just border areas.

February 21, 2008 09:03 pm at 9:03 pm |
  13. SM

Most of the people are clueless about immigration. I personally witnessed an undocumented immigrant attempt to pay his taxes. The only reason this person did not file taxes is because the person was afraid of getting caught by the government and getting deported.

Undocumented immigrants want the opportunity to pay their taxes! The rich citizens are the ones that are the ones that engage in all kinds of sneaky tax-avoidance schemes.

Thank you, Obama, for supporting the education of children of undocumented immigrants. These children had no say in where they were born. They should not be punished for something they could not prevent.

February 21, 2008 09:03 pm at 9:03 pm |
  14. DENISE SNELL

OBAMA TALKS A GOOD TALK BUT AS A BLACK WOMAN IN AMERICA
    I FEEL IT IS TIME FOR THE GUYS IN CHARGE TO STEP DOWN AND ALLOW A WOMAN DO THE CORRECT JOB.

OBAMA THIS IS NOT YOUR TIME BECAUSE I SEE OBAMA AS A HEAD STRONG MAN AND NOT BEING ABLE TO COMPROMISE
    IF IT IS NOT HIS WAY THAN IT WILL BE NO WAY AT ALL.

AMERICA WE HAVE HAD 16 YEARS OF THIS LETS NOT DO IT AGAIN

WHAT HAS OBAMA DONE FOR IL AS A SENATER

HE IS SPEAKING OF HIGHER EDUCATION FOR FORIGNERS WHAT ABOUT AMERICAN CHILDREN WHO PARNETS WORK HARD 2 JOBS AT A TIME TO TRY TO SEND THEIR CHILDREN TO COLLEGE AND STILL NOT HAVE ENOUGH MONEY.

GRANTS GO TO LOW INCOME FAMILIES, BUT WHEN YOU HAVE PEOPLE WORKING BELOW MINIMUM WAGE THEY BENEFIT BUT WHAT ABOUT THE FAMILIES WHO WORK HARD AND FOR $ 5.00 MORE BECOME OUT OF GRANTS OR MUCH OF ANYTHING

SOCIAL SECURITY – IF OBAMA IS PRESIDENT (NO MORE)

ENGLISH SPEAKING TEACHERS, TEACHING ENGLISH STUDENTS
    IF OBAMA IS PRESIDENT (NO MORE)

WHAT

February 21, 2008 09:03 pm at 9:03 pm |
  15. sal

Hillary is so good.. Obama is having difficult times in answering and giving rebuttals

February 21, 2008 09:03 pm at 9:03 pm |
  16. randal johns

While I think that both Clinton and Obama have good ideas regarding imigration, I think that each should have stated that English is the language of this country. Imigrants coming in to this country need to learn our language as all those previous imigrants have done throughout our history. I do not think any consideration should ever be taken to change our countries language from English for any reason. How many Italians, Germans, Asians etc. are in our country? Far more than the 30 million latinos that was reported during tonights debate. Guess what, they all speak English!

I do believe very strongly that it should be mandatory that all students, and starting in elementary school, should be learning another language just as they do in Europe and other parts of the world. I think It is true that most of the free world is bilingual which puts us to shame in this catagory. We do need to catch up here.

February 21, 2008 09:03 pm at 9:03 pm |
  17. Ted JASIEWICZ

How can you vote if you do not understand what the candidates are saying, that is if they are speaking English. English should be the official language of the USA.
    It is noteworthy that many 'foreign' countries chose English as their official language.
    The multi language education system is destroying our 'one nation, one official language' USA and bankrupting schools as well.
    Legal immigrnats have always been accepted in the USA. What is not understood by the term 'illegal'?
    Ted

February 21, 2008 09:04 pm at 9:04 pm |
  18. Ed

English should be the official language for our nation. My grandparents that came here from Europe was made(forced) to speak English in order to be able to find jobs and live according to our national acceptability and to be unified.

Why should we now change the rules to just be able to get elected. If we try to always be politically correct versus to stand up for the laws of our country.....then God help us.

Yes we are a melting pot as a nation. Go to Europe or Asia and try for each countryto do the same thing.

February 21, 2008 09:04 pm at 9:04 pm |
  19. Tommie Coleman

I am not sure what the purpose of the spanish speaking person on the stage. I find this offesive, Any question on the Trans Texas?

February 21, 2008 09:04 pm at 9:04 pm |
  20. Wilard

The problem is if we legalize all the illegals in this country, the ony thing will happen is that another 25 million will com and take their place. When will it stop? Why must we take care of everyone else's people? Why not help or own (US Americans) before we help others. Remember charity begans at home.

February 21, 2008 09:04 pm at 9:04 pm |
  21. Fighting for healthcare

I an 25 and cant afford to pay BCBS 125 bucks for insurance a month thanks to student loans and a job that doesnt pay me enough....I like Hillary's plan that will allow people like me get it...come on OBAMA your saying the same thing over and over again........

February 21, 2008 09:05 pm at 9:05 pm |
  22. Larry In Indiana

I don't have a problem with immigration, I do however have a problem with illegal immigration no matter if they step over the border or wash up on our shores. Their first act in this country was to commit a criminal act. Hillary said that if they commit a crime, they are deported. Obama said he agreed with most things she had said. Well, that would mean that they all would be deported. I go as far as to say, if they entered illegally, then their children should be deported with them. I am undecided still who to support, Rep or Dem or if a third party gets going. This is the most important issue for me since we have probably wasted as much money on this problem as we have on the war. If I move to another country, I'm expected to learn their language, not the other way around.

February 21, 2008 09:05 pm at 9:05 pm |
  23. Jon M Hughes

If your not working how can you buy health Ins.

February 21, 2008 09:05 pm at 9:05 pm |
  24. Lloyd G. Phipps Georgia

I think Clinton is winning so far she is mastering the issue

February 21, 2008 09:05 pm at 9:05 pm |
  25. Karen Mitchell

When Obama talks about healthcare, I can't understand a word he's talking about? He rambles in circles and I still don't know what his policy will be.

February 21, 2008 09:05 pm at 9:05 pm |