February 27th, 2008

McCain apology angers conservative host

CNN

Watch talk radio host Bill Cunningham on CNN Tuesday.

CINCINNATI, Ohio (CNN) - A conservative radio talk-show host said that "he's had it up to here" with Sen. John McCain after the GOP presidential candidate repudiated the commentator's remarks about Sens. Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama at a campaign event.

"John McCain threw me under a bus - under the 'Straight Talk Express,' " Bill Cunningham told CNN on Tuesday, referring to McCain's campaign bus.

Earlier Tuesday, Cunningham spoke at a McCain campaign event in Cincinnati and called Obama a "hack, Chicago-style Daley politician."

Full story

Filed under: John McCain
  1. pd4hillary

Good, conservative Republicans in Ohio and Texas go vote for Hillary. It is to the Republicans advantage by prolonging the Democratic contests and it sends a clear message to McCain.

February 27, 2008 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  2. Joel

I'm probably not voting for McCain, but I do respect him for taking the high road here.

February 27, 2008 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  3. B. Smart

A fine example of American's Underbelly of society.

February 27, 2008 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  4. Howard, Shreveport, Louisiana

I applaude John McCain for the way he handled the situation. I am a "Ronald Reagan" Republican but I am sick and tired of the conservatives like Cunningham, Limbaugh and Ann Coulter threatening everybody that does not walk lock-step behind them. I thought only extreme left wing liberals did that. Go ahead and vote for Hillary, Mr. Cunningham. You are giving us Republicans a bad name.

February 27, 2008 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  5. randall

well bill....i really would have done the same as senator mccain....loll..u over did it buddy lol

February 27, 2008 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  6. pd4hillary

Hillary's point on reject versus denounce is stop being so wishy washy on important issues. Take a stand for what is right. Trying to be someone for everyone, means you are no one for anyone. That was the point. Something is wrong, it is wrong–fight for it!

February 27, 2008 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  7. Sandy

Have americans forgotten the name of person that caused the war in Iraq – Saddam Hussein. Why would you want to vote for someone who reminds us of our enemies. If he is elected you may be seeing that instead of Britain being our best ali, we will be having Iran instead. Do we have such short memories that we forget the enemy and instead we have decided to vote one of them into our top official position. This may definitely be the change that he is advocating. A change to turn to our enemies and soon we may not have any say in the running of our own country.

You had better stay wise with your vote and stop the band wagon and think things over before its too late.

Hillary, my vote is with you and I am backing you 100%.

February 27, 2008 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  8. Tim Weiss

OK Bill Cunningham, why don't you ever say John Sidney McCain III? You say there is no reason you use Barack Obama's middle name. You obviously mean to portray him as a closet Muslim extremist. So stop putting emphasis on his middle name and say John Sidney McCain III's full name.

February 27, 2008 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  9. andrew jones

yes, keep cunnigham the right-wing bigots under the bus; crushed!

February 27, 2008 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  10. Ajay

Hate-filled public commentary is un-American. Corporations and organizations that allow their own to spew hate in the public domain should be held accountable as much as the spewer.

February 27, 2008 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  11. AJ

I am a moderate democrat and am wondering what Cunningham said that wasnt true. I'm not buying Obama's "Hope of the World" label either. I have not voted for 1 republican in my 30 year voting history but will be voting for McCain gets the nomination. I think it's really funny that anyone who has anything to say against Obama is automatically labeled a "racist" by the Obamazombies. I think Obama is a con man and it wouldnt matter what his race. I urge all Clinton suporters to vote for McCain if Obama wins the nomination.

February 27, 2008 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  12. Go America!

This guy and his ilk are like a disease that attempt to fear monger and brain wash citizens. I am proud that McCain took the high road and has said he will run his campaign with dignity. I am a Republican supporting Obama but if McCain happens to win I would be happy with that too. They are both honest and dignified leaders. After 16 years of voting for the lesser of two evils I am happy that there will be two good candidates this year.

Lastly, to the people supporting this hate monger, don't you ever wish that you could find the security in yourself to be able to accept other people without tearing them down to build yourselves up? America needs to stop letting these far left and right fringes have so much voice. This country is made up of mostly moderates and it seems to me they are finally finding their voice and using it to tell these people to pack up and go home.

February 27, 2008 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  13. rodlang

Are there really people that listen to this garbage on his radio show? Doesn't say much for the people that listen to him.

February 27, 2008 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  14. nick

The snakes are turning on one another. Great.

February 27, 2008 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  15. Jack

Why is everyone afraid to say Barack's middle name ? Hussein Hussein Hussein. Ah, how refreshing. Haahahahaaa !!!!

February 27, 2008 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  16. Paul

It takes a hack to know a "hack". Cunningham siad nothing of substance, and his rant was as empty as he says Baracks' speeches are.

I have MORE respect for McCain now. McCain, unlike most on the 'right', knows the difference between right and wrong.

February 27, 2008 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  17. david

At least he came to his senses and endorsed Hillary.

February 27, 2008 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  18. TL

I have great respect for McCain now, even more so than before, because of this. Good man.

To be honest, despite me being mostly a Democrat, I would be okay with McCain, as well.

February 27, 2008 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  19. McCain-in-4, Clarksburg, MD

So, because John McCain apologized and did not showi Bill Cunningham submissive respect, Bill Cunningham will snub Mike Huckabee (a fellow Republican and devote conservative) and instead support Hillary Clinton.

It looks more like Bill Cunningham threw himself under the Straight-Talk Express and out of the Republican Party. All because it wasnt fair to disrespect Barack Obama by poking fun at the name his two parents gave him forty-something years ago.

February 27, 2008 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  20. Tom in Cincinnati

Willie Cunningham is kidding. Well, he is a conservative, but the comments are his schtick – he's been a radio personality in Cincinnati for ages, and he does this kind of thing all the time. If you asked him to speak at a Bengals pep rally, he'd deliver essentially the same kind of speech about the Browns, etc. His rhetoric is always somewhat tongue-in-cheek, but you'd probably have to listen to his show to pick up on it. You shouldn't take him too seriously, though I wonder who thought he'd be a good fit for a McCain rally in Cleveland...

Anyway, I'm voting for Obama – he's truly a Great American 🙂

February 27, 2008 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  21. Jim

If the Media, and Obama, dose not want any one to use his middle name. All, should find another line of work. Obama, gets all of the free rides. I hope Bill Cunningham, provide full support to Hillary Clinton.

February 27, 2008 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  22. Mike

Hey Ron you said:
    "Of course McCain rejected the comments to reports when no one else was around. Why not when he spoke in front of his supports and before he talked to the press. If you are at the place something like this happens and you are shocked by it and don't accept it, why not say it up front instead of after everybody leaves. Maybe we should ask Romney what a great honest person John McCain is."

Well obviously the course he took worked very well in getting out the word that he completely disagreed with Cunningham's comments. You obviously heard about it, as well as did most of the country. You make it sound like he rebuked him in private hoping nobody would hear. Obviously everyone did hear and I'm sure McCain could care less about your worthless comments.

February 27, 2008 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  23. Guido Atlanta Ga

If he is a consevative and I think he is thank god I am a Liberal !!!!!!

February 27, 2008 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  24. Tim

Let denounce and reject the comments made by Cunningham. I am sure jesus will denounce and reject him on the time judgement.
    The sad part in all of this is people like this guy try to score cheap politics using the faith of christianity very sad indeed.

February 27, 2008 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  25. Jay

I don't see the big deal. If the guy is ashamed of his middle name, then change it.

February 27, 2008 11:52 am at 11:52 am |