March 11th, 2008

Does Clinton benefit from so-called 'dream ticket' talk?

Could Clinton and Obama appear on the same ticket? Clinton appears to be fueling the speculation.

(CNN) - It's an idea that's increasingly getting kicked around, especially by one campaign in particular.

The prospect of Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama running on the same ticket has long been the subject of speculation, even before voters started weighing in at the polls earlier this year.

But following Clinton's wins in Texas, Ohio, and Rhode Island last week - a trifecta of victories that essentially salvaged her presidential hopes - the New York senator and her surrogates have repeatedly raised the issue themselves; raised it so often, in fact, that Obama made sure to shoot down the idea at a campaign event in Mississippi Monday.

"I want everybody to be absolutely clear," he said. "I'm not running for vice president. I'm running for president of the United States of America."

"This kind of gamesmanship, talking about me as VP but not ready for commander-in-chief, that's exactly the kind of doublespeak, double-talk that Washington is very good at," Obama added.

Obama isn't the only one who thinks Clinton has something up her sleeve when she raises the issue. CNN Senior Political Correspondent Candy Crowley says the Illinois senator's campaign clearly recognizes its rival benefits from the increased speculation of a joint ticket.

"They understand that this is a way for the Clinton campaign to play some politics here," Crowley said. "If you suggest to voters, who might have some question about Barack Obama's experience, but they like his message of hope and change, that they could have both, and that maybe he could get eight years of seasoning, that's the suggestion here."(Watch Candy Crowley's analysis of Dem dream ticket talk)

Obama's comments Monday followed a week in which the prospect of a joint ticket was pushed by Clinton or a member of her campaign on at least four different occasions. Clinton herself raised the issue twice - once with a CBS interviewer on the morning after her March 4 primary wins, and on Friday during a campaign stop in Mississippi.

"I've had people say, 'Well I wish I could vote for both of you,'" she said. "Well, that might be possible some day. But first I need your vote on Tuesday."

Former President Bill Clinton also weighed in on the possibility over the weekend, calling the possible ticket 'unstoppable.'

"I know that she has always been open to it, because she believes that if you can unite the energy and the new people that he's brought in and the people in these vast swaths of small town and rural America that she's carried overwhelmingly, if you had those two things together she thinks it'd be hard to beat," he said in Mississippi Saturday.

And Pennsylvania Gov. Ed Rendell, a fervent supporter of Clinton's, said on two different occasions he thinks whoever wins the Democratic race should offer the vice presidency to the other.

Gloria Borger, a senior political analyst for CNN, called the comments a Clinton "talking point."

"They're trying to say to people, you know 'wink, wink, if you make Hillary Clinton the nominee, she'll bring Barack Obama along.' It's a talking point, which is that with Hillary you get two for the price of one—if she is at the top of the ticket."

But there's no denying the Clintons recognize the strength Obama would bring to a presidential ticket. Each has attracted a distinct segment of the Democratic electorate: He consistently does well with upscale voters, independents, and African-Americans while she has performed well among women, older voters, and members of the working class.

"Thee Clintons clearly believe that Obama on the ticket would both unify the party and be a draw, particularly to those African-American voters who have been flocking to him. There is clearly some sense it would cement a Democratic victory."

So would Clinton herself accept the No. 2 slot should Obama finish the race on top?

"I don't make any predictions," Borger said.

- CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

UPDATE: Clinton said Monday all the V.P. speculation has taken on a life of its own:

"This thing has really been given a life of its own. A lot of Democrats like us both and have been very hopeful that they wouldn't have to make a choice, but obviously democrats have to make a choice, and I'm looking for to getting the nomination and it's preliminary to talk about whoever might be on whose ticket," she said while campaigning in Pennsylvania. "But I believe I am ready to serve on day one."

soundoff (1,377 Responses)
  1. julian riano

What prideful man. This is a petty way of saying he would not consider a join ticket, I would then find my self undecided. Considering McCain isn't that bad a guy the Democratic Party has blown a good thing time and again. al gore lost because he was so smug and so can Obama.

March 10, 2008 11:28 pm at 11:28 pm |
  2. Wayne, Wentzville MO

Any ticket with Hillary on it, is a sheer ticket to absolute disaster. Senator Barack Obama isn't going to be egged on by the Clinton folks, because he's much smarter than that. She's trying to fight her way back into the Whitehouse by any and every means necessary., and Americans are saying "NO!"

Senator Barack Obama will choose on his own, whom he feels is the best choice for the VP job. Whoever his choice for the post is, it most certainly will not be Hillary, that's for sure.

March 10, 2008 11:28 pm at 11:28 pm |
  3. smustaro

Despite the need to hate, Hillary is the old guard Democrat.
    It is her duty to try & unify this. How many times have we heard her say "We're friends", referring to Obama? How many times have we heard her say she is honored to be running with him? How many times has she said she would not be opposed to being with Obama?

You miserable people will use anything to make her bad. I'm so tired of hearing this.

If your candidate Obama was a sincere Democrat, he'd be making an effort, any effort but instead he continues to divide this party. He is dividing our country by race now too. All of that work, all of the gains we've made are going. How we will survive this campaign is going to be a miracle.

March 10, 2008 11:30 pm at 11:30 pm |
  4. traci

I hope that this is read. Review Hiliary voting record. She sponcered a bill and voted against making English the offical language of the United States Of America. Now I ask you, how can this monster become President. She is the worst type of liberal. I believe that government should help people but not carry people. I work at a hospital and I see people from other countries, do not speak english getting Medicare/Medicaid. However my own grandmother went into a nursing home used her savings 1st, then applied for Medicaid. She made $3.00 over the limitation amount. We had to hire a lawyer for $3.00 a month. This is the Dems in action. Lets give everyone a free ride EXCEPT Americans.

March 10, 2008 11:30 pm at 11:30 pm |
  5. Ozz

Who is Obama running agains?

The wife/the Husband? The former President Clinton make a lot of cynicism/racial remarks witout knowing he is saying it, because when you get right down to it, in is head he is looking at who is ahead of his wife in this election to be President of this country.

The former President Clinton is wondering how could a black man be winning agains a white woman. So race is a factor in his head and the blacks that is voting for the Clinton should look in to these remarks that Senator Clinton Husband is makiing and think about them very HARD.

My opinion is; there should be no more Clinton elected to live in the WHITE HOUSE. Did people forget why the CLINTONS left the WHITE HOUSE?

Obama will be the next President and he will be a very good one too because he is a thinker for the people and all the people and not just one group like the Clintons are doing now. And OBAMA see what is taking place in this country from the bottom up.

Without an open mind and a brain to go with it, no one should be the president of any country.

LA, CA...

March 10, 2008 11:31 pm at 11:31 pm |
  6. Trevor

Ok, I have a comment. Since 1981, the Vice President or President role has always been filled by a member of 2 families... the Bushes and the Clintons. It began with W Senior under Reagan and may continue with the election of Hillary. Electing Hillary would continue the 2-family domination of presidential politics to a minimum of 32 years of 2 families holding the hightest power (4 yrs as VP and 28 yrs. as President). Am I the only one who sees something inheretingly wrong with this??? Why wouldn't we elect someone outside of these two families during a span of 32 years to these capacities??? Just doesn't seem right. Why doesn't this ever get pointed out in the media? I predict that in 30 years it'll be Jenna vs. Chealsea 🙂 Just food for thought...

March 10, 2008 11:31 pm at 11:31 pm |
  7. wheres tax records hillary?

HILLARY IS DESPERATE AS EVER. ACTING LIKE SHE'S IN THE DRIVERS SEAT WHEN YOUR CLEARLY LOSING IS A NEW LOW– EVEN FOR THE CLINTONS.

LIKE OBAMA SAID IN ONE OF HIS DEBATES.... " HILLARY CAN BE MY AIDE" SOUNDS LIKE THE RIGHT POSITION FOR HILLARY.

BILL CLINTON TO EVEN SUGGEST THIS IS BENEATH AN EX-PRESIDENT. JUST GOES TO SHOW HOW LOW A CLINTON WILL GO TO SUIT THEIR MEANS. CORRUPT.

OBAMA '08 : REAL CHANGE – FOR REAL AMERICA

March 10, 2008 11:33 pm at 11:33 pm |
  8. teachnator

Where's Hillary's experience? There is none. Where's her "likeability"? There is none. Where are her ideas to change America for the better? There are none. She & Slick Willy are the most dirty, despicable, disgusting "couple" in America. Please stop taking a swill of their KoolAid & think for youself. Vote McCain or Obama. Or... a true Dream ticket – "Mr. Experience" McCain, "Mr. Change" Obama! Try that for once, America! I'd vote for it!

March 10, 2008 11:33 pm at 11:33 pm |
  9. Harry

Anyone who some how thinks that a Clinton-Obama or Obama-Clinton ticket is unstoppable is CRAZY.

I WILL NOT VOTE FOR OBAMA-CLINTON CLINTON-OBAMA.

I am a big, huge Obama supporter. I'm trying to help him win my state (Pennsylvania). And if Obama took the VP under Clinton, I would lose respect for him because it would be proving that he's really not going for change. Could the argument be made that he's trying to unify the party? Yes. However, Clinton winning the White House is a bad thing, worse I believe, than John McCain.

That said, if it's an Obama-Clinton ticket, I'd be rather unhappy too. The Clinton's have had a negative influence on American politics. This is unfortunate, given that Bill had a decent 8 years in office.

I'm 22, born in 1985. In the White House (VP!) was a Bush. Then a Bush was president. Then Clinton was president. Then a Bush. The last thing I want is another Clinton. Not only do I think that she'll be extremely polarizing (more than G.W. Bush), but I can't stand the thought of a Democratic royal line, just like the Republicans have the Bush's. I've never been too keen on Camelot. We don't need a Waterlot.

March 10, 2008 11:34 pm at 11:34 pm |
  10. Juanito

The comments on many of these blogs, and particularly this one, are truly frightening. First, illiteracy is apparently running rampant with so many people unable to write 3 – 4 coherent complete sentences that are spelled properly. These people get to vote - how scary. Second, people who see their vote choice being between Clinton and McCain have no credibility in the Democratic party and must secretly be wishing for a Bush third term with continuing international mayhem. Finally, it amazes me that so many Democrats want to chose a strident, manipulative, moody, rude, angry, reactive and deceitful human being for President. These are the qualities of Republicans. I am giving my head a shake.

March 10, 2008 11:35 pm at 11:35 pm |
  11. JJ in NY

GOD LOVES AMERICA AND AMERICA HATES HILLARY. Her sleazy attempt to short-circuit Obama's campaign is backfiring. This is yet another example of the woman who would be queen but can't even manage her own campaign .

March 10, 2008 11:36 pm at 11:36 pm |
  12. TEE

Senator Clinton is trying her sympathy trick, again. She has no intentions to joint ticket with Senator Obama. Ask her about the running her possible running mate from Pennsylvania.

March 10, 2008 11:37 pm at 11:37 pm |
  13. anne

To the Clintons "the end justifies the means".Hilllary will trample over anybody or anything to get what she wants.Lies or truths are interchangeable if Bill or Hillary want to achieve something.

March 10, 2008 11:38 pm at 11:38 pm |
  14. One Voice

NEVEROBAMA needs to wake up! Your candidate (Hillary) sure thinks enough of Obama to suggest on multiple fronts the possibility of a joint ticket. Oh but maybe that's her self-serving, political machine at work....she really doesn't mean it, does she? At this point, Hillary has shown her true colors, as well as proven that she will do WHATEVER necessary to get the nomination...America is really TIRED of the same ole politics. Isn't there a two term limit on the Presidency....Bill can't run again. Enough of the Clintons and thank goodness we're getting out of the Bushes.

Barack the Vote!

March 10, 2008 11:38 pm at 11:38 pm |
  15. steve

UNBELIEVABLE! This totally ticks me off!! This is more clintonesque doublespeak, designed only at re-framing obama as #2. There is NO concern for the party or sincerity in the idea...its disgusting, pretentious, and frustrating! Albeit only time will show if voters are stupid enough to make it effective. C'mon billary...compete above board. But then you know doing so exposes your shallow self-serving agenda and need for power.

March 10, 2008 11:38 pm at 11:38 pm |
  16. smustaro

The more I read , the more I see, we're all getting to the same page. If " They " give this nomination to Obama, about 50% of all Dems are going to be voting for MC Cain. That's roughly the amount of the state splits. He's slightly ofer 50% of the vote in most places. Keep it up rude people.

March 10, 2008 11:38 pm at 11:38 pm |
  17. Leah, PA

It's a good test that clearly shows Obama is in the game plainly for the power

March 10, 2008 11:39 pm at 11:39 pm |
  18. kfutrell

Where does Clinton get off suggesting that O'bama be vice president when O'bama is in 1st place? I thought O'bama wasn't ready to be President, now she's suggesting she be vice president? That statement contradicts her earlier statement that a vice president should be ready day 1. When called on it, now she's stopping all that talk. Sorry folks, Clinton makes me sick. She flip flops all over the place. I have voted republican all my life. This is the first election that I am going to vote democrat. O'bama makes me feel something that I haven't felt in a long time. Hope. If O'bama doesn't win the democratic primary I will vote for Mccain even though I don't like him. I just don't like Clinton more.

March 10, 2008 11:39 pm at 11:39 pm |
  19. Luke

I don't like a liar to be the VP of Hillary, he's good only in singing but no solution in doing something, talk and talk can't solve the problem.

March 10, 2008 11:39 pm at 11:39 pm |
  20. Ed K.

Wolf,
    I notice CNN is now back to pushing Obama. I watched this weekend and today and all you see and hear is Obama, Obama and Obama. I've heard his HOPE speech until it's starting to get real old. Why can't CNN just report both Candidates evenly? After bashing Hillary for months she gets a little reprieve from CNN and wins Texas and Ohio then the Obama fans complain because CNN stopped giving him 80% of their air time and it looks like CNN is responding to their cries. Just be fair!!!!!

March 10, 2008 11:40 pm at 11:40 pm |
  21. Steve

Hillary to Obama: Back of the bus!

March 10, 2008 11:40 pm at 11:40 pm |
  22. Anne Marie

Hillar y somehow think that she is entitled to the president's position in the White House despite her second place position. I don't know why she doesn't just move in. This presumptuous behaviour should not be tolerated by the electorate. America reject Hillary and her Republican tatics. Obama 2008.

March 10, 2008 11:40 pm at 11:40 pm |
  23. Hillary-Persistence&Smarts 08

You know what? I initially thought of a Clinton/Obama ticket after Bill came up with the idea but I would rather she had McCain as her vice president then that nobama swell headed nonothing fueled by who knows what kind of bizarre trip with his who knows what is up church of his and Farrakan? Spare me, really. Nobama is a sickening dude with nothing to offer except his meaningless charisma which signifies nothing and has no direction.
    p.s. He should be happy if Hillary wanted him to be vice president because it's a big jump from being a senator and he sure isn't qualified to be president.

March 10, 2008 11:41 pm at 11:41 pm |
  24. Kimberly Sterrett

Subject THIS IS CLOSE

The Doctors Says:

A French doctor says, "Medicine in my country is so advanced that we can take a kidney out of one man, put it in another, and have him out looking for work in six weeks."

A German doctor says, "That is nothing. We can take a lung out of one person, put it in another, and have him out looking for work in four weeks."

A British doctor says, "In my country medicine is so advanced that we can take half a heart out of one person, put it in another, and have both of them out looking for work in two weeks."

The American doctor, not to be outdone, interjected, "You guys are way behind. We are about to take a woman with no brains, and no heart, put her In the White House, and then half the country will be out looking for work."

March 10, 2008 11:41 pm at 11:41 pm |
  25. Trevor

One more thought... I think Hillary's campaign has finally "jumped the shark" in suggesting that Obama be her running mate while she's actually losing the race to him. This is no doubt a turning point... I can't wait for her to point out his lack of experience again after suggesting he be her VP... doing so would be nothing more than delusional psycho-babble... how dumb do you think we are Hillary? You set yourself up for it.

And another thing... how comfortable do you think Hillary will be sitting at the same desk, in the same exact office, where her husband on multiple occasions fornicated with an intern? It's got to get to her at some point, I mean... c'mon really, think about it... would you want to take over your ex's job and their office where they were caught screwing around with the help... on the desk? Yeah... good luck with that!

March 10, 2008 11:43 pm at 11:43 pm |