March 11th, 2008

Mississippi takes center stage in tight Democratic race

CNN

CNN’s Sean Callebs takes a look at voter issues and turnout in Mississippi

(CNN) - One of the most Republican states in the nation takes center stage Tuesday in the battle for the Democratic presidential nomination.

Mississippi, which has not voted for a Democratic candidate in a presidential election in 32 years, holds a Democratic primary Tuesday.

With the campaigns of Sens. Hillary Clinton of New York and Barack Obama of Illinois battling for every delegate, the political spotlight is on a state not used to being the center of such attention.

Full story

Filed under: Mississippi
  1. David C. In Indianapolis

Hillary will downplay Mississippi, just like the other southern and red states Obama has won as being too black and too undemocratic. A scant few months ago, blacks would have followed the Clintons to the gates of hell. Now the latinos are picking up that mantle for her. I wonder President Obama will be calling Hillary for advice at 3am.

March 11, 2008 09:18 am at 9:18 am |
  2. J. McKinney SW MO

My comment is: GO, HILLARY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

March 11, 2008 09:18 am at 9:18 am |
  3. Hope

Mississippi, along with the rest of the states that have pushed Obama along, will sadly regret their vote. African-American people have spent so much fighting for rights and recognition and now you have this self-centered, arrogant, ignorant, wanna-be-president, of a creature, coming in to fullfill his selfish dreams, for his own benefit and not anybody else's. Obama is not about the American people. Obama is about himself! He will divide the African-American community away from the rest of the American public who are truly their family. I hope the African-American community WAKE-UP, GET EDUCATED ABOUT THE FACTS, and say no to this MARTIN-LUTHER-KING-WANNA-BE-PRESIDENT!

March 11, 2008 09:19 am at 9:19 am |
  4. SDunn

I would also like to add that the reason why she won Florida and Michigan was because of name recognition. For goodness sakes she was the first lady for 8 years, everyone knows who she is. I think Obama is doing an excellent job against the establishment "old way of thinking""Democratic party. He's getting hit on all sides and he's holding up so well. Hillary would buckle under pressure and I can not trust her judgement in a pressure moment if she was our President. She has already shown that she can't handle it.

March 11, 2008 09:20 am at 9:20 am |
  5. Davis

Gary what qualifications did Mr Bush have, How about Mr Reagan. All too often people like you just don't want change. Well I say God you make the choice.

March 11, 2008 09:20 am at 9:20 am |
  6. Darryl

I am replying to CHERYL: You really has been misinformed. To all who follow your way I don't blame you for your insurities in life. Please review the issues and look up Paul vs Clinton or all the corruption charges that the Clinton has been involved in. Hillary is very corrupted with payoff as well as campaign fund scandals, she lies and would not testify in court claiming some form of excutive right to the White house. As for Bill Clinton, Eliott Splitzer tjey just can't seem to keep it in their pants or is their wives fault?. What the Clinton Trail no one talking about this.

As my friend from Atlanta told me with the clinton you just`need to follow the money.

March 11, 2008 09:21 am at 9:21 am |
  7. Mary

All the pundits are stating that mississippi is heavily African American which means Barack Obama will get those votes.
    and race isn't controlling this election ?

March 11, 2008 09:21 am at 9:21 am |
  8. missnastyb

i think the fact that obama insists he is after the number one spot and puts down the idea of vp just shows he is more interested in his own dream of a change than that of the country. he is like a little child and saying if i cannot have it all i do not want anything.

March 11, 2008 09:22 am at 9:22 am |
  9. P.J.McCague

It appears to me from a distance that the White House has become a family business, the Clintons and the Bushs. I cant wait to see how Chelsea Clinton get on in 2012.

March 11, 2008 09:24 am at 9:24 am |
  10. Kentucky

Im a Hillary supporter and I don't know why we are always looked at in exit polls as the less edjamacated voters and that we are so easily persuaded by Hillary. I sure wish floks would stop fun'in about us. Why heck. I would buy a used car from the Clintons on any day of the week, except on monday when I have got to move the trailer. That thing they call NAFTA {don't know what it means} cost me my job at the foundry. GO Bill and hillary!

March 11, 2008 09:25 am at 9:25 am |
  11. Peter L.

Hannity's America is a progranda arm for the Republican party. Hannity is a moron. Look who owns and runs Fox News. Get a clue

March 11, 2008 09:25 am at 9:25 am |
  12. american

I am from illinois. Obama talks about inspiration and change. He should bring change in Southside of Chicago where he lives first and then talk about Change in America. Go Hillary 08

March 11, 2008 09:26 am at 9:26 am |
  13. Dan Wouk

I cannot believe the racist comments of some Hillary supporters. Well maybe I can.

March 11, 2008 09:27 am at 9:27 am |
  14. BV

Cheryl,
    If you're trying to make a serious point, and you reference Sean Hannity, you lose the argument by virtue of the fact that Sean Hannity is an epic tool. Sean Hannity=Rush Limbaugh=Bill O'Reilly=Ann Coulter etc etc etc. Terrible argument.

March 11, 2008 09:27 am at 9:27 am |
  15. MARIE

Gary, what is the real issue with you? Can't get past the color? African Americans aren't the only ones voting for Obama. I think you may have a problem with the color.

March 11, 2008 09:27 am at 9:27 am |
  16. Sam Rose

Obama will rake in 78% of the VOTE today
    Go Mississippi–
    Go Obama!!!!

March 11, 2008 09:28 am at 9:28 am |
  17. Jay T.

As a concerned veteran of the Navy, I am SUPER happy that Obama will soon be the Democratic nominee!! Lets help the U.S. save face in this world and reinstill hope here! Obama 08!

March 11, 2008 09:28 am at 9:28 am |
  18. Ohio Democrat

Of course Obama will take Mississippi. Most of the people are African American. But, if you come right out and say it, it offends people. That is the way the country is voting and everyone knows it. I think someone should drill Obama on how he feels about Israel and other middle east issues, instead of just letting him get up and talk and talk and talk.

Hillary 08

March 11, 2008 09:28 am at 9:28 am |
  19. Obama Nation

If we give in to the hype and Obama tactics this country will be an Obama Nation.

March 11, 2008 09:28 am at 9:28 am |
  20. fred

LOL, With 70% blacks...Hillary doesn't have a chance in Mississippi!!!

Let him have it...you have already won all the big states..the ones you have lost are the states with the Republicans crossing over and the where the big cities are mostly black like Missouri.

March 11, 2008 09:30 am at 9:30 am |
  21. Jab

It is a noooooooooooooooo brainer who will win that state!

March 11, 2008 09:31 am at 9:31 am |
  22. PA voter

Obama will win tonight then he comes to PA where he is way behind but from what I've been hearing. The double digit lead Clinton has will start to shrink and obama may pull PA out in the end. Watch PA close Clinton will have to carry alot of the rural vote, but Rendell isn't as popular in the Central and Western Part of the State as the East.

March 11, 2008 09:31 am at 9:31 am |
  23. John B.

Gary, put the pipe down and walk away. For all of the past presidential elections African American have had no choice but to get past the color. Considering the condition of the country that hasn't worked out very well has it ? I think you're the one with the bias problem. Where is all of this experience that Hillary is suppose to have ?
    p.s. The majority of people in Mississippi are not African Americans.

March 11, 2008 09:32 am at 9:32 am |
  24. Shewillnotadmitherdefit

Today obama is going to blow her away, guess what she is going to say. Oh that was expected he should win in mississipi. The real battle is pensilivania. What a joke Wake up hillary he won 27 states already this will be #28.

March 11, 2008 09:32 am at 9:32 am |
  25. Channell

Sean Hannity is a conspiracy theorist...he does not report facts...DUH!

Mississippi do the right thing..vote Obama!

March 11, 2008 09:34 am at 9:34 am |