March 11th, 2008

Mississippi takes center stage in tight Democratic race

CNN

CNN’s Sean Callebs takes a look at voter issues and turnout in Mississippi

(CNN) - One of the most Republican states in the nation takes center stage Tuesday in the battle for the Democratic presidential nomination.

Mississippi, which has not voted for a Democratic candidate in a presidential election in 32 years, holds a Democratic primary Tuesday.

With the campaigns of Sens. Hillary Clinton of New York and Barack Obama of Illinois battling for every delegate, the political spotlight is on a state not used to being the center of such attention.

Full story

Filed under: Mississippi
  1. HILLLARY 08

Voter turnout isn't expected to be high, MS newspapers are reporting low to moderate turnout for the state 125k-150k. Why CNN is reporting different on the media is beyond me.

March 11, 2008 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  2. Roberta

Let's keep real!...Barak Obama or Hillary Clinton are not in the Democratic Vice- Presidential race.

March 11, 2008 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  3. Question

I keep hearing about the African American vote. Why would people from Africa care about the American Presidential race? Exactly what is an African American? Are you not one or the other?

March 11, 2008 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  4. Harvey

Obama will win Mississippi because 70% of registered Dem are Black + indep and rep blacks can vote in this primary also. Its a fact he wins all the black votes..and they say race doesnot play a part. I spent a week in the hosp and the nurse says obama obama and I ask why she says hes black first black president oh well race will always be around in this country

March 11, 2008 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  5. victor

Hallary should choose Billy boy or her New York governor for the post of VP. Obama is not dirty to use by hallary.

March 11, 2008 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  6. IDI

OBAMA NEXT PRESIDENT OF U.S.A NO CLINTON ,NO MC CAIN

March 11, 2008 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  7. ADL

Gary, blacks are voting for Obama and whites voted for David Duke. Race matters in this country. That's no secret, but there's a huge difference between why blacks (among others) are supporting Obama and why southern whites supported Duke.

March 11, 2008 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  8. Obama Nation

It's not Obama that concerns me...It's the people that buy into his team's marketing and the mob mentality. They are like liberal "ditto heads".

March 11, 2008 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  9. Enough Said

Carlos read something …not just the headlines…then you will find a photo of Hillary and Bill Clinton posing with none other than TONY REZCO….seems he was a CLINTON CAMPAIGN CONTRIBUTOR when slick willy was running years ago. At least Obama gave his Rezco contributions to charity…….what did the Clintons use theirs for…. Bill's presidential library? Maybe that's why Hillary won't release those documents along with her tax returns.

March 11, 2008 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  10. Fred

I see Hillary I see Bush Lieing and cheating. And you people that vote for her have no Morals or Intergerty. Just dishonesty.

March 11, 2008 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  11. Tina

GO OBAMA! The nation needs a president like you!

March 11, 2008 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  12. HHH

Clilntonite

LEARN HOW TO SPELL...EVEN YOUR NAME IS MISSPELLED.

March 11, 2008 10:17 am at 10:17 am |
  13. Kim Johnson of Va.

To: Dave
    Yes I did see Campbell last night and yes she was rude. Don't like her at all. I wish it was me that she interviewed. See Sen. McCaskil was to easy. I would have lit her up!!! She knows who to interview and who not to interview. The people that are talking about African Americans aren't intelligent look around you see we are prospering in everything. Just watch we are moving on up and there is not darn thing anyone one can do about it.

Go Obama

March 11, 2008 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  14. Eli

I have lived in Mississippi my entire life and I can tell you that Mississippi will probably go to Obama because they are people voting this time that has never voted before. They are either voting along racial lines and could care less about the policy of the person they are voting for or they are voting for the candidate just because he is a man and could care less if they thought he could run the country because they KNOW John McCain will win this state in November. People in Mississippi and it looks like other states also are way more sexist than racist. BOTH of these discriminations are just as bad as the other.

March 11, 2008 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  15. 4 shame

It is funny that most of you members of Hillary’s Spinster group want to make this about Blacks voting for Barack. Well none of you have proven why she is qualified, you are voting for her because of what she has between her legs. Hypocrites.

March 11, 2008 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  16. Liberal "Dittto Head"

Go Obama!

March 11, 2008 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  17. Niagra Falls, slowly I turn, step by step.....

As much as I detest Sean Hannity, the statements he made regarding Obama can be independently verified. Facts are facts, and you can't hide from the truth when you are running from the highest public office in the land.

March 11, 2008 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  18. John

The real fact is: Mr. McCain will be easily beating Mr. Obama but not Ms. Clinton. So, Mr. Obama win the primary for what!

I am feeling Mr. Obama is so naive in the politics.

March 11, 2008 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  19. Tommy in St. Louis

Gotta love this "no experience" garbage that Hillary and her supporters are trying to throw at Obama. Bill Clinton was just about the same age when he was elected in 1992, and what was his big experience – serving as governor of Arkansas? Not even a big state, but a small state? But they considered his lack of experience a good thing back then, because Bush 41 was "out of touch" and we needed "change" in Washington. So why all of a sudden does this artificial "experience" standard exist for Obama? It's a double standard, unless they want to admit that their own Bill Clinton was unprepared to be president in 1992, and want to discuss his long list of screwups. That is their argument's logical conclusion.

But if you do want to hold Obama up to this fake "experience" standard, well, then, he's held elected office longer than Hillary has. So put that in your pipe and smoke it!

March 11, 2008 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  20. Victor

Simply put...people are scared to say "black". After all, I hear tons of blacks calling caucasians "whites". Here in New York, all you hear are these young black kids calling each other the "N" word. But should a white person say it, oh oh you better start trembling.

Question March 11th, 2008 10:09 am ET

March 11, 2008 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  21. Eli

JOHN MCCAIN WILL WIN MS IN NOVEMBER. I have lived my entire life in MS and this state is RED to the core. I dont care if ever black or white democrat stands in lines for two days to vote it will go to John McCain. I want a DEMOCRAT in the White House but my state want but one there.

March 11, 2008 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  22. Fort Smith, AR

The bottom line of all of this is: Anyone is better than the current administration. I'd rather see my dog in office than some of the clowns running things right now.

I believe Obama has what it takes to make the country work, so much rides on having a good administration and not just being a good president, and I firmly believe that whether you want to play the "experience" card or not, Obama has enough supporters in the wing that can advise him from years of related work.

March 11, 2008 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  23. Eli SF Bay Area

After Obama WINS Miss today, he'll show Mrs. Clinton the EXIT door!

Enough Already Hil, you're done, like a burnt piece of toast!

March 11, 2008 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  24. macbeth

OBAMA WON TEXAS!! Won more delegates.

From AOL news:

Obama: 61 delegates from the popular vote + 38 delegates from caucuses = 99 delegates.

Clinton: 65 delegates from the popular vote + 30 delegates from Caucuses = 95 delegates.

SPIN THAT HILARY!!

March 11, 2008 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  25. Looser

Hi Obama,

What is wrong as a Vice Presidency? Actually you are not deserve as a muslim president in America, because you are ultimately going back to your blood level.

Accept or go loose it.