March 14th, 2008

Ferraro: Obama camp 'did it to hurt Hillary'

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/03/13/art.ferraro1.ap.jpg caption=" Ferraro is standing by her original comment. "](CNN) - One day after she stepped down from her role in Hillary Clinton's presidential bid, Geraldine Ferraro said she blames Barack Obama's campaign for the uproar over her recent comments.

In an interview Thursday with CNN affiliate WJAR in Providence, Rhode Island, the onetime vice presidential candidate also said the Obama campaign made a mistake in taking aim at her remarks.

"I do think this was a mistake on part of the Obama campaign," she said. "They didn't have to do this, and they did it to hurt Hillary. I just think that's bad. I think it's bad business, and I think it's bad politics.

"I was accused of being divisive. I think those tactics are divisive," she added. "And the amazing thing is it's not something I started, its something they did in reaction to this."

Ferraro also implored Obama's campaign to turn "the spigot off the hate mail I am getting."

"I find it very, very upsetting," she said. " I've been called all kinds of names, and the attacks are ageist, they're sexist, they're racist. It's been very, very uncomfortable.

Ferraro resigned her fundraising post with Clinton's campaign on Wednesday, after taking heat for telling a newspaper last week that Obama's campaign was successful because he was black.

The Illinois senator's campaign denounced the comments on Tuesday and Obama himself called them "patently absurd." Clinton said she repudiated the remarks, though did not publicly call for Ferraro to resign.

In the interview Thursday, Ferraro suggested she did not regret making the comments, saying she was "talking to the facts," and that the issue of race has been raised several times in the campaign before, including by Obama himself.

"The enthusiasm you get from the black community over this black candidate is wonderful, and I don't think you can deny it," she said. "No more than I remember how people felt when I was running."

Ferraro, who was Walter Mondale's running mate in 1984, was the first woman to appear on a major presidential ticket. She has said she raised about $125,000 for Clinton's campaign.

- CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Geraldine Ferraro
  1. Pat Carpenter

Ms. Ferraro, In my opinion you are a bitter old woman, who is long past doing any good for the Democratic party, or yourself for that matter. You made the remarks, and your only defense is to claim Obama some how is to blame. Sad, Sad, Sad.

March 13, 2008 07:49 pm at 7:49 pm |
  2. Will

Don't worry Edwards will be on the ticket somewhere. Thats the only way Hillary will get into office. And I don't believe that Obama will make it, to many rumors.

March 13, 2008 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  3. K. Thomas

Seriously, will this woman please stop talking?!? I mean come on....

March 13, 2008 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  4. Seleshi

I don't know why she keeps on taking about it. Just let her wash her mouth with soap & water & remember not to do it the third time.

March 13, 2008 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  5. Bob from Santa Fe

She didn't insult Obama. She insulted every one of his supporters (including me) by implying that we only support him because of the color of his skin. I deeply resent that.

March 13, 2008 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  6. Christian, Tampa FL

Geraldine, stop trashing your reputation. This is ridiculous and it's not only hurting the Democratic party, but it's also hurting the nation.

March 13, 2008 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  7. K. Thomas

Seriously, can this woman please STOP talking?!? This is getting beyond ridiculous....

March 13, 2008 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  8. Claudius

Geraldine, please shut up. For all of our sakes.

March 13, 2008 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  9. Ilse

The Obama campaign and Obama supporters have to stop making everything everyone says a race issue. It's a deliberate attempt on their part to smear Senator Clinton. Well, it won't work. .Just take a look at what Obama's preacher preaches. Now there is divisiveness and hatred and racism.

March 13, 2008 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  10. Jenna

Hang in there Geraldine, we no your record and you have proven through your life works that you are always on the minority side whether it be a woman minority or race minority!

Hang in there!

March 13, 2008 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  11. C. MacLean, Raleigh, NC

The person who has hurt Hilary is you, Gerry. You've managed to hurt her all by yourself, without any help from anyone else.

March 13, 2008 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  12. Heath, Bronx, NY

I hate to say it, but this might be Hillary in 15 years.

March 13, 2008 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  13. Mad gramma

OMG, just like Hillary. Blames someone else for what "she" says.

March 13, 2008 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  14. Pfunk

Hey Geraldine here's a thought, SHUT UP!!!! maybe you wouldn't be in the predicament you're in if you didn't keep digging a perpetual hole for yourself.

March 13, 2008 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  15. USMCVET

She made the race comments but somehow it's Obama fault?

March 13, 2008 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  16. K. Thomas

Sigh, I'm always "awaiting moderation." Gerry, for pete's sake, stop NOW!

March 13, 2008 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  17. anton

The more foul-mouthed the Obama fans become, the more people will get turned of to the Obama campaign and if he loses, look in the mirror and you have yourself to thank for Hillary winning.

March 13, 2008 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  18. Dave C - N.J.

YES! It's all Obama's fault! LOL

March 13, 2008 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  19. rachae

I don't understand her reasoning or lack there of. Obama doesn't control what is published by the media. They brought him the quote and asked him to comment. I wish she would shut up.

March 13, 2008 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  20. Desdemondo

This poor old lady was simply being a nuisance.

Leave politics to those people with a life and a future and go back to a nursing home in sunny Florida where you belong, where your old fuzzy way of thinking may gain a little more broadmindedness and clarity.

March 13, 2008 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  21. Frank

If the Obama camp did this to hurt Hillary, what about Hillary's camp constantly mention Obama's non-readiness to be Commander-In-Chief when just today, he got endorsements from several active and retired Flag Officers from the Navy, Army, and Air Force...What about the 3AM ad? What about the picture of Obama in Kenyan garb? What about her insistence on saying his middle name? I guess that wasn't intended to hurt Obama?

March 13, 2008 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  22. Lenore Z.

She said the amazing thing is that it's not something she started?

This lady is delusional. Needs a reality check.

March 13, 2008 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  23. Will

She just wants to have the final say in this so she can say to herself "I'm right, your wrong".

Swallow a little pride and be quiet, she's only doing more damage to her friend Hillary at this point.

March 13, 2008 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  24. joe

I suggest you google "Obama's pastor". Fools. All of us.

March 13, 2008 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  25. Col. Nathan Jessep

Ageist, sexist, and racist comments?

Ah, dear, that's what you did. Your detractors, however foolishly, are responding in kind.

March 13, 2008 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |