March 14th, 2008

Ferraro: Obama camp 'did it to hurt Hillary'

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/03/13/art.ferraro1.ap.jpg caption=" Ferraro is standing by her original comment. "](CNN) - One day after she stepped down from her role in Hillary Clinton's presidential bid, Geraldine Ferraro said she blames Barack Obama's campaign for the uproar over her recent comments.

In an interview Thursday with CNN affiliate WJAR in Providence, Rhode Island, the onetime vice presidential candidate also said the Obama campaign made a mistake in taking aim at her remarks.

"I do think this was a mistake on part of the Obama campaign," she said. "They didn't have to do this, and they did it to hurt Hillary. I just think that's bad. I think it's bad business, and I think it's bad politics.

"I was accused of being divisive. I think those tactics are divisive," she added. "And the amazing thing is it's not something I started, its something they did in reaction to this."

Ferraro also implored Obama's campaign to turn "the spigot off the hate mail I am getting."

"I find it very, very upsetting," she said. " I've been called all kinds of names, and the attacks are ageist, they're sexist, they're racist. It's been very, very uncomfortable.

Ferraro resigned her fundraising post with Clinton's campaign on Wednesday, after taking heat for telling a newspaper last week that Obama's campaign was successful because he was black.

The Illinois senator's campaign denounced the comments on Tuesday and Obama himself called them "patently absurd." Clinton said she repudiated the remarks, though did not publicly call for Ferraro to resign.

In the interview Thursday, Ferraro suggested she did not regret making the comments, saying she was "talking to the facts," and that the issue of race has been raised several times in the campaign before, including by Obama himself.

"The enthusiasm you get from the black community over this black candidate is wonderful, and I don't think you can deny it," she said. "No more than I remember how people felt when I was running."

Ferraro, who was Walter Mondale's running mate in 1984, was the first woman to appear on a major presidential ticket. She has said she raised about $125,000 for Clinton's campaign.

- CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Geraldine Ferraro
  1. Kathy

I support her and she speaks the truth, people.

March 13, 2008 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  2. TAR HEEL

she can't shut up can she?

March 13, 2008 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  3. I saw the clip and it was straight to point!

Such ignorance, a small bit was taken out of context in a speech. 91 percent of African Americans are voting for OBAMA. Case in point! That is a racist remark. The only thing racist about it is the one race is voting for their race overwhelmingly.

For the Idiots in the above posts, this lady was very much active in civil rights. How dare you! Ignorance is great in this posting area

March 13, 2008 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  4. Maria

So...

Obama forced her to isinuate that he was nothing more than an affirmative action candidate, for over a week on several different occasions, just to make Hillary look bad?

Right...

March 13, 2008 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  5. Catminder

Well, Well! Someone has forgotten that Politics is a contact sport. The departure will not help. Just as the comment did not help. Hillary is going to lose.

March 13, 2008 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  6. Becky in In.

She said something about their superstar. They swoon, they faint but they never wonder about his qualifications. He is a handsome well spoken young man, but i'm sorry anyone with half a brain knows he doesn't have the experience.

March 13, 2008 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |
  7. GoHill

I agree
    It is all to sabotage Hillary.
    No matter what it is that is said and done.
    The media says no big deal if it is Obama or Michelle.
    The media cries foul if it is Hillary or Bill.
    This whole campaign it has been thus.
    Can not say anything negative about anyone but Hillary- she is fair game and has been called every disgusting name in the book, and has been accused of all kinds of things- just to be hateful of her.

March 13, 2008 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |
  8. karen

Geraldine who???

March 13, 2008 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |
  9. Geraldine is Fierce-In a Good Way!

Thank you Geraldine for echoing what is on people's minds anyway. Isn't truth what it is all about?

March 13, 2008 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  10. FrankSmith

Why even try to blog when these idiots simply do not respect "freedom of speech" that verges on the truth?

March 13, 2008 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  11. Trollmaster

Who cares what this nobody thinks? She should go hang out with Mondale, Dukakis, Kerry and the other stand for nothing losers that didn't have a clue how to run for president. Who would want their help anyway?

This woman is like your mother in law who overstays her 3 day visit to your house by 1 month.

March 13, 2008 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  12. Nadia, Houston

What on Earth? She blames Obama? The words came out of HER mouth!

March 13, 2008 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  13. Ray

Ferraro:

None of us will ever know for sure what you meant. But we know what you said. It didn't sound good. It's your fault for saying it, and you can't dodge the blame. Please stop the attempts at spin and recovery.

Between Ferraro, Pelosi and Spitzer, we are way too distracted by noise. Does anyone remember there are some issues to talk about?

March 13, 2008 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  14. In the Tank for Hillary!

The truth hurts.

Obama would not even be in the position he is in if it wasn't for the black vote, the novelty factor and that people will vote for anyone to avoid a woman from becoming president.

When you speak the truth people can't accept how shallow they are and attact the person calling them racist. The fact is these are the people that are really racist and sexist.

March 13, 2008 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  15. Erick

I am totally in agreement with her, a lot of the support that he's getting such as 80-90 percent of black voters has nothing to do with race? Please, unfortunately the truth hurts, I am proud that she has spoken up and for one I respect her the more for it. I will not vote for Obama because he's fake. I have decided to cross party lines for the first time in my life and vote for McCain if Clinton doesn't win. I feel sorry for the Obama fanatics, its a bit scary to be so obsessed.

March 13, 2008 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  16. newz4i

"I was accused of being divisive," she says. Yep, you're now being divisive. Take a nice drive. Enjoy yourself. Get out of this.

March 13, 2008 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  17. Johnboy

Negative comments are hurled at Hillary all the time and no one says anything.
    The media is the worst- they are vile and viscious towards Hillary and almost worshipful to Obama.

March 13, 2008 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  18. Sharon of Illinois

I think its odd that someone like Farrakhan who was not working on Obama's campaign and whose endorsement was not solicited needed to be rejected to appease Hillary and she can't do the same for someone who did work on her campaign? I smell double standard.

March 13, 2008 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  19. JoeCA

This explains why she resigned from the campaign. I get a feeling she plans to make this last for another week or two at the least...something she couldn't have done if she was still part of Clinton's campaign.

March 13, 2008 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  20. LA

Geraldine Ferraro has a right to express her views. In the age of political correctness, we are out of practice discussing the difficult issues of our time.

We are learning a lot about our country and about ourselves during this campaign. It appears that we still have a very high tolerance for sexism, what a shame.

March 13, 2008 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  21. Jim Loomis

What nonsense! Geraldine, here is the best advice anyone can give you: shut up!

March 13, 2008 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  22. Marshal Phillips, Wichita, Kansas

Actually if you really parse her words and her intentions she only spoke factually giving her honest opinion. Just because someone mentions the factor of race in and of itself does not make the remark "racist."
    I suport both Hillary AND Obama and I don't care who wins the Dem nomination. The most important thing, in my opinion, is that we defeat Bush McCain!

March 13, 2008 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  23. Mary,Calgary,Canada

Clinton/Spitzer 08

March 13, 2008 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  24. bill pike

of course-if it walks like a clinton, talks like a clinton, acts like a clinton, it must be a clinton. she is using this to attack just like the clintons do in everything to win no matter what the costs. she is even more free now to attack without the clintons having to try to act as if they oppose what she has to say. any idiot sees this is a way to attack obama to get to the white and latino vote–shame. please clintons go back to arkansas if yoiu can.

March 13, 2008 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  25. Citizen

Gerri and Hillary should stop their player hating. Don't Obama, hate the game.

March 13, 2008 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |