March 14th, 2008

Ferraro: Obama camp 'did it to hurt Hillary'

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/03/13/art.ferraro1.ap.jpg caption=" Ferraro is standing by her original comment. "](CNN) - One day after she stepped down from her role in Hillary Clinton's presidential bid, Geraldine Ferraro said she blames Barack Obama's campaign for the uproar over her recent comments.

In an interview Thursday with CNN affiliate WJAR in Providence, Rhode Island, the onetime vice presidential candidate also said the Obama campaign made a mistake in taking aim at her remarks.

"I do think this was a mistake on part of the Obama campaign," she said. "They didn't have to do this, and they did it to hurt Hillary. I just think that's bad. I think it's bad business, and I think it's bad politics.

"I was accused of being divisive. I think those tactics are divisive," she added. "And the amazing thing is it's not something I started, its something they did in reaction to this."

Ferraro also implored Obama's campaign to turn "the spigot off the hate mail I am getting."

"I find it very, very upsetting," she said. " I've been called all kinds of names, and the attacks are ageist, they're sexist, they're racist. It's been very, very uncomfortable.

Ferraro resigned her fundraising post with Clinton's campaign on Wednesday, after taking heat for telling a newspaper last week that Obama's campaign was successful because he was black.

The Illinois senator's campaign denounced the comments on Tuesday and Obama himself called them "patently absurd." Clinton said she repudiated the remarks, though did not publicly call for Ferraro to resign.

In the interview Thursday, Ferraro suggested she did not regret making the comments, saying she was "talking to the facts," and that the issue of race has been raised several times in the campaign before, including by Obama himself.

"The enthusiasm you get from the black community over this black candidate is wonderful, and I don't think you can deny it," she said. "No more than I remember how people felt when I was running."

Ferraro, who was Walter Mondale's running mate in 1984, was the first woman to appear on a major presidential ticket. She has said she raised about $125,000 for Clinton's campaign.

- CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Geraldine Ferraro
  1. objectiveman

So... is the media keeping this going JUST to damage Clinton?

March 13, 2008 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  2. M. S. Indiana

Looks like a x file case.... the truth is out there woman, wake up

March 13, 2008 07:28 pm at 7:28 pm |
  3. John

Is she serious? She makes the comments and it's Obamas fault that people reacted the way they did? I'm still waiting for somebody to call her out on the fact that she has said this exact same thing before.

March 13, 2008 07:28 pm at 7:28 pm |
  4. Anybody but Clinton

"I'm ready for my close-up Mr. DeMille". Go back to playing bridge with the wax-works.

March 13, 2008 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  5. Larry Habrowski

Does she actually believe that the revulsion to her comments are any way encouraged, coordinated or solicited by the Obama organization? Is she related to Eliot Spitzer? She has lost it. Maybe some one could explain to her that she is to blame and only she is to blame for the response to her remarks.

March 13, 2008 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  6. fletc3her

I think this is a case of Ferraro reaping what she sows. She uses race baiting to try to attack Obama and it comes back around to bite her. As a former Vice Presidential candidate she has to know that her remarks are going to be scrutinized. It is her right to say what's on her mind, but that does not erase our right to respond.

March 13, 2008 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  7. Reg20032

This woman is absolutely crazy. It's scary to think that she was once a VP candidate!

March 13, 2008 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  8. Candace

Ferraro is incredible. She can't take responsibility for anything. Also, this pattern of striking out at Obama and then crying victim afterwards seems to be the trend with Hillary and her supporters. Stop whining and take responsibility for your actions!

March 13, 2008 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  9. Insight

I believe that it's Ferraro's own remark that hurts Hillary. She needs to learn to admit her mistake and appologize. She should have realized that such remark would provoke this kind of reaction. No one likes an attack on his or her own identity.

March 13, 2008 07:30 pm at 7:30 pm |
  10. becky

i don't know why they want her to say sorry,obama didn't say sorry about his minister remarks.

March 13, 2008 07:30 pm at 7:30 pm |
  11. Irishspacemonk

Ok...the poor lady just doesn't get it does she...speaking of digging holes, she's now to the point where she's starting to backfill on herself.

March 13, 2008 07:30 pm at 7:30 pm |
  12. Golden Chica

Ferraro is right. The media is making too much to do about nothing. The Obama camp is using the race card to keep the media from digging into his relationship with the pastor of his church among other things. The media should stop playing the race card and find out all there is to find out about Obama's mentor before it is too late and he gets the nomination.

March 13, 2008 07:30 pm at 7:30 pm |
  13. Jim in GA

Who is Geraldine Ferraro and why should I care?

March 13, 2008 07:30 pm at 7:30 pm |
  14. Rob

Geeze...can you say, "need attention?"

March 13, 2008 07:30 pm at 7:30 pm |
  15. ZACH BARKER

Typical......What an old battleax...she needs to just give it up already

March 13, 2008 07:30 pm at 7:30 pm |
  16. CJ in CO

Gerry – don't go away mad and bitter; just go away.

March 13, 2008 07:30 pm at 7:30 pm |
  17. LA

She needs to stop talking. And CNN needs to stop listening.

March 13, 2008 07:31 pm at 7:31 pm |
  18. John

What a sad story.

Please go away. The only person you're helping is John McCain.

March 13, 2008 07:31 pm at 7:31 pm |
  19. David

CNN and every other major media outlet is still reporting on Her because it is exactly what was planned by the Penn/Wolfson/Ickes braintrust. Dont expect it to stop until Monday. She is sure to get a seat at one of the Sunday talk shows.

March 13, 2008 07:31 pm at 7:31 pm |
  20. Churchill

Does this lady know when the game is up?

March 13, 2008 07:32 pm at 7:32 pm |
  21. John

I agree with Tim.

March 13, 2008 07:32 pm at 7:32 pm |
  22. mike

My mother and all her friends are loosing their minds...

March 13, 2008 07:32 pm at 7:32 pm |
  23. Jbecks

you didn't need to do this Gerry. You did this to hurt Barack. Tell me any other reason to say these things, even if you believe them.

March 13, 2008 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |
  24. Erin

Wow – she is a mess. I cannot believe that she is trying to blame the Obama campaign for her own self-destruction. She needs to shut up.

March 13, 2008 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |
  25. Bewda Shambu

Who is this woman after all? In what capacity is she making these crazy comments? And why is CNN giving her their valued news space?

March 13, 2008 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |