March 14th, 2008

Ferraro: Obama camp 'did it to hurt Hillary'

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/03/13/art.ferraro1.ap.jpg caption=" Ferraro is standing by her original comment. "](CNN) - One day after she stepped down from her role in Hillary Clinton's presidential bid, Geraldine Ferraro said she blames Barack Obama's campaign for the uproar over her recent comments.

In an interview Thursday with CNN affiliate WJAR in Providence, Rhode Island, the onetime vice presidential candidate also said the Obama campaign made a mistake in taking aim at her remarks.

"I do think this was a mistake on part of the Obama campaign," she said. "They didn't have to do this, and they did it to hurt Hillary. I just think that's bad. I think it's bad business, and I think it's bad politics.

"I was accused of being divisive. I think those tactics are divisive," she added. "And the amazing thing is it's not something I started, its something they did in reaction to this."

Ferraro also implored Obama's campaign to turn "the spigot off the hate mail I am getting."

"I find it very, very upsetting," she said. " I've been called all kinds of names, and the attacks are ageist, they're sexist, they're racist. It's been very, very uncomfortable.

Ferraro resigned her fundraising post with Clinton's campaign on Wednesday, after taking heat for telling a newspaper last week that Obama's campaign was successful because he was black.

The Illinois senator's campaign denounced the comments on Tuesday and Obama himself called them "patently absurd." Clinton said she repudiated the remarks, though did not publicly call for Ferraro to resign.

In the interview Thursday, Ferraro suggested she did not regret making the comments, saying she was "talking to the facts," and that the issue of race has been raised several times in the campaign before, including by Obama himself.

"The enthusiasm you get from the black community over this black candidate is wonderful, and I don't think you can deny it," she said. "No more than I remember how people felt when I was running."

Ferraro, who was Walter Mondale's running mate in 1984, was the first woman to appear on a major presidential ticket. She has said she raised about $125,000 for Clinton's campaign.

- CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Geraldine Ferraro
  1. Ryan

I see nothing wrong with her comments. They were 100% true.

March 13, 2008 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |
  2. Ron

Wow, this is getting more and more offensive. Just deal with the fact that you said something stupid and leave forever, far away from the ears of the media. Your only making matters worse, and making yourself look more like who you say you aren't.

March 13, 2008 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |
  3. Anonymous

This is the most stupid and dumb thing I have ever heard anyone say. She made the comment, first on a radio show and then repeated it in a speech and is now trying to blame the Obama camp. It is evident what kind of a Vice President she would have made.

March 13, 2008 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |
  4. Dancindukes

Gerri: You put yourself out there & now you are complaining about emails that disagree with you? You are divisive when you make comments like those about Mr Obama. You would not even answer direct questions by Ann Curry on NBC Nightly News. You are typical of the Clinton mindset. The fault lies elsewhere. It was the American people that caused the uproar, not the Obama campaign.

March 13, 2008 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |
  5. Jake

This woman is loopy. But anybody who spends 10 minutes researching Clinton's past and supports her anyway would have to be.

March 13, 2008 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  6. Goodheart

Obama and his camp have a double standard. They can attack, but if they're attacked, they cry racism because he is black. If he steals the nomination from Hillary (through caucus victories where everyone does not vote and through no votes in FL and MI), you can bet in the general election the Republicans will take the gloves off and come all out against him, despite all the whining from his campaign.

March 13, 2008 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  7. marek

Maybe Hillary will give Ferraro campaign contribution to charity, but I will bet she will not.

March 13, 2008 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  8. Enough Already

Wake up America and get your head out of the clouds to the reality of who has experience to run this country !!!

March 13, 2008 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  9. bryce baker, Portland, OR

please go back to the hole you crawled out of immediately.

March 13, 2008 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  10. Greg

My guess is it is always someone else's fault with her.

March 13, 2008 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  11. Win, Boston

Geraldine, cry me a river!

If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen!

March 13, 2008 07:36 pm at 7:36 pm |
  12. Tommie

This is the most press she's probably had since 1984...

March 13, 2008 07:36 pm at 7:36 pm |
  13. Richard

She's a plant by the Clinton campaign to keep the issue of race in play for the PA primary.

March 13, 2008 07:36 pm at 7:36 pm |
  14. Vernon Joseph

What was her motive for saying what she said in the first place? I guess it was to help Obama. Right!

March 13, 2008 07:36 pm at 7:36 pm |
  15. JD

When the Hillary Clinton campaign rejects you because your comments are too negative, you should realize you've gone way, way over the line, and keep your mouth shut.

March 13, 2008 07:37 pm at 7:37 pm |
  16. Michael Portland Maine

"I was accused of being divisive. I think those tactics are divisive," Talk about the pot calling the kettle "black".

March 13, 2008 07:37 pm at 7:37 pm |
  17. CommonSense

She said she resigned from the Hillary campaign because she wanted this out of the news, yet she keeps doing more news shows to talk about it. Makes sense...if you're a liar.

March 13, 2008 07:37 pm at 7:37 pm |
  18. Jessica Price, California

Good girl! You are very brave to tell the truth! We are with you! We respect you!

March 13, 2008 07:37 pm at 7:37 pm |
  19. siddique

After this incident, I will NOT volunteer even 1 minute for Hillary in November if she wins the primary. The only way I might change my mind is if Obama is on her ticket. I am a diehard Democrat who now holds Ferraro AND the Cintons in contempt.

March 13, 2008 07:38 pm at 7:38 pm |
  20. IP

I guess she expected flowers to fall for her and Hillary after what she said. Pls stop publishing what she has to say.

March 13, 2008 07:38 pm at 7:38 pm |
  21. NYObama

No Lady, "You did it to hurt Hillary"...

March 13, 2008 07:38 pm at 7:38 pm |
  22. Evan

She is a bit thick, isn't she?

It's amazing to think that Clinton actually let this racist piece of work speak on her behalf at all.

Well – I guess it just goes to show what the Senator's judgment is like.

March 13, 2008 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  23. Alice Rea

President Clinton was called the "black"president. His office is in Harlem. Does that sound predjudiced or racist. Hello.....
    The African Americans have abandoned him for no reason other than they love the fact that an African American is on the ticket. It'sthat simple. Their is not way they hate the Clintons. They just love Obama more. That's okay

March 13, 2008 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  24. Misty

Booo hooooo hoooo!
    Enough- she makes sexist and racist remarks and cries foul all to herself– Gives human beings a bad name.

March 13, 2008 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  25. mary

Please lady, shot your mouth, there is anough damages from your part. or meaby you are not realize what you are doing.. DOCTOR PLEASE.......

March 13, 2008 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |